PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion

moosmom
12-21-2002, 04:01 PM
I need everyone's opinion on this situation...

I drive by this house around the corner every single day. On the front porch (not screened in or anything) is a black and white cat. He is always there in the daytime. I don't see him at night so I don't know whether the owner's (it MAY not even be their cat) take him in at night or he goes for shelter after dark.

What do you think I should do?? It's cold out for us humans let alone a poor cat. Too cold to be outside, IMO.

Randi
12-21-2002, 04:14 PM
I think you should knock on the door and politely ask. If the cat belongs to them, they may be very sad if he/she suddenly disappears. If it's a stray cat, he/she may be there because they're feeding every day at a certain time - but, as you say, the cat shouldn't be out for that long! :)

boscibo
12-21-2002, 04:44 PM
That is a tough one. But some cats are working cats - at the barn where I keep my horse there are semi-feral barn cats. They live in an unheated barn year round (there are warm hay/straw bale bedrooms, but to me it still feels cold) but they are there to keep the mice down. Every barn I've been to has had outdoor barn cats - and those unheated barns can get cold! Most working cats (mousers) have to be outside for their jobs. I would maybe stop, and knock and ask the people (maybe make something up like it looks like a cat you know and wanted to get a closer look?) and see what the situation is.

Uabassoon
12-21-2002, 04:50 PM
I think you should knock and polietly ask if it is there cat. Sometimes cats are outside for a reason. Like I have a 15 year old Tuxedo who lives on my porch. She belonged to the previous people that lived in this house who passed away. I know that moving her would be stressful, and she's lived 15 years outside. The landlord tried to make her an indoor cat but she went nuts. So we feed her and just let her hang out on our porch. We have blankets and stuff for her, the porch is semi-screened year round the temerature on the porch isn't that bad. But she's really happy there on the porch, so we just leave her.

toughCookie
12-21-2002, 05:28 PM
I agree with everyone, knock on the door:)

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2002, 01:13 AM
I also agree that you should knock on your neighbors door to find out if they own the cat.

Miss Meow
12-22-2002, 01:45 AM
I'd knock on the door and ask. It may well be that the cat enjoys being outside during the day and comes inside at night. I hope so anyway.

smokey the elder
12-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Yeah, what everyone said. I have encountered people who have cats that will not tolerate being indoor cats; they go ballistic. If you go you may also get an opportunity to observe the cat more closely to evaluate if it's well-fed, has a good coat, bright eyes, etc.

Good luck!

12-22-2002, 08:56 AM
Dito here !! And if you cannot find anybody home , leave a note with your name and phonenumber in the mailbox !:)

moosmom
12-22-2002, 11:40 AM
I was on my way home from (what else??) Christmas shopping and drove by the house. The cat was laying in the front window. So they must let him out when he feels like going out and they keep him inside at night. Phew!!! I was a little worried there.

NoahsMommy
12-22-2002, 04:16 PM
That's good news! I voted to catnap him! :D But I think option #2 was best.

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2002, 06:13 PM
That's great news. :D I'm so glad that you were able to see him in the window. Now you don't have to worry about him any more.

rosethecopycat
12-22-2002, 08:51 PM
I'm glad that is settled. I think those things weigh heavy on your heart, like they do mine. Thanks for your concern.;)

Vermontcat
12-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Moosmom, are you sure you haven't been driving down my road in Vermont on your way to work? ;)

My cat like many others likes to go sit outside on the front porch in the morning as a daily routine.
She may be there for 10 minutes or a half an hour when the weather is warm.
Now that my cat is older she refuses to go outside once it is winter time.
I never let my cat out after dark because of all the other cats/dogs in my neighborhood.
So it is good to know that the cat you saw is an indoor/outdoor cat and has a happy home.:)

moosmom
12-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Vermontcat,

I think you may be right on that one. I only see him on the porch during the day. I went home for lunch today and saw him sleeping in the window so my mind (or what is left of it :p ) can finally rest.

12-27-2002, 01:42 PM
AMEN !!!!

thanks for being so concerned about that kitten !!