PDA

View Full Version : 2nd kitty???

lexie
12-21-2002, 02:07 PM
my 7 month old male kitten has been outside his whole life. he has been my #1 kitty ever sinse he was 3 weeks old. i brought him in 1 week ago and he is compleatly litter trained and living large. now i have a friend that has a female spayed cat that is 2-3 yrs old and she is going to give it to me. i'm affraid my kitty will get jelouse.i brought home a 6 weeks old male kitten once and he hated it.will he hate this cat? i'm afraid he will get jelous. will he learn to like her or will he hide under my bed and be mean?:confused: :(

jenluckenbach
12-21-2002, 02:54 PM
I think that 99% of cats seem to hate other cats at first. And the adjustment time can vary greatly. But if you give it the appropriate amount of time, and expect to hear some hissing, growling and fighting, they will be fine. Look how many of us have multiple cats. Good luck and have fun!!!

Karen
12-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Introduce them carefully, and they'll have a better chance of getting along. Bring the new cat into one room with a door, and leave her there at first, letting them get used to the smell of each other under the door. Then make sure you still pay attention to him just as much, even maybe more at first! And supervise them carefully at first. Don't worry about spitting and hissing - it's just part of settling who is who in their new hierarchy.

There will be a period of adjustment, but I bet they will get along eventually!

aly
12-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Another good trick is to take two towels and rub each cat with a towel... then put those towels under the other one's food and water bowls. They'll smell the other cat while they eat and drink and get used to the smell.

My cat always hated other cats but I foster a LOT and she will like the kitties if introduced properly now. By properly, I mean seperated for a very long time while swapping scent towels and letting them sniff each other under doors.

As jen said, many cats won't like each other at first. It takes them awhile to adjust.

I am glad you moved your kitten inside!!!

Barbara
12-22-2002, 10:23 AM
You have already got very useful info. Even if they may not be best friends there will be not much hissing and growling. Cats prefer to ignore each other and to divide the available space among them.
Although my boys were 12 and 15 weeks when they met, they ignoreed each other for a week -then a fight was the first step to friendship -after that, they slept in the same basket.