PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing?

Sowa
02-15-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm a supervisor at a pet store. I found out a 300 dollar item went missing so I checked over the cameras and found out a staff member had stolen it. I like this person, got along well with him etc so I hesitated before saying anything. I got the opinions of 5 other people as what they'd do, including a fellow supervisor. I felt it was the right thing to do to tell the manager.

A few minutes later I get a message from the staff who stole it saying we were no longer friends. He has to pay for the item, but I still have to work with him everyday. So now my life is going to be horrible. i don't know if he is going to try to steal from me to get back at me or what. It's very stressful.

What would you do in this situation???

Karen
02-15-2015, 04:53 PM
I am surprised he did not get fired! You absolutely did the right thing. If he makes your life miserable for it, he was never a good friend to begin with! I would ask the manager if you can not share many shifts with him for the time being, if that is possible! He may have stolen it just to see if he could get away with it, and now is disappointed with the outcome. Do not let him take it out on you kiddo - you did the right thing.

RICHARD
02-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Here's what you do,

Don't park your car in the same place, if you drive to work - or park near a camera.

If you have a locker, empty it out and only keep what you really need inside.

DO NOT bring a wallet or valuables in with you, get a small wallet or a traveler's wallet that goes around your neck and keep a few dollars and your car keys inside.

Share any text messages or tweets with the bosses and your family.

Don't engage them with any out-of-work talk and keep it professional.

------

IF they thought they were going to get away with it and maybe to get you to cover for them? The friendship isn't worth saving.

mon
02-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Aww, that's awful, he put you in a terrible position. Of course, you did the right thing, he knows stealing is wrong and it would have been a lot better if he'd been fired. You sure don't need him as a friend, but now you're fearful of him on top of it. You can't give him the power to wreck your life or even your day. He sounds like a DB. It's hard to say what to do, ya think he's violent or disturbed or simply a thief? I wish you all the best, it sounds like you value your job and hopefully someone can give you some better solutions than I. You should be proud that you are an honest person at least!

mon
02-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Okay, then! Richard was far more helpful than I. Some very sound suggestions, all.

mon
02-15-2015, 05:42 PM
I,m pretty sure the manager or someone else would have checked the video footage anyhow, just outta common sense to figure out who lifted the money. Guess he didn't know there was a camera on him or just didn't care. Can,t believe he blames you when he,s the thief. Sigh...

kaycountrygal
02-15-2015, 07:12 PM
I think you did the right thing and I can't believe he wasn't fired. If he annoys you on purpose, report him to management.

Sowa
02-15-2015, 08:58 PM
He kept saying it happened on monday it happened on monday. I suggested the manager look on tuesday and he kept saying no, it was monday. So I figured i'd check tuesday, I thought he was covering for someone but it turns out it was himself :(

Lady's Human
02-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Thieves get no respect, and I doubt anyone in the store will ever trust the individual again.

I'm amazed he wasn't fired. I would take Richard's advice as a CYA measure, you ever know what someone will do in retaliation.

mbsmum
02-16-2015, 12:52 AM
You did right thing, I am also very surprised, he is not fired.

RICHARD
02-16-2015, 05:58 AM
One thing I forgot to mention?

You will have to deal with that person to give them job assignments, etc.?

Try to have a third party present when you do.

You never know when people will 'mis-hear' a conversation?

-----------------------

I once had an idiot supervisor say that I 'ran down the hallway, cursing' outside her office while she was with another employee.

I told her that I wanted to meet with that person and hear their side of the story, because I didn't remember doing it. And, if that person was correct, she was more than welcome to write me up.

She NEVER brought it up again.:rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM
You did the right thing. He should have been fired, period! Next time someone steals, no on will turn them in knowing the person will still be there.

phesina
02-16-2015, 11:38 AM
You did your job! And it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Taz_Zoee
02-16-2015, 11:39 AM
You definitely did the right thing. However, your employer did not. He should have been fired.

cassiesmom
02-16-2015, 05:53 PM

-----------------------

I once had an idiot supervisor say that I 'ran down the hallway, cursing' outside her office while she was with another employee.

I told her that I wanted to meet with that person and hear their side of the story, because I didn't remember doing it. And, if that person was correct, she was more than welcome to write me up.

She NEVER brought it up again.:rolleyes:

I'm with Richard on this one.
Also - You might want to take notes on all of this in case someone from your company returns to you with questions later. If you are alone with this person for any reason, keep yourself between him and the exit. Keep your conversations factual, so that nothing you say is open to misinterpretation in any way. Don't walk to your car alone after work, if you can avoid it. You definitely did the right thing and your company should back you up big-time. This person should have been let go.

Sowa
02-16-2015, 07:35 PM

I work with this person 4 days a week, I'm his supervisor. It's just me and him. I'm so nervous to go into work tomorrow. I don't really want to deal with the awkwardness...I also close the store alone most nights. I think I'm likely going to quit. The manager says pretty mean things to me as well. I almost think I could have a case against him for the things he tells me. I've gone to the bathroom crying at least 4 times because of him. He's also keeping this incident a secret from management, so I suppose if the co worker does something to me I can use that against the manager....(He and the manager are friends)

Karen
02-16-2015, 08:30 PM
I work with this person 4 days a week, I'm his supervisor. It's just me and him. I'm so nervous to go into work tomorrow. I don't really want to deal with the awkwardness...I also close the store alone most nights. I think I'm likely going to quit. The manager says pretty mean things to me as well. I almost think I could have a case against him for the things he tells me. I've gone to the bathroom crying at least 4 times because of him. He's also keeping this incident a secret from management, so I suppose if the co worker does something to me I can use that against the manager....(He and the manager are friends)

You should contact the owners of the store, whoever your manager has to report to. The manager and his friend are the problem, not you. It will take courage to get through this, but you have all of Pet Talk behind you! ;)

RICHARD
02-17-2015, 11:15 AM
You should contact the owners of the store, whoever your manager has to report to. The manager and his friend are the problem, not you. It will take courage to get through this, but you have all of Pet Talk behind you! ;)

Yes, Drop a dime to the area supervisor/boss.

At the worst?

You may have to go look for a job somewhere else, But keeping your sanity is far more important than putting up with the BS - it's not worth it.

------

When the idiot 'boss' says something hurtful to you, ask them to repeat it.

IF they ask why, say "I just want to make sure that I understand you." Do not do it in a smarmy way, ask them straight out....When that happens, they will back down....Don't do it EVERY time, just the times where you feel like they are being AHs.

Best wishes and keep your wits about you......Sometimes YOU are the only sane one in the planet!!;)

Sowa
02-20-2015, 10:44 AM
I've decided to I'm probably going to go on stress leave. It's just to much for me to deal with. I was going to quit in the summer anyway because I'm going back to school but I'll have to see what my doctor says next week.

Catty1
02-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Please do report this to the owners, even if you leave. This will happen to other staff as well. Write down what was actually said to you, and the date if you can.

Take care of yourself and don't let this criminal team get away with their crap!

HUGS! :love:

Freedom
02-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Count me in with the: You did the right thing! I can't believe he wasn't fired! A $300 item, that is a big deal!

Sorry you are having to deal with all this.

Felicia's Mom
02-20-2015, 08:03 PM
You did the right thing. I'm surprised he wasn't fired.

Vette
02-21-2015, 04:32 PM
You did the right thing. I'm surprised he wasn't fired.

^ this.

id deff go to a CEO. i think the manager being friends with the thief has clouded his judgement an proper actions are not being taken.
in the mean time i suggest leaving what you cant shove in your pants pockets at home or get a little locket to lock your purse up if you have one incase dipstick gets any ideas.

mon
02-21-2015, 09:24 PM
One of my first jobs was working selling perogies at the P.N.E.when I was 16.The bosses two sons worked with me and smoked hash all day.Suddenly, out of the blue, what do you know? Forty dollars is missing. They both noticed I had given the wrong change out to the tune of 40$ They smirked and said they were going to tell daddy. I knew I didn't have hope in hell so I just told them where to put it and quit on the spot. He was crazy about his creepy little sons. If they both saw me give the wrong change, I'm pretty sure they would have said so at the time. Blatant lie, they stole to buy more hash. I didn't even go back for my check and I worked my ass off for two weeks, 12 hrs. A day. Point is, live and learn. Some folks are rotten. Sometimes quitting is a beautiful thing too. Movin on can be sweet. They should count their blessings I was so young and sweet at the time. They might both be a nut short today😁😂