PDA

View Full Version : My little orange boy is missing! Come home!!!

hellostranger
12-21-2002, 06:34 AM
I'm so upset!!!! Last night while we were moving things out of our storage shed on the balcony our newest furfriend, Gus, either fell or jumped off the balcony. We're on the second floor so it wasn't very far but we CAN'T FIND HIM!! :(

The woods start behind our building and he could be anywhere! I set out the cat trap with tuna and we went through the woods for about an hour. I was up every hour or so to check the trap and call for him but he never showed up. We just got back from our first daylight search - no Gus.

I feel awful. I've been crying and worrying that he hurt himself. It's hard to believe we only had him 2 1/2 weeks - we love him so much! Please think good thoughts for Gus...we want our little orange boy back!!

sasvermont
12-21-2002, 06:57 AM
He could be hiding somewhere. I would leave some food out, a blanket he can hide under if he returns and maybe a cat bed, so that he knows where he is when he returns. If he is new to the outside he may be enjoying the adventure. He also may be scared. I wouldn't give up for a long time. Keep us posted. Sorry to hear your upset - we have all been there.... well, most of us, anyway.

P. S. I would also go door to door. Someone may have taken him inside to comfort him.

Good luck!

wayne0214
12-21-2002, 07:24 AM
hellostranger, somehow I am thinking that he could be hold up in a box of stuff that you are either loading or unloading. Cats have a habit of exploring "caves" and boxes. Did you check the storage place again? But if he is outside, they will often stay ouside until they get tired, hungry and especially cold. Then they will come back. But it would't be a bad idea to go out into the woods and keep seeking him.

.......wayne

rosethecopycat
12-21-2002, 08:31 AM
Put his scent outside, like something with his fur on it. After only 2 1/2 weeks he may not know where he lives yet. He may smell his way home. Keep searching and don't give up.

toughCookie
12-21-2002, 05:36 PM
all good ideas.

I know how you feel, I was attached to Cookie after just 3 days!
(when she got sick after the 3 days here you would have thought I'd had her for years)

I feel so bad for you, I know how you must be so worried! and poor little lost kitty! have you called the humane society and other shelters in your area? put up posters, ask neighbors?
and yes, keep looking and calling. the poor thing, I wish I could come help you look for little Gus. your are(and Gus too) in my thoughts and prayers, for kitty to get home safely!

Uabassoon
12-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Good luck, I hope your cat comes home soon. It sounds like everyone has given you some good ideas on how to find him. We'll have fingers and paws and tails crossed over here.

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2002, 01:09 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Gus is missing. :( I sure hope you find him soon or that he finds his way home again. All fingers and paws are crossed here too. Good luck.

hellostranger
12-22-2002, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all your support everybody. I have said it before, but you guys are great. :)

No Gus yet. I've put up flyers and talked to the neighbors. We also go through the woods several times a day. Keep your paws crossed for our little guy! It seems so unfair that I rescued him from a sewer only to have him disappear two weeks later... :(

smokey the elder
12-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Poor Gus! Please come home, your meowmie is worried.

12-22-2002, 08:53 AM
Oh please Gus , I hope you are alright ...;!!

Somebody said something about his "sent" . Put some of the stuff in his litter-box , or the whole box , outside !

toughCookie
12-23-2002, 02:42 AM
yes, and check the storage closet again, he just MIGHT be in there. oh Gus find your way home little guy!! think..where did he fall, where could he have gone, they don't usually go too far. could he be hurt? did you notify the shelters in case he is found and taken there? you have woods by your house? maybe leave food around, and everyday move it just a little closer to your house. same with his box, and a fav toy or blanket, things he used in your home. I don't know what the area you live in is like, but are you able to leave things like that in the woods? I just thought if he is wondering around, maybe that wouldlead him home. and maybe something with your scent too, he will know your scent.

hellostranger
12-23-2002, 08:18 AM
My little Gus is finally home! Thanks to everyone again for helping me worry...it's so much easier to worry with people who understand. :)

Last night I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about him so I finally got up around midnight and got on the computer. Just then I heard a cat fight out near the parking lot and looked out the window to see a big black cat near the dumpster. I thought it probably had nothing to do with Gus but I had to go see anyway...and there he was - in the sewer . Why, oh why, didn't I check all the sewers in the first place? Here I was thinking he would go into the woods when I had just rescued him from a sewer two weeks ago and that's what he knows best.

Needless to say he couldn't make it easy on me and just let me pick him up, so I baited my cat trap and went out to check on it every 45 minutes until 5:00am. (The things I do for cats!!!!:rolleyes: ) But Gus wasn't having anything to do with that nasty trap that got him last time. I was really starting to get sad (combination stress and no sleep) so I just sat outside the sewer in my pjs and coat and talked to him. I told him I loved him and his Daddy and I missed him and his big brother Squirt had no one to put in a headlock.....and eventually his little orange face poked out of the sewer. I kept talking and held out my hand and finally he began to knead his paws and came over to me. I grabbed him by his scruff, stuck him in my coat and ran inside.

I'm so glad he's back!!!! I love him so much even though we haven't been together very long. He's going to have to have little patches cut out of his fur where he has black grease that the cat shampoo wouldn't clean up, but he's already sleeping in the sun and purring.

:) :) :) :) :) :) I'm so happy!!!! Thanks again everybody!!!!

Barbara
12-23-2002, 08:38 AM
This is wonderful Christmas news -so glad Gus is back:) :) . I was thinking of him often.
Now Gus stay at home -these people love you:)

I hope so much that Yumyum will come back too:(

12-23-2002, 08:54 AM
OH GUS , GUS , GUS !!! Sooo happy you made it home before Christmas !!! Now your humans will have a real happy Christmas !!

Oh , Barbara , I agree with you : YUM-YUM , PLEASE COME HOME TOO !!!!!

http://www.cindydrew.com/cats/free/cathatana.gif

catland
12-23-2002, 10:22 AM
I'm so happy your little Gus is back.

Now Gus, be a good boy and don't scare your humans again!

What a great Christmas present!

AmberLee
12-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Oh thank God!!! Such a relief to hear your precious fur-kid is found! :)

RICHARD
12-23-2002, 05:54 PM
each lost kitty story is like a soap opera- i like the happy endings..

a great xmas present......

finding him in the sewer made me think of an old rhyme i had heard years ago.....(no disrespect meant to gus or his situation..)

down by the sewer he lived
down by the sewer he died,
some said it was murder, no, it was "sewercide"

welcome home, gus

p.s. try dawn dishwashing soap for the crud on his coat!
out here on the left coast we use it to treat birds
caught in oil slicks!

toughCookie
12-23-2002, 06:09 PM
oh, thank God Gus is back home! I was really upset over your kitty being lost! so glad he's ok, now you can have a good Christmas:D

about Yum Yum...I guess I missed that post, I don't know .
but poor thing, here's hoping you get your kitty back too!!

tatsxxx11
12-23-2002, 06:13 PM
What a wonderful Christmas this will be, now that GUS IS HOME!!!!!! I'm SO happy for you!!! Oh, what an ordeal!! Poor baby must have been so frightened. But now he's home, safe and sound!! I was so sad when I read he went missing! Now, it's time to celebrate! Give the Gus man a hug and have a wonderful holiday!!!!!!!!!:)

krazyaboutkatz
12-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Yeah!!! Gus is home. :D I'm so glad that you finally found him. Now you can both have a wonderful Christmas together. :)

TheAntiPam
12-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Gus, it did my heart such good today to hear that you made it back to your family! They love you so much - please stay put! Besides, how will Santa find you if you wander away again???

Best wishes to you and your family, Gus - I'm so glad you are home!

moosmom
12-24-2002, 12:29 PM
I am SO glad Gus is home safe! It made me cry (happy tears). Have a wonderful Christmas!!

Cataholic
12-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Yay!!!! Gus came home!!!! Now, don't ever scare us all again..you NAWTEEKAT! You are lucky it is Christmas time, and you got here in time to enjoy the pressies....you lucky boy!!

Now, come home Yumyum:(

aly
12-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Gus - you stay AWAY from those sewers now!!! I'm so glad you were home in time for Christmas... no more sneaking out !!

Uabassoon
12-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Gus you gave your mommy such a scare! Silly boy not wanting to come out of the sewer. Your new mommy loves you so much, and I'm sure she would appreciate it if you would stay out of the sewers. I'm glad to head that you made it home and you're safe and sound.

jenluckenbach
12-27-2002, 05:02 AM
I missed this update, but I could not be happier for you!!! The world's best Christmas present!!!

kimlovescats
12-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Welcome back home, GUS!!! :D

NoahsMommy
12-27-2002, 03:36 PM
Such WONDERFUL news! I'm so, so, so glad Gus is home, safe and sound with you. Yay!!!