PDA

View Full Version : I Get to Help!

Karen
01-18-2015, 06:42 PM
I am kind of excited, tomorrow I will get to go have a first meeting with my friend's Saint Bernard, Emma. Emma is a rescue, and is shy and afraid of strangers, so Annie (her human) thinks it would be good for her to get to know a friendly stranger! I will have to restrain myself from running over to hug her, but I have not petted a Saint Bernard since Bruni passed away! If I can get a picture or two I will, I promise!

chocolatepuppy
01-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Sounds like fun! Hoping you get a few pics!;)

phesina
01-18-2015, 07:12 PM
AWWWWwwwwww... That's wonderful!

Looking forward to the report.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::l ove:

mon
01-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Wish I was coming along, love to see a pic, have fun!

kuhio98
01-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Awww, you lucky duck! Gentle hugs to Emma. I hope with time and patience she comes out of her shell and realizes that strangers aren't scary.

cassiesmom
01-19-2015, 05:31 AM
I love Saint Bernards! Please give her some extra petting for me! I would love it if you could give her a big hug for me, but not if it won't help her get over her shyness and fear. Annie is getting a very special visitor! (and by extension many visitors :) )

Karen
01-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Here is the beautiful Emma doing "sit" - right away for me! She was very well behaved, and understood I knew what to say, and before we were officially introduced, I let her give me a good sniff, so she knew there were indeed treats in my pocket.

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=59152&d=1421706546

She is about 6 years old, and has been with her mom Annie for 4 years.

Karen
01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Here are Emma and her mom Annie:

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=59153&d=1421706558

And Emma trying to earn a cookie from me!

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=59154&d=1421706572

Karen
01-19-2015, 04:37 PM
It all went very well, I got to do some good skritches, and even got a nice "lean" which delighted me and surprised Annie. No hugs yet, as she is extremely face shy, but next time I may get to deliver a belly rub!

For a Saint, she is very well trained, can not only do sit, stay and down, but can tap with either paw, do army crawl, and even, with the enticement of a treat, spin!

cassiesmom
01-19-2015, 04:52 PM
It all went very well, I got to do some good skritches, and even got a nice "lean" which delighted me and surprised Annie. No hugs yet, as she is extremely face shy, but next time I may get to deliver a belly rub!

For a Saint, she is very well trained, can not only do sit, stay and down, but can tap with either paw, do army crawl, and even, with the enticement of a treat, spin!

Yay, Emma! The picture of Emma waiting for a cookie from Karen gives me a huge smile - it's like she's thinking, "I know you have a cookie there and I am so beautiful that you'll just have to give it to me." What does "face shy" mean, though?

Karen
01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Yay, Emma! The picture of Emma waiting for a cookie from Karen gives me a huge smile - it's like she's thinking, "I know you have a cookie there and I am so beautiful that you'll just have to give it to me." What does "face shy" mean, though?

Face shy means she's very sensitive about anyone getting near her face, or staring into her face. Butt skritches were fine, but no ear rubs yet!

chocolatepuppy
01-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Oh my gosh what a beauty Emma is! I bet it was fun to visit with her.:D

Karen
01-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Oh my gosh what a beauty Emma is! I bet it was fun to visit with her.:D

It was. And I was very well behaved, I did not squeal with delight, or hug her like I wanted to! :)

chocolatepuppy
01-20-2015, 07:14 PM
It was. And I was very well behaved, I did not squeal with delight, or hug her like I wanted to! :)

That had to be hard to resist! ;)

phesina
01-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Oh, she's gorgeous! And what a great job you and she both did, Karen!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Roxyluvsme13
01-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Oh Emma is beautiful. I love Saints.

Karen
03-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Tomorrow I will get to visit with Emma for the second time! I am looking forward to it, of course! We'll see if she remembers me!

cassiesmom
03-17-2015, 11:41 PM
Oh, I hope you and Emma have a great visit! Please give her a gentle skritch for me, if that's okay for her.

Karen
03-18-2015, 04:34 PM
I did give her a scratch from you, and Annie - Emma's mom, had read all the comments in this thread last time, and thinks you are all nice people!

Emma was very good today, she remembered me, and did not do any barking or even a single growl! I not only got to do plenty or scratches, she even gave me her paw, and her other paw, and was very good! Sorry no pictures today, my battery was too low, I didn't check before I left! And, compliment of all compliments, she even leaned on me twice! ;)

mon
03-18-2015, 05:02 PM
How fun!

Asiel
03-18-2015, 08:02 PM
She sure does look well behaved--- only one St. around here and it's so hyper I stay away or it knocks me over just with one paw. Has such a kind face...

Karen
03-18-2015, 08:04 PM
She sure does look well behaved--- only one St. around here and it's so hyper I stay away or it knocks me over just with one paw. Has such a kind face...

She is a rescue, and was likely abused before, so is very leery of strangers, and anyone who is not "mom" - so Annie, her mom, was quite pleased she did so well for/with me today!

cassiesmom
03-18-2015, 10:47 PM
I did give her a scratch from you, and Annie - Emma's mom, had read all the comments in this thread last time, and thinks you are all nice people!

Emma was very good today, she remembered me, and did not do any barking or even a single growl! I not only got to do plenty or scratches, she even gave me her paw, and her other paw, and was very good! Sorry no pictures today, my battery was too low, I didn't check before I left! And, compliment of all compliments, she even leaned on me twice! ;)

Three cheers for Emma! I am so glad she had a good visit with you, Karen! She knows you are her friend so she leaned on you! :D :D :D

cassiesmom
04-17-2015, 11:57 PM
Mayor Karen, do you know yet when you'll see Emma again? There is a couple who walks their dog on my street, and I believe the dog is either a Saint Bernard or a Bernese Mountain Dog. They walk around supper time and every time I see them, I just want to run outside and hug their beautiful big doggie! (The dog is black and brown, but the tip of his (or her?) tail looks like it's been dipped in vanilla ice cream :) ) When you see her again, could you please give her a gentle pet for me, if she is okay with receiving some petting. If not, that's okay too.

Karen
04-18-2015, 03:10 AM
Mayor Karen, do you know yet when you'll see Emma again? There is a couple who walks their dog on my street, and I believe the dog is either a Saint Bernard or a Bernese Mountain Dog. They walk around supper time and every time I see them, I just want to run outside and hug their beautiful big doggie! (The dog is black and brown, but the tip of his (or her?) tail looks like it's been dipped in vanilla ice cream :) ) When you see her again, could you please give her a gentle pet for me, if she is okay with receiving some petting. If not, that's okay too.

Yes, their dog must be a Bernese Mountain dog as you describe his markings! And I bet if you ask, he would looooove a hug! I saw Emma a week ago, and delivered plenty of pettings from her fans on Pet Talk. I didn't remember to get any pictures, we had a nice walk, and she had not eaten the food from the night before - I was sharing dog-sitting duties as her mom was away, and apparently the other sitter just didn't make her feel comfortable enough to eat/ So I added a few extra grains of dog food, and stored it up, and she cleaned the dish, good girl, Emma!

She was fine with petting from me this time, and next time, maybe I will get to give her a tummy rub!