PDA

View Full Version : Thursday #619 - Hot Stuff!

RICHARD
01-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Having a little connectivity problem.

The lights went out in part of the house and we are limping by on shifting power cords about.

CHanged the circuit breaker I thought was bad and no go.....

Gonna have to call an electricity man.

I'll stay in touch.

Orc, take over please?

Karen
01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
If the Orc will tend to keeping the fire going, I can dish out drinks at least!

Currently drinking experimental chai, but the kettle is hot! Tea or hot cocoa anyone?

And for this seeking a strong libation, Irish Coffee or Cocoa with peppermint Schnapps added is on offer ...

Karen
01-08-2015, 06:45 PM
If the Orc will tend to keeping the fire going, I can dish out drinks at least!

Currently drinking experimental chai, but the kettle is hot! Tea or hot cocoa anyone?

And for this seeking a strong libation, Irish Coffee or Cocoa with peppermint Schnapps added is on offer ...

Excellent news - the chai works! Recipe is here :Chai tea mix (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?187542-Here-s-a-question-for-you&p=2513836#post2513836)

So, chai or cocoa or coffee anyone?

smokey the elder
01-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Cocoa with Bailey's, please. We had wicked snow for about 2 hours this morning...right during my commute which went from the usual 50 min. to 96 (yes I timed it like the OCD-ish nerd I am.:D)

Karen
01-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Cocoa with Bailey's, please. We had wicked snow for about 2 hours this morning...right during my commute which went from the usual 50 min. to 96 (yes I timed it like the OCD-ish nerd I am.:D)

I hope your homeward commute is easier - here's another extra-large cocoa with Bailey's!

Karen
01-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Just brewed up some more chai, any takers? I have cocoa, and will get some coffee ready as well, either of which can be spiked with the libation of your choice!

It just seems the time of the year for warm drinks!

Queen of Poop
01-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I'd take a cup of tea, please. ran 14 km at -18oC this morning. Trying to warm up now.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Could I have some cocoa with lots of mallows please? Fighting a cold that just will not go away plus we are having freezing drizzle outside!! I am SO ready for spring!!!:)

RICHARD
01-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Let's get some MORE water going and some sandwiches.

The last 6 weeks have been a little wake up call for all the small things that go wrong/happen.

Time to get into the spirit of a new year...........

Done!

Karen
01-14-2015, 12:37 AM
Excellent, I'll use some of that water for some cocoa, Richard! I made a batch of mix for a gift, and added cinnamon, and a little ginger and have some good stale marshmallows to pop in it! Anyone want some? (I had leftovers!)

Karen
01-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Kettle's on, any takers? Chai, cocoa, anything warm ... Irish Coffee, or even a Hot Toddy - whatever that is! We've got freezing drizzle outside, so warm drinks are definitely in order!

Lady's Human
01-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Richard, I hear you on the electrical problems.

I work on electrical systems, so thankfully I know enough to not have to call an electrician most of the time.

Evidently we have similar gremlins popping about... (to anyone reading this, DO NOT try this at home unless you know what you're doing!)

I was sitting in the livingroom tonight trying to do my homework, and lost power in the back half of the house. So, got the boy, a flashlight and my tools to go see what was happening in the breaker panel. I heard an ever so faint infrequent popping (frying bacon) coming from the panel. I threw the main breaker, and pulled the panel face to find one of the neutral wires was loose in it's terminal socket, causing arcing between the wire and the panel frame. No bueno, that's the kind of issue which causes electrical fires.

Clipped it back to good wire, reconnected it, and all is well.

I am, however, going to miss my deadline on homework.

Karen
01-15-2015, 01:45 AM
I heard an ever so faint infrequent popping (frying bacon) coming from the panel. I threw the main breaker, and pulled the panel face to find one of the neutral wires was loose in it's terminal socket, causing arcing between the wire and the panel frame. No bueno, that's the kind of issue which causes electrical fires.

So glad you heard what was happening and were able to fix things safely! With electrician in training help? Did Angel want to help too, or are there doggie-eating monsters in the basement?

Lady's Human
01-15-2015, 01:50 AM
So glad you heard what was happening and were able to fix things safely! With electrician in training help? Did Angel want to help too, or are there doggie-eating monsters in the basement?

The electrician in training helped, he ran for tools as needed, held the flashlight, and watched. The panel in question wasn't in the basement, it's in the laundry room, so we didn't have to deal with the gremlins down there. If there were issues in that panel, however, I'm going to venture down at some point ove rthe next couple of weeks and check the main panel.

Angel was too busy being warmed by LOH, getting scritched, and soaking up attention.

We won't mention last night when she decided to help Patch try and catch a mouse.

RICHARD
01-16-2015, 01:00 PM
The electrician in training helped, he ran for tools as needed, held the flashlight, and watched. The panel in question wasn't in the basement, it's in the laundry room, so we didn't have to deal with the gremlins down there. If there were issues in that panel, however, I'm going to venture down at some point ove rthe next couple of weeks and check the main panel.

Angel was too busy being warmed by LOH, getting scritched, and soaking up attention.

We won't mention last night when she decided to help Patch try and catch a mouse.

LOL, what does your intern charge an hour?

I went down to the breaker box and began to throw switches.

I managed to change one breaker switch, a Bulldog Push-o-matic -which, when the guy at Home Depot looked at, was able to properly ID, then laugh, and tell me that he "hadn't seen one like THAT in a long time". Call an electric warehouse for a replacement.........

Got the replacement, put it in and still nothing....

Thank you THIS OLD HOUSE for the info on how to change a breaker and to the basic tenet of common sense and electric work...

NEVER HOLD ON TO BOTH WIRES AT THE SAME TIME....