PDA

View Full Version : I adopted 2 furkids this morning.

wayne0214
12-20-2002, 01:36 PM
After arriving at the shelter at about 11:00 AM, I took the little Russian Blue cat. I have named her "Puma". She looks like another lovable kittty. However, she sneezes a lot. The keeper, Laurie, said that until she stops her sneezing that I should not get her spayed. Since I do not have any un-neutered males in the house, there is no problem with her being un-spayed. As soon as I walked into the room where she was, she began meowing for me to pick her up and reaching out of her cage to me with her front paws, as though she was waiting for me to return for her. This morning I knew that she would be with me in her "forever home".

Also, I adopted the little cat that wants to nurse all the time. I have named him "Happy cat", because he has done nothing but PURR since I placed him in the truck. He is another Flame Point Siamese, snow-white with a pale-brown tail, muzzle and ears with blue eyes. When I went to his cage, I do not believe that he knew I wanted him. After opening the cage and pulling him out, he really came to life. I suppose that my adopting him came as a total surprise to him. My other furkids have not fought with them. When I brought them both home I left them in their carriers, to see how the others would accept them. Needless to say, they were out and exploring the house about 10 minutes after bringing them in! Fawn will hiss once in a while, but that is to be expected of him. Happy is a perfect lap kitty, because he willingly lays in my lap (and begins to nurse). There are wet spots on my blue shirt now.

These two have certainly been a healing influence after loosing my 4 furkids Wed. and Thur.

There is one more that I plan to get, that being an orange tabby, on Sunday.

It never ceases to amaze me about the variations in cat personalities, Happy is like no other cat I have had in the past and have now. Puma is a little unsure of herself and insecure, and therefore, is not as open as she will be in the near future. I figure it will take about 10 days for her to become more accustomed to this place and her new family, so I can observe her personality traits developing. It is difficult for me to understand why some folks willingly give up furkids who are so affectionate. I do not know how long the shelter has had Happy cat, but I'm sure that those folks who came in before me, overlooked a very affectionate furkid. Both of them follow me around the house, just like Nikolai used to do.

..........wayne

All Creatures Great And Small
12-20-2002, 01:39 PM
Lucky, lucky kitties, and lucky, lucky you! Congratulations on your new babies!

emily_the_spoiled
12-20-2002, 01:39 PM
Wayne, I am so happy for you that you decided to adopt some new members into your family. They are an early Christmas present to yourself;) I hope they help heal everyone (both human and furry).

Cheryl

12-20-2002, 01:53 PM
http://www.cindydrew.com/cats/free/gr55.gif

Congratulations on your new fur-kids , Wayne !! i am so happy you did the same thing i did after the loss of a cat : make others happy !!

2kitties
12-20-2002, 02:06 PM
Congratulations!! What a wonderful holiday present.:D And a Russion Blue- I love those.

ramanth
12-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Congratulations on your two new additions.

I'm sure they will help heal yours and your furbabies hearts.

yumyum6970
12-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Congrats Wayne..You must post some pictures of them soon. They both sound adorable. :)

Uabassoon
12-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Congrats on getting some new additions to your family. Thank you so much for opening up your home and your heart by bringing in these kitties that need you. These cats are very lucky to be adopted by you where they will have so much love.

rosethecopycat
12-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Wayne,

I hope your new babies can fill part of the void in your home, and the sadness can be replaced with joy. You saved two lives.
Congratulations.

zippy-kat
12-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Congrats Wayne! I hope those kitty-babies help comfort you in your time of loss.

NoahsMommy
12-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Wonderful news! They both sound like treasures! I am glad they are getting along and are happy.

Pictures?? :D

neko1
12-20-2002, 05:21 PM
OH congratulations!! That's so wonderful that these 2 precious kitties now have a loving home!! I hope you have a wonderful holiday with them!!:D

catlady1945
12-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Congratulations! They say not to adopt a new animal after losing one, but I disagree. The new animal doesn't take the place of the other one, but gives you something else to focus on and makes you remember the good times with the cat who has passed on.

boscibo
12-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Congrats on the new additions!

I waited two months after I lost Boo (in 1996) before I got Abby, but I was so much happier after I got her. It really helps in the healing process to have another furball to love.

tatsxxx11
12-20-2002, 06:55 PM
What a wonderful Christmas gift you have given these beautiful kitties! And what a wonderful gift they have returned to you! All that love!!!:) I'm so sorry to learn of your great loss Wayne.:( Not many would be able to open their hearts again so soon after such saddness. Thank you for your selfless act of compassion and rescue. And I know these precious souls will help your heart heal as well.:) Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful fur family, Wayne! {{{hugs}}} Sanrdra, Mr. B and Oliver

jenluckenbach
12-20-2002, 07:25 PM
Such Happy news (pun intended!)

It is very exciting to have new babies to make the holidays even more special. How old are they?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Rachel
12-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Congratulations on having such an accepting family who welcome the two new new kids into their loving home. I am so sorry for the loss of your others. Hopefully this is the end of such sadness for a long time.

aly
12-20-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Congrats on the new "kids" :) I was thinking you should probably keep them separated from your crew for a long time until you are positive none of your other cats were exposed to Feline Leukemia. I don't mean to sound insensitive or anything but I'd hate to see the new kitties become exposed. I am very sorry for your loss.

shais_mom
12-21-2002, 12:38 AM
Congratulations! I do wish them happy and healthy life!!!
Please be careful with the infectious disease tho, My cousin had a cat that died of FLV and she waited almost 2 mos before getting Lissi and Cali.

wayne0214
12-21-2002, 05:49 AM
Thanks all, for your support and concern. The ones that were adopted have been vaccinated for distemper and FeLV and I have cleaned up the house since the others have gone. Vet said that the virus that causes FeLV does not live long away from a host. However, the distemper is more persistant. I did not mention their ages. Happy is about 1-1/2 years old and the Russian Blue is supposedly about 7 mos. old. (I am thinking of naming her "Puma" because she looks so much like a mountain lion, especially this morning when she discovered the cat tree!) But because of the slow maturation of the Russian Blues, she could be older. She has emerald green eyes, with a few faint tabby marks on her tail.

Tiara is a little unsure of Happy. This morning when I sat in my chair with a cup of coffee, she came and laid in my lap, but got up and moved immediately (after happy cat climbed on board also), when Happy saw Tiara getting scritchies, and he wasn't. I suppose it is a matter of time before they both will lay in my lap.

Happy slept with me on the bed last night, although Puma is still a little afraid of the hisses she encounters. But I did manage to get her to lay next to me on the covers after midnight. I heard her sneezing, and wanted her to sleep on the electric blanket. As soon as she did, her sneezing stopped.

........wayne

Cincy'sMom
12-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Congratulations Wayne!!! SOunds like a few new furkids around is just what is needed to heal the loss of those at RB. Can't wait to see pics!!!

Tina
12-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Congrats on your new additions:) Can't wait to see pictures of them:)

Cookiebaker
12-21-2002, 12:06 PM
I just read the other thread about your 4 babies...and I just wanted to say that I am so sorry. I hope that you find lots of comfort in your 2 new furbabies and that they will be a blessing for you. Meanwhile, I will keep you in my thoughts.

Lando
12-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Thats great news. I hope they are all geetting along. How many cats do you have in all?

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2002, 12:51 AM
Wayne, congrats on your 2 new additions. I'm so glad that they are able to comfort you during this sad time. I'd also love to see pics of them. :)

smokey the elder
12-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Congratulations for adopting two needy furbabies for the Christmas/Solstice season. Hopefully the new cats will help you heal from the loss of your other ones.

Hugz,

Alice

wayne0214
12-23-2002, 05:10 AM
Lando, now that I have adopted "Christmas cat" yesterday, there are total of 10 furkids to care for. I suppose that having only 7 left after losing the other 4, just wasn't enough. So in total I adopted 3 more.

.........wayne

Vio&Juni
12-23-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by lut

Congratulations on your new fur-kids , Wayne !! i am so happy you did the same thing i did after the loss of a cat : make others happy !!
I couldn't agree more!

Lando
12-23-2002, 10:55 AM
THats great Wayne!!!!!!!!