PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve/Day

Karen
12-28-2014, 09:44 PM
What are your plans and traditions around this holiday? I know some places have fireworks, Boston does a big First Night Celebration, though we have not been. I feel bad for the ice sculptors this year, as it has been unseasonably warm! We first met at a New Year's Eve party, but do not go out that night anymore!

cassiesmom
12-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Evanston, Illinois has a First Night celebration. The early evening is structured for families with young kids, and they do a "mini countdown" I think at 6 or 7 PM. In the evening there's live music. I'm not a fan of New Year's Eve - when I was a staff nurse I usually had to work, which was okay with me. On New Year's Day we're invited to my cousins' house (parents, siblings and me) for part of the afternoon. We did this last year and it worked out great- sandwiches, cookies, brownies and family time.

Taz_Zoee
12-29-2014, 10:50 AM
No tradition for New Years here. In fact, I'd rather stay home and off the streets anyway. I just have to convince him of that. Plus, Zeplyn doesn't like fireworks, and there will definitely be some of that after midnight. I haven't discussed it with Bruce yet. But I hope to just stay home and ring in the new year with my fur family.

Randi
12-29-2014, 01:38 PM
On New Years Eve, most people have a good meal and dessert with famiily and/or friends and party the night away. Some goes to a Bar or restaurant. At 24:00, after having Champaigne and Kransekage, many go down and shoot off fireworks - and it's loud! There's always some that have bombs that aren't legal. :mad: Some drag Christmas trees out and set them on fire over in the park.

Many also watch the short movie called "Dinner for one" or 90-years Birthday, which is on TV every year. Here's a link, there are many more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOHurRzt8Xk

This year, I'll spend the evening with Missy, who I have here until Jan. 5th. I hope she won't be too scared of the noise outside. I plan to go to bed with earplugs in, I finally learned how to fit them so they stay.

I feel bad for the old and sick people and for all animals on New years Eve.

I wish you all a safe and Happy New Year! :love:

chocolatepuppy
12-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I'll be spending New Years Eve with my furkids, safe and sound off the streets!:D

pomtzu
12-31-2014, 07:42 AM
Just me, Wolfy, and the kitties "celebrating" New Year's Eve together. I'm fixing all of us roasted chicken and sweet potatoes - tho kitties probably won't want any of the potatoes. That's okay - more for me and Wolfman.

My son, his GF, my grandson and his GF are going to a concert in DC......of all quiet and safe places to be going on this raucous night.. :rolleyes: I'm really more concerned with the drive home tho - traveling a couple of hours or more, along with all the drunks.

And as for the big party-hardy person that I am - I'm certain I'll be asleep long before the ball drops....:p

Be safe out there, everyone - no matter how you choose to spend the evening.

Felicia's Mom
12-31-2014, 01:18 PM
I am going to a New Years Eve party this afternoon at 2 p m. I will probably be asleep long before midnight.

Karen
12-31-2014, 02:26 PM
I worry about the animals who hate fireworks, but otherwise will enjoy a nice New Year's Eve here at home!

Taz_Zoee
12-31-2014, 04:45 PM
No tradition for New Years here. In fact, I'd rather stay home and off the streets anyway. I just have to convince him of that. Plus, Zeplyn doesn't like fireworks, and there will definitely be some of that after midnight. I haven't discussed it with Bruce yet. But I hope to just stay home and ring in the new year with my fur family.

YES! I got my way! We are staying home, having a dinner of pulled pork (my request) and snuggling with the "kids". I'll be lucky if I can stay awake until midnight since I was up at 5am this morning for work.

Happy New Years everyone!!

Karen
12-31-2014, 04:50 PM
YES! I got my way! We are staying home, having a dinner of pulled pork (my request) and snuggling with the "kids". I'll be lucky if I can stay awake until midnight since I was up at 5am this morning for work.

Happy New Years everyone!!

Sounds like an excellent plan! Happy New Year to you and the crew!

phesina
12-31-2014, 06:31 PM
I am spending a quiet evening at home with my cats. No doubt I'll be sound asleep long before midnight.

To all the wonderful cats, dogs, pets, and people who make up this wonderful community called Pet Talk:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE! And may 2015 be filled with blessings for you all.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Queen of Poop
12-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Cali, Diego and I will be staying at home, probably in bed before midnight. We wish everyone in our PT family a very Happy New Year and all the best in 2015.

kuhio98
12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
I'll be hanging out at the top of the world in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska working away. Probably turn the TV on to watch the ball drop in Times Square (4 hour time difference) then turn off the TV and crash until my alarm goes on at 4:30 in the morning.

Probably wouldn't be much different if I was home. I can't remember the last time I stayed up until midnight to ring in the New Year. I know, I'm a party pooper. :p

Karen
12-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Aww, say hello to the polar bears for me! Do you ever see any up there, or is it too industrial where you are?

kuhio98
12-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Aww, say hello to the polar bears for me! Do you ever see any up there, or is it too industrial where you are?
I've seen 1 polar bear up here from far away. That's as close as I want to get. They usually hang around on the pack ice and I work further inland.