PDA

View Full Version : Winter Solstice

ramanth
12-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Blessed Be & Yuletide greetings to you all.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Yule.

A little about Yule:

Yule is the Winter Solstice. The Winter Solstice is when the sun enters Capricorn and this year it does so on December 21st. It is the longest night and shortest day of the year. It is the beginning of the waxing part of the year. Even though it is in the heart of winter, the days still begin to grow longer. It gives us the hope and thoughts of spring with the knowledge of the sun's rebirth.

This is a time that many traditions recognize the battle between the Holly King and the Oak King. The Holly King reaches his time to go to the underworld and allow the Oak King to be reborn and grow to become ready to fertilize the land in spring. In days of old, families would gather for feasts and celebrations to call back the sun. Families spent much of the cold months together to share food and the warmth of the fire. Yule logs were burned as a symbol of calling back the sun. Wreaths were made to hang on the door as a symbol of the wheel of the year and the cycles of life.

Chinadoll
12-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Blessed Be to you and your family to.

Miss Meow
12-20-2002, 06:25 PM
Thanks Ramanth :)

Today is our summer solstice, so it's the longest day of the year. It is supposed to be 40 degrees (approx 103F) so I won't be counting on any snow! (or hot chocolate boo hoo ;) )

toughCookie
12-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Blessed be... does that mean what I think?

HoRsELUvR
12-21-2002, 08:52 AM
Thanks ramanth.I was wondering what yuletide meant,lol.Miss Meow- it seems so weird that in another part of the world its 103 degrees and here in North America we're freezing our tails off!:cool:

mugsy
12-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Happy Solstice everyone. Happy Yule also. Thanks Kimmy for the explanation. Next time you come down here, You HAVE to meet one of my best friends...you would love her.

OMG...103 degrees....I'd melt...maybe I'd better reconsider moving to Australia. I'm a winter kind of girl and DETEST summer!! lol

COCatMama
12-21-2002, 04:29 PM
I am sick of winter, and it's only just begun!! :eek:

Miss Meow
12-21-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by HoRsELUvR
Thanks ramanth.I was wondering what yuletide meant,lol.Miss Meow- it seems so weird that in another part of the world its 103 degrees and here in North America we're freezing our tails off!:cool:

We were lucky, it only got to about 93F :) I don't know anybody who likes it any hotter, it's just too hard to do anything without falling over from the heat!

I really liked the story of the Holly King and Oak King. I love mythology and the stories told through the ages.

CathyBogart
12-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Happy solstice and merry yuletide to everyone as well!

Uabassoon
12-21-2002, 09:46 PM
We were lucky, it only got to about 93F I don't know anybody who likes it any hotter, it's just too hard to do anything without falling over from the heat!

Us crazy folk who live in Arizona!! We get up to 110F in the summer, I usually become nocturnal in the summer.

CathyBogart
12-22-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by toughCookie
Blessed be... does that mean what I think?

Erm....Exactly what do you think it means?

toughCookie
12-22-2002, 02:45 AM
I have heard that is the wicca greeting.

anna_66
12-22-2002, 07:13 AM
Thanks Kim, that was great! I always wondered what Solstice was. Someone at work was just asking me about that the other day!

moosmom
12-22-2002, 07:24 AM
Kimmy,

Thanks for sharing that. I never heard of Soltice till I saw it here. And yes it WAS the shortest day of the year! It got dark very quickly.

Merry Soltice and Happy Yule everyone!

ramanth
12-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by toughCookie
I have heard that is the wicca greeting.
It is a greeting commonly used by Wiccans. It's just their way of saying hello and may good fortune smile upon you. :)

Mike, I don't think there is any specific ceremony. It's just a celebration of life. :)

I nabbed this off a website:

Summer Solstice, sometimes known as Midsummer, Litha, or St. John's Day, occurs in the middle of June. It is a celebration of the longest day of the year and the beginning of Summer. It has been a grand tribal gathering time since ancient times. The Goddess manifests as Mother Earth and the God as the Sun King. Colors are Yellow, Green, and Blue. It is a festival of community sharing and planetary service.
Celebrate Solstice time with other Pagans -- take part in the Pagan Spirit Gathering or some other Pagan festival happening during June. Keep a Sacred Fire burning throughout the gathering. Stay up all night on Solstice Eve and welcome the rising Sun at dawn. Make a pledge to Mother Earth of something that you will do to improve the environment and then begin carrying it out. Have a magical gift exchange with friends. Burn your Yule wreath in a Summer Solstice bonfire. Exchange songs, chants, and stories with others in person or through the mail. Do ecstatic dancing to drums around a blazing bonfire.

My friend and I do a lot of dancing and story telling. :) But then.. we always do that! :D

Here is a wonderful informative website:

SUMMER SOLSTICE CELEBRATIONS: ANCIENT AND MODERN (http://www.religioustolerance.org/summer_solstice.htm)

It takes a look at how Solstice is viewed and celebrated by all walks of life, past and present. :)