PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Greenpeace!

Lady's Human
12-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I knew you were fools, but didn't think you had slipped this far over the edge:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/13/world/americas/peru-is-indignant-after-greenpeace-makes-its-mark-on-ancient-site.html?_r=0

CARACAS, Venezuela — An expression of concern by the environmental group Greenpeace about the carbon footprint was marred this week by real footprints — in a fragile, and restricted, landscape near the Nazca lines, ancient man-made designs etched in the Peruvian desert.

The Peruvian authorities said activists from the group damaged a patch of desert when they placed a large sign that promoted renewable energy near a set of lines that form the shape of a giant hummingbird.

phesina
12-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that one just took my breath away. The arrogance and pigheadedness..

Karen
12-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Stupidity, crelessness and disregard for a country's and a people's cultural heritage, as well as the law. They should so more than apologize, they should fund the work to restore the area to its pristine state - even if they have to spend research $$ how to do it.

Lady's Human
12-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Stupidity, crelessness and disregard for a country's and a people's cultural heritage, as well as the law. They should so more than apologize, they should fund the work to restore the area to its pristine state - even if they have to spend research $$ how to do it.

The Peruvian government cannot restore the site. The Nazca lines are a unique product of chemistry and the soil, they have no means to restore the subsurface once it's been exposed.

Karen
12-13-2014, 05:18 PM
The Peruvian government cannot restore the site. The Nazca lines are a unique product of chemistry and the soil, they have no means to restore the subsurface once it's been exposed.

I bet of GP throws enough money at it, a solution can be found.

mon
12-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I sure hope yer kidding. Pretty stunned 4sure if not:rolleyes:

Karen
12-13-2014, 09:24 PM
I sure hope yer kidding. Pretty stunned 4sure if not:rolleyes:

The thread title is meant sarcastically. GP screwed up massively. The whole stunt did more harm than good to their reputation, and massive harm to a cultural heritage site.