PDA

View Full Version : Really neat map - what color is your area?

Karen
12-05-2014, 12:17 PM
http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/

I am happy to be in a kinda calico area!

Karen
12-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Just posting to add, you can zoom in really close, it gets more interesting when you are closer in, areas that look all blue from a distance have other colors when you close in!

phesina
12-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Mine looks purple with some blue and green.. a few dots of red, which surprised me because there are lots of Asians here. but then when I got real close in, I saw lots of red dots.

RICHARD
12-06-2014, 09:22 AM
My little dot moved East!!!!!;)

Very interesting and kinda fun to look at.

I remember filling out my census book and feeling a little sad that the house 'population' had dwindled down to one person......:(

thanks for the link!

Freedom
12-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I was going to say use the zoom, then I saw you added that.

Where I live now is interesting, the neighborhood is mostly blue but then the strip at the end of my street, which is low income housing (several very large apartment complexes) are every other color!

And where I will be when I move appears blue until you zoom in. Then there is an almost equal amount of red with the blue.

Nice find Karen, thanks for sharing!

Vette
12-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Not sure how to read it even with zoom cuz my states mostly white an when i zoom in it kinda of disappears an i cant tell where anything is at anymore. LOL
so i guess white an a tid of blue

Karen
12-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Not sure how to read it even with zoom cuz my states mostly white an when i zoom in it kinda of disappears an i cant tell where anything is at anymore. LOL
so i guess white an a tid of blue

Vette - if you look on the left side, there's a button and you can turn on map labels - that helps a lot! And if I look at Spokane - lots of blue dots and some red - I didn't zoom in to a particular neighborhood or anything, but when you zoom in it even gets down to street labels!

Roxyluvsme13
12-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Very green in the area I'm currently in...

Lady's Human
12-08-2014, 05:14 AM
Very white...

as in damned few dots of any color. LOL

sallyandsnowx
12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Very interesting!!

I live in Philadelphia, which is a very segregated city, and you can completely tell from this map. It is either completely blue or completely green in a certain neighborhood.

pomtzu
12-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Hmmm - not too accurate IMO. DE shows mostly blue, so that is really skewed. Seems that there are as many Blacks (the map used this term, so I guess I can too), Hispanics, and those of Arabic culture.

Scooter's Mom
12-10-2014, 07:49 PM
I was going to say use the zoom, then I saw you added that.

Where I live now is interesting, the neighborhood is mostly blue but then the strip at the end of my street, which is low income housing (several very large apartment complexes) are every other color!

And where I will be when I move appears blue until you zoom in. Then there is an almost equal amount of red with the blue.

Nice find Karen, thanks for sharing!

You're moving? Is this something happening in the near future?