PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Text

mrspunkysmom
12-04-2014, 01:23 PM
I have Grammarly installed on the laptop, and the latest update is causing some problems on a particular forum. The forum uses php.
I have ghost text interfering with replies. Even on a new thread, the characters are echoed over top the current text.
Help? I also have a mousepad freeze program since my version of windows has an erratic mousepad.
I have no problems with facebook.

Karen
12-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I have Grammarly installed on the laptop, and the latest update is causing some problems on a particular forum. The forum uses php.
I have ghost text interfering with replies. Even on a new thread, the characters are echoed over top the current text.
Help? I also have a mousepad freeze program since my version of windows has an erratic mousepad.
I have no problems with facebook.

That sounds like a problem with your screen refresh, not with the php software! Have you tried scrolling down and back up in the window when it happens?

mrspunkysmom
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
That sounds like a problem with your screen refresh, not with the php software! Have you tried scrolling down and back up in the window when it happens?

yup, it seems to happen only to this forum. I don't belong to any other forums, but maybe I should check. Grammarly recently did a big update. hmmm.

mrspunkysmom
12-04-2014, 06:32 PM
I signed up in another forum, Gateworld, just to see if I have the same problems. Yup. It's a display while typing in the text box. The posts display fine otherwise.

I'm going to shut down the computer and restart. If it continues upon restart, I will remove Grammarly. That should do the trick.

Edit: Nope, restarting doesn't help. uninstall is next.

Edit: Okay. Disabling Grammarly extension and restarting Chrome worked.

I really like Grammarly. I'll need to check this out.

Karen
12-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I signed up in another forum, Gateworld, just to see if I have the same problems. Yup. It's a display while typing in the text box. The posts display fine otherwise.

I'm going to shut down the computer and restart. If it continues upon restart, I will remove Grammarly. That should do the trick.

Edit: Nope, restarting doesn't help. uninstall is next.

Edit: Okay. Disabling Grammarly extension and restarting Chrome worked.

I really like Grammarly. I'll need to check this out.

Okay - yeah, some extensions interfere with different versions of system software! Especially on PCs.

mrspunkysmom
12-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Okay - yeah, some extensions interfere with different versions of system software! Especially on PCs.

Well, this is a laptop but not much different than a PC. I disabled and then deleted Grammarly. I emailed them, and they say they are looking into it.

The real issue is that the software does automatic updates. That means that I can't refuse or roll it back. Perhaps they will look into that so that their software would be used.

At least I didn't pay for it. Then I would really be annoyed.

Karen
12-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Well, this is a laptop but not much different than a PC. I disabled and then deleted Grammarly. I emailed them, and they say they are looking into it.

The real issue is that the software does automatic updates. That means that I can't refuse or roll it back. Perhaps they will look into that so that their software would be used.

At least I didn't pay for it. Then I would really be annoyed.

That's good - someone with grammarly in their email address registered for Pet Talk - did the support for Grammarly have a gmail-based address?

pomtzu
12-09-2014, 08:12 AM
This isn't considered ghost text - but it did pi$$ me off.

I use Firefox - and my default home page and search engine has always been Google - ever since I got my first computer. It seems that Firefox has divorced Google and taken up with Yahoo. Firefox deleted MY default choices from MY computer, and put THEIRS on here instead. My son said it's just Firefox installing updates - but still...........:mad: Excuse me Firefox - but this is MY computer and you have no business making choices for me. I had to go thru the annoyance of changing it back - no big deal or time consuming effort - but I shouldn't have had to in the first place. Updating or not, I don't think this particular action should be allowed to happen.

If Firefox chooses to mess around - then I'll just go with Google Chrome. At least I know that Yahoo won't be shoved down my throat by GC ! :rolleyes: :p

mrspunkysmom
12-10-2014, 12:52 AM
That's good - someone with grammarly in their email address registered for Pet Talk - did the support for Grammarly have a gmail-based address?

I'll have to see. Maybe. They did send an email to me saying they are aware of the problem. I don't think I told them what forum it was. Must not be too many forums out there. Oh, I just checked the email. The screenshot had the URL in it. They wanted to see what the fuss was about.

AS for email address, the replies I've received are from grammarly.com. I've not seen the gmail address.

I'm glad they are checking it out.

I told them I had to remove grammarly. I didn't pay for it, but I'm sure they have some paying customers.

mrspunkysmom
12-10-2014, 12:59 AM
This isn't considered ghost text - but it did pi$$ me off.

I use Firefox - and my default home page and search engine has always been Google - ever since I got my first computer. It seems that Firefox has divorced Google and taken up with Yahoo. Firefox deleted MY default choices from MY computer, and put THEIRS on here instead. My son said it's just Firefox installing updates - but still...........:mad: Excuse me Firefox - but this is MY computer and you have no business making choices for me. I had to go thru the annoyance of changing it back - no big deal or time consuming effort - but I shouldn't have had to in the first place. Updating or not, I don't think this particular action should be allowed to happen.

If Firefox chooses to mess around - then I'll just go with Google Chrome. At least I know that Yahoo won't be shoved down my throat by GC ! :rolleyes: :p

Oh I can't stand it when they make choices for us. McAfee got a major chewing out last year just for that. I finally switched recently to an open sourced AV program.

McAFee would interfere with my web choices on a regular basis.

mrspunkysmom
04-05-2015, 01:38 AM
three months back and doesn't work.