PDA

View Full Version : If the latest pointless medical study is true

Lady's Human
11-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Then I'm all set.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/540506/Drinking-Coffee-Fights-Alzheimer-s-Risk

It shows that regular, life-long moderate coffee consumption was associated with a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's Disease with the body of evidence suggesting that coffee drinkers can reduce their risk of developing the disease.

Karen
11-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Hmm, is it just the caffeine? Does tea count?

Lady's Human
11-26-2014, 10:35 PM
It's not just the caffeine, according to the study it's the other compounds in coffee along with the caffeine.

mrspunkysmom
11-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Interesting study. It just shows that no one method prevents disease or causes it for most diseases.

I wonder if they plan to study the effect of mental stimulation on the development of dementia and Alzheimers? How many people also read the newspaper or work crossword puzzles while drinking the morning coffee?

Catty1
11-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I read this about nicotine patches...seems some people with Parkinson's have found help from them. I've read only anecdotal proof on a PD forum I subscribe to.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-a-nicotine-patch-make-you-smarter-excerpt/

“I understand that smoking is bad,” said Maryka Quik, director of the Neurodegenerative Diseases Program at SRI International,
a nonprofit research institute based in California’s Silicon Valley. “My father died of lung cancer. I totally get it.”

“The whole problem with nicotine is that it happens to be found in cigarettes,” she told me.
“People can’t disassociate the two in their mind, nicotine and smoking. It’s not the general public that annoys me,
it’s the scientists. When I tell them about the studies, they should say, ‘Wow.’ But they say, ‘Oh well, that might be true,
but I don’t see the point.’ It’s not even ignorance. It’s their preconceived ideas and inflexibility.”

I met Quik at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience held in Washington, D.C. Amid thousands of studies presented
in a cavernous exhibition hall, the title of hers jumped out: “Nicotine Reduces L-dopa-Induced Dyskinesias by Acting at 2 Nicotinic Receptors.”

“A huge literature says that smoking protects against Parkinson’s,”she said. “It started as a chance observation, which is frequently the most interesting kind.”

mrspunkysmom
11-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Doctor's and other "educated" people can be just as closed-minded as the uneducated.