PDA

View Full Version : Introducing GUS (Sunny's new brother); UPDATED PICS :)

MoonandBean
10-22-2014, 10:16 AM
On 9/21, I went to our local rescue to "help" unload a bunch of puppies and dogs who were rescued from a kill shelter in SC. I fell in love with this quiet, sweet puppy and decided to take him home to "foster" him (I always knew we were keeping him...LOL) This pic is him in the car coming home.

MoonandBean
10-22-2014, 10:16 AM
This next pic is the next day when he couldn't finish our walk and had to be carried home (we didn't know he was sick at this point but hindsight tells me now that he was a bit lethargic)

MoonandBean
10-22-2014, 10:18 AM
We noticed his stools were black so we took a sample in to the vet and found out he had hookworms. By the time we got the results over the phone, he was significantly lethargic so we rushed him to the vet where he first got an IV and then we took him to a 24 hour emergency animal hospital where he had 2 units of blood. :(

MoonandBean
10-22-2014, 10:22 AM
He got to come home the next day and was feeling significantly better! We treated the hookworms and everything seems to be normal now although we still have to get a totally clean sample (the first follow up still had some worms but the next one should be good). Most importantly, Sunny is on Heartguard which protects against hookworms so we didn't have to worry about her (but of course, I still did and brought a sample in for her too...she was fine)

MoonandBean
10-22-2014, 10:24 AM
We have had him a month now and he is doing great!! He fit right in our home. Moon has only chased him around the house once. Bean ignores him. Sunny loves having a baby brother except at night when he gets the Zoomies and freaks her out a bit. We officially adopted him the day he needed the emergency vet care. He is a total love bug and we love him!!

pomtzu
10-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Welcome, Gus. You sure have been thru a lot already in your young life. How lucky you were to have landed in a home where you got the care that you needed. Hope all the "yuckiness" is all behind you now, and you can concentrate on being the pesty little brother of the family, and getting lots of love and TLC. ;) :love:

cassiesmom
10-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Hi, Gus and Sunny! Hi, Moon and Bean! Gus, I am so glad you got the care you needed right away! Now you are healthy and having all sorts of puppy fun! :D Welcome Home!

mrspunkysmom
10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Gus. You picked a good family to take care of you.

MoonandBean' mom,

You work with a rescue? I now belong to a multistate rescue that works with Greenville ACS. Ours get tested before they leave the shelter. It's a kill shelter, too, but the pull fee includes a spay/neuter and basic shots.

I'm glad he is okay.

Karen
10-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Aww, he looks adorable! Bless you for rescuing and helping him!

maid25cats
10-22-2014, 09:32 PM
He is totally adorable.
LOVE the picture of him in the car seat.
I think he was trying to hypnotize you with his cuteness.
please keep me :D please keep me :D

Glad he is feeling better.

Welcome to your forever home Gus.

chocolatepuppy
10-23-2014, 05:24 AM
Aww, welcome to Pet Talk Gus!!! What a cutie you are! :love:Thank goodness you're all better now!

I'm sure Sunny loves having a little brother!:D

MoonandBean
10-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Gus. You picked a good family to take care of you.

MoonandBean' mom,

You work with a rescue? I now belong to a multistate rescue that works with Greenville ACS. Ours get tested before they leave the shelter. It's a kill shelter, too, but the pull fee includes a spay/neuter and basic shots.

I'm glad he is okay.

Thanks mrspunkysmom :) All of the dogs/puppies that left this shelter in SC were spayed/neutered, had shots and were *supposed* to have been dewormed but his litter somehow missed their deworming and they all had hookworms and roundworms. :eek: Gus had the worst case and needed a blood transfusion due to the amount of blood he lost. His hemoblobin was down to 3 and his PCV (packed cell volume) was 10. He really almost died so we are so grateful to now have a happy, healthy puppy and of course, that experience made us love him even more. Our local rescue made sure they let the shelter in SC know what happened so they can be more diligent about deworming.

MoonandBean
10-23-2014, 08:52 AM
He is totally adorable.
LOVE the picture of him in the car seat.
I think he was trying to hypnotize you with his cuteness.
please keep me :D please keep me :D

Glad he is feeling better.

Welcome to your forever home Gus.

Thank you :) Yes, he totally won me over. He was so calm at the rescue. After his blood transfusion, he became a little more of a terror but he is still pretty calm for a puppy :love:

MoonandBean
10-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks Pomtzu, Karen, Chocolatepuppy and Elise. We totally love him and I survived bringing a puppy home unplanned :p (neither of us are homeless...LOL)

Freedom
10-23-2014, 09:02 AM
All that caring and worry is a bonding experience, which runs both ways. I'm sure Gus is VERY attached to his new humans now.

Love th photos, expecially him rolling over and Sunny standing laughing next to him! :love:

Bean let Moon do the 'dirty work' of explaining just who is in charge, ha haaa.

MoonandBean
10-23-2014, 09:36 AM
All that caring and worry is a bonding experience, which runs both ways. I'm sure Gus is VERY attached to his new humans now.

Love th photos, expecially him rolling over and Sunny standing laughing next to him! :love:

Bean let Moon do the 'dirty work' of explaining just who is in charge, ha haaa.

Yes, Moon "trained" Sunny too. He just has to let them know who's in charge.

Taz_Zoee
10-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Welcome (officially) home Gus!! :D
He is such a cutie!

sallyandsnowx
10-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Welcome to your new home, Gus! What a cutie you are. ;)

MoonandBean
10-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks Cindy and Sallyandsnow

Lady's Human
10-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Welcome home, Gus.

He really seems to know who actually owns the car he's riding in. :p

cassiesmom
10-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Gus's hemoglobin was 3?! No wonder he was lethargic. My goodness! I'm not exactly sure what a normal hemoglobin should be for a puppy, though I would think it should be at least 8 or 9. Gus, you are already dressed up for Halloween with your black and white tuxedo coat! Could you be any cuter, I really don't see how :) I'm sure you are now eating healthful food, playing with puppy toys and learning everything you need to know from Sunny and Moon!

MoonandBean
10-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Gus's hemoglobin was 3?! No wonder he was lethargic. My goodness! I'm not exactly sure what a normal hemoglobin should be for a puppy, though I would think it should be at least 8 or 9. Gus, you are already dressed up for Halloween with your black and white tuxedo coat! Could you be any cuter, I really don't see how :) I'm sure you are now eating healthful food, playing with puppy toys and learning everything you need to know from Sunny and Moon!

Elise, his Hgb should have been around 15. They also use a value called a PCV (packed cell volume) and he should have been around 45 and instead was 10. He really was minutes away from dying by the time we got him to the animal hospital (our vet gave him IV fluids and drew the blood but they don't have blood available for transfusions so we had to take him 20 minutes away). From what I've read about hookworms, puppies can crash FAST and that's exactly what happened. We are so happy he is a happy healthy boy now and we all love him tons, especially Sunny :)

MoonandBean
10-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Welcome home, Gus.

He really seems to know who actually owns the car he's riding in. :p

It's amazing how quickly he took over everyone and everything :D

MoonandBean
01-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Gus will be 6 months on 1/4/15. I put his baby picture in as the first pic below. Now look at him growing. YIKES :) I think we rescued a horse :D

Karen
01-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Methinks you need a new rug in that spot! :) More of him is off it than on!

Taz_Zoee
01-02-2015, 01:58 PM
You need to get another picture of him and Lori out on the grass. He will tower over her now!

What did they say his breed mix was?

He is so darn cute!!

Alysser
01-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Oh wow, I can't believe I missed this! I hope Gus and Sunny had a great Holiday! and he's absolutely adorable:love::)

cassiesmom
01-02-2015, 06:56 PM
You need to get another picture of him and Lori out on the grass. He is so darn cute!!

I agree completely - on both points! Hello, 6-month puppy Gus! :D I am so glad you're healthy and happy!