PDA

View Full Version : Superstitious Thursday #607

Lady's Human
10-16-2014, 05:21 AM
Hey, this Thursday is my area code. LOL

We all have stupid little quirks we deal with, figured we could have a Thursdays dedicated to them. It was going to be last Thursday, but my luck on Columbus Day held and the barkeep got the thread going before I could post.

Soooo, without further ado,

I refuse to do anything or go anywhere on Columbus Day other than work after almost being killed on three consecutive Columbus days. (twice by car, once by other means) I figure someone was trying to tell me something, and have decided to listen.

So, grab a Spider Cider and 'fess up!

Spider Cider:

2 ounces Wild Apple Vodka
2 ounces sour apple schnapps
1/4c cranberry juice
1/4 c apple juice
mix and pour over ice cubes with gummy spiders frozen in them.

Karen
10-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I'll have to ponder that one, none spring to mind immediately .... fun sounding drink!

pomtzu
10-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm not really superstitious - tho I won't walk under a ladder or pick a coin up off the ground if it is tails up. Can't think of anything else. Friday the 13th doesn't bother me, nor does just the number 13. Some people let their superstitions rule their lives way too much. :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
10-16-2014, 04:45 PM
My Polish grandma used to tell me that I'd lose all my money because I would put my purse down on the floor when I visited them. I still plop it on the floor, haven't lost everything... yet.

I guess I'm a bit superstitious. I always pick up a "found" coin for good luck, I hope that good luck will come my way if a black cat crosses my path. I wish on stars, I try to eat fish on New Year's Eve (that's from my Ukrainian grandpa- you eat fish, ideally herring, on New Year's Eve to bring success into the coming year).

As a nurse I truly believe that things go differently when there is a full moon. When I worked ortho/rehab we used to give patients more pain meds on full moon nights, and I'm not sure why. If a full moon fell on a "spring forward, fall back" Saturday night, I would let someone else work it. Bad things (code blue events, your favorite DNR patient passes away) happen in groups of three, I can't explain why. And you never ever speak the word "quiet" aloud at work, or the rest of your shift will be anything but.

Barkeep, I'll drink cranberry-apple juice with you. Please hold the vodka and schnapps from mine, though.

Lady's Human
10-16-2014, 04:48 PM
What about the gummy spiders in the ice cubes? :p

Karen
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
The responses so far reminded me, as a kid, I would always pick up any pennies I saw. It wasn't until I was at MassArt that I bent to pick up a penny and a friend shrieked, "No!!!!" so I stopped and looked at her, and said, "What the heck?"
"Only pick up pennies if they are face side up, otherwise it's bad luck, not good!"
As a perpetually broke student, I said, "Pennies are pennies - and it's already in my pocket, so neither side up!"

That was the first I heard of that one, but she is Italian, with a lot of superstitions passed along from her immigrant grandmother!

One my grandmother's cousin told me once made no sense to me whatsoever, at a holiday gathering, I was nibbling nuts from the nut dish that was set out for that purpose. She looked at me quite seriously, and said, "If you keep eating nuts, your nose will turn up!" which I thought would be interesting, not alarming, and pretty darned unlikely!

pomtzu
10-17-2014, 12:34 PM
LOL Karen. I'm Italian (or half anyway), and I never heard of the heads/tails up superstition as bring an "Italian thing". I always thought that was a pretty generic quirk that was shared by most everyone.

I also don't buy into 7 years of bad luck if you break a mirror. I've lost count of how may I broke over the years. And the full moon definitely has an effect on people, and that's not just a superstition. In dealing with the public when I was still working, the rude and obnoxious and ignorant individuals were always even worse than normal during a full moon. My ex was a cop, and crime and the like was always up during a full moon, and the loonies were super mega looney. And when I worked in a hospital MANY years ago, the mental ward was somewhere I hoped I would not be called to during this moon phase. Births are always also up. ;)

Lady's Human
10-18-2014, 11:14 AM
If breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck you'd get roughly 49 years of bad luck for a car accident:

3 rear view mirrors

reflectors in the headlights (2, 4 on some cars)

Reflectors in the tail lights (2,4,6, even up to 8 on some)

That 'splains a lot.. :p

Lady's Human
10-19-2014, 07:15 AM
Dear weather forecasters:

We are NOT amused.

The "S" word can stay on the shelf for at least another month or so.

Lady's Human
10-19-2014, 08:35 PM
I complain about the snow, but it did give me an excuse to get the fireplace going.

Blueberry slump, a glass of wine, and a roaring fire?

DONE!

pomtzu
10-20-2014, 07:36 AM
I complain about the snow, but it did give me an excuse to get the fireplace going.

Blueberry slump, a glass of wine, and a roaring fire?

DONE!

No snow here, but we had our first frost last night. Lovin' this chilly weather - I'm not a fan of hot and humid, tho this past summer wasn't as bad as usual. :p

And I really shouldn't even read anything on here before I'm completely awake. At first glace,, my lame brain read your "blueberry slump", as "blueberry shrimp". :eek: YUK!

Lady's Human
10-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Blueberry shrimp? BLEAH!

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it somewhere, it just sounds disgusting!

Chicken soup at the bar for them that want some, I'm going to go sit down with a glass of wine.

Karen
10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Blueberry Slump, please, yes! I am still on an annoyingly limited diet until Friday, so just about anything sounds good now!

Lady's Human
10-20-2014, 10:05 PM
With or without whipped cream, and with or without a bowl?

We can do airborne delivery....

Karen
10-21-2014, 05:32 PM
With or without whipped cream, and with or without a bowl?

We can do airborne delivery....

With whipped cream, I've got a bowl! ;)

cassiesmom
10-21-2014, 09:59 PM
What about the gummy spiders in the ice cubes? :p

Ice cubes - okay; gummy spiders - no, thank you.

RICHARD
10-22-2014, 11:47 AM
I'll do an adult beverage, please.

And thanks for opening the bar!!!!

Lady's Human
10-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Would that be with or without the gummy spiders?

Karen
10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Some of that blueberry slump would be marvelous on this cool and blustery, drizzly night! If it fell straight down I might call it rain, but the drops were actually flying sideways!

I'll put the kettle on, for a big pot of tea - chai or regular red tea, if anyone wants some!

Lady's Human
10-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Chai, please. It's a fine fall day in upstate NY, cool, drizzly, just right for soup and grilled cheese.