PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day - do you have work/school?

Karen
10-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Just curious, as I know the holiday has become questionable for many people, and the current politically correct thing is to say it is a stupid holiday ... or rename it .... but that would be a discussion for the Dog House!

I have always worked on the day, when I worked for other people, how about you?

I doubt it will go away anytime soon - it is prime "leaf-peeping time" for New England tourist places!

cassiesmom
10-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Chicago has a Columbus Day parade. There's a section of the University Village neighborhood in Chicago (around the University of Illinois campus) that's known as Little Italy because of the restaurants and shops located there. It also has the Italian American Sports Hall of Fame. There's an Italian American community on the northwest side of Chicago, too.

I wish THanksgiving was observed on this day, as it is in Canada. For me, Thanksgiving in late November seems to get in the rush of preparations for Christmas. Thanksgiving is actually my favorite holiday - gratitude, church, family, food and no pressure around gift-giving.

Karen
10-13-2014, 03:20 PM
I wish THanksgiving was observed on this day, as it is in Canada. For me, Thanksgiving in late November seems to get in the rush of preparations for Christmas. Thanksgiving is actually my favorite holiday - gratitude, church, family, food and no pressure around gift-giving.

I actually love that Thanksgiving is in November, I think the shortening days and cooler temperatures, the leaden skies and more somber beauty make us appreciate the warms and goodness of light and love and family even more than we wood amidst the fall spectacular of October!

lolli94
10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm working...always have!

Taz_Zoee
10-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Just another day for me. The only way I even notice it is a holiday is that there is no mail service and several banks are closed.
Other than that, it's business as usual!

mugsy
10-13-2014, 04:20 PM
I've never had it off...but then, I don't think anyone should. lol

Jessika
10-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Animals don't take holidays from being sick or needing vet visits, so neither do we!!

But, seriously. I think it's kind of dumb and not important.

caseysmom
10-13-2014, 06:01 PM
I use to have it off but we lost it and another holiday in some negotiations but we gained two personal development days so I can pick when I want them off. It was nice to have it off when the kids were growing up because they had school.

chocolatepuppy
10-13-2014, 07:21 PM
I have to work. Always have. Never knew people had it off.