PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Thursday #605!

RICHARD
10-02-2014, 10:09 AM
The topic of tortillas was a 'hot' subject for the last few days.

So why not a Tortilla Thursday?

Growing up in a household where a warm tortilla - corn or flour - was always a welcome thing to come home to?

Why not have a taco/burrito bar?

We have Quesadillas - plain cheese and with every filling you can imagine.

Tacos, crunchy and soft - pork, beef and chicken, all the toppings you want.

Sopes, thick corn rounds with beans, shredded meats and toppings and who can forget the BURRITO!

We have Mexican beers, margaritas and aguas frescas (fresh waters) made of fruits....

After being sick for almost two weeks, I need a party!!

DOne!

Lady's Human
10-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Orc has volunteered to be the tortilla press.....not sure how I feel about that. Just keep the spicy stuff away from Angel unless you want a jet-propelled puppy.

The Sopes do sound good, I think I'll just have a fw of those washed down with some beer.

RICHARD
10-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Orc has volunteered to be the tortilla press.....not sure how I feel about that. Just keep the spicy stuff away from Angel unless you want a jet-propelled puppy.

The Sopes do sound good, I think I'll just have a fw of those washed down with some beer.

One of each.....cold Mexican beer.....DONE!

Lady's Human
10-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Would one of everything be a mexican smorgasboard?

cassiesmom
10-02-2014, 04:15 PM
We're getting a new supermarket in my neighborhood in a few weeks, they are hiring and putting up signs. The Dominick's (Safeway brand) closed almost a year ago. The location is being taken over by Tony's, which is a Chicago based small chain. There's one near where my mom and dad used to live, and my dad took me there a few times. It's multi-ethnic, in that they stock items that are bought by the Hispanic and Eastern European families who live in the area. So I hope the one coming to my neighborhood will be the same. They carry locally made Polish sausage, breads, dumplings and pierogi, plus a selection of Mexican cheeses, produce and chorizo. And the usual supermarket stuff too. I like to shop there because it's multi-lingual, multi-cultural, and usually pretty busy. So I'll have an agua fresca with you :)

RICHARD
10-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Would one of everything be a mexican smorgasboard?

LOL, Un Smorgasboard Mexicano!
;)

CM,
I came across some Soy Chorizo when I lived in CA, I tried it and it was really good.

If you like if for breakfast?

Cube up some potatoes and cook them up, put them aside and put some chorizo in and cook it until it renders off the grease. drain and put the potatoes back in and crack an egg or two.....scramble the eggs up and spoon the mixture into a preheated tortilla.....It's awesome, You need to play around with the portions - mex cooking is always an adventure.

One agua fresca!

DONE.

Queen of Poop
10-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Could I get a fish taco. So fell in love with them in California. They aren't so good here.

RICHARD
10-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Could I get a fish taco. So fell in love with them in California. They aren't so good here.

Yes! They seem to get better as you get to the coast?;)

One dozen! done!

smokey the elder
10-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Mmm....maybe a fish taco and a strawberry Margarita.:)

Queen of Poop
10-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Mmm....maybe a fish taco and a strawberry Margarita.:)

Make that two!!

Karen
10-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Chicken Quesedilla please to go with my mug of tea!

First hot chai of the season, anyone want some?

Lady's Human
10-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Hey, Madame mayor, can I interest you in a toatada, cha cha cha cha cha.....?
:p

Karen
10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Egads, that's a long time, they were awful, cha cha cha ...
No thanks, cha cha cha!

Lady's Human
10-06-2014, 05:10 PM
They did, however, make good frisbees, which were always in demand!

RICHARD
10-06-2014, 11:52 PM
They did, however, make good frisbees, which were always in demand!

There is a Non-Rose Parade that is held in Pasadena CA. It's called the Doo Dah Parade.

For years, people would show up with tortillas to throw during the parade.

The police finally put a stop to the pratice, people were getting hurt.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-11-25/local/me-889_1_doo-dah-parade

I did read that the practice has begun again recently...... I did get a chance to see it one year in person and it was everything I thought it would be.....Especially the Bastard Sons of Lee Marvin and the Briefcase Drill Team....

Refills and margaritas for everyone.

Done.

Lady's Human
10-07-2014, 07:07 AM
The Tostadas were a bad attempt by a summer camp cooking staff (which normally had decent food, really) to have a mexican night.

The refried beans were almost tasteless, and were the consistency of grout. The beans were damned near room temp to boot. The rest of it wasn't much better. The tortillas made repeated appearances in the courtyard as frisbees until the camp staff quietly suggested it would be a good idea to stop.

Suicide frisbee? No problem, but don't use our tortillas as frisbees!

kuhio98
10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Bobcat and I have been on a citrus Margarita kick lately. I add the juice and pulp of half an orange to the mix. Yum!
Of course, with all of Bobcat's medications, we sometimes leave out the tequila and have Mockaritas instead. :)

RICHARD
10-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Bobcat and I have been on a citrus Margarita kick lately. I add the juice and pulp of half an orange to the mix. Yum!
Of course, with all of Bobcat's medications, we sometimes leave out the tequila and have Mockaritas instead. :)

Let me finish with a refill of margaritas, real and mocked.....

Done!