PDA

View Full Version : Garden Excess?

Lady's Human
09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
I had to laugh this afternoon.

I went down cellar to check on the onions the kids were supposed to pick, wash, and lay out to dry.

We planted roughly 600 onion sets in the spring.

Sitting on the tarp in the basement were about 10-15 pounds of onions.

I started to get irritated, figuring they had shammed out of finishing the job. When I went out to check the garden, however, I had to laugh. They had, indeed, picked all but a few of the onions. Where did the rest go?

Well, when you've canned 80 or so quarts of stewed tomatoes, 28 pints of salsa, 30 pints of chutney, and numerous pints of pickles, you kinda go through a few onions.

cassiesmom
09-29-2014, 03:12 PM
So, LH- will you plant more onion sets next spring, since you ended up using a lot of them with stewed tomatoes, salsa and other home-made yummy things?

Lady's Human
09-29-2014, 03:25 PM
So, LH- will you plant more onion sets next spring, since you ended up using a lot of them with stewed tomatoes, salsa and other home-made yummy things?

Yeppers.....looks like 600 sets weren't enough.

I hate to think I have to BUY onions this year. LOL

Karen
09-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Hee hee - amazing, isn't it? Keep going, and you'll end up with a Bummy-sized garden!

Angel's Human
09-29-2014, 08:30 PM
I had to laugh this afternoon.

I went down cellar to check on the onions the kids were supposed to pick, wash, and lay out to dry.

We planted roughly 600 onion sets in the spring.

Sitting on the tarp in the basement were about 10-15 pounds of onions.

I started to get irritated, figuring they had shammed out of finishing the job. When I went out to check the garden, however, I had to laugh. They had, indeed, picked all but a few of the onions. Where did the rest go?

The only problem I have with our onions is the anger. If I had to rate them on a scale of 1 to10, weakest being 1, and 10 being strongest, I would have to say 25, and explain my answer with "You go try to chop those onions without having to stop after five seconds."

Karen
09-29-2014, 08:40 PM
The only problem I have with our onions is the anger. If I had to rate them on a scale of 1 to10, weakest being 1, and 10 being strongest, I would have to say 25, and explain my answer with "You go try to chop those onions without having to stop after five seconds."

Yeah - Your Aunt Jody would be sneezing the whole time - I'd alternate between sneezing and having tears in my eyes, which is an odd combination! Putting them in the fridge before hand seems to help though!

Lady's Human
09-29-2014, 08:54 PM
The fridge doesn't really help these, if anything time spent refrigerated seems to make them angrier. We even planted sweet onions this year in addition to the usual yellow onions, didn't help. They were all angry.

Karen
09-29-2014, 10:10 PM
The fridge doesn't really help these, if anything time spent refrigerated seems to make them angrier. We even planted sweet onions this year in addition to the usual yellow onions, didn't help. They were all angry.

Hmm, cranky dirt = angrier onions? We had a really dry summer here, maybe you did too?

Lady's Human
09-30-2014, 06:10 AM
Hmm, cranky dirt = angrier onions? We had a really dry summer here, maybe you did too?

It's the composition of the soil, not the moisture. The angry onions are an annual issue.

cassiesmom
09-30-2014, 05:02 PM

Anger management for onions? :)