PDA

View Full Version : Miss America -----talented?????

pomtzu
09-15-2014, 03:25 PM
I never watch the competition, but last night there was really nothing on t.v. that I wanted to see, so I decided to watch the pageant. Now I don't know if it's just me - but where is the talent in Miss New York, sitting on the floor singing, and using a Big Red Cup as a prop?? HUH????? Didn't the judges hear some wonderful voices in some contestants, or the genuine talent of playing musical instruments, the dancers, and of course the ventriloquist who I thought was absolutely charming. Yes - I know talent is only part of the score - but come on now.............what were they thinking?? I was floored when Miss Pennsylvania never even made it into the finals and was cut right away - she had a beautiful voice.

Gotta say - there must be some politics involved here. :mad:

Karen
09-15-2014, 04:01 PM
That song, and the red cup prop was used in the movie "Pitch Perfect." The song is an old one, but it got updated by a couple singers having fun - here is a YouTube link to the original, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWCOYJg9ps4 by Lulu and the Lampshades - they use maybe yogurt containers, but in the movie, the Anna Kendrick character uses the classic Red Solo cup, ubiquitous on college campuses everywhere!

I didn't watch the competition, but as soon as you said Big Red Cup I knew what song it probably was!

pomtzu
09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
That song, and the red cup prop was used in the movie "Pitch Perfect." The song is an old one, but it got updated by a couple singers having fun - here is a YouTube link to the original, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWCOYJg9ps4 by Lulu and the Lampshades - they use maybe yogurt containers, but in the movie, the Anna Kendrick character uses the classic Red Solo cup, ubiquitous on college campuses everywhere!

I didn't watch the competition, but as soon as you said Big Red Cup I knew what song it probably was!

Yeah - but I sure didn't view it as being deserving of taking the crown. I've heard a whole lot of statements of disbelief and shock all over the news and talk shows. There were just so many other girls way more deserving of it, than she was.

Taz_Zoee
09-15-2014, 06:02 PM
I did not watch the competition last night. But my friend told me the girl who won grew up in Walnut Creek, CA which is the next town over from where I live. So I googled it.
I thought she was not very pretty either and my friend told me she won because of her talent. REALLY?? Before watching the video of her talent segment I said - she won singing Happy sitting on the stage playing with a red cup?? I've never seen Pitch Perfect either. So then I watched the video. Sure her voice is nice, but I couldn't even hear the cup. The point of the cup is to hear the claps and taps of the cup. Like on Anna Kendrick's song...........Cups. You hear them!
Yeah, I thought her talent was a bit lacking. I think it's rigged so New York wins! ;)

cassiesmom
09-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I thought Miss New York's "talent" wasn't appropriate for the competition. I was flipping back and forth between the Bears game and the Miss America pageant, and thinking I'm not sure if the Miss America pageant is as relevant nowadays as it was 30 years ago. Does it still inspire young women?