PDA

View Full Version : Phesina updates - Home!!!

phesina
09-13-2014, 02:10 PM
On Monday I will be having back surgery at the University of Michigan Hospital.

Don't know how soon after I will be able to get on line. I will see if or how I can get word out to you guys how it all went. Hope I'll be back in touch soon!

Pat :love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
09-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Pat, I will PM you my phone number, so you can either call, or have a friend call us!

pomtzu
09-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Good luck, Pat. I'm hoping that it won't be nearly as bad as you are expecting. But I guess it's best to prepare for the worst, and then be pleasantly surprised when it wasn't too bad afterall. Always worked for me.................:D

Felicia's Mom
09-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Good luck. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

phesina
09-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Thank you so much, Karen and Ellie and Nancy!

I'm doing my best to keep a positive outlook, on how much better I'll be doing and feeling after this.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

kuhio98
09-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Pat ~ Keeping you and your kits in my prayers. I know this will all work out for the best.

Gentle hugs.

lizbud
09-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Wishing you the very best of luck with the surgery.:) I also pray that your recovery is quick & uncomplicated & the kitties behave while
you are away.;) I'm glad that Karen can let everyone know afterwards.

Queen of Poop
09-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Wishing you good luck with the surgery. Will keep you in my prayers. Cali and Diego send purrrrs.

mrspunkysmom
09-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Hugs and best of luck with the surgery.

Grace
09-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts following you through this journey.

Pat - take your cell phone. They encourage you to use them at the U. I was able to use mine the first day after my brain tumor - great reception. You might also check - call them on Sunday - to see if you could use a laptop computer. When I had my recent hip replacement out at Chelsea, I was able to use their wi-fi - and I would think/hope the U would have a similar set-up.

cassiesmom
09-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Got it and will absolutely be thinking of you, praying and wishing you all the best.

As a follow-up to what Grace said- you might ask if your nursing unit has a laptop or a tablet you can use, too. Most of the units at the hospital where I work have one or the other for patients to access education programs and get on-line.

mbsmum
09-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Good luck Pat, many purrs from Kaveri and Shiela.

Catty1
09-14-2014, 12:00 AM
All prayers that all goes well and you will heal quickly.:love::love:

Bonny
09-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Good thoughts & prayers sent your way.

phesina
09-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks, everyone, for all the prayers and good wishes. I plan to sail through this with flying colors (maize and blue, the U-M colors, anyway)!

And thanks, Gretchen and Elyse, for the tips on using your cell phone and checking about using a laptop, or even better if they have laptops available for the patients to use.

My sister will have my laptop and will bring it to me when I know I can use it. A catsitting client who is a social worker at the U told me that if I bring my own laptop, there might be a risk of it being stolen.

Thanks again! I am at Starbucks on my laptop right now (still don't have internet at home). Will try and get to the library later this afternoon for another check-in before the big day.

smokey the elder
09-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Good luck and fast healing!:love:

lizbud
09-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Just checking for any update on surgery. Will try again later.

snakemama
09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I know you probably won't be on for a bit - just wanted to say hi and I hope everything went smoothly!!

Karen
09-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Talking to her on the phone now, she came through everything well, and she'll have the post-op discussion with the surgeon tomorrow. She said something about fusing L1 and L2 and then they did a Laminectomy?? for the rest - she is on heavy painkillers right now. She wanted me to assure you it all went very well, and the kitties are doing well, and she will do whatever she has to to get everyone back together when she can! She'll be in rehab for she does not know how long, but after that hopefully will feel better than she has in a long time!

Grace
09-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the update, Karen.

Having problems fairly often with this site. I try to post something, or go to a page and get something like this ---

Error 520 Ray ID: 16a9af4f5f110436
Web server is returning an unknown error

Karen
09-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the update, Karen.

Having problems fairly often with this site. I try to post something, or go to a page and get something like this --

Error 520 Ray ID: 16a9af4f5f110436
Web server is returning an unknown error

Yes, see this thread: Funky Error (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?186716-Funky-error)

Catty1
09-15-2014, 10:30 PM
I am glad to hear that all went well! I wish her speedy healing!

I just had to look up Laminectomy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminectomy It's the removal of a part of the vertebra - called the lamina! - that creates a bit more space around the nerve to give it a place and time to heal. It's used for stenosis a lot.

Pretty minor compared to fusion...get well soon, Pat! :):love::love::love:

Felicia's Mom
09-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Glad everything went well.
I've been getting that error sign a lot too.

Karen
09-16-2014, 12:39 PM
We received an update from Phesina's sister this morning!

Her spinal surgery appeared to go very well, and the surgeon said she should do fine. She’ll be at University of Michigan Hospital for 3-4 days, and then at a rehab facility (yet to be named) for several more days, until she’s well enough to go home. We’ll keep you posted as to how things go.

Catty1
09-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Wonderful news! I hope she can go home soon. Will any home care be covered by her insurance? Just til she can cook and vacuum again, etc. :):love:

Randi
09-16-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well. :)

Pat, please take it easy, get the rest you need and do what the doctors say!

Is it possible to send a card? Can I use the normal address?

Take care Pat and heal up! Thinking of you and sending positive vibes. :love:

Karen
09-16-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well. :)

Pat, please take it easy, get the rest you need and do what the doctors say!

Is it possible to send a card? Can I use the normal address?

Take care Pat and heal up! Thinking of you and sending positive vibes. :love:

I will ask her sister about cards, and let you know!

pomtzu
09-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Just til she can cook and vacuum again, etc. :):love:

Having been down this same road, I'll tell you that she can cook (just as long as she's not trying to do a 20 lb turkey :p), but the vacuuming is out for a while!!!! :D No BLT - bending/lifting/twisting.

kaycountrygal
09-16-2014, 06:09 PM
9.16.14 I'm so glad to read that your back surgery went well. Good Luck with your rehab. Take care of yourself... Kay in NC

slick
09-16-2014, 06:38 PM
I will ask her sister about cards, and let you know!

Some hospitals allow email to patients. I'll check in to that.

Scooter's Mom
09-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Glad to hear the surgery went well. I tried to check yesterday but the pesky server error kicked me out.

Feel better soon!

Karen
09-16-2014, 08:40 PM
I just talked to Pat, she called me, and it seems like she will be in the hospital a few more days than originally expected. She said cards can be mailed to her regular mailing address, anyone who does not have it can PM me, and her sister will deliver them to her. She has spoken to the woman caring for the kitties, and they are doing very well.

She thanks everyone for their well wishes! And is sure she will have coverage for any additional care she needs, she made sure of that before scheduling this! No running in her future, but she should be able to take walks for exercise eventually!

Randi
09-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Thank you Karen and Slick, I will send her a card.

momcat
09-17-2014, 02:17 PM
I just received an update from Phesina's sister. The surgery went well and the outlook is good. She'll be in the University of Michigan Hospital for 3-4 days then on to rehab for several days until she's well enough to return home. No word yet about where Pat will go for rehab. As Pat's sister sends updates, I'll let you know how she's doing.

Karen
09-17-2014, 02:26 PM
I just received an update from Phesina's sister. The surgery went well and the outlook is good. She'll be in the University of Michigan Hospital for 3-4 days then on to rehab for several days until she's well enough to return home. No word yet about where Pat will go for rehab. As Pat's sister sends updates, I'll let you know how she's doing.

Yes, we have updates in her thread! :)

lizbud
09-17-2014, 03:11 PM

That's good to hear.:) I'll be glad when she can post "in person" if things when as smooth as opposed to what she might have expected. I've been
checking in this thread. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?186721-Back-surgery-Monday-(Sept-15)

mrspunkysmom
09-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Awesome. <3 :love:

Freedom
09-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Thank you so much for posting this news. Much appreciate the update!

Karen
09-20-2014, 03:45 PM
I just talked to Pat, everyone! She says hello, and misses everyone - human and animal - a lot! She is still in the hospital, healing is taking longer than she originally thought it was so she does not have the energy to even get her laptop going. She is hoping to know more, and maybe move to a rehab place Monday, and be able to log in there!

Please everyone send healing thought and prayers!

I did tell her about Buddy, http://dogoftheday.com/archive/2014/September/20.html and his being so playful he got kicked out of doggie daycare, and she actually laughed, so that was good! :)

cassiesmom
09-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Guess who just called me, Phesina! I'm so glad I got to talk to her! She is still in the hospital because her progress has gone more slowly than they expected. She said her pain is already better than before the surgery. While she is in the hospital she doesn't have access to a computer. So I thanked her for calling me and for the update :)

Thanks,
Elyse

Karen
09-20-2014, 06:31 PM
I merged the two threads for Phesina updates, so people wouldn't have to bounce back and forth between them!

momcat
09-20-2014, 07:47 PM
I just talked to Pat on the phone. She's feeling okay and sounds wonderful. Pat said she may leave the hospital for rehab possibly on Monday but that will be up to the doctors. She also said she hopes to be able to have her lap top at rehab so she can catch up with the PT events and updates. She sends a hi to all of her PT friends.

DJFyrewolf36
09-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Sending good thoughts for your continued recovery, Phesina!

Bonny
09-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Get Well Soon Phesina :)

mbsmum
09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Healing thoughts and prayers on the way to Pat

Catty1
09-21-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm glad Pat is feeling better now than before the surgery! Things can only get better. I'll send a card off to her shortly. :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-21-2014, 03:47 PM
So happy to hear Pat's surgery went well and she is on the mend!!! :D Get Well Soon Pat!!! :love:

Karen
09-23-2014, 12:06 PM
I heard from Phesina's sister - good news!

Pat is being discharged today from University Hospital to go to the rehabilitation center:

Regency at Bluffs Park
355 Huron View Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI
734-887-8700

(This facility earned a 5-star rating from US News & Business Report for Best Nursing Homes 2014.)

She’ll be there for several days, and then go home. She’s in good spirits and seems to be healing very well.

She really appreciates your calls and cards, as do I. Thank you, everyone.

One more step on the road to recovery! :)

Catty1
09-23-2014, 12:13 PM
i heard from phesina's sister - good news!

One more step on the road to recovery! :)

yaaahooooo!!!!! :D

smokey the elder
09-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Get well soon!

mbsmum
09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Glad to hear thet everything is going well.Loving Greetings from Switzerland. Prathima

Grace
09-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Wonderful news :)

I wonder if she'll get a room with a view of the Huron River?

slick
09-23-2014, 08:35 PM
I just had a long conversation with Pat. She is doing well and sounds good. Since she just arrived in rehab today, she is unsure as to how long she will be in there. Today they had her in a semi-private room but tomorrow (Wednesday) she gets moved into her own room. At that time there will be a phone put in so she can receive phone calls. Anyone can track her down by calling the number of the facility listed in Karen's post above.

She says hi to all of you and thanks for thinking of her.

Oh, and guess what I got in the mail today??? A card by none other than Sparkler with some of her fur. Sparkler calls me her Mewomie-in-law. So cute.

I will be calling her again in about two days time. Hopefully she will know more then.

Karen
09-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Aww, thanks for the update, Slick!
And how fun you got the card today!

Scooter's Mom
09-24-2014, 03:26 AM
Glad to see the news that she is on the mend. Whoever speaks to her next, give her my best wishes and love.

phesina
09-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Hi everybody!

Greetings from Regency at Bluffs Park (http://www.cienahealthcare.com/michigan-facilities/regency-at-bluffs-park/)! At last I got my laptop connected!

Thanks so very much for all the loving thoughts and good wishes and prayers and everything. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them all and love you for them.

The surgery went very well, and I'm already moving around free of the pain I had before. The surgeon said there was a lot of nerve damage in there, so I guess it's good that I had it done now rather than wait six months.

The incision has been taking its time draining, so that's why I was at the hospital this long. The surgeon decided to let me go rather than do a surgical wash now, though that could happen yet.

Pat :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
09-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Yay, glad you are able to read and post again!

phesina
09-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Having been down this same road, I'll tell you that she can cook (just as long as she's not trying to do a 20 lb turkey :p), but the vacuuming is out for a while!!!! :D No BLT - bending/lifting/twisting.

Right, no BLT...

Pom, did you do any rehab at all, or you went straight home, didn't you, since you had family to go home to. Did you have PT and OT and stuff to do?

Did you have any extended time incision draining?

Pat :love::love::love:

pomtzu
09-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Right, no BLT...

Pom, did you do any rehab at all, or you went straight home, didn't you, since you had family to go home to. Did you have PT and OT and stuff to do?

Did you have any extended time incision draining?

Pat :love::love::love:

Hi Pat...

I was sorry to read that things didn't go quite as smoothly for you as they did for me -- but every patient has different outcomes on the same procedure. Gretchen sailed right thru her hip replacement, while my BIL had life threatening complications that could have cost him his leg - or even his life. After a 2nd surgery 2 or 3 weeks after the first, to go in and clean everything out, he is home and on the road to recovery. It was touch and go for a while tho.

I had a lot more draining on the 2nd procedure than I did the first time, but they pulled the drain anyway after 3 days. Didn't seem to have any ill effects, but then a month after the surgery, I had that torn fascia and the spinal fluid leak that caused my back all along the incision, to look like Spongebob. With the lumbar compression brace, it squished most of it back into my system and was just absorbed naturally. I got some nerve irritation from the brace and can't wear it any longer, so I look like I have a bicycle tire around my waist from the fluid that didn't dissipate and just changed location but it's nothing drastic and may go away on it's own eventually. Certainly doesn't need to be manually drained.

I didn't do rehab - went straight home after 3 days in the hospital. Of course I had all the "normal" restrictions,, and doc encouraged me to walk-walk-walk. No PT or OT thank goodness, since I had that for months and after being in rehab for 2 weeks, after the cervical spine surgery in 2006 - The Year From Hell. :mad:

So I'm pretty much back to normal, and don't have to see my surgeon again till November. I think I may ask him for a PT order tho, since the strength hasn't come back in my legs, to the point I would like it to be. He left the option of PT up to me - if I wanted it or felt I needed it- and of course I didn't at the time. Looks like I need to change my mind on that one.

Thinking of you,, and hoping you get to go home very soon. Just take it slow and don't overdo when you get there.. Keep me posted on your progress.

{{{Hugs}}} my friend - and Wolfy sends doggie kisses too.

Oh - when you get a minute - go to Cat General and check out my thread of "Squirrel Tails". Had to introduce the kids to PT - finally. :D

phesina
09-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks, Ellie. They pulled the drain itself a few days after, but the incision has still been leaking some at the bottom. The surgeon considered doing a wash Tuesday morning but then decided to discharge me because he thought things looked better that it will be reabsorbed. I'm to see him again Monday, and if it still looks problematic, then he'll do the wash.

I just looked at your Squirrel thread. What sweeties!!!!!

Thanks for your encouragement. I am very depressed right now, to tell you the truth. I'd have to be extremely limited in my activity if I did go home now, but when I see him again I think I'll ask if home health assistance might do the job.

I still have stuff to rearrange and figure out what I'm going to do with, after the massive carpet-replacement job in the apartment which went into the week before the surgery.

I have a few questions for you by PM too, which I'll send as.

Thanks again, Ellie. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::l ove:

Pat

Grace
09-25-2014, 06:40 PM
A couple of things to add to what Ellie said - walk, walk, walk. Can't stress that enough. Get up every 30 minutes or so and walk around the house. Go stand at the kitchen counter and go up on your toes, then back down. Repeat 30 times. You can sit in a straight chair and "march" with your legs. There are lots of small exercises you can do on your own with no special equipment.

There were times at the beginning that I wondered when I would be able to put on my shoes and socks - by myself. Time passes faster than you think it will.

Lots of :love: :love: :love:

phesina
09-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Thank you, Gretchen. Dr. Patel (surgeon) told me that too, walk as much as you are able.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

kaycountrygal
09-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Hello, I am so glad and relieved for you that your surgery went well and that now you're in rehab. Kay in NC

mrspunkysmom
09-25-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm glad you are doing better and things are progressing. Keep up the good work! :love:

carole
09-25-2014, 11:08 PM
dearest Pat i am so happy to hear your surgery is over and went well and you are in recovery and doing so great, thinking of you, sorry i don't get to pet talk enough these days to keep up with all the happenings, but glad to read such positive news, take care.:love:

phesina
09-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Thank you, Kay and Anne and Carole! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
09-26-2014, 02:56 PM
I have been walking around with the walker a lot today!

:love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
09-26-2014, 03:14 PM
I have been walking around with the walker a lot today!

That's great news! Bet you will be tired later, though. (((HUGS))

phesina
09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Elyse. I already am a bit tired out. :love::love::love::love::love:

mrspunkysmom
09-28-2014, 01:04 AM
Awesome news :D

phesina
09-28-2014, 05:59 AM
Thank you, Anne!

phesina
09-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Incision was dry today! No leaking onto the bandage overnight!

HALLELUJAH!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-28-2014, 09:06 AM
So great to read all this positive news about you Pat!!
I'm sorry I could'nd reply sooner, we were on a 2-weeks cruise to Spain & Portugal:)

Catty1
09-28-2014, 10:00 AM
YAAY! No leaking! Healing is great!:D

phesina
09-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Lut and Candace!

phesina
09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Incision is still dry.

And I'm walking with a CANE now!!!!!

Karen
09-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Yay! Progress!

cassiesmom
09-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Incision is still dry.

That's the best news I've had all day :)

kaycountrygal
09-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Wonderful that you've graduated to a cane. You go Girl! :)

phesina
09-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Amazing, right! Thank you!

phesina
09-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I even got to walk up and down three steps with the cane!

Grace
09-29-2014, 06:33 PM
I even got to walk up and down three steps with the cane!

You'll be ready for Mt. Everest by next week ;)

Catty1
09-29-2014, 07:30 PM
You'll be ready for Mt. Everest by next week ;)

Look out, Sherpas! Pat's heading your way!:D

kuhio98
09-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Pat ~ We're so thrilled to hear about your progress. Keep up the good work!

phesina
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Thank you, friends!

Randi
09-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you're doing quite well, I'm so glad. Keep it up! :love:

phesina
09-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Thank you, Randi!

This morning the physical therapist had me walk up and down a full set of stairs with the cane.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-02-2014, 02:37 PM
It makes me so happy to see how good you are already!!!:love::love::love:
I hope the pain you had before surgery is all gone now??

phesina
10-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Thank you, Lut!

Yes, the pain I had before the surgery is gone. I can walk around now without limping! I can climb stairs without having to drag myself from one step to the next. I'm using the cane right now, and I'm working hard to keep to the limitations (no bending, no lifting more than 5 lbs., no twisting) set for the rehabilitation period. I really want this to turn out the best it can!

Karen
10-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Thank you, Lut!

Yes, the pain I had before the surgery is gone. I can walk around now without limping! I can climb stairs without having to drag myself from one step to the next. I'm using the cane right now, and I'm working hard to keep to the limitations (no bending, no lifting more than 5 lbs., no twisting) set for the rehabilitation period. I really want this to turn out the best it can!

What goals do you have to accomplish to be allowed to go home?

phesina
10-03-2014, 03:15 PM
They want to be sure I can move about and do what I need to do for my daily routines all right on my own.

On Monday I am going to the UM hospital to have the staples removed, and on Tuesday we have a "home eval" potentially scheduled: a physical therapist and an occupational therapist will come to my place with me to see just what I have to deal with in my regular life at home, how I can handle them now, and what adaptations might have to be made.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-04-2014, 10:26 AM
This is such great news Pat!!! :love:

Pinot's Mom
10-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Keep it up!

phesina
10-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Thank you, Lut and Maggie!

kaycountrygal
10-04-2014, 06:20 PM
You've done remarkably well--wonderful progress in my opinion. I know you'll be glad to be home but don't overdo.

phesina
10-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Thank you, Kay. I'm keeping that in mind, to be VERY careful and not overdo anything. I want this to be a keeper!

mrspunkysmom
10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
They want to be sure I can move about and do what I need to do for my daily routines all right on my own.

On Monday I am going to the UM hospital to have the staples removed, and on Tuesday we have a "home eval" potentially scheduled: a physical therapist and an occupational therapist will come to my place with me to see just what I have to deal with in my regular life at home, how I can handle them now, and what adaptations might have to be made.

Awesome news. Glad you are doing well.

phesina
10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Thank you, Anne. Staples were removed yesterday at the hospital, and all looks well, I'm told.

Today is the home eval visit!

Karen
10-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Good luck with the home visit, I hope it goes perfectly!

phesina
10-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Karen. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

kuhio98
10-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Thank you, Anne. Staples were removed yesterday at the hospital, and all looks well, I'm told.

Today is the home eval visit!

We have all fingers, paws and whiskers crossed up here.

phesina
10-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Home eval visit went well. I'm being discharged next Tuesday!

Karen
10-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Yay! And will the kitties get to come home that day, or will you wait a day just to be sure?

phesina
10-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I will still be restricted for a while.. no bending, no twisting, no lifting over 5 lbs., and no driving. I am working on methods to scoop litter small amounts at a time. Someone will have to take me to get more cat food and litter first. I won't be able to lift a cat for a while, either, once they're home.

Not sure just when I can get the cats back, someone will have to take me to do that too. My sister might help me get the two at the boarding facility.

kuhio98
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Pat ~ I'm so glad everything is going so well. Sleeping in your own bed with your kitties will speed up the healing process. :)

cassiesmom
10-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Yay, yay! This is such good news!

mrspunkysmom
10-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Fantastic News. one step at a time.

phesina
10-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Thank you!

I'm going home tomorrow morning.. Will have home health care for a while.

I'll try and check in here tomorrow morning.. Won't be on line back home right away because I don't have Internet yet in my apartment, and since I won't be able to drive, I don't know how soon I can get to the library.. takes longer on the bus. I'll probably be signing on with comcast soon after I get home, sigh.. Anyway, I'll be back here as soon as I'm able to be.

Karen
10-15-2014, 07:43 PM
I just missed a phone call from Pat - she is home! She has no Internet at home yet, that may happen Friday, we hope it does. She has a home health aide worker coming twice a week, and is hoping to get back up to a normal activity level soon!

We just spoke on the phone, she is not in a lot of pain now, there's a dull ache that reminds her to be careful, and she is walking with - and often without - a cane. So all progress! And in a couple days she will be able to visit two of the kitties - she is not allowed to drive for a couple months yet, but there is a "senior" bus she can take if she books it in advance, and they are near one of her doctor offices that she has to go to anyway! (You are supposed to only use the bus for doctor appointments and shopping ...)

Catty1
10-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Yahoo! This is great news! :D

mbsmum
10-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Great news. All the best Pat.

phesina
10-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi, folks! Thank you very much! I am back home and now another serf in the empire of Comcast.

I have a lot of resting and healing to do yet before I am allowed back to full range of motion. I'm still on limitations of no lifting over 5 lbs., no twisting, no bending, no driving.. until 12-weeks post-surgery, which will be around halfway through December. I will be seeing Dr. Patel (surgeon) again Oct. 30. Maybe, since I've been doing well, he will move up the post-restrictions date?! I hope.

I had my first visits last week from my home-care physical therapist and occupational therapist. PT mainly wants to work on my strength and balance and get me walking more and farther, without the cane before long. OT will help me to get bathroom shower setup safest for me and to see how I can best handle doing laundry (machines are in basement, one floor down from me).

Once I can walk somewhat farther (with or without cane), I will be able to make it over to Trader Joe's, around the corner and down the street just a bit, and to the bus stop, a little farther.

phesina
11-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Thank you, Anne.

I am pretty much walking without the cane now (not as far as Trader Joe's yet, though). The physical therapist wants to get me walking farther in each of her following three visits. Then her work will be done with me.

On Thursday I had my 6-weeks post-surgery appointment with the surgeon. He thinks I am doing really well. They did x-rays, which were fine. He also wants me to walk, more and more.

I'm still to keep with the physical limitations (no bending, twisting, or lifting more than 5 lbs.) until the next time he sees me, 12 weeks post surg. The appointment is set for Dec. 16.

Queen of Poop
11-01-2014, 07:20 PM
So glad you're home and well on the road to full recovery. Cali and Diego send purrrs.

phesina
11-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Thank you, Cali, Diego, and Gayle!

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Sorry I missed some updates...

I am sooooo happy to hear that you are back home!!!:love::love:
You sound very happy with the result of the surgery; that's fantastic!!
I bet you are so glad you had that surgery !?
It was scary, but it's all worth it hey!! :love::love:

kaycountrygal
11-02-2014, 07:56 AM
I am so happy for you that you are back home. No doubt it seems wonderful. Do what the therapists say and slowly but surely you will be better than before. You must be very relieved that the operation is over and that you're making very good progress. No doubt you'll get your cats just as soon as it is feasible and when you're physically able to take care of them. Take care... Kay in NC

Catty1
11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Pat, I am glad things have worked out so well for you. And - new carpet and back on the net! Like a new home!

I hope your furbabies are doing well. You'll see them soon! :):love:

phesina
11-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Thank you, Lut and Kay and Candace.

This morning I walked all the way to Trader Joe's and back!

Randi
11-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I'm so happy for you! You must be relieved that the operation is over and you're making such good progress. Slow but steady! :)

phesina
11-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Thank you, Randi! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: