PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help

Russian Blue
12-18-2002, 10:34 AM
***If you have any friends who are Canadian please email them the online petition to help pass Bill C-10B in the Canadian Senate. The website is located at the end of this post.

This is in response to a kitten named Krista who was set on fire and left to perish. This really struck a cord with me and I would appreciate your help for the sake of the welfare of all animals in Canada.

You can see the original story here:

Krista's Story (http://www.yrng.com/yr/newscentre/richmondhill/story/753261p-891829c.html)

(Toronto – 14 December 2002)

The International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) launched its Krista petition drive today. Named after a six-week-old kitten who died after she was doused in gasoline, set on fire and dumped from a moving car into a snow bank in Richmond Hill three weeks ago, the online petition calls for the Canada federal government to swiftly pass Bill C-10B in its current form.

“This petition is a fantastic way people can concretely contribute to getting this bill,” said Rob Sinclair, IFAW Campaigner. “Canadians have expressed outrage at acts of animal cruelty, and recognize this as a way to deliver their message to those who have the power to change our laws.”

Bill C-10, which modernizes the Criminal Code’s protection of animals from cruelty and proposes reforms to the Firearms Act, passed Third Reading in the House of Commons last month but has been denied swift passage by the Senate. Over 80 per cent of Canadians have consistently said they support the bill.

Krista’s tale renewed the public’s fight for the bill, leading to a deluge of phone calls to both the Canyon Valley Animal Clinic and IFAW offices. Well-wishers made contributions for her care or to the $2,500 reward offered by IFAW for information leading to her killers.

Dozens of Toronto-area residents have pledged almost $20,000 towards the care or reward in the case of Krista. One Toronto resident has offered to double IFAW’s reward, and the town of Richmond Hill has offered a $2,000 reward. While most donations have been from Toronto-area residents, there have been donations from throughout North America.

“The cruelty of Krista’s abusers has been matched by the compassion of those coming to her defense,” said Sinclair. “It restores your faith in human nature to see individuals willing to come forward, willing to do everything from make a donation to call the Senate demanding action on the animal cruelty bill.”

The petition is located at: http://www.ifaw.org/page.asp?id=1598

rosethecopycat
12-18-2002, 10:49 AM
So sorry to here of that poor little baby.

I wish she knew love here on earth. Now she's at the RB, but who is she waiting for? Some other pet must take her and share their human with her.

Surely there is a bad place for those who would do such a thing to an innocent baby.

I wish I could help you Canadians.
Good Luck, may you prevail.

Nomilynn
12-18-2002, 01:40 PM
I signed the petition!

emily_the_spoiled
12-18-2002, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the web link Kassandra. Even though I am an ex-pat Canadian and can not sign it, I have sent it on to many of my friends who still live in there.

I may not be a big proponent of the death penality, but I could be convinced of it for people like that :mad: :mad:

slick
12-19-2002, 07:40 PM
I signed it too!

Slick
New Westminster, BC

12-30-2002, 09:33 PM
I am so sad to hear about this kitten. I just don't understand people. When I hear about abuse cases such as Krista's, it can depress me for weeks. When something like this is done to an animal, there is nothing,not even time, which makes me feel better. I wish I were Canadian so I may participate in your campaign. I hope all good people of Canada respond so people who abuse are sent where they should be.

I regard animals the same if not higher than human beings.
:(

Karen
12-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
So sorry to here of that poor little baby.

I wish she knew love here on earth. Now she's at the RB, but who is she waiting for?

I am sure Krista will be met at the Rainbow Bridge by a little girl who always wanted a kitty, but because of her own sad life, and early death, could not have one. May they be happy together forever more.

Were I Canadian, I would sign.

rg_girlca
12-30-2002, 10:58 PM
I signed the petition, and I can't express enough that something has to be done to these monsters who could do something so horrible to a poor little defenseless animal. I can't even call these monsters human beings.

moosmom
01-01-2003, 08:46 AM
I would also sign the petition if I were a Canadian resident. *sigh* I just don't understand some people. Putting a poor precious innocent animal through something so awful. What has happened to mankind these days??? It depresses the hell out of me.

Miss Meow
01-01-2003, 06:19 PM
That makes me sick. I hope Krista is at peace now. (And I secretly hope some form of revenge falls upon the freak who tortured her :( )