PDA

View Full Version : Overkill? Who, ME?

Lady's Human
09-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Okay, I might have gone a little overkill on the 'mater plants this year.

So far we have 35 quarts canned.

Our dining room table (which is about 8' long) is covered with ripening tomatoes and already canned/pickled veg. I already have a refrigerator drawer and a large bowl full of ripe tomatoes waiting to be canned.

I'm making salsa this morning.

I just went out to pick a peck (roughly 2 gallons) of green tomatoes for picalilli (sweet green tomato/onion relish), and didn't even dent the tomatoes still on the vine in the garden.

Kfamr
09-09-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm jealous, mine all got eaten by caterpillars!

Karen
09-09-2014, 09:57 AM
I'd be jealous, but I am just happy I managed to find a spot to actually get some basil seeds to sprout!

pomtzu
09-09-2014, 10:49 AM
You could always build a little produce stand - set it up by the road and have the kids staff it - for a piece of the profits of course. You could offer the raw veggies, and even some of what has been processed into "whatever".

Lady's Human
09-09-2014, 11:48 AM
With the amount of attempted child abductions around this neck of the woods lately, (2 actually abducted while staffing a small produce stand) that's a non-starter. Besides, most produce stands around here operate on the honor system.

It is, however, a possibility for next year.

The amount of produce just means we'll eat well this winter, without having to buy veg at the grocery store.

It also means someone has to get his tuckus in gear making shelves for canned stuff.

Karen
09-09-2014, 11:57 AM
It also means someone has to get his tuckus in gear making shelves for canned stuff.

Perhaps shelf-building is something Angel's Human could help with? Building skill is always good to pass on! ;)

kuhio98
09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Hmmm, just the thought of fresh tomatoes (I live in Alaska, afterall) is making my stomach growl.

Suggestions: Open an ETSY shop and sell them online. (I get a couple of jars of blackberry preserves and jalapeno's every year from ETSY shops).
Local foodbank? Our's is always looking for those extra canned goods that you don't need.

Lady's Human
09-09-2014, 01:21 PM
The church food bank is already getting roughly 20 quarts of frozen beans, there will be more going to them, don't know what, though.

I'm probably going to just take a box or two of tomatoes up to work and let anyone who wants 'em take them.

smokey the elder
09-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Well good for you! A lot of work, but you know exactly what's in those cans and jars.

Lady's Human
09-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Well good for you! A lot of work, but you know exactly what's in those cans and jars.

Which is the main reason we do it, the second reason being that it's cheaper to grow and can it ourselves than buy it in the store.

We do go to the you-pick orchards for fruit until our trees produce reliably, but everything else is grown here.

cassiesmom
09-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Okay, I might have gone a little overkill on the 'mater plants this year.

So far we have 35 quarts canned.

Our dining room table (which is about 8' long) is covered with ripening tomatoes and already canned/pickled veg. I already have a refrigerator drawer and a large bowl full of ripe tomatoes waiting to be canned.

I'm making salsa this morning.

I just went out to pick a peck (roughly 2 gallons) of green tomatoes for picalilli (sweet green tomato/onion relish), and didn't even dent the tomatoes still on the vine in the garden.

Wowie wow! That sounds amazing!

I was just reading in the newspaper about home-grown vegetables. One of the towns I go through on my way to work has a community garden where you can "grow a row" or a portion of a row to give away to families in need.

Lady's Human
09-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Perhaps shelf-building is something Angel's Human could help with? Building skill is always good to pass on! ;)

The kids follow me into the workshop routinely.

They're both getting to be pretty handy. I'm about to turn Angel's Human loose on changing the oil in the car.

Karen
09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
The kids follow me into the workshop routinely.

They're both getting to be pretty handy. I'm about to turn Angel's Human loose on changing the oil in the car.

Okay, good! :)