PDA

View Full Version : Need to rehome two, I'm afraid..

phesina
09-01-2014, 12:03 PM
All this work is being done in my apartment, recarpeting the floors. The management complained about odors from the cats.

I'm afraid they're going to be watching me like hawks once this is done, to see if they can catch me in anything they can kick me out for.

I hate to see them go.. Poppy and Elmer, because Poppy is able-bodied and Elmer is a greatly adept CHer. But if they do go, I'd like it to be to someone I know would love them and give them the best home ever. As I would continue to do assuming it's possible.

Any potential adopters out there? I'd drive them quite some distance to get there. And give a substantial cash donation.

Thank you very much for any offers, considerations, ideas, and please, PLEASE pray for us all. I'm really scared.

Love from Pat and all :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
09-01-2014, 12:39 PM
You will be in our prayers, I hope you all get to stay together!

Queen of Poop
09-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry I can't help. But I will send up prayers for a positive solution.

Snowflakes
09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
OMG! I sincerely wish and pray you can pass about your ordeal.:love::love::love:

Catty1
09-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Many many prayers gong out to you. Perhaps if they had replaced the carpets when they should have, there would be no smell.

After the carpeting is installed, maybe the 4 could be back with you? I guess you can't afford to move?

Best of luck - I hope a PTr can give these babies a home. :love:

I'll check with my FB contact in your city and see if she knows anyone (I think she has 3 of her own).

cassiesmom
09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
My heart absolutely sank when I saw this. I'm praying that you all can stay together. :love: :love: :love: :love: They took care of the carpeting, which was supposed to have been done a long time ago. Your house was just professionally cleaned. So there should be reason for any offensive odors you're not able to control. Big, big prayers that no one will have to be re-homed.

slick
09-02-2014, 12:29 AM
If only I lived closer, I would take them in a heartbeat!!! :love: Praying for you Pat.
Love slick

pomtzu
09-02-2014, 07:46 AM
I hope that you can find a way to keep your family together, since most people don't want to take on full grown cats, and the kittens go first. We've been trying since April to find homes for my son's girlfriend's 3 cats that are here. The 2 outside kitties aren't a problem, and they seem to enjoy their new big outdoor residence. But then there is the inside only girl (not spayed and momma of Luke, Leia and Harley), who has had to live in the garage. She was finally spayed just last week, so hopefully this will make her more adoptable - tho I have my doubts. Shelters and rescues are full and not accepting any...........:( It's pretty darn discouraging.

phesina
09-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Thank you, dear friends, for the prayers and suggestions and good wishes, and please keep them coming.

I certainly do plan, once the new carpet is down, to keep it all clean. (Seems it took 12 years for them to notice this time.)

There's another factor involved here that I don't want to write about on this public Wifi network (see my post in General, http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?186608-Internet-is-going-bye-bye-It-s-gone-now). PM or e-mail me with a phone number for more.

Slick, maybe I'll drive them to B.C.! (Wonder if they'd need passports.)

Love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

P.S., Again, thanks, thanks, thanks, and please, please, please do keep those prayers and suggestions and good wishes coming!

mrspunkysmom
09-02-2014, 10:48 PM
So sorry to hear this. Wish I lived closer, too.

phesina
09-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Thank you, Anne.

I'm at the library again. I just visited the kitties at the boarding place (http://www.karnik.us/dog-boarding-daycare-ann-arbor-michigan). I've been going every day (except they were closed for visitors Labor Day). Bob is out on a cat bed, and the other three spend a lot of time all cuddled up together in the back of the carrier. I sat in their little cubicle, Bob came over, got on my lap. Today he wanted to explore further, so he roamed around outside the cubicle for a while. Meanwhile I was reaching into the carrier petting all the others.

New carpeting is being put in the bedroom right now. The maintenance guys will put my bed and dresser back in there. Then I'll move as much as I can back to the bedroom from the living room, plus what living room stuff I can. I have professional movers coming tomorrow to move the big things into the bedroom. I hope they will be able to leave some access to the bed for me and not have to tip it up on its side or something.

Then Friday the livingroom carpet will be torn out and the floor treated.

Monday morning they put in the new living room carpet.

Then I move as much stuff from the bedroom back to the living room as I can.

Tuesday afternoon the movers come to move the rest of the livingroom stuff back.

Wednesday the cats can come home.

That's the schedule at this point.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
09-03-2014, 10:50 AM
And then the problem is needing to find a home for two cats. I'm very afraid they'll think I might have more than I should.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
09-03-2014, 11:27 AM
What leads you to think that THEY think you have more than 2?

Maybe bring 2 home and board the other two for a couple of more weeks?

I still have to contact my friend on FB. I'll do that right now. :love:

jenluckenbach
09-03-2014, 06:53 PM
I have not kept up with all the news, so lets just start with thoughts and prayers for you, Pat.

I am assuming you rent and are allowed only 2 cats in your lease??

This "solution" I am about to suggest is not for everyone. But I did this back when I had a cat sick with intestinal cancer and a bad case of runny diarrhea... I covered the carpet with a plastic painting tarp. Using the furniture to hold it in place. And I also did a wall to wall installation of the tarps in 2 rooms. I also use the clear plastic runners with the tiny nubs on the underside, in front of & under litter boxes. Throw carpets or area rugs can also be used to keep the wear down on the carpeting.

I was lucking in the fact that I did not need to cover the living room carpet, and all the accidents kept happening in the upstairs bedrooms. But I do use the clear runners in the LV and kitchen. But maybe you could find a nice large area rug for your largest room just to keep the most traveled areas cleaner.

What ever happens, I wish you the best.

phesina
09-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Now there is a place for the two to go.. a WONDERFUL place! An amazing woman named Jeanne Spencer started and runs Kat Snips (http://www.katsnips.org/), an organization funding low-cost spays and neuters in Washtenaw (this one), Lenawee, and Jackson counties. They also have a couple of rescue shelters and do adoptions. Since they started in 2010, I have donated a lot of items for their fund-raising events such as rummage sales and silent auctions.

They will take two of my cats, which means the cats will either be adopted to really good, nice people or else will live their lives out there safe and well loved and cared for.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I have not kept up with all the news, so lets just start with thoughts and prayers for you, Pat.

I am assuming you rent and are allowed only 2 cats in your lease??

This "solution" I am about to suggest is not for everyone. But I did this back when I had a cat sick with intestinal cancer and a bad case of runny diarrhea... I covered the carpet with a plastic painting tarp. Using the furniture to hold it in place. And I also did a wall to wall installation of the tarps in 2 rooms. I also use the clear plastic runners with the tiny nubs on the underside, in front of & under litter boxes. Throw carpets or area rugs can also be used to keep the wear down on the carpeting.

I was lucking in the fact that I did not need to cover the living room carpet, and all the accidents kept happening in the upstairs bedrooms. But I do use the clear runners in the LV and kitchen. But maybe you could find a nice large area rug for your largest room just to keep the most traveled areas cleaner.

What ever happens, I wish you the best.

Thanks, Jen... You're right there. Great idea about covering the carpet with plastic painting tarp. I got a couple of big plastic sheets and a few carpet squares to put down. I hope to avoid future little accidental problems.. and anything that does, say, leak out, to catch right away and clean up right away.

And thanks for the good wishes, too!

phesina
09-04-2014, 01:34 PM
What leads you to think that THEY think you have more than 2?

Maybe bring 2 home and board the other two for a couple of more weeks?

I still have to contact my friend on FB. I'll do that right now. :love:

Thanks, Candace. Why might they think I have more than allowed? At this point I'm afraid to take the risk. If I lose this place, I'd have a really hard time finding another, particularly one that doesn't have pet limitations.

Since I am going for back surgery in less than two weeks, I will have limited ability to control the condition of the apartment. I'll be in the hospital 4 days (assuming all goes as planned), then rehab for however long that takes, days? weeks?, so I won't be around at all during that time. And then when I do come home I'll be limited in motion for quite a while.

My sister and her partner will be coming over to take care of the cats but can't spend much time.

The management people can walk in and look around any time they want. City ordinance allows this (I checked it), requiring only that they make a "good faith effort" to notify the tenant, like: knocking on the door (really!). They knock... no answer.. "Oh, darn, no one's home! Well, we tried!"

The ownership of the apartment complex changed a couple of years ago. Since then they have gone through something like five managers in less than a year. The one who'd been in that position for several years up till then, who did a fine job and was well liked and respected by us all, was fired because he was "too nice." The newest one, who started about two weeks ago, has already made it clear she is a biatch and a bully. She started on me last Saturday when I showed her my doctor's note about my physical limitations that "the onus is on you" to fix this up immediately.

I'll be interested to learn if your FB friend has any ideas. Thanks, Candace!

Catty1
09-04-2014, 01:50 PM
OK I contacted that lady, Kim. She will check with co-workers.

Her only concern is that if someone lives a bit outside the city, will the cats be transported? I am sure you would drive them, but not during your surgery recovery!

This is the woman I contacted you about several months back regarding her job search. Do you still have her email addy?

Cheers
Candace

momcat
09-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Oh Pat, I'm so sorry to hear about this! As for that new manager, she definitely needs an attitude adjustment. I can't comprehend someone being fired because they're "too nice" to the tenants. My prayers that you and your family can stay together.

phesina
09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
OK I contacted that lady, Kim. She will check with co-workers.

Her only concern is that if someone lives a bit outside the city, will the cats be transported? I am sure you would drive them, but not during your surgery recovery!

This is the woman I contacted you about several months back regarding her job search. Do you still have her email addy?

Cheers
Candace

Thanks, Candace. I remember her.. We exchanged a few e-mails, and at one point we were going to get together at Denny's. Then she had to bow out at the last minute, and I never heard back after I asked her to let me know some other time(s) that might work for her. As I told her then, and I'll say it again, it's always nice to meet another Ann Arbor cat lady!

I would transport them, if it's before the surgery of course! Did you tell her that one of the cats, Elmer, is a CH boy and would need to be in a controlled environment.. all on one floor, as he can't do stairs.. well, he'd probably try them but he'd easily fall down them. Same with any place or thing he could fall from. And he could NOT go out unless supervised or in something like a catio (outdoor enclosed space for cats).

I think they will probably be going to Jeanne's group. They are all good people. In fact, my sister's kitty Alan M. Hill was adopted from them.. so they are in effect part of the family already!

Pat

snakemama
09-05-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening. :( I would offer to foster them if there was any feasible way to get them to me.

phesina
09-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Oh Pat, I'm so sorry to hear about this! As for that new manager, she definitely needs an attitude adjustment. I can't comprehend someone being fired because they're "too nice" to the tenants. My prayers that you and your family can stay together.

Thank you so much, Eileen. Yeah, that new manager is another prize on their part. Hope she doesn't last long either. I think they want to be hard-a$$ and get rid of long-term tenants so they can cash in big on students.. especially since the University admitted more freshmen than they have dorm space available for (OOPS! We goofed! <blush!>) !!!

And thank you for the prayers, from the cats and me. The only way we could stay together is if I found another place where I could have that many and not be under threat of eviction.

I'm going to see if I can get the surgery rescheduled for a week or two later.. (longer than that and my recuperation will likely go into the winter, and I can't risk that, especially if the winter is as bad as it was last year). The surgeon's assistant doesn't work Fridays, so I left her a message. I don't want to attempt to deal with the general line and whoever might answer that or if I have to leave a message there.

Today the old carpet is being removed from the living room and the floor painted with sealer gunk (protect from cat pee, right?). I will be crashing on my sister's couch tonight. Possibly tomorrow but probably Monday the new carpet will be put in. And then the movers come back to move the stuff back from the bedroom to the living room on Tuesday (hopefully fixing the table legs that broke off when they lifted the table to move it yesterday). And then I have to try and find everything and where it was packed and begin to try and put the place back to some reasonable order.

And then the cats can come home Wednesday. Assuming it's not too crazy still. And looks like just Bob and Sparkler, so they'd not only have to get used to completely new smells in the place and finding their way around whatever disorder still exists, which will be quite a bit. AND get used to their other two roomies being gone. Not that they were all that close with them, but still they're used to them being around in familiar surroundings.

And then they have to get used to ME not being around from the following Monday through I don't know how long but I'm betting nearly a month if not more.

That is the most important reason I want to postpone the surgery.

phesina
09-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm so sorry this is happening. :( I would offer to foster them if there was any feasible way to get them to me.

Oh, thank you so much! Now I'm wondering.. could I somehow get them to L.A. ...

Catty1
09-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Or even Vancouver, Canada, since Slick offered to take them...I think your city is midway between the two in terms of distance.

mrspunkysmom
09-05-2014, 10:02 PM

The management people can walk in and look around any time they want. City ordinance allows this (I checked it), requiring only that they make a "good faith effort" to notify the tenant, like: knocking on the door (really!). They knock... no answer.. "Oh, darn, no one's home! Well, we tried!"

:love::

Gee even in SC we get a 24 hour notice.

You probably have a cheaper rent since you've been a tenant a while. by kicking you out, they can up the rent again for the new tenants. And not pay you any deposit back. Sigh

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Oops, I only just noticed this thread 5 minutes ago..... ! Sorry!!

My dearest Phesina, i am so sorry for all the troubles you're having with your landlord...! I feel so sorry for you because you have to rehome your dear kitties you love so dearly.... !
I wish I could do more than replying here... .
Coping with your physical needs, the surgery, you really do not deserve all these other problems.... .
Accepting and living with your health problems is already more than enough to cope with!
All I can do right now is praying that the perfect solution will be knocking on your door asap, and also for you that the surgery will go perfect:)

I hope you understand my message here, my English is letting me down a bit.....:( ; :o

I am sure that all pettalkers and I are wishing you all the best.
You deserve nothing less sweetheart :love::love::love:

:love: Lut & the Gabriels Girls :love:

ps. Is there someone who will keep us informed with how your doing? Will you have access to a computer while recovering? Can we reach you in any way?

Pinot's Mom
09-06-2014, 08:59 AM
I, too, just found this thread. Pat, my heart goes out to you and your kitties. I hope it works out and please do keep us posted if possible.

phesina
09-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Or even Vancouver, Canada, since Slick offered to take them...I think your city is midway between the two in terms of distance.

Oh, I was thinking of Vancouver first (see post #9).. I'd love for Slick to have them, just need to figure out how to get them there!

phesina
09-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Gee even in SC we get a 24 hour notice.

You probably have a cheaper rent since you've been a tenant a while. by kicking you out, they can up the rent again for the new tenants. And not pay you any deposit back. Sigh

Here ya go: https://library.municode.com/HTML/11782/level2/TITVIIIBURE_CH105HOCO.html#TITVIIIBURE_CH105HOCO_8 _529PR

Oh, yes, any time anyone moves out, they raise the rent substantially for the new renters.

These apartment are safe, reasonably maintained, and conveniently located, so they are in big demand. Especially since the owners have started marketing them directly to students.

:love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
09-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Oops, I only just noticed this thread 5 minutes ago..... ! Sorry!!

My dearest Phesina, i am so sorry for all the troubles you're having with your landlord...! I feel so sorry for you because you have to rehome your dear kitties you love so dearly.... !
I wish I could do more than replying here... .
Coping with your physical needs, the surgery, you really do not deserve all these other problems.... .
Accepting and living with your health problems is already more than enough to cope with!
All I can do right now is praying that the perfect solution will be knocking on your door asap, and also for you that the surgery will go perfect:)

I hope you understand my message here, my English is letting me down a bit.....:( ; :o

I am sure that all pettalkers and I are wishing you all the best.
You deserve nothing less sweetheart :love::love::love:

:love: Lut & the Gabriels Girls :love:

ps. Is there someone who will keep us informed with how your doing? Will you have access to a computer while recovering? Can we reach you in any way?

Dear Lut, thank you so very much for your sweet message and good, kind wishes. Yes, what frustration that all these things are happening at the same time!

Still, I have to realize how lucky I am that this with the cats didn't happen back when I had seven cats in the apartment, including the two old ladies Lavinia and Poppaea...
and that it wasn't going to happen until after I was already in the hospital and then rehab!

Speaking of which, I plan to have my laptop with me, during the four days in the hospital if allowed and I'm able for it there, and definitely in the rehab place.

It is very important to me and means a whole lot, my communication with all my dear friends (of all species) of Pet Talk.

Love :love::love: from us all

phesina
09-06-2014, 01:31 PM
I, too, just found this thread. Pat, my heart goes out to you and your kitties. I hope it works out and please do keep us posted if possible.

Thank you so much, Maggie. And I will keep you all posted as much as I'm able.

phesina
09-06-2014, 02:01 PM
If only I lived closer, I would take them in a heartbeat!!! :love: Praying for you Pat.
Love slick

Dear Slick, might you really take them if I could somehow get them to you?

If so, I will see if I can find anything out about any long-distance, international cat transporters. It seems to me I did hear about something like that at one point not all that long ago, though I don't know if they cross national borders.

Wish I could make the trip myself!

Catty1
09-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Pat, you might post a request in Rescue; I think some people there know about transports.

Catty1
09-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Pat, Best Friends has a list: http://bestfriends.org/Resources/Resources-for-Rescuers/Help-for-Individuals/Animal-Transport-Resources/

http://www.animalrescuetransfersystem.org/

http://www.farec.org/transport.htm

http://www.ipata.org/

Perhaps if you could get them as far as Oregon or Washington State, a PTr could drive them into Vancouver.

phesina
09-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Thank you for the links, Candace. I will take a look at these later when I have a little more time. Hopefully this afternoon when the libraries are open. I'm at Arborland Starbucks now, and want to go visit the kitties at the boarding place.

I'd wondered about that, if I could get them to say, Seattle, maybe they could get to Vancouver from there, or perhaps I could get them to Windsor if there's some kind of trans-Canada transport available.

Karen
09-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Thank you for the links, Candace. I will take a look at these later when I have a little more time. Hopefully this afternoon when the libraries are open. I'm at Arborland Starbucks now, and want to go visit the kitties at the boarding place.

I'd wondered about that, if I could get them to say, Seattle, maybe they could get to Vancouver from there, or perhaps I could get them to Windsor if there's some kind of trans-Canada transport available.

Maybe contact the Trans=Canada Railroad, and ask them if they could take the kitties!

Catty1
09-07-2014, 12:17 PM
There is a PTr in Eugene Oregon. But she'd have to have some gas and food money, I think. I'll put a bug in her ear.

emily_the_spoiled lives in Washington State or DC?

catmandu
09-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I wish we could sneak them across the border, but we are too full at the Hotel now.That is so sad that Elmer and Pooppy will have to move, but I am sure that things will work themselves out and we are all praying for you.:love::love::love:

Pinot's Mom
09-07-2014, 01:32 PM
There is a PTr in Eugene Oregon. But she'd have to have some gas and food money, I think. I'll put a bug in her ear.

emily_the_spoiled lives in Washington State or DC?

Emily the spoiled is East - DC area.

Catty1
09-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Ok, wasn't sure which W it was!

We have two railways in Canada - Canadian National (CN) and Canadian Pacific (CP). Any connections they have into the USA would be on a partner rail line.

I've left a note with DJ Fyrewolf. Will let you know.

It's 7 hours from Eugene to Vancouver. Any PTrs live north of there?

phesina
09-07-2014, 03:22 PM
I think this would cost a lot of money.. which I don't have, sigh...

phesina
09-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Ok, wasn't sure which W it was!

We have two railways in Canada - Canadian National (CN) and Canadian Pacific (CP). Any connections they have into the USA would be on a partner rail line.

I've left a note with DJ Fyrewolf. Will let you know.

It's 7 hours from Eugene to Vancouver. Any PTrs live north of there?

Windsor wouldn't really work, I don't think.. it is WAY south in Canada. Thanks for the railway suggestions, Candace.

phesina
09-07-2014, 03:32 PM
I wish we could sneak them across the border, but we are too full at the Hotel now.That is so sad that Elmer and Pooppy will have to move, but I am sure that things will work themselves out and we are all praying for you.:love::love::love:

Thank you for good wishes and prayers, Gary and kitties. :love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
09-07-2014, 03:35 PM
It'll work out somehow, Pat. I actually don't think the railways would work well.

I do wonder if we have PTrs in south Ontario that might take them?

Something will work out!

phesina
09-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Thank you, Candace! Love ya. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
09-07-2014, 07:30 PM
DJ Fyrewolf could get them to Seattle.

She is also willing to be a rest stop for anyone who might be transporting them.

Pat - maybe PM Slick and double check on her taking them.

I don't have much money right now - a few PTrs could chip in, GoFundMe is possible.

But let's wait and see if Slick wants the babies. :)

phesina
09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I just sent Slick a PM.

Cataholic
09-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Pat- I think you are panicking without cause right now. *If* nothing has yet been said about the number of pets you have, and *if* there IS no limit, I wouldn't do a thing until required to do so. I represent landlords. They want "good", paying tenants. Frankly, a place mixed with young college kids AND mature, responsible tenants isn't any landlords dream mix.

You sound very panicked (not judging you, just relaying how it sounds), and are very reactionary right now. To think of re-homing pets without being told to seems drastic. :(

slick
09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/cats/rabies-free/eng/1364954808466/1364954913271

Information on importing cats from the States.
Pat: I'm a little behind on things here and don't fully understand what's going on. I can only make assumptions. I have absolutely no experience with CH kitties and I've never been in contact with one so I'm not sure if I am the right home.
Thoughts anyone?

cassiesmom
09-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Pat- I think you are panicking without cause right now. *If* nothing has yet been said about the number of pets you have, and *if* there IS no limit, I wouldn't do a thing until required to do so. I represent landlords. They want "good", paying tenants. Frankly, a place mixed with young college kids AND mature, responsible tenants isn't any landlords dream mix.

You sound very panicked (not judging you, just relaying how it sounds), and are very reactionary right now. To think of re-homing pets without being told to seems drastic. :(

Agree, agree, agree!

phesina
09-08-2014, 04:22 PM
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/cats/rabies-free/eng/1364954808466/1364954913271

Information on importing cats from the States.
Pat: I'm a little behind on things here and don't fully understand what's going on. I can only make assumptions. I have absolutely no experience with CH kitties and I've never been in contact with one so I'm not sure if I am the right home.
Thoughts anyone?

Thank you for the link with the importing information, Slick. I just sent you a PM with regard to the rest.

phesina
09-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Thank you, Cataholic and Elyse. Yes, I do know I'm panicked here, and I do know I have that tendency.

But yes there IS a limit, two pets at most, and I am facing major surgery which will have me out of commission for quite a while, with this going on.

Yes, I've been a good, paying, dependable, non-pesky tenant for the 12 years I've been there. And they are marketing heavily to students right now, especially grad students and foreigners. I think they're looking at the fast-buck aspect, not the long haul.

Today I took Poppy and Elmer to the Happy Hearts Feline Rescue out in Grass Lake, MI. They can stay there for whatever time they and I need, until I either find a place I can have all four or else decide they should be adopted out. My sister and I have given them quite substantial donations.

And Bob and Sparkler will probably keep boarding at Karnik until I'm home and able to care for them again myself. My sister told me today she doesn't think she can handle caring for them, what with her job and all her other responsibilities.

The surgeon's assistant told me today that if I don't want to do Sept. 15, the soonest they could reschedule me is Oct. 29. That would make a lot of my rehab in the winter, which is out as far as I'm concerned. So I either go in next Monday (and come back when?), or else put it off until next March or so.

Thanks, folks, for your thoughts.

Pat :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
09-08-2014, 04:52 PM
You will be in our prayers.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Don't you just hate it when your life gets turned all upside down?:love:
Prayers still on the way from me too!!! :love:

DJFyrewolf36
09-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Sending you good thoughts and prayers! I know what it's like to deal with landlords who have no intention of being nice...*sigh*

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help out on this adventure, please let me know. :love:

phesina
09-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks so much for the prayers and good wishes and all, Karen and MoFF and DJFyrewolf36.

I feel so guilty leaving Poppy and Elmer out there.. they'll mostly be in a cage. And once again their world has gone topsy-turvy.

I don't know what else to do, though. And I know they will be well cared for and loved and safe out there. I'm lucky that they have that space available to go to.

Cataholic
09-09-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't know what else to do, though. And I know they will be well cared for and loved and safe out there. I'm lucky that they have that space available to go to.

Pat- they could have stayed right there with you. :( To know that your cats are in a cage is terrible. To know that they are there for no real reason is worse.

If the cats peeing on everything was the cause of the LL ire, ONE cat is too many.

The cats should have stayed right where they were until there was a legitimate reason to re-home them.

And, for all the people that will jump down my throat because I am being "mean"...THIS is one of two reasons that I left PT for all intents and purposes. Pets are not disposable.

This has seriously bummed me out. Your poor PETS.

Karen
09-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Pat- they could have stayed right there with you. :( To know that your cats are in a cage is terrible. To know that they are there for no real reason is worse.

If the cats peeing on everything was the cause of the LL ire, ONE cat is too many.

The cats should have stayed right where they were until there was a legitimate reason to re-home them.

And, for all the people that will jump down my throat because I am being "mean"...THIS is one of two reasons that I left PT for all intents and purposes. Pets are not disposable.

She has not disposed of them! She is going in for major Sir Jury in a few days, and will be out of commission for an undetermined period of time! And the cats were all boarded while workmen came and replaced all the carpet - not something Pat had scheduled for! She still loves all 4 kitties, I promise! And hopes they can all be back together on the other side of all this upheaval, I know!

Cataholic
09-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Dear People Pleaser- having the ability to READ what has been posted confirms that she intends to GET RID of two cats for NO reason. (except the very late developing, "two cat max" reason).

Quite a difference between boarding cats temporarily while carpet/workers in and out and getting RID of two cats.

Animals cannot speak. They have no voice. To read on a "pet board" this type of thing is beyond comprehension. How terribly sad. I am not out to win a popularity contest, but I am sure not going to sit back and pretend this is OK.

Stop with the Polly-anna nonsense.

katladyd
09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I worked for many years for a law office where one of their specialties was Landlord/Tenant law. If you are caught with more than the allowed # of pets, they can't legally kick you out right then and there, especially if you are having health concerns at the time. What they can/will do is give you 30-90 days to get rid of the extra animals or pay extra for them being there. They can't legally give you a few days to move out. If you have the right attorney you can buy yourself a year or more. If you are a good paying tenant who gives them no troble, it is NOT up to the apartment manager to kick you out, it is up to the owner of the building, and they rarely, if ever, evict people for the pet issue, unless you have over 10 cats ro so. Don't get paranoid. Board your kitties until you are back on your feet and then get them ALL back with you. The issue will be yesterday's news by then and no one will even care. I was caught with too many animals and I lived where I lived for almost 2 years without much hassle because I knew the law. Please don't put your pets through this because of a fear that isn't grounded anywhere near reality.

phesina
09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
I can't care for them while I am in the hospital and then in rehab, and there is no one else available to do it. so they have to be somewhere else during this time.

I will get in touch with Legal Aid and the law students' clinic to find out just what the law is in Michigan regarding tenants and pets. If it is as you say, katladyd, I will get them all back as soon as I'm able to care for them myself again.

This was not a 'late developing, "two cat max" reason.' This has been the primary reason for all this. And I'm heartbroken about the idea of losing the two, but I feel quite powerless. If necessary, I hope to find another place to live where I can have them all, but I'm in no position to look just now.

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-10-2014, 12:07 PM

I am a bit shocked by this quote.... . Really, this is exactly something that Elaine does NOT need right now....

momoffuzzyfaces
09-10-2014, 03:39 PM
To all who have never been in the situation where you are alone and have no help close by; count your blessings. I well know the feelings of panic and even terror at the thought of not being able to take care of your dear pets. Right now, they are where they are being taken care of . The ideal situation would be they would be home with phesina but they are safe and the rest will work itself out after she is back on her feet. No one was trying to be heartless or cruel to them. They were trying to do what was best for all concerned. I would have to do something similar with my cats should I ever need to go into the hospital. :love:

lizbud
09-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Cataholic. I believe that you have misjudged Phesina and the situation she finds herself in right now. While I don't think you mean to
be mean, your comments sound very insensitive & unhelpful. With all that's going on in her life right now, she's doing the very best she can.

momcat
09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Cataholic, Pat is not in this situation by choice and her heart is broken over her kitties that she loves with all her heart. Facing major surgery and other events going on for her considered, she made the only decision she could to make sure her beloved kitties are safe and well cared for. When I was put in the hospital over the holidays, my son was here to care for and look after Amigo. In that respect I consider myself fortunate but at the same time realize not all pet owners have this kind of back-up readily available. If we were closer, I'd go over there and care for the kitties myself while Pat recovers but getting to Ann Arbor from Trenton is clearly not possible. My heart is broken for Pat because I feel helpless to do anything for her. Right now she needs the support and encouragement of her friends, not more stress.

Litterati
09-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I usually don't chime in unless I am fully aware of situation, but in this case 100% agree with above posters re Cataholic's comments. No one is being Pollyanna-ish, but Phesina has quite a lot to deal with facing major surgery and recovery period without anyone adding to it by adding guilt into the mix. Many peeps do not have friends/family close by who can or are willing to drop everything and look after us and/or our pets. Phesina is doing the best that she can and has my "virtual" support and blessings which are all that I can provide .

Cataholic
09-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Can't people read?

The point I raised has nothing to do with a temporary fostering because of surgery. Nothing at all. But, is as typical here, people read the drama, and forget about the most important issue- the pets. There is no reason to rehome any of her pets. Not until the last moment did she chime in that there was a two pet max. She even wrote that she didn't know, and feared to ask. This hasn't been an issue for 12 years. Now all of a sudden it is an issue.

I would presume it is so because everyone wants that free pass themselves when they dump their own animals. That is sad. That is wrong. And THAT is my concern. People have surgery all the time. How about thinking of the cats and THEIR stress? To live in a cage? Really?

I don't give a rat's butt what people think of me for expressing my opinion. I am thinking of the cats. Not a single one of you are.

Catty1
09-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Okay, so now we all know there is a two-pet maximum where Pat lives.

Once the new carpets are in, and since the managers there change so often, perhaps Pat can wait until there is an issue, if there ever is.

IF - IF - there is, she has a history as a good tenant which she can point out. Plus, she can offer to pay a pet damage deposit for the two extra cats (GoFundMe, here we come!;))

With major surgery coming up, anyone might be more prone to acting out of fear. Having a major event at home - moving furniture, replacing carpets - is enough of an upheaval all by itself.

At this point, Pat, I truly wish you all the very best with your surgery. With the cats, everything will work out the way it is supposed to. HUGS. :love:

Cataholic
09-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Once the new carpets are in, and since the managers there change so often, perhaps Pat can wait until there is an issue, if there ever is.

IF - IF - there is, she has a history as a good tenant which she can point out. Plus, she can offer to pay a pet damage deposit for the two extra cats (GoFundMe, here we come!;))

With major surgery coming up, anyone might be more prone to acting out of fear. Having a major event at home - moving furniture, replacing carpets - is enough of an upheaval all by itself.

At this point, Pat, I truly wish you all the very best with your surgery. With the cats, everything will work out the way it is supposed to. HUGS. :love:

Absolutely. Totally and completely agree with you.

lizbud
09-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Can't people read?

The point I raised has nothing to do with a temporary fostering because of surgery. Nothing at all. But, is as typical here, people read the drama, and forget about the most important issue- the pets. There is no reason to rehome any of her pets. Not until the last moment did she chime in that there was a two pet max. She even wrote that she didn't know, and feared to ask. This hasn't been an issue for 12 years. Now all of a sudden it is an issue.

I would presume it is so because everyone wants that free pass themselves when they dump their own animals. That is sad. That is wrong. And THAT is my concern. People have surgery all the time. How about thinking of the cats and THEIR stress? To live in a cage? Really?

I don't give a rat's butt what people think of me for expressing my opinion. I am thinking of the cats. Not a single one of you are.

Prior thread.........
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?186546-NEW-Scary-news-from-the-home-front-(see-post-25)

Catty1
09-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Please, folks, let's just leave it where is it in THIS thread, ok?

Cataholic
09-11-2014, 12:22 PM
You tell me, Liz:

Thanks, Candace. Why might they think I have more than allowed? At this point I'm afraid to take the risk. If I lose this place, I'd have a really hard time finding another, particularly one that doesn't have pet limitations.

AND this:

And then the problem is needing to find a home for two cats. I'm very afraid they'll think I might have more than I should.

PLus the fact she had SEVEN in there at one time?

Which set of "facts" is one to believe? I stick by my opinion. They aren't my cats. But, I can still care about their welfare.

cassiesmom
09-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I am thinking of phesina AND her cats. I wish I could have the two of them here with me, but that is not an option right now. I also wish I could help phesina more while she is recovering from her surgery, but I am 250 miles away from her in Chicago. I have a 2-pet maximum in my building, too. I know there are people in my building who are over the maximum, but that's none of my business. In the meantime phesina's cats are safe.

Cataholic
09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
cassiesmom- I get that. And, I do understand about pet minimums. And, her cats are "safe". But they will be living in a cage. For no reason.

What gets me is that I fight every single day to keep pets IN homes, I do transport, rescue, donate, educate, etc., to make things better for animals at true risk. At true risk. That was not what was going on here. To know there are people on a pet board that can't see through their own selfish and personal drama, and care more about pleasing others than they do about the welfare of another living being that THEY are responsible for, peeves me to no end.

I expect to fight this silly nonsense in the general public. I don't expect to fight it on a pet board. But, as I said earlier, I left PT partly because it simply doesn't line up with my own personal mission about responsible pet ownership. That is my mission, my business. Cute pictures of pets are wonderful. Funny antics are wonderful. Pet dumping is not.

But, until we stop killing healthy animals every.single.day I will fight the fight. Hate me for it all you want. Call me mean, unsympathetic, guilt inducing, making people feel bad- I don't care. I am not doing this for the people. I am doing this for the animals.

lizbud
09-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Hate me for it all you want. Call me mean, unsympathetic, guilt inducing, making people feel bad- I don't care. I am not doing this for the people. I am doing this for the animals.

Let's you & I just agree to disagree here & leave it at that. Love ya bunches.:love::love: Liz.

Cataholic
09-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Liz- we agree to disagree. It is all good between us. ;)

Karen
09-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Remember folks, we are all here because we love our pets. That means we have more in common than the rest of the world, and should treated each with respect.

phesina
09-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks, Candace.

There's no extra damage deposit possibility for the extra cats, sigh.. Extra cats are not allowed, period. I would pay any amount in a minute if it would make a difference.

Catty1
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks, Candace.

There's no extra damage deposit possibility for the extra cats, sigh.. Extra cats are not allowed, period. I would pay any amount in a minute if it would make a difference.

Don't worry about it for now. :):love: Unless it's a municipal bylaw where you live, there are always petitions! ;):D

Scooter's Mom
09-12-2014, 11:13 PM
I just wanted to say good luck with your surgery. I will be keeping you - and your kitties - in my thoughts and prayers.

phesina
09-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Thank you, Scooter's Mom! I will see if or how I can get word out how it went, after.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

mbsmum
09-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Good luck Pat with your surgery.

phesina
09-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Thank you, mbsmum! :love::love::love::love::love::love: