PDA

View Full Version : is warm milk safe for cats?

stephani33
08-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Is warm milk safe for cats?

mrspunkysmom
08-31-2014, 02:49 AM
See the following article

http://blog.sfgate.com/pets/2009/12/09/pet-myths-is-cows-milk-good-for-cats/

A brief summary: Cow's milk is not unsafe, cold or warm, but is not recommended as a major part of their diet. A lot of cats can be lactose intolerant. I have personal experience with this. My cats get water and plenty of grain-free and lactose-free food.

Expensive? Yes, but the result many fewer trips to the vet, longer-lived cats, and less stress for you.

If it's a kitten, the kitten needs mother's milk from the queen, or a milk substitute such as KMR (essentially a kitten formula). Get the powdered stuff and mix using room temperature water. You won't need much for each feeding.

Freedom
08-31-2014, 08:50 AM
As Anne explained, cats will get diarhhea from cow's milk, due to them being lactose intolerant.

I also am lactose intolarant, so I buy Lactaid milk, which is fine for cats.

Jessika
08-31-2014, 08:12 PM
A lick or two here or there probably won't cause any problems, but I would recommend against serving an entire bowl or serving it on a regular basis.

Cow's milk isn't even meant for humans to drink lol.

snakemama
09-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Since I foster so many kittens, my adult cats wind up getting leftover kitten milk, KMR (not regular cow's milk) from time to time. I don't give a lot because it is SUPER high fat, but they really like it. :)

catmandu
09-03-2014, 09:37 AM
And yet my Dear Mother always gave our Cats milk , there was no milk replacement that many yeras ago and they loved it and The Found Hotel Cats do too!!!:love::love: