PDA

View Full Version : Introducing our wild friend Kini

Karen
08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
As you all know, we put out birdseed for the birds, but as I scatter it on the ground, we also get chipmunk, squirrels, and the occasional wild bunny. This spring and summer, Brownie, an adult has often come by, but in the last month, this little guy started coming by. He has nearly doubled in size in the past month, he is still little bunny. He is less skittish than Brownie, and was actually relaxing outside our door this afternoon. Usually the bunnies only come by dawn and dusk, as rabbits are crepuscular, so the light is bad for pictures. But this afternoon Kini bunny (baby rabbit are called "kittens" or "kits" so his name became Kini) was relaxing - Miss Hoppy taught us that the back legs to the side like you see here is a very relaxed bunny! He is still very wild, and will run at the slightest noise, so it was a rare treat to have him here in daylight so I could get a picture to show him to you!

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=58568&d=1409256795

cassiesmom
08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Awww, hello, Kini bunny! How sweet that you came to get an afternoon snack and relax! :D

pomtzu
08-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Hi there cute Kini. If you play your cards right, you just might find that Miss Karen knows a lot about what bunnies love to eat. You'll never go hungry at her door, believe me ! :love::D

phesina
08-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Hello, hello, Kini bunny! Oh, how cute you are!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
08-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi there cute Kini. If you play your cards right, you just might find that Miss Karen knows a lot about what bunnies love to eat. You'll never go hungry at her door, believe me ! :love::D

Well, he has gotten to indulge in some fresh corn ... every few days I'll buy an ear while it is cheap and in season to put out - Brownie used to sit and eat it for a while, and Kini has done so a few times, but now one of the squirrels (who does it usually when I am not looking) has waited a day or so until enough of it has been eaten so it is light enough, and then carries it away!

Litterati
08-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Kini is adorable, his colouring looks to be perfectly designed for camouflage amongst tree bark and he looks so silky soft. Does he let you pet him, or is he too wild for this?

Freedom
08-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Still a LITTLE bunny? He looks quite long, all stretched out and relaxed. So glad you got a photo! :love:

Karen
08-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Still a LITTLE bunny? He looks quite long, all stretched out and relaxed. So glad you got a photo! :love:

It is deceiving, he still is very little compared to Brownie - about half the size of an adult.

Kini is adorable, his colouring looks to be perfectly designed for camouflage amongst tree bark and he looks so silky soft. Does he let you pet him, or is he too wild for this?

He is much, much too wild for that! And it is good he is wary, as not every human would have kind intentions! His color is perfect cammo for the dirt under the tree - it is very hard to see him there at all!

slick
08-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Bunnies know where to go! Hate to say it but you, too, have a Welcome sign on your door step. What a sweet baby!:love:

Karen
08-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Bunnies know where to go! Hate to say it but you, too, have a Welcome sign on your door step. What a sweet baby!:love:

Oh, slick, I have a welcome sign on my forehead - always have, born with it! And apparently it is neon, and animals can see it through a crowd! :) And I wouldn't have it any other way.

chocolatepuppy
08-29-2014, 05:22 AM
I used to have bunnies come around here. I could get sort of close to them. I would leave some food for them.
I bet you look forward to seeing them everyday!:)

Randi
08-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Karen, you have been adopted! :D I bet Kini will settle down and stay with you. He is gorgeous!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-29-2014, 03:42 PM
What a stunning bunny!!! :love: When I first moved here over 8 years ago, there was a bunny who would come visiting almost every day. She/he visited for almost 3 years. I don't know what happened but I sure enjoyed the visits. We used to have lots of wild bunnies in town but you never see them any more. :( I miss them.

kaycountrygal
08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Hi wonderful! I often see rabbits here eating or playing near some clover; they're fun to watch. Unfortunately Annie dog is always on the watch for them (not in a good way). Most of them escape her by running through the openings of the wire fence of the goat lot where she can't go.

Karen
08-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi wonderful! I often see rabbits here eating or playing near some clover; they're fun to watch. Unfortunately Annie dog is always on the watch for them (not in a good way). Most of them escape her by running through the openings of the wire fence of the goat lot where she can't go.

I inadvertently scared him today, he was outside the window for about an hour nibbling grass so I held off until I thought he was gone to put out the birdseed and refresh the water. But as I approached the tree, he had apparently been about 3=20 feet away, just out of sight until I got outside, so I saw his very white tail in full alert as he sped away.

But I am sure he will be back!

RICHARD
09-02-2014, 11:21 AM
I had to chuckle a little this past weekend.

I was watching a program about a man who bred rabbits and he was going into the details and do's and don't's of the process.

He was talking about how he couldn't leave a doe and buck in the same cage because the female would castrate the buck.....I don't know why, but I thought of this thread.....:eek::mad::confused:

Karen
09-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I had to chuckle a little this past weekend.

I was watching a program about a man who bred rabbits and he was going into the details and do's and don't's of the process.

He was talking about how he couldn't leave a doe and buck in the same cage because the female would castrate the buck.....I don't know why, but I thought of this thread.....:eek::mad::confused:

Um, that's one determined doe! That's not exactly normal!

Karen
09-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Kini is out resting by the stone wall, a smarter resting spot as at least one side is safe from predators! He was under the tree immediately after one of the downpours we have had intermittently this afternoon, and is nearly invisible on the dirt there!

Karen
09-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Hee hee - it started pouring again, so he moved back under the tree - this is a terrible photo, but will give you and idea how little he really is!

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=58588&d=1409697444

And how hard to see on the dirt, and in low light!

mrspunkysmom
09-02-2014, 10:58 PM
What breed of rabbits are these, and how big will they get? I know some can be quite large. Beautiful camouflage.

Karen
09-03-2014, 02:25 AM
What breed of rabbits are these, and how big will they get? I know some can be quite large. Beautiful camouflage.

He is a wild rabbit. He and Brownie are both Eastern Cottontails, which have taken over most of the range of New England Cottontails, which are smaller and have slight different markings.

cassiesmom
09-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Good for you, Kini for staying under the tree and close to Mayor Karen's house!