PDA

View Full Version : NEW Scary news from the home front (see post 25)

phesina
08-23-2014, 09:31 AM
For starters.. the WiFi in my apartment is out now (supposed to be on until Aug. 31), and I'm at the library writing this. Don't know how soon I can get back, hopefully tomorrow afternoon because it doesn't open until noon on Sundays.

The bigger news: Apartment inspection yesterday. I got a letter from management a couple of weeks before saying, first, I wasn't disposing of litter properly, and I called to ask WHAT? because I scoop several times a day and always dispose of the waste, double-bagged, in the dumpster as regulations require and were repeated in this letter. When the management person returned my call two days later she said there was a ..smell in the apartment and outside the door.

I told her I hadn't noticed such, and this was the first I'd heard of it, and I said I'd take care of it.

Wound up having whole apartment professionally house-cleaned and then carpet-cleaned in preparation. Boarded cats while the cleaning was going on, changed litter for one supposedly more odor-killing and then put additive in to make it even more odor-killing, got plastic sheeting to put under boxes so there wouldn't be anything getting into rugs.

Brought the cats home Wednesday. Well, they were freaked by the odors of the cleaning solutions and even more so of the changed litter.. I didn't see much in the way of use of the new litter.

Took Bob and Elmer to my sister's early Friday.

When I got back I discovered a new, very potent reek coming from the living room corner. Well, surprise! That's where ..somebody decided was better than the new-smell litterboxes!

So I'm wiping that up and then dousing it with Nature's Miracle and trying to do something to fix this before they come. (I'd also called asking whom I could expect for this around what time, but that call was never returned.) That's when they showed up: the apartment-complex maintenance head and the brand new "manager" (fifth in less than a year).

Maintenance guy said the carpet, matting and all, has to go.

It turns out they are supposed to, in fact are required by state law to replace the carpet every five years, which of course they never bothered to enlighten us about.. so the ball is (hopefully) in their court. I think they are going to make as much trouble as they can about it.

I'm very frightened.

Prayers, good wishes, positive energies, please send along.. Thank you very much!

:love::love::love::love::love:

Felicia's Mom
08-23-2014, 10:58 AM
sending you prayers and positive thoughts.:love:

mbsmum
08-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

mon
08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Good luck honey! Hate it when the poo hits the fan! Lotsa prayers and best wishes!

Catty1
08-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Pat, if there's a landlord and tenant act in your state, you might want to find out at who should pay for this removal and replacement. Find out the details of that law they mentioned. In some places you can get free legal advice on certain topics.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Karen
08-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Prayers on the way for you and your kitties!

phesina
08-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Ha, I'm back at another library branch, closer to my place.. Couldn't do without getting back on line.

Thank you, everyone, for the prayers and good wishes!

What I am most scared of is if they use this as an excuse to try to evict me. Even scarier if they should succeed. Where am I going to find a place for a 70-year-old woman with limited income and four cats?

The letter they sent me was marked "First Notice." Three notices, and you're out. Since the new manager has not called me yet as she promised three times, I'm thinking they're going to send me another one saying "Second Notice." But I responded to the "First Notice" in complete good faith (and huge expense), doing everything I could to attend to those matters as they were described to me both in the letter and then in response to my phone call.

If the whole carpet needs to be replaced, then it seems to me that's up to them, as I've been here twelve years and they haven't ever done it (or even let me know they could and would), even though they should every five years.

And thanks, Candace. I plan to research the legal aspects here thoroughly. I only just found out that the management is supposed to replace the carpet every five years a couple of months ago from a fellow tenant and catsitting client.

A good friend and neighbor in the same apartment complex has already been looking into things. She got her carpet cleaned (not replaced) by them for free .. after I told her about what my client told me. She's the one who told me the carpet replacement is state law. And while I have to get my small things out of the way, the management has to move the furniture.

She also said the University of Michigan Law School has a Seniors Legal Assistance clinic run by 3rd year students. I'm going to see if there are any actual lawyers out there who might help too.

Meanwhile I just talked with a friend who runs a low-cost spay-neuter service (katsnips.org). I've given her figurines and cat-themed items in the past for their fund-raising auctions. I offered her the zillions more figurines I have, since I'll need to get them out for carpet-changing, and anyway I'd like them to go where they'll help real cats and to others who will love them as I do. She said if I box them up, she'll store the boxes of ones I want to keep and keep the others for future sales.

So, first steps on all this. Tonight I'm having dinner with my friend who is looking into the legal aspects and being in my cheering section. I'll get the numbers she's found of people who can help.

Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts and prayers, dear friends!

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

pomtzu
08-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Wow Pat - just what you don't need. You have enough on your plate right now with your upcoming surgery.

Sending positive thoughts your way for a successful resolution - both with management and your fur kids. :love: Hang in there..... :)

lizbud
08-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Questions for the apt mgr.

1. When will the new carpeting be installed ?
2. When will the WiFi be fixed & working?

Tell the Mgr. all the positive steps you've taken to eliminate any odors. Maybe a home camera setup to identify the kitty
who uses the corner instead of the litter box, so you know who to work on. Good luck & I hope they will work with you on
solving any problems.

phesina
08-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Ellie! :love::love::love:

Yeah, that's the other thing.. I have this surgery scheduled!

I could postpone that again.. but there is a 12-week rehab and recovery period (no bending, no lifting over 5 lbs. for starters) after, and I need to get that done with before winter-weather starts. And I can't postpone it for another six months, because this could very well get much more painful over that long a time.

pomtzu
08-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Ellie! :love::love::love:

Yeah, that's the other thing.. I have this surgery scheduled!

I could postpone that again.. but there is a 12-week rehab and recovery period (no bending, no lifting over 5 lbs. for starters) after, and I need to get that done with before winter-weather starts. And I can't postpone it for another six months, because this could very well get much more painful over that long a time.

Pat - I think that you'll find that 12 week scenario, to be very overstated. I was pretty much back to my normal routine in 4 - 6 weeks. These doctors like to present the worst possibilities, but then greatly modify the whole thing when they see how well you are tolerating and recovering. Fingers and paws crossed for a "lighter sentence". :love::)

cassiesmom
08-23-2014, 02:30 PM
For starters.. the WiFi in my apartment is out now (supposed to be on until Aug. 31), and I'm at the library writing this. Don't know how soon I can get back, hopefully tomorrow afternoon because it doesn't open until noon on Sundays.

The bigger news: Apartment inspection yesterday. I got a letter from management a couple of weeks before saying, first, I wasn't disposing of litter properly, and I called to ask WHAT? because I scoop several times a day and always dispose of the waste, double-bagged, in the dumpster as regulations require and were repeated in this letter. When the management person returned my call two days later she said there was a ..smell in the apartment and outside the door.

I told her I hadn't noticed such, and this was the first I'd heard of it, and I said I'd take care of it.

Wound up having whole apartment professionally house-cleaned and then carpet-cleaned in preparation. Boarded cats while the cleaning was going on, changed litter for one supposedly more odor-killing and then put additive in to make it even more odor-killing, got plastic sheeting to put under boxes so there wouldn't be anything getting into rugs.

Brought the cats home Wednesday. Well, they were freaked by the odors of the cleaning solutions and even more so of the changed litter.. I didn't see much in the way of use of the new litter.

Took Bob and Elmer to my sister's early Friday, so when the inspectors came by they couldn't possibly see more than the two pets maximum we're allowed here.

When I got back I discovered a new, very potent reek coming from the living room corner. Well, surprise! That's where ..somebody decided was better than the new-smell litterboxes!

So I'm wiping that up and then dousing it with Nature's Miracle and trying to do something to fix this before they come. (I'd also called asking whom I could expect for this around what time, but that call was never returned.) That's when they showed up: the apartment-complex maintenance head and the brand new "manager" (fifth in less than a year).

Maintenance guy said the carpet, matting and all, has to go.

It turns out they are supposed to, in fact are required by state law to replace the carpet every five years, which of course they never bothered to enlighten us about.. so the ball is (hopefully) in their court. I think they are going to make as much trouble as they can about it.

I'm very frightened.

Prayers, good wishes, positive energies, please send along.. Thank you very much!

More prayers and good wishes. Were Bob and Elmer still out of the house when someone chose the corner instead of the litter pan? I don't see how they can give you a big hassle when you made a good-faith effort to respond to the first notice. If they're supposed to exchange the carpeting anyway ... would they wait till after you've finished your surgery and rehab? Since you did just have it cleaned. ((((HUGS))) and prayers and positive energies and good wishes!

Queen of Poop
08-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Sending you prayers and strength!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Tons of prayers and well wishes are on the way from me for sure! :love:

Freedom
08-24-2014, 07:49 AM
So many things to juggle all at once! Prayers for patience and calm during this hectic time. Sounds like you are on track to get the information and support you need.

Is the 2 pets max written in your rental agreement / lease? Was it always that way (you said many changes in management).
Then, how long have you been in 'violation?' Do NOT answer these questions on here, this is a public forum. But these are things your legal representative will need to know. Because the longer you have been in violation the stronger they can argue the management knew and looked the other way.

The legal clinic w/3rd year students is a great option for you, do follow up on that as well as all the other things you have to do. They are eager, chomping at the bit, and have plenty of oversight by seasoned attorneys.

phesina
08-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Pat - I think that you'll find that 12 week scenario, to be very overstated. I was pretty much back to my normal routine in 4 - 6 weeks. These doctors like to present the worst possibilities, but then greatly modify the whole thing when they see how well you are tolerating and recovering. Fingers and paws crossed for a "lighter sentence". :love::)

Thank you, Ellie. I know they state extremes here, to cover their behinds legally. I'm going to do the best I can to get back on my feet before that much time.

At this point I'm not thinking of postponing the surgery. The new manager was supposed to call me Friday afternoon with what they'd come up with.. she promised me three times that she would. And I never heard a peep.

I'm just in kind of a daze with all this right now!

phesina
08-24-2014, 02:43 PM
More prayers and good wishes. Were Bob and Elmer still out of the house when someone chose the corner instead of the litter pan? I don't see how they can give you a big hassle when you made a good-faith effort to respond to the first notice. If they're supposed to exchange the carpeting anyway ... would they wait till after you've finished your surgery and rehab? Since you did just have it cleaned. ((((HUGS))) and prayers and positive energies and good wishes!

Thanks, Elyse. Bob was out of the house Thursday night; Elmer left Friday morning. Friday after I got back from dropping him off was when I discovered the pee puddle.

That's what I think.. I made an absolute good-faith effort responding well over and above, and at ENORMOUS expense, to what they'd stated in the letter and then in my phone call to the manager.

The maintenance super said it: the whole carpet needs to be replaced. And that is on them to do, since they've never done it in my 12 years here and they are supposed to do it every 5 years.

I have a huge lot of stuff to move out of the way if the carpet is going to be replaced. Smaller things so they can move the furniture. Don't know if they'll want to let it go until after the surgery and rehab. This remains to be figured out just what is to happen when, and right now I need to hear back from them to know what's next.

Thanks for all the ((((HUGS))) and prayers and positive energies and good wishes!

phesina
08-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Questions for the apt mgr.

1. When will the new carpeting be installed ?
2. When will the WiFi be fixed & working?

Tell the Mgr. all the positive steps you've taken to eliminate any odors. Maybe a home camera setup to identify the kitty
who uses the corner instead of the litter box, so you know who to work on. Good luck & I hope they will work with you on
solving any problems.

Thanks, Liz. Carpet installation date needs to be worked out. They sent a letter a couple of months back saying free WiFi would be discontinued starting Aug. 31, but according to my calendar it's not that date yet. When I called the office I was referred to the technical company running it. My calls to them have not been returned. I should call the apartment-complex owner's office and make a big stink, YOU promised we would have this service until 8/31, so YOU get on to the techies and make it happen.. Or extend it this many days into September.

But I don't really want to make a big noise about this right while all the apartment stuff is going on.

Yes, I've taken huge steps at great expense to deal with the issues they informed me about.

Thanks for the good wishes!

phesina
08-24-2014, 02:53 PM
So many things to juggle all at once! Prayers for patience and calm during this hectic time. Sounds like you are on track to get the information and support you need.

Is the 2 pets max written in your rental agreement / lease? Was it always that way (you said many changes in management).
Then, how long have you been in 'violation?' Do NOT answer these questions on here, this is a public forum. But these are things your legal representative will need to know. Because the longer you have been in violation the stronger they can argue the management knew and looked the other way.

The legal clinic w/3rd year students is a great option for you, do follow up on that as well as all the other things you have to do. They are eager, chomping at the bit, and have plenty of oversight by seasoned attorneys.

Thanks, Sandie, for the prayers and good wishes and advice. I'm having a hard time staying patient and calm, I'm afraid. I need to remind myself that getting all stressed out and worried is not going to help one bit.

I know the two pets max is in the official agreement. And I am looking forward to getting in touch with the legal clinic, once I know more just what is really going on here.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
08-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Thank you so much to all you good people for your prayers and good wishes and strengthening energies and warm encouraging thoughts.

They really mean the world to me. God bless you all.

Love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat (and cats)

phesina
08-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, guess what...

I have this WiFi enhancer thing because the signal is not strong in my apartment.

Seems the brief power outage the other day must have knocked the enhancer off.. And this possibility just occurred to me now, after hearing my phone message from Crosstown Wireless saying everything was fine.

So sure enough, it was off.. and sure enough after I turned it back on, I'm online again!

DUHHH..

At least I don't have to be concerned about that at the moment (until the 31st, anyway)... :D

smokey the elder
08-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Good luck with all the apartment stuff and your surgery.

phesina
08-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Thank you, Smokey!

kaycountrygal
08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm so sorry you have to be concerned about this apartment thing and your surgery. All of that would make me very upset. I hope all of it works out good for you.

phesina
08-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Thank you, Kaycountrygal. :love::love:

Wait till you hear the update, everyone.. sigh...

I just heard from the new manager, Cathy, this afternoon. Turns out they are going to replace all the carpet. Next Tuesday in the bedroom and hall, rip it all out and replace the flooring, Wednesday, put in the new carpeting.

Friday and Saturday, same for the living room.

Before Tuesday I have to have everything that's on the floor in the bedroom and hall out of there.

Then before Friday everything out of the living room.

I'll have to board the cats again the whole week. (And I wonder how they'll react when they come back home on Sunday and find so much is different.)

I have loads of stuff all over the floors in all the rooms. It is mind-boggling to consider moving it all and where to put it. Some to get rid of or to send on to good causes. Most of it, I don't know.

Cathy said this is non-negotiable, I have to get those spaces cleared at the right times. This is so it's done before I go for my surgery on Sept. 15! See, they're thinking of me.

That's the latest there. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

P.S., At least this means they're not threatening me with eviction! (At least not now.)

P.P.S., I had my pre-surgery physical today. Brings it more home to me that this is actually (maybe) going to happen.. Sept. 15.

katladyd
08-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I had to do this for new carpet in an apartment I lived in several years ago. You take all the floor stuff in the bedroom (since they are doing that room first) and move it into the living room (pile it up if you have to). Then, when they are done with the bedroom move all the living room stuff into the bedroom, including the bedroom room floor stuff you had put in the living room. When they are completely finished, move everythig back to its appropriate room and enjoy your new carpet!:)

phesina
08-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Thank you, katladyd. That's what I have to do.

phesina
08-26-2014, 09:13 AM
I had to do this for new carpet in an apartment I lived in several years ago. You take all the floor stuff in the bedroom (since they are doing that room first) and move it into the living room (pile it up if you have to). Then, when they are done with the bedroom move all the living room stuff into the bedroom, including the bedroom room floor stuff you had put in the living room. When they are completely finished, move everythig back to its appropriate room and enjoy your new carpet!:)

It sounds so easy, doesn't it! But this is a massive undertaking here. I have so much stuff lying around in so little space.

I just booked the cats to be boarded for the whole week. And I'm scared that when they do come back home and find everything they're used to all changed around, they're going to ..react by doing things like ..marking spaces. And a week and a half later I disappear for a month or two or more.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should postpone the surgery after all.

mbsmum
08-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Please do not postpone the surgery. You have to be fit and healthy for your furrkids. Take care

Catty1
08-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Pat, you don't need to be hurting yourself before surgery! Call a volunteer or elder-help service (I don't know how old you are and I ain't asking! ;):D) and see what they can do for you.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/org451771.jsp

If they don't provide that help, they may know who can.

phesina
08-26-2014, 01:36 PM
I just got a call from Dr. Patel (surgeon)'s nurse. In my pre-surgery tests yesterday the EKG had some abnormality. So now I have to see my primary care doctor who is to decide whether I am fit for surgery now or need to have more tests.

I called Dr. Shore (primary care doctor)'s office, have an appointment to see her Thursday.

So the surgery may be postponed regardless of what's going on with the apartment!

Then again, maybe all my anxiety and distress over the apartment and cats stuff affected the EKG. My blood pressure reading was really high yesterday, and it's been excellent forever.

phesina
08-26-2014, 09:43 PM

Hi katladyd, just what kind of "floor stuff" did you have to move? I have a number of packing crates set up on their sides on the floor, some on top of others, with things in them. And stacking containers that hold things like socks. Did you have to move things like that?

Did you have to move stuff like books in bookcases? Things on top of tables? ..Things that aren't on the floor as such but might fall off or out when they have to more the tables and bookcases.

I have a coat-rack with several coats hanging from it. How about that, do you think?

I'm reluctant to call the office. First of all, this Cathy is brand-new, and I doubt she knows all the answers to things like that. And they are VERY busy this week with eleven move-outs in the next few days and who knows how many new occupants coming.

And I don't want someone from the staff coming over to see what I'm talking about and an excess cat possibly not hiding quickly enough!

Thanks very much! I'm working hard at getting stuff together and am hoping for the best with it all.

Pat :love::love::love::love::love:

katladyd
08-26-2014, 10:08 PM
They wanted everything but my heavy furniture out of the room. This meant bean bag chairs, floor lamps, any chair but the sofa, coffee tables, and they wanted all the books off of my bookshelves. In the bedroom there wasn't as much. Just a clothes hamper, nightstands, and an atique trunk I had in there. I also had to move all of my son's things, like his computer and computer desk, wrestlig ring (toy, with action figures, and some decorative crates (but he helped with that, it was his room. I slept on the sleeper sofa in the living room). It was in the summer months, too. Not fun!

phesina
08-27-2014, 05:50 AM
Okay, that's what I was afraid of.. Thanks, katladyd.

Pat :love::love::love:

pomtzu
08-27-2014, 08:18 AM
I just got a call from Dr. Patel (surgeon)'s nurse. In my pre-surgery tests yesterday the EKG had some abnormality. So now I have to see my primary care doctor who is to decide whether I am fit for surgery now or need to have more tests.

I called Dr. Shore (primary care doctor)'s office, have an appointment to see her Thursday.

So the surgery may be postponed regardless of what's going on with the apartment!

Then again, maybe all my anxiety and distress over the apartment and cats stuff affected the EKG. My blood pressure reading was really high yesterday, and it's been excellent forever.

It seems us old ladies run on the same path, Pat. :( A few years ago I was scheduled for knee surgery to repair torn cartilage, and it got cancelled the day before I was scheduled because of an "abnormal" EKG. The anesthesiologist flat out refused to put me under until I was cleared by a cardiologist. So many expensive (paid by Medicare) tests and procedures and a couple of months later, I was released. And the diagnosis as to what was "abnormal"???? - nothing - not a thing was wrong - just the way some people's results show up. So after carotid artery and abdominal aorta ultrasounds, stress test, echocardiogram, more EKG's, cardiac catheterization, and then repeats of a few of those, I was released for the knee surgery. But by then, I just said the heck with it, and I've never had it done. But a least the test results are on record for any future surgery - and it came in handy to have available when I had the back done in May. At least I didn't have to go thru all that b.s. again. :rolleyes:

So good luck on your doctor appointment on Thursday - and may your "abnormality" just be a fluke -like mine was. :)

phesina
08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Ellie. I guess they can't be too careful. I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow.

:love::love::love::love: