PDA

View Full Version : Feral???

Cookiebaker
12-16-2002, 07:35 PM
What is the difference between a "feral" cat and a "stray" cat?? Is it simply that one is wild, and the other tame?? And is it possible to tame a "feral"??

I have mentioned a couple of times the stray kitty (Allie) that has been coming around for a while. Last week sometime, it was SO cold out, and she was yowling outside the kitchen door. I opened it, and after much persuasion (15+ minutes probably) she poked her head in to gobble some food down. I had put the food down on the floor near the door, and placed a "trail" of food from the doorway to the dish. She slowly slowly crept in, and I was able to gently close the door. When she realized the door was closed she really went ballistic and wanted OUT! It was a little discouraging because I had hoped that we could provide some shelter from the bitter cold. I haven't lost entire hope because she has been staying in the dog house, and I try to remember to fill her food dish every day. (Side note: she gobbles her food down worst than the dog. It is so sad, and I am thinking that I really should put two smaller meals down, morning & night)

So I guess my question is, do you think it is possible that one day she will be content to come in out of the cold/rain, or should I just be satisfied that she stays in the doghouse (that doesn't really have a door). My heart goes out to her, and I would really love to make her happy, but I'm not sure I know what that means.

sasvermont
12-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Feral = under exposed to humans......

I would make sure there is plenty of warm blanket like items in the doggie house. She/he is most likely used to the cold - but would love something to keep warm with.....maybe some straw on the bottom and some polar fleece or wool blanket on top...something to cuddle in....once the cat can confine its body warmth, it should be fine.....

Keep us posted....

Can you make another little house closer to your house....such as a carton with blankets in it?

;)

Cookiebaker
12-16-2002, 08:26 PM
The straw is an excellent idea! We have a (singular) blanket in there, but I think I will add at least another one. Thanks for the suggestion!