PDA

View Full Version : Sno-cone Thursday #591.

RICHARD
06-26-2014, 09:45 AM
During the summer months you hear a bell tinkle from up the street.

You grab the bills or coins you have stashed next to the door and head out for a MEXICAN SNO-CONE!!!!!

-----------

Orange Mango Raspado (Shaved Ice)

1/2 cup fresh orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups water
2 fresh ripe mangos (peeled and flesh cut from the pit)
Sweetened condensed milk (for garnish if desired)

In a medium sauce pan, bring sugar and water to a simmer. Cool and then add orange juice concentrate.

Puree syrup and mango in blender until smooth. Strain and pour mixture into a freezer proof dish.

Place mixture in freezer and freeze until set but not too hard. To serve, scrape the mixture with a spoon or heavy ice cream scoop and place in dessert dishes. Top with sweetened condensed milk if desired.

If Raspado is frozen too hard to scrape, leave in the fridge to thaw for a few hours.

-------------

Usually, the 'snow-cone' guy had a block of ice on his cart and he pulls out a hand ice shaver (raspador), he 'planes' off enough to fill the cup and then you can ask for whatever flavor you like.

Don't be fooled by the condensed milk added to some flavors.........

Done?

BTW, If you have kids or do large BBQs or gatherings, It's fun to get a block of ice, a raspador and make sno-cones for the party.....

cassiesmom
06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm drinking lukewarm coffee right now, but I'll sit with you... Thank goodness it's Thursday!

Karen
06-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Battling a nasty sinus infection, so I will take a frozen lemonade! It's annoying, but was inevitable when the pharmacy ran out of one of the components for my allergy meds, so I spent 3 days on just Sudafed, which barely dents it. Sigh.

We thankfully had a nice rainstorm today that cooled everything off.

Karen
06-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Okay, just brewed a huge pitcher of Ginger Peach tea - with loose tea from my favorite tea place, Virtuous Teas*, although I never feel any more of less virtuous when drinking it!

Anyone want some? I am impatiently waiting for it to be cold enough to drink - it is good tea hot, fabulous iced, but lukewarm, eh - not so much!

* http://virtuousteas.com

Queen of Poop
06-27-2014, 06:37 PM
That tea sounds good Karen. Maybe over an ice cube or two to speed the cooling.

Karen
06-27-2014, 07:50 PM
That tea sounds good Karen. Maybe over an ice cube or two to speed the cooling.

It is finally cold enough, I will pour you a glass! When making it, I used all my ice cubes available, so had none left for the glass at the time! ;)

RICHARD
06-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Sorry.....

Can I do a refill for anyone?

I was looking at Kentucky Christmas trees in the back yard, The fire flies are out in force.

It's nice enough to make a fire, have a drink and roast a marshmallow or two?

Done!

Queen of Poop
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
I'll have another iced tea. Have never seen a fire fly.

Karen
06-29-2014, 08:38 AM

Aw, Gayle - you don't have them where you are? We don't see them often in the city, but I love it when we do!

Experimental cookies on offer - chocolate with graham flour and mini marshmallow baked on top - anyone want some? An attempt at making S'more-ish cookies, but we'll see what the verdict is after folks try them (church folks are good guinea pigs for recipe experiments)!

RICHARD
06-29-2014, 09:42 AM

The first time I saw a 'firefly' was on the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland.

--------------------------

You cue up to get into a car/boat and the area has/had these 'fireflies' moving about.

In reality, they are little light bulbs hung from the ceiling/walls - pretty disappointing.
So, that was one of the things that was on my ever evolving 'bucket list'. To see REAL FFs in action.

The first few times are pretty spectacular, but a Kentucky Christmas Tree is the best.
As it gets dark, you see little sparks of light rise up from the lawn and begin to light up a tree. There were a few hundred in the neighbor's
tree - Just like a Christmas tree!

-----------------

Karen,
I had to laugh at your 'experiment' comment.

My mom used to cook for a church group - she measured her success on how much food was left over....

I want coffee this morning, with a danish?

We got some 'futbol' on tap too!!!

Done!

Karen
06-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Karen,
I had to laugh at your 'experiment' comment.

My mom used to cook for a church group - she measured her success on how much food was left over....

I want coffee this morning, with a danish?

We got some 'futbol' on tap too!!!

Done!

Well, these were deemed a success, on a beautiful day a lot of people didn't stay for fellowship afterwards, but there were only 3 cookies left, and I tried several different iterations, so know what the proper technique is! Anyone wants it, I'll write it down!

RICHARD
06-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Well, these were deemed a success, on a beautiful day a lot of people didn't stay for fellowship afterwards, but there were only 3 cookies left, and I tried several different iterations, so know what the proper technique is! Anyone wants it, I'll write it down!

I am always interested in baking recipes!

Done?

Lady's Human
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Yeay! I have a 4.0 in BS!

Karen
06-30-2014, 06:25 PM
I am always interested in baking recipes!

Done?

Okay -

Here they are - Chocolate Graham Yummies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Cream together:
2 sticks of butter
3/4 cup sugar

Mix in:
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanila

until light and fluffy.

In a small bowl, mix or soft together:

3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (hence the "graham" in the title)
5 tablespoons cocoa powder (1/4 cup plus 1 more)
3 tablespoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Add this to the wet mixture, mix thoroughly. It makes a very soft dough, so throw it in the fridge for a few minutes to =harden up if necessary.

Form spoonfuls into 1" rough balls. Set on an ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart, and into each one, push

1 mini marshmallow - only about halfway in, don't push hard.

Bake for 11 minutes, marshmallow should be lightly browned. LET COOL on the tray a couple minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Remove from the tray with a spatula, as they are soft when warm. (If you don't, they fall apart very easily.)

Cool, enjoy!

If you pushed one marshmallow in too far, and it basically all melts into the cookie, you can always put another one on top of that spot and rebake that cookie for 5-7 minutes, to brown the new one!

When cool, store in an airtight container, and they'll keep well. Dunno how long, they've never lasted long enough without getting eaten!

Karen
06-30-2014, 06:26 PM

Um, congrats?

Lady's Human
06-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Um, congrats?

Yeah, the comments from the professor were a little saccharine, but I did well with the first rule of writing......remember your audience. If you read the papers wihtout KNOWING I wrote them you'd be confused.

RICHARD
07-01-2014, 11:03 AM

I knew a girl with a 5.0? It was a hardtop?:eek:;)

Congrats, now on to the exams?

-------------

A round for the house!

Done.

Karen
07-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Can I just have the shaved ice to cool my iced tea, please? Hoping for the thunderstorms to arrive sooner than later and the humidity to drop. Last I looked, it was 85F but "feels like" 93F.

RICHARD
07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Can I just have the shaved ice to cool my iced tea, please? Hoping for the thunderstorms to arrive sooner than later and the humidity to drop. Last I looked, it was 85F but "feels like" 93F.

Shaved ice? Done!!!