PDA

View Full Version : Soccer World Cup 2014 in Brazil: Anyone planning to watch?

Kirsten
06-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Only 5 days from now, and the entire madness will start all over again. :) Anyone here looking forward to it? And if you do, which team are you going to support? As far as I'm concerned, I'm ready for it; my little flags are at my car, and watching my team defeating Armenia 6:1 last night was promising ... I'm hoping for a good time and many exciting matches. :)

http://www.catmom.de/2014/faehnchen2.jpg

Karen
06-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Are Lilly and Luna also rooting for Germany? I do not know the teams well enough to know who else to vote for besides the American teams - and I am so much of a mutt ethnically that I cannot just choose Sweden or England or France or Ireland or ... you get the idea! I do have a friend who used to play at a pretty competitive level in Argentina - so I may be obligated to root for them, too!

Kirsten
06-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Well, you could root for the US team, Karen, they're in the same group with Germany which is going to be interesting (especially as they are coached by Jürgen Klinsmann who is a former coach of the German team). :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I will be watching together with my hobby and our son Jo!!
Of course, we support............ Belgium!!!!!!
I hope they will get to the next round; there are several very good players: Courtois, Lukaku, Kompany, etc....;!

BELGIUM FOR CHAMPION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara
06-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Kirsten, the guys here do not believe in soccer, they believe in football and basketball;)
And I cannot tell the difference between all three ( just kidding, of course I can: football has the big dresses, soccer players have bent legs ( in O-shape) and basket ball players are the longest:D).
After this totally ignorant comment I go to bed....

Kirsten
06-08-2014, 03:32 AM
I know that, Barbara, but I thought I'd give it at least a try and play the missionary. ;)

Lut, good luck for the Belgian team! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-10-2014, 02:16 PM
I know that, Barbara, but I thought I'd give it at least a try and play the missionary. ;)

Lut, good luck for the Belgian team! :)

Hey:, thanks Kirsten! Our national team are called "The Red Devils" ! On the evening news we got videos of our Red Devils who are on a plane right now, flying over to Brasil!!:):)

Hurray for our Red Devils !!!!!!

RICHARD
06-13-2014, 11:56 AM
The English announcer for ESPN is a jerk. He was complaining about the opening ceremonies for the game yesterday. He couldn't be bothered with the pomp. He just wanted the game to start.
------------

It's a whole month of funny names, bad haircuts, great stories and the guy on Univision yelling Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!! ! every time someone scores.

--------------------

Some of the best commercials are on during the tournament!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Yesterday we watched the match between The Netherlands and Spain;
The match ended with 5-1 !!
OMG, the Dutch men were so good! I bet that the Spanish all have "red cheeks" today:eek:

Kirsten
06-14-2014, 11:03 AM
That was such an awesome match, I enjoyed every minute of it! Boy, the Netherlands were good! I almost felt sorry for Spain. LOL

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Yesterday we watched Uruguay - Costa Rica together. Great match! The Coataricans were really very good! I bet that those who scored a goal, will be honoured like kings in their own country!!
My hobby and son also watched England - Italy; Italy won, but my hobby says they both deserved to win! Did any of you here watch these match?
Nobody here watched the match with Japan, as it started at 3 am for us ....:eek:

Karen
06-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I just heard on the news that the US has the second-highest number of ticket sales for the World Cup, only behind Brazil, who is of course the host country! We were surprised Germany or one of the other South American countries - like Argentina - was not second!

smokey the elder
06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
"Oranje" weren't supposed to do well; they kicked (sorry) Spain's hiney!:D

RICHARD
06-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Animals and the WC......

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/animals-world-pick-world-cup-winner/story?id=24102726

Kirsten
06-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Lut, are you going to watch Belgium - Algeria now?

I was very pleased with the German match last night, they literally blew Portugal and Ronaldo off the field. Yay!! :)

Richard, I'm going to check that out; unfortunately Paul, the octopus who predicted all the winners of the 2010 World Cup, is no longer with us.

RICHARD
06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
More than ever, I am convinced that 'futbol' is a religion and the pitches are holy ground.

------

I was watching the Costa Rica/Italy game and saw two players crash into each other and lie on the ground clutching their legs, it looked bad. Someone will have to be taken off the field on a stretcher?

The collision was replayed on the tele and by the time they went back to the live shot of the field, Both players were up and back in the game.

I think that as soon as a player gets hurt and falls to the ground, the grass heals them?

That is the only reason I can think that their miraculous recovery comes to pass.:D:eek:;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-20-2014, 03:41 PM

I was very pleased with the German match last night, they literally blew Portugal and Ronaldo off the field. Yay!! :)

Richard, I'm going to check that out; unfortunately Paul, the octopus who predicted all the winners of the 2010 World Cup, is no longer with us.

Oh yes, of course!!
At first we got really disapointed because Algeria was winning; but in the second time, our "Red Devils" were very alert!
You can imagine how hard we were all screening when the second goal for Belgium was made!
Belgium - Algeria was 2 - 1 !!! Hurray for Belgium!!

My hubby and our son Jo try to watch ALL matches....! At first it is fun, but after a whole week with 3 duels a day, ...... pffffffft !!!:rolleyes::eek:

We just saw Switserland - France ! Oh my, the French really completely overruled the other team!!

RICHARD
06-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Official posters/team nicknames for the WC.

Some excellent artwork.

http://mashable.com/2014/06/09/world-cup-nicknames/

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-22-2014, 12:57 PM
YES YES YES !!!!!!
Belgium just won from Russia!!!
We are going to the second round !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES YES YES

RICHARD
06-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Miss Z
06-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Well, England have outdone themselves this year... :o No passion, no drive, and no solid defence. Football is in English blood and it's always anguishing to see how little our team of upstarts is able to produce! Still, at least now England fans can actually enjoy the rest of the World Cup, which has thrown out some exciting and surprising clashes. Always a slight shame to see the amateur dramatics on show, though - they seem particularly prevalent at this World Cup. I've lost a lot of interest in football in general based on the time-wasting and foul attitude exhibited by many of the players.

I will turn my attentions to supporting Portugal (purely because lovely Ronny is a dish :p). They seem to be having a rough ride of it too, though!

RICHARD
06-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Se vende panales en Portugal?

(Do they sell diapers in Portugal?)

Que juego!!!!

RICHARD
06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
The jokes will write themselves.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/company-confuses-barack-obama-with-chris-smalling-on-england-team-mug-set--photo-143719664.html;_ylt=AwrBJR41i6lTEW4AwbBNbK5_

--------------------------

I have to root Chile on.

They have a player that shares his last name with me......"family ties", ya know?:eek::D

----------------------

I took a class at an adult school and had to cross the athletic field to get to the building. There was a peewee/kid soccer league that played on the fields and I always laughed at the 'choreography' during a game.

Someone once said that you just needed to thrown the ball out on the field and let the kids chase the ball up and down, until the game ended?

I'd like to think that the future of American Futbol was amongst that madness.:D

smokey the elder
06-24-2014, 01:08 PM

The Google doodle opening day showed Paul with a halo.:)

Kirsten
06-24-2014, 01:38 PM
The Google doodle opening day showed Paul with a halo.:)

Oh, really? I missed that! :)

BTW, I'm very disappointed with the referees this time! Absolutely disgusting that Luis Suarez bites the Italian defender and nothing happens. :o Not that Italy would have deserved to reach the round of 16, the way they played in this World Cup, like Spain and England, they were absolutely disappointing. Not a good World Cup for the European teams, as it seems - and the referees don't make it much better.

Lut, congrats to your Red Devils! :)

RICHARD
06-24-2014, 02:30 PM
The 'bite heard round the world' will be dealt with later on, by FIFA, if not by the team. Sports refs/umpires have a tough job to start out with. Having to watch 22 men all at once is not an easy task.

Futbol doesn't have the time outs or stoppages that other sports have - that makes a refs job very difficult.

-------

I was watching the post game on UNIVISION and they cut to a film clip of my old neighborhood. People took to the streets after the game and when I spoke to my brother, he said the party went on all night long.

-------

I love the costumes and fan shots.

Kirsten
06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Found Paul's Google Doodle:

http://www.google.com/doodles/world-cup-2014-14

@Richard: Yes, I know the refs have a difficult job (I would fail miserable if I was in their shoes!), but it's frustrating to watch. :(

RICHARD
06-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Sad, but true?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-wins-bet-suarez-world-102044482--sow.html

---------------------

Seems like Senor Suarez will know what's going to happen before the game on Saturday.

That will be interesting to see how FIFA treats the incident.

RICHARD
06-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Today,

There in no 'I' in Team, But, there is 'US'!!!!!!

Kirsten
06-26-2014, 10:27 AM
USA vs. Germany, Klinsmann vs. Löw ... This is going to be interesting!! And Recife is drowning in the rain, only an hour ago it looked like the match had to be cancelled.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/25/jurgen-klinsmann-joachim-low-germany-usa-world-cup

Anyway, whatever happens, I hope this is going to be an exciting and fair match! And I hope both our teams will reach the Round of 16. :)

Karen
06-26-2014, 04:06 PM
And I hope both our teams will reach the Round of 16. :)

You wish came true! :) Germany 1, USA 0 - but because Portugal beat Ghana, the US gets to move on, too! :D

Kirsten
06-26-2014, 04:25 PM
You wish came true! :) Germany 1, USA 0 - but because Portugal beat Ghana, the US gets to move on, too! :D

Good for us! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Hehe, our next opponent is............. the United states of America-team!!
Whoohoo!!! Beware all Americans, our Belgian national team listens to the name "The Red Devils" !!!!!
And of course, I am sure we will win,:D;):D

phesina
06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
I know... and that's what I've been thinking, Litttle Belgium is SMOKING in the matches there! We may be out of it after that one.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-28-2014, 06:06 AM
I know... and that's what I've been thinking, Litttle Belgium is SMOKING in the matches there! We may be out of it after that one.

I surely hope so!! Not that I hate the USA-team, but our Red Devils are THE BEST!! They will win!! Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen
06-28-2014, 12:41 PM
I surely hope so!! Not that I hate the USA-team, but our Red Devils are THE BEST!! They will win!! Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we will just have to see about that! I was amused (as I always am) by one headline that said "4 wins to history" with a picture of the US team. While I know they meant if they win their next 4 games they will win the world cup, history is made either way - win or lose, it all goes down in history!

Kirsten
06-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Don't underestimate the Germans! :) Did you see my team's match vs. Portugal? They were such a pleasure to watch. :)

Kirsten
06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Don't underestimate the Germans! :) Did you see my team's match vs. Portugal? They were such a pleasure to watch. :) And there was nothing to be seen of Ronaldo. :p

RICHARD
06-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Hey Richard, you forgot the "L" in BELGIUM ....! That will cost you guys..... (victory hey ho :p:p;))

RICHARD
06-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Hey Richard, you forgot the "L" in BELGIUM ....! That will cost you guys..... (victory hey ho :p:p;))

OMG!

In no way did I mean that as a slight.....I'll try to sueeze and 'l' in.....I ask forgiveness!

--------------

I have done this for all kinds of sports - as a way to keep interest and an easy reference.

Kirsten
06-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Anxiously waiting for Germany's match vs. Algeria tonight. You'd think that's going to be a picnic? Well, I guess not! Algeria has not forgotten the "Shame of Gijon", the darkest chapter in Germany's soccer history, and they want revenge:

The "Shame of Gijon"-Story (https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/shame-gijon-story-germany-algerias-unlikely-rivalry-074000313.html)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-30-2014, 03:23 PM
We are watching that game right now!
I hope that "Die Manshaft" wins !!!

Kirsten
06-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Horrible match, things are going so wrong tonight! Close to a nervous breakdown here. :(

Karen
06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Horrible match, things are going so wrong tonight! Close to a nervous breakdown here. :(

Aww, remember - it's only futball/soccer!

Kirsten
06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Aww, remember - it's only futball/soccer!

Oh no, soccer is not just a game in my country, it's religion ... ;)

And this was one nerve-wracking match, 2:1, but this was so close!

RICHARD
07-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Oh no, soccer is not just a game in my country, it's religion ... ;)

And this was one nerve-wracking match, 2:1, but this was so close!

Please close your windows when you watch the games.

I can hear you all the way over here?:eek:

Kirsten
07-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Oh no, I've been very quiet actually. My neighbors went to bed early. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2014, 12:25 PM
message to all Americans ;)
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/6/30/5857558/belgium-world-cup-2014-eden-hazard

Karen
07-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Hee hee - we shall see, Lut, we shall see! ;)

Kirsten
07-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Belgium - USA, now on tv ... :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2014, 04:16 PM
OMG, Belgium is really playing very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirsten
07-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Yep, much better than in their previous matches.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2014, 04:24 PM
So many great chances, but no goal yet......! Come on Red Devils, kick that ball where it is supposed to go!!!!!!

cassiesmom
07-01-2014, 05:18 PM
So many great chances, but no goal yet......! Come on Red Devils, kick that ball where it is supposed to go!!!!!!

Uh oh, 105 minutes, Belgium 2, US 0... On a completely different front, though - the city of Chicago moved the game viewing from the band shell in Grant Park to Soldier Field. Bigger, comes complete with seating and rest rooms, plus it is a lovely day to be on the lakefront watching the game. People in Chicago have definitely gotten into soccer because of the World Cup.

Karen
07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Well, we did manage to score, but only once. Congratulations to Lut and the girls - you kitties will have to root for your team again against Argentina!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2014, 05:58 PM
YES YES YES !!!!
We did it!!!! It could even have been much more than 2 goals for Belgium!!
Belgium really was the best! This is worldclass!!

Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!

smokey the elder
07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Congratulations, Belgium. Great effort by the US side, and the goalie! 16 saves is a lot (a record, I believe.)

RICHARD
07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
No shame in our game,
Onward and upward.

---------------

In the crowds that gathered to watch, there are a few hundred kids that were doing the math.

2018-2014= Look out world!

Kirsten
07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Congrats, Lut, I think this was well-deserved. Belgium had the better team last night.
I'm sorry for the US-team, though ... Especially for Jürgen Klinsmann. I hope the way his team played in the tournament was enough to make more American fans realize what a great sport soccer is :)

As far as the German team goes ... I'm prepared for the worst against France on Friday. What they showed in their match vs. Algeria the other day was not very encouraging. Where is the team that defeated Portugal 4:0? :o

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Congratulations, Belgium. Great effort by the US side, and the goalie! 16 saves is a lot (a record, I believe.)

You're absolutely right !!! That american goalie is the best I know!! He almost saved EVERYTHING !!! i bet you all understand how all supporters of the Devils wished him to hell eveytime he saved one attempt after another......:eek::D.
But hey, he missed 2, and that was enough for us!
He he, isn't it obvious I am a true soccer fan.... ;):):):)

Now on to Saturday!! If we can "control" Messi, we go to the semi-finals, where we will fight the very good team of the Netherlands (:eek:)

Kirsten
07-05-2014, 07:49 AM
SEMIFINALS, YAY!!!

Unfortunately, I felt very ill last night, so I couldn't enjoy the match, nor was I able to join the big party downtown. So sad, I would have loved to take pictures of my hometown celebrating! And this was the last chance to take pictures as the next matches won't start before nightfall (and end around midnight). :(

There's a storm today and the flag outside my window is blowing in the wind ... and Lily loves to look at it! :)

http://www.catmom.de/2014/lily_flag.jpg

Lut, you must be very excited by now, only three hours and the Red Devils will have their match vs. Argentina - and Messi. Good luck! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-05-2014, 12:06 PM
SEMIFINALS, YAY!!!

Lut, you must be very excited by now, only three hours and the Red Devils will have their match vs. Argentina - and Messi. Good luck! :)

One hour ago I was very exited!! But now, almost 1 hour later, I am not happy to see that Argentina made 1 goal already.......!
The Devils are NOT playing very well....:(, i am afraid they are to much impressed by the situation ( Argentina is anumber 1 club!!).
De Bruyne isn't giving good passes, they also have to much "attackers"; they should have started with a much more defensive team.
Now it is to late, they will have to make the best of it.. .
Let's hope that they will do better now..... (crossing all fingers)

Kirsten
07-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Don't give up, so far, they never scored within the first 70 minutes. :-)
But it's also very obvious that Argentina is much better today, compared to previous matches.

Karen
07-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Great flag/cat picture, Kirsten! I knew you'd be celebrating!

Kirsten
07-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Ah, I'm sorry, Lut, I was keeping my fingers crossed for your team! :(

Kirsten
07-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Karen, this is how soccer is celebrated in my country: :)

Berlin last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSnv7ioSX34

Berlin during the Germany - USA match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U65hzbq0eWQ

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Don't give up, so far, they never scored within the first 70 minutes. :-)
But it's also very obvious that Argentina is much better today, compared to previous matches.

No no, they didn't play better at all, they DID NOT PLAY !! They refused to play, it was so lame :mad:
They made & goal after 10 minutes, then did not do anything anymore...
Sorry, but this was sooooo frustrating for the other team (Belgium):mad:

I'm proud, the Belgian time played a very good championship!! It was the first time in 14 years that they even made it to start in Brasil!!

Kirsten
07-05-2014, 02:28 PM
I agree, those Argentinian matches were so boring to watch! I hope they won't win the championship that way; it would be a shame. :(

I'm really sorry, Lut, you must be so frustrated!

Karen
07-05-2014, 02:39 PM
No no, they didn't play better at all, they DID NOT PLAY !! They refused to play, it was so lame :mad:
They made & goal after 10 minutes, then did not do anything anymore...
Sorry, but this was sooooo frustrating for the other team (Belgium):mad:

I'm proud, the Belgian time played a very good championship!! It was the first time in 14 years that they even made it to start in Brasil!!

Aww, our sympathies, Lut!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-05-2014, 03:07 PM
I agree, those Argentinian matches were so boring to watch! I hope they won't win the championship that way; it would be a shame. :(
I'm really sorry, Lut, you must be so frustrated!

Aww, our sympathies, Lut!

Thanks Kirsten & Karen :love:
It is very frustrating......

But hey, the Belgian Devils are the youngest group in this world Championship, and I am very proud about what they have done there in Brasil
I'm sure they will be back and much better in the next WC in 4 years from now!

ps. By the way, Kirsten, that picture of Lily with the German vlag is amazing!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2014, 05:08 AM
He? Nobody's posting here anymore??
The semi-finals are coming up now , and of course the finale !

I think we will have The Netherlands against the German in the finale! In fact, I think that the Dutch will win it
what do you think Kirsten? I bet you are sure about the supremacy of "Die Manshaft" !!

phesina
07-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Go Germany!!!!!

Kirsten
07-08-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm really beginning to get a little nervous about the semifinale tonight. I'm sure it's going to be a tough match; Brazil is very unpredictable without Neymar. And I sure hope they won't play as roughly as they did vs. Columbia! 54 fouls in one match, and the referee did nothing about it! :(

Karen
07-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm really beginning to get a little nervous about the semifinale tonight. I'm sure it's going to be a tough match; Brazil is very unpredictable without Neymar. And I sure hope they won't play as roughly as they did vs. Columbia! 54 fouls in one match, and the referee did nothing about it! :(

It will sure be interesting! We know who you will be rooting for, Kirsten! And I am thinking there will be pressure on the referees to do more about the fouls, even if Brazil is the host country!

Kirsten
07-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Funny, even the Google doodle today is dedicated to the referees and their new "free kick spray". ;)

smokey the elder
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
I didn't understand the doodle until I read about it. Shows how much soccer I've been watching. Good tournament, though!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2014, 03:30 PM

No worries Kirsten! i wrote I was sure that Germany would win, and hey my prediction is correct: only 28 minutes in first half, and it's already O - 5 for Germany :):):)

Kirsten
07-08-2014, 03:57 PM
I didn't understand the doodle until I read about it. Shows how much soccer I've been watching. Good tournament, though!

This spray is a new thing, never saw anyone use it before. :)

No worries Kirsten! i wrote I was sure that Germany would win, and hey my prediction is correct: only 28 minutes in first half, and it's already O - 5 for Germany :):):)

Lut, isn't it just unbelievable??? It's only half time, and Germany scored five times already!! I could hardly believe my eyes, never saw something like this before. After all, this is the SEMIFINAL of the WORLD CUP!! :eek:

Brazil 0 - Germany 5 (!!!)

Karen
07-08-2014, 04:01 PM
This spray is a new thing, never saw anyone use it before. :)

Lut, isn't it just unbelievable??? It's only half time, and Germany scored five times already!! I could hardly believe my eyes, never saw something like this before. After all, this is the SEMIFINAL of the WORLD CUP!! :eek:

Brazil 0 - Germany 5 (!!!)

Yeah - that's like a baseball game score, not what we expect from World Cup games!

Kirsten
07-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Yay, yay, yay!! :)

7:1 We've reached the final!!

Manuel Neuer is a world class goalkeeper! And Miro Klose has the World Cup goalscoring record - congrats! :)

Karen
07-08-2014, 06:43 PM

Manuel Neuer is a world class goalkeeper! And Miro Klose has the World Cup goalscoring record - congrats! :)

Congrats to the German team! I am sure your whole city will be celebrating tonight!

cassiesmom
07-08-2014, 11:23 PM

I agree with Karen -- 7 to 1 sounds to me more like a score from a baseball game! I heard about it on news radio and then changed to the all-sports station to hear more about it.

Kirsten
07-09-2014, 04:39 AM
That was sooo awesome! I still can't believe what I saw last night, something like that never happened before in a semifinal of a World Cup tournament! This was the most stunning, the most exciting, the craziest and most unsual soccer match I have ever seen!!

That was pure MAGIC!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-09-2014, 06:26 AM
That was sooo awesome! I still can't believe what I saw last night, something like that never happened before in a semifinal of a World Cup tournament! This was the most stunning, the most exciting, the craziest and most unsual soccer match I have ever seen!!

That was pure MAGIC!!

It really was! What a match!!!!!:):) Congrats to the German team and to all German people!!! I am very much looking forward to what will happen tonight in the other semi-final between The Netherlands and Argentina, and of course to the finals coming Sunday!!

I feel a bit sorry though for the Brazilian team and all Brazilian people....... ! It must have felt like a humiliation for them......:(
After all, they were the organising country....

Kirsten
07-09-2014, 08:06 AM
It really was! What a match!!!!!:):) Congrats to the German team and to all German people!!! I am very much looking forward to what will happen tonight in the other semi-final between The Netherlands and Argentina, and of course to the finals coming Sunday!!

I feel a bit sorry though for the Brazilian team and all Brazilian people....... ! It must have felt like a humiliation for them......:(
After all, they were the organising country....

Yes, I felt sorry for them, too, at least for the Brazilian fans; many of them were crying. On the other hand, the Brazilian team itself showed so much arrogance prior to the World Cup (and then they won their first match only with the help of the referee), that I can't help but feeling a little bit gleeful now. This entire Neymar hype was somewhat annoying, and now look what they are without him - nothing! I guess that occurred to them after the 2:0 because for the next minutes, they looked paralized and did nothing. 4 goals within 6 minutes, against Brazil! If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I would have thought someone must be joking. lol

Impressions from Berlin last night (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6GYW6Sc4A) (Celebration on the streets starts at 4:55; I guess this is what happened in all German towns last night)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Today there is The Netherlands - Argentina !!!
I will cheer for The Netherlands, because after all that country is only a 20 km away from where we live!

smokey the elder
07-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm rooting for the Netherlands since Oranje was not expected to advance very far, until they put that whuppin' on Spain in the first round!

Karen
07-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Watching the video you posted, Kirsten, I was surprised the crowd didn't just self-combust by the time it was 5-0! ;)

Kirsten
07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Watching the video you posted, Kirsten, I was surprised the crowd didn't just self-combust by the time it was 5-0! ;)

LOL, yes. Must have been an awesome experience to be there. :)

As for the second semifinal, Argentina vs. the Netherlands ... it's somewhat tiresome so far. Still 0:0, now: 30 minutes extra time.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-10-2014, 03:55 PM
LOL, yes. Must have been an awesome experience to be there. :)

As for the second semifinal, Argentina vs. the Netherlands ... it's somewhat tiresome so far. Still 0:0, now: 30 minutes extra time.

What a boring match :rolleyes::rolleyes:........!
I only watched the first 45 minutes, because I fell asleep in my chair...... :o
So, another neighbour-country gone now....

Kirsten, as from today, I am cheering for the German team 100%! I really hope they will succes in finding an opening in the Argentinian team, so they can score !! The German team is the most "complete" team, they really deserve to win this final !!!

GO GO GO GERMANY !!!

Kirsten
07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
What a boring match :rolleyes::rolleyes:........!
I only watched the first 45 minutes, because I fell asleep in my chair...... :o
So, another neighbour-country gone now....

Kirsten, as from today, I am cheering for the German team 100%! I really hope they will succes in finding an opening in the Argentinian team, so they can score !! The German team is the most "complete" team, they really deserve to win this final !!!

GO GO GO GERMANY !!!

Thanks for your support, Lut! :)

Well, yes, I really think the German team was the best team in this tournament, and they would deserve the title. I really hope they'll find a way to break this complex Argentinian defense. Won't be easy.

Kirsten
07-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Ha ha ha, this is cute:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2014/jul/10/brazil-v-germany-world-cup-2014-brick-by-brick-video-animation

And it's so funny how they pronounce the names of our players. ;)

phesina
07-10-2014, 05:57 PM
GO GERMANY!!!!!

I'm rooting for your guys too, Kirsten.

Kirsten
07-11-2014, 05:41 AM
GO GERMANY!!!!!

I'm rooting for your guys too, Kirsten.

Thanks for your support! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Tonight is "the small finals, meaning that Brasil and The Netherlands will play for the bronzen medal.
I hope the The Netherlands will win this, they deserve to win !!!
GO NETHERLANDS GO !!!!

phesina
07-12-2014, 04:49 PM
GO NETHERLANDS!!!!

Let's have a Dutch Treat tonight!

Kirsten
07-12-2014, 04:57 PM
That was pathetic! What happened to Brazil? They're just a shadow of their former self! Very sad!

Congrats to the Netherlands, though ...

Kirsten
07-13-2014, 01:39 PM
So excited!! Final starts in 20 minutes from now! I hope it's going to be a great match! And of course I hope my team will win the World Cup! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Still 0-0 after 40 minutes....
In my opinion Argentina is playing very good; I hope that Löwe (trainer Germany) didn't underestimate those Argentinians......

GO GO GO GERMANY GO GO GO

Kirsten
07-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Yes, I think this is their strongest performance throughout this tournament. Hard for my team, I hope they'll still make it.

RICHARD
07-13-2014, 04:39 PM
La bola no reuda mas! Los miramos en Rusia, 2018!!!!!!

Kirsten
07-13-2014, 04:40 PM
YAY, YAY, YAY, WE DID IT!!!

Fireworks outside!! This country will celebrate tonight!!

Karen
07-13-2014, 04:42 PM
YAY, YAY, YAY, WE DID IT!!!

Fireworks outside!! This country will celebrate tonight!!

Hee hee congratulations to all of Germany, especially of course you, Luna and Lily, as I am sure it was your rooting them on that helped them prevail!

lizbud
07-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Congratulations Germany.:):) You have a great team.:)

phesina
07-13-2014, 05:24 PM
HOORAY, GERMANY!!!!! WELL DONE!!!

Karen is right, Kirsten.. it was you and Lily and Luna who inspired your team on to greatness!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
07-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Yay germany!:d:d:d

RICHARD
07-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Interesing....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/does-germany-get-to-keep-the-world-cup-001837145.html

Karen
07-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Understandable with a value that high - perhaps the next one they make, they can cast it out of a less costly metal, of have two versions made - a tin one for handing around, and a silver or gold one for the permanent, well-guarded display!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-14-2014, 06:04 AM
This was a well deserved Cup!!!
Congrats to you Kirsten and to al Germans!!
I always watch the ceremony too! It is so special to see everybody of the German team rise that precious worldcup in the air, after kisting it of course!!!
Welldone !!

Kirsten
07-14-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm still overwhelmed! Barely slept last night. Was heading downtown when the match was over, trying to take pictures and make videos. Of course they didn't turn out well since it was dark (it was close to midnight when the match was over).

Here are a few impressions; party in my hometown:

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10523474_10203804468859623_6519990883510298610_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10401465_10203804492420212_3636177847045373059_n.j pg

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10513408_10203804456899324_6069497619089299117_n.j pg

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10513295_10203804482659968_6293622651061277714_n.j pg

smokey the elder
07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Congratulations, Germany! First victory as a unified country, and first European victory anywhere in the Americas!

Kirsten
07-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Congratulations, Germany! First victory as a unified country, and first European victory anywhere in the Americas!

Yes, that's right. The last time Germany won the World Cup, the Berlin wall had already fallen, but the country was not yet reunited (that happened three months later).

Today, I watched a footage of the team's celebration after the match (I missed that yesterday as I went downtown to take pics), and I really think that was so heartwarming! It was nice to finally see Bastian Schweinsteiger smiling (he always looked so depressed lately). And some of the players brought their kids who celebrated with them which was so cute! I really think we have a great team! :love:

BTW, I put all the footage that I filmed last night into one video clip; it's here:

Party in my Hometown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3VIzAOmlB0)

(Beware, it's loud! lol)