PDA

View Full Version : A question about eggs

Freedom
06-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I wanted scrambled eggs. Broke the first one into the bowl, fine. Broke the second one and . . . it was as if the yolk had been hard boiled? I've never seen this before.

In all, 4 of them, all right together in the dozen egg carton, had this hard yolk. I put them all down the garbage disposal. Checked the date on the carton, June 9, so they 'should' be ok. The 5th one was OK and I had my eggs.

Anyone ever seen this? What's it mean?

Karen
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
I wanted scrambled eggs. Broke the first one into the bowl, fine. Broke the second one and . . . it was as if the yolk had been hard boiled? I've never seen this before.

In all, 4 of them, all right together in the dozen egg carton, had this hard yolk. I put them all down the garbage disposal. Checked the date on the carton, June 9, so they 'should' be ok. The 5th one was OK and I had my eggs.

Anyone ever seen this? What's it mean?

I have never seen this, nor heard of it! I will check with my chicken show folks, but that one is a new one on me! I would have returned them to the store, with a sample in a ziplock for them to investigate.

mon
06-05-2014, 12:46 PM
My guess is they were stored improperly before they were put in the carton, got overheated and the yolk cooked. Oh, but the whites would cook to then eh? Never mind:D

RICHARD
06-05-2014, 02:21 PM
I took a bunch of eggs out of the carton and placed then into a container I had. Some of the eggs ended up against the side of the bowl that was in contact with the wall of the fridge.

They ended up solidifying (yolk) because the got too cold. I cracked one open and thought it was strange, I pulled out another and held it in my hand and it was colder than the other that were on the other side of the bowl.

They were OK after I left them out

cassiesmom
06-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Did someone mention eggs? I was reminded of one of my favorite PT posts ever...

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?97778-How-do-you-boil-eggs&highlight=how+boil+eggs

Freedom
06-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Finally, my day is slowing down, and I got back to this.

Seems like Richard has it correct, the eggs got too cold. Since the 4 I had were 2 in each row of the carton, I don't think that happened in my fridge, but before I bought them. And, from what I could find, they would have been OK to eat, but obviously not ok for scrambled eggs, lol. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!

pomtzu
06-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Yes - I've had that happen when they get too cold, too. I always keep something behind the carton or container of eggs to prevent them from getting too close to the back wall of the fridge, as it seems this is the only time it happens. They are perfectly good to use - such as in baking or cake or whatever.

Karen
06-06-2014, 11:30 AM
It makes sense when you think about it - all the fat content of the egg is in the yolk, and that hardens at a higher temperature than water - just think how hard a stick of butter gets in the fridge, but water is still pourable!

Vette
06-19-2014, 08:16 AM
I haven encountered this yet either.

an yeah.. now im getting something to eat. bye guys LOL