PDA

View Full Version : How to convince my parents to get another dog?

JessieandTango
06-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi! It's a week until my birthday and I want a new German shepherd puppy so bad. We already have a shep and a mini schnauzer, but the schnauzer is old and about to pass and the shep is my moms, who never trained him so he's wild and can't go on walks and such, and sleeps in her room. I want a puppy of my own, that I will actually train and take everywhere with me... She keeps saying "We already have a dog!" And I'm like "No...you have a dog that no one can do anything with..." So I need some help here. How do I get them to agree? Thanks!!!

Karen
06-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Aww, I would not pressure your parents right now, but look up dogs in shelters near you, and check pet finder.com and see if there are any shepherds in rescue you could show them. But before a nw puppy comes into the mix, how old is your mother's dog? How old are you? Will you be going off to college in a few years? And if you mother's dog is untrained, bringing a puppy into the household is certainly not going to make it any better!

Besides these issues, can you take on more responsibility around the house to show them you could care for a puppy? Can you try working with you mom's dog at all?

lolli94
06-06-2014, 09:43 AM
can you take on more responsibility around the house to show them you could care for a puppy? Can you try working with you mom's dog at all?

I agree with Karen. Work with your mom's dog. See how much you can get done by your next birthday, and maybe by then they will be ready to consider it! And your mom's dog may bond with you :)

Vette
06-09-2014, 08:06 AM
I agree with what Karen said as well. an maybe... try starting smaller? as a friend of mine wanted a dog really bad but her parents kept saying no. so she asked for a goldfish one day. after 3months she said look,, i can keep a fish healthy an alive,, i could a dog too. they caved an let her chose a dog from a shelter