PDA

View Full Version : Chemical-free???

Karen
05-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Don;t you love when companies try to market things as "chemical-free"? Like all the earth and everything in it is not made up of "chemicals"? Carbon is a chemical, folks, water is Hydrogen DiOxide - we are comprised of chemicals ...

I just got an email from the compounding pharmacy where I get my allergy drugs made for "skin care day" that touts "chemical free make-up" - what they don't realize is I bet my skin would react horribly to all the products they are selling!

smokey the elder
05-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Actually water is dihydrogen monoxide (H2O). What you described is HO2, which is a peroxide ion. (Sorry, I'm a chemist and had to fix this.)

Anyway, chemophobia is a bad thing. The problem is the scientific illiteracy. I know there are a lot of $5 words on food labels. If you were to describe each and every organic molecule found in your basic banana by its official name it would look even worse!:D

Karen
05-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Actually water is dihydrogen monoxide (H2O). What you described is HO2, which is a peroxide ion. (Sorry, I'm a chemist and had to fix this.)

Anyway, chemophobia is a bad thing. The problem is the scientific illiteracy. I know there are a lot of $5 words on food labels. If you were to describe each and every organic molecule found in your basic banana by its official name it would look even worse!:D

Whoops, I knew that! Thanks for the correction! ;) Serves me rights for posting while annoyed!

RICHARD
05-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Two places not to drive angrily, surface streets and the info superhighway..:confused:

Lady's Human
05-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Don;t you love when companies try to market things as "chemical-free"? Like all the earth and everything in it is not made up of "chemicals"? Carbon is a chemical, folks, water is Hydrogen DiOxide - we are comprised of chemicals ...

I just got an email from the compounding pharmacy where I get my allergy drugs made for "skin care day" that touts "chemical free make-up" - what they don't realize is I bet my skin would react horribly to all the products they are selling!

I prefer my purchases to be made from quantum foam with none of those messy sub-atomic particles like electrons, protons a neutrons to worry about.

smokey the elder
05-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Where's a"like" button when you need one! :D

RICHARD
05-30-2014, 12:39 PM
I prefer my purchases to be made from quantum foam with none of those messy sub-atomic particles like electrons, protons a neutrons to worry about.

My favorite commercial is the "Most Interesting Man in the World" (dos equis beer) and his take on Memory Foam Mattresses....

His line? "there are some things a mattress should not remember......."