PDA

View Full Version : Spring = bugs?

Karen
05-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I was mentioning a couple weeks ago how I liked spring days that were warm enough to play outside without a coat on, but no mosquitos yet. I saw some footage of "spring" in a more northern country, when there were bugs buzzing around everywhere, and realized that's what signals Spring for them.

Do you get lots of bugs in spring where you are?

Randi
05-08-2014, 12:58 PM
We may be lucky over here, we don't get many, but that may be because I'm in a city. However, we get mosquitoes late summer, and also bees. Mosquitoes are usually near water, though.

Litterati
05-08-2014, 03:57 PM
What I seem to be getting recently are teeny flies on window. They can't come inside as screen is in place. It's still chilly at night so I need to close window, thus trapping these flies. Yet when I re-open window and will them to set themselves free, some seem to just want to hang around. :rolleyes:

snakemama
05-08-2014, 06:08 PM
It's tick season here, whoopee.... -_-

Freedom
05-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Karen, I read this post but didn't reply. Drove to Methuen yesterday afternoon. Had the door to the fenced back yard open all afternoon so the dogs could come and go because, you are so right, NO BUGS! I hadn't realized this before! I would never consider this in, say, August, when all manner of insects would be flying in.

I spent the afternoon putting down 7 bags of lime, 5 bags of milorganite, 1 bag each of GrubX and Bug B Gone, one bag of starter fertilizer which I found in the garage (no idea how old THAT is, may not be active any longer), and a 20 pound bag of grass seed. So funny as the pups were racing back and forth, in and out, so they could watch me from windows, and the fenced area. And I was in and out of the fenced area with the spreader with each different product. So they loved having the door OPEN!

pomtzu
05-10-2014, 07:57 AM
I encountered my first mosquito a couple of days ago. The bees, wasps and flys are already prolific, and those damn gnats are terrible already. They are in abundance and most bothersome in the early evening, and I hate to even go outside then. They fly in your face - up your nose ----- aaarrgghh ! :mad: Since Wolfy has to be walked, I have no choice but to go out, but I make that time the shortest outing of the day.

Karen
05-10-2014, 01:43 PM
I encountered my first mosquito a couple of days ago. The bees, wasps and flys are already prolific, and those damn gnats are terrible already. They are in abundance and most bothersome in the early evening, and I hate to even go outside then. They fly in your face - up your nose ----- aaarrgghh ! :mad: Since Wolfy has to be walked, I have no choice but to go out, but I make that time the shortest outing of the day.

Oooh, I hope climate change doesn't bring those up here!

Lady's Human
05-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Gnat's habitat range includes all habitable land areas. You don't notice them living in the city.