PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Freya!

wolflady
04-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Even though it's been only a few months since Malachi has left us, we felt the time was right to try an introduce a new friend for Phinehas since he's been super clingy. I just hope this new kitty adjusts and accepts Phinehas as I'm sure he'll accept her.

We went to Dayton yesterday to meet the new kitty at a cat show and bring her home. She's an oriental longhair who was retired and spayed late last year. She's four years old, so I'm hopeful she'll come out of her shell and help make Phinehas more active. She's still pretty scared, so I am keeping her in the "cat room" right now until she starts to feel a little more comfortable.

For people who have introduced cats, how often should I go in the room to visit with her? I don't want to frighten her, but I want her to get used to me as well. I have the pheromone plugins to help keep both kitties calm and I also have some calming spray as well which I spray a bit when I go into the room.

Here she is, still looking a bit scared:

phesina
04-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Oh my goodness.. What a BEAUTY!!!

Welcome, Freya, to your new HOME!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

catmandu
04-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Hello New Friend Freya , we are the Found Hotel Cats!!
Be not afraid as you are in a very good place with a very good best friend. Congratulations Freya for winning your FurrEver Home!!!:love::love::love:

mbsmum
04-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Freya is gorgeous, a beauty indeed!!!

Taz_Zoee
04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
She is a beauty! Welcome to a wonderful home Freya. Once you get comfortable you'll enjoy your new brother. :)

As for the question of how often to go visit her, I'm not an expert, but I'd say as often as you'd like. You know how to tell if she is stressed out or not liking the company. Just take it easy and read her signs. IMO I would think the more often you visit the faster she'll get used to you and become more comfortable.

Karen
04-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Aww, I agree, as often as you can, and if you have some reading or something else you can bring in with you, that would be great, just being in there, spending time so she can get used to you, your scent, your voice ...

cassiesmom
04-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Hello, beautiful Freya! What a lovely lady you are! It is very nice to meet you today, welcome home and welcome to PT! :love: :love:

Hi, Phinehas, sweet boy! (((HUGS))) I hope you will have loads of fun with your new kitty-sister!

smokey the elder
04-28-2014, 01:37 PM
I think if you go in bearing offerings like treats, catnip or toys she'll warm up to you pretty quick! She's a beautiful cat.

krazyaboutkatz
04-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Congrats!!!:) She sure is gorgeous.:) I would also try to just sit in the room as often as you can. If she likes catnip then maybe bring in some catnip toys or you can even get the catnip spray and spray it on toys or cat trees. Treats are also a great idea. Just take things slow and I'm sure that she'll become much more comfortable in her new home. Good luck with the introductions too and please post more pictures when you can.:)

Grace
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
I agree with the others - go into her room, sit down and read her a book, magazine, newspaper - whatever you're in the mood to read for yourself. She'll get used to your presence, and your voice.

Progress can be made with small steps :love:

And she is gorgeous :)

Catty1
04-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Freya is stunning! I look forward to watching as she warms up and becomes a lovey cat! :love:

snakemama
04-29-2014, 11:23 PM
She is very very beautiful! Welcome home Freya!

kaycountrygal
04-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Hello Pretty Girl, Welcome to your new home and PetTalk. I'm not an expert but I would spend as much time as possible with her. That's what I'm doing with my new kitten. Yes, as others have said, read to her, talk to her, call her by name, rub her, hold her, play with her, feed her and get her used to your voice and your smell. Go in her room often and stay as long as you can and just get comfy and enjoy each other.

wolflady
05-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone! Things actually are not going so well. The day I took the picture of her, was the only day I have even seen her. She has since taken to hiding behind the washer and dryer because I guess she discovered she could squeeze back there. I didn't think it was possible for anything to fit there, but apparently a cat can. I haven't had this happen with any of my other cats, so am a bit disappointed. I go into the room every day and leave treats and read to her. I don't know what else I can do, especially if I can't get her out to be petted but there's no hint of her coming out when anyone is in that room. :( I know she must come out when everyone is sleeping because her food and treats are gone and the litter box is used when I check in the morning. I did email her original cat mom who said that it may take awhile because she was born and lived with her for 4 years, so that's all she has known, so it's certainly an adjustment.
Do cats that take to hiding eventually come out? I can't even reach back there to pull her out, so I don't know what else to do. :confused:

Karen
05-02-2014, 11:12 AM
She will come out eventually, give it time - we have had several cat of the Day stories over the years that say sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes longer,m but when they do emerge, it is so worth the wait!

cassiesmom
05-05-2014, 04:10 PM
I hope things are going better with lovely Freya! :love:

wolflady
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Still no cat :( It's over 1 week now and she's still hiding. She uses the beds I have in the cat room (there's telltale clumps of grey fur lining them all now), but I know as soon as she hears me turn the door knob, she jumps down and hides. I'm getting quite discouraged since the idea was for me to have a companion for Phinehas and another playmate for Sylvia. At this rate, I don't know if that will even be possible and maybe we made the wrong decision? I thought I had asked all the right questions of her cat meowmie and gave details about what I was looking for in terms of a new kitty and she thought it would work out. I feel like a failure on this one so far - I haven't dealt with a cat like this before. All of my kitties have been friendly and have never hidden from me, so I don't know what else I can do. I still go in several times a day to read her some chapters from a book so she can at least get used to my voice. I also leave treats but don't know what else there is to do. I am giving it another week, but if she doesn't come out, I feel like maybe I should email her original meowmie again to see what she thinks and maybe it wasn't the right fit. I feel bad about that, but it just seems her personality isn't a very social one. :(

wolflady
06-07-2014, 08:45 AM
I just had to update everyone that Freya is coming out of her shell and getting more comfortable with us. :D I'm learning more about her purrsonality as she is about ours. I'm so so happy she's finally opening up to us! She's coming out more and developing her "favorite spots". She even slept on the bed with me and Phinehas the other night! :)
She is so incredibly silky soft! It took awhile, but so glad that effort has paid off! Here is the princess looking more relaxed on her favorite couch...:love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Freya is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!!:love:

Catty1
06-07-2014, 10:18 AM
She is absolutely stunning! I am so glad she is settling down and letting herself be loved on.:):love:

phesina
06-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Oh, Freya! Not only are you stunningly gorgeous, you look so much more relaxed and content in your Furrrever HOME!

Karen
06-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Awww! Good to see her so relaxed and comfortable enough to be doing "up periscope" and looking around instead of being scared and hiding!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=58238&d=1402148740

mon
06-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Freya is hopelessly beautiful!

krazyaboutkatz
06-07-2014, 06:29 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D She looks so beautiful. I'm so glad that you didn't give up on her. I hope things will continue to go well.:)

mrspunkysmom
06-07-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm glad she is coming out of her shell. She is still stunningly beautiful.

cassiesmom
06-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Hello, gorgeous Freya! What a silky, beautiful coat you have and those amazing green eyes!

Freckles
06-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Her expression is so much softer than her first picture. :)

shais_mom
06-09-2014, 11:39 PM
she's so pretty!! I'm glad you persevered! well worth it! :D

wolflady
06-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Thanks all! It was definitely worth it! She really is a very sweet and soft kitty! She's a jumper for sure, which I know hubby isn't too thrilled about - but it's all in a cats nature. I'm so glad she's more at ease now. :) Phinehas and Freya are so cute together! They aren't cuddlers, but maybe in time they will be. I do catch them playing together, which is great! :)

phesina
06-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Oh, what good news, in such a lovely story altogether!

Misty_Pearl
06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Orientals are beautiful cats. They are one of my faves. Freya is stunning.

wolflady
06-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks all! She just gets more lovable every day! I currently have a "helper" here while I'm working. This is the view I have at the moment...

Here are a couple from yesterday :)

Karen
06-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks all! She just gets more lovable every day! I currently have a "helper" here while I'm working. This is the view I have at the moment...

We *knew* she'd come around!

phesina
06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Oh, Freya love, you're just so comfortable now, completely at HOME!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-14-2014, 07:12 AM
I am so happy she finally opened up to you!!
But how is she achting towards "strengers"? I bet she still hides as she hears the doorbell?

cassiesmom
06-18-2014, 06:38 PM
This is so cute! Hi, Freya!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=58248&d=1402496041

wolflady
06-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks all! :) Yes, she's still leery of the other two-leggers that come through the home, but I'm sure she'll get used to them eventually - especially my parents who visit the most. She still runs from Sylvia too since she can be a little over enthusiastic, but in time I'm sure she'll forge a sweet bond with her like she has with Phinehas :)

I just went looking for the kitties and found them lounging on my bed - such a tough life! LOL :p

wolflady
07-03-2014, 10:03 AM
The other day, my baby girl came to me and said "I'm stinky, let's go change diaper" so we went upstairs to her bedroom to change her diaper and this is what I found...

So funny! These two are finding all kinds of places to cuddle up...I love it! Of course, my bed seems to be the favorite...

Catty1
07-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I think Freya is getting even more out of Phinehas' companionship than Phinehas is getting from Freya's. What a win-win!:D:love::love:

kaycountrygal
07-03-2014, 11:39 AM
How wonderful! I'm happy for ALL of you!

phesina
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Oh, how BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

manda_moo87
07-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Wow... she is STUNNING! :love:

mbsmum
07-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Freya is beautifulllllllllllll

cassiesmom
10-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Wolflady, I saw your post from earlier today on another thread, so I wanted to ask - how are the beautiful Freya and Phinehas doing? :D