PDA

View Full Version : Update on rescue litter, rat kittens :)

luckies4me
12-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Ok, here are new pictures of the rescue litter from my double rex doe. I just took these pictures this morning. Can you find the dumbos? :)

They are one week old now. So much bigger and cuter than pinkies. :D Sadly, we lost a doe, it was dumbo too. :( She was a topaz and so pretty. She was the runt and even though I took the other babies out and let her nurse on her own, she was just too weak. But the others are doing wonderful! Enjoy the pics.

P.S. I will post pics of the rescued older babies today too, they look soooooo much better now!

luckies4me
12-15-2002, 01:19 PM
:)

luckies4me
12-15-2002, 01:21 PM
:) This is the last one, lol.

nsweezie
12-16-2002, 08:21 AM
My goodness, they are so tiny!
I had a pet mouse years ago, and the little rats remind me of the babies the mouse had.
How long before they get fur?
And how long do they nurse?

luckies4me
12-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Yep they are tiny, they are only a week and two days old. They don't open their eyes until the 14th day. As for fur, these guys look as if they might be some hairless, so in that case, no fur lol. Usually around now it start comming in. They are weaned at 5 weeks of age, with boys sometimes taken out earlier to avoid inpregnating siblings and the mother, and does usually stay with the mother for 6 weeks, when both the bucks and does go t their new homes. They start nibbling solids at two weeks, and I offer them things like baby food and KMR. Around this time they start learning how to drink out of the water bottle also. It is so neat to watch them grow from tiny pinkies into cute little hoppers. It's really amazing!:)