PDA

View Full Version : My new smart phone has a boo-boo.... :(

Catty1
04-18-2014, 09:09 AM
:( I dropped it in a shallow puddle at a shopping mall yesterday (it fell out of a compartment in my purse).

Got it home several hours later - removed the SIM, battery etc and buried it in rice overnight.

Reassembled it this morning, and it's like yesterday. Everything works except the touchscreen!

I replaced the plastic cover on the screen that had become wet. Lots of air bubbles to smooth out.

Ideas? THANKS! :love::)

Karen
04-18-2014, 12:28 PM
:( I dropped it in a shallow puddle at a shopping mall yesterday (it fell out of a compartment in my purse).

Got it home several hours later - removed the SIM, battery etc and buried it in rice overnight.

Reassembled it this morning, and it's like yesterday. Everything works except the touchscreen!

I replaced the plastic cover on the screen that had become wet. Lots of air bubbles to smooth out.

Ideas? THANKS! :love::)

Is it under warranty? Does the screen light up, and just not respond to touch? What brand/maker is it?

Catty1
04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
It's a Lexus 4. The digitizer plastic I removed. Everything works except the touchscreen (even with the digitizer plastic back on, though I can sweep a bit from the top).

It's hard to find a place open on Good Friday. One place charges $189 to replace the screen and digitizer. That's more than I paid for the phone.

Guess I'll have to get another phone. :(

Karen
04-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Wait another day, there still may be moisture in there.

Catty1
04-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Karen.

I have contacted a couple of repair places but with this being a holiday weekend I won't hear for a couple of days.

You have a point - I mean, the phone rings and behaves well, but just the durn touchscreen won't work.

I have it charging right now...is that a good idea?

Thanks again. :)

Catty1
04-20-2014, 10:24 AM
OK - I got a phone from a good friend - bought it. A Blackberry Torch 8900.

After not being told to enter the unlock code twice on the same attempt, I unlocked it with one try to go!

Now it says "invalid SIM card". I did change a few functions on it like time and date and shut it down. I restarted it and it came up TELUS (the previous provider) and asked me if I wanted to unlock the phone!!!! GRRRR!

I don't know how to shift it over to Virgin Mobile. This is one of the phones they support.

This will be a looooong day....