PDA

View Full Version : Meet my new little boy

kaycountrygal
04-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Sunday
April 13 2014

Meet my little orange boy.

You folks were not very good at talking me out of getting a kitten LOL.

I called neighbors & searched in my country area & would you believe there were no kittens at all available at this time. Also I was looking for an orange kitten, one I can see easily. Got several responses of in 3-4 weeks I should have some kittens but not usually orange...but I couldn't wait that long, could I? Then I looked at local newspapers and very few if any kittens were listed. Then it hit me--craigslist-- and that is where I found my baby boy. I missed out on 2 orange kittens two days ago but yesterday I found ad for kitten needing a good home & his photo was beautiful (see below). I emailed and the woman chose me out of five responses & today I picked up my baby boy at Lowes Home Improvement. No, he wasn't part of a decorating section. It's just where his previous owner and I met to make the exchange.

I haven't named him yet because I want to wait to see what his personality is like and maybe I'll come up with a name that just naturally comes to mind. We've been home 45" and Sissy has barely stopped barking. At the moment I have boy in wire cage so Sissy & LilGirl can see & smell him. LilGirl is taking it very calmnly but Sissy is out of breath from barking. Meanwhile boy is really good at climbing the wire crate. First I took boy to kitchen to see if he wanted any water or to use litter box--no to each. He is so cute I think.

Wish me luck tonight and the next few days/weeks... Kay

Taz_Zoee
04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Heehee, I got so excited when I saw this thread. Woo hoo! And sorry, I was one of the people that didn't talk you out of it. And boy am I glad. He is soooo adorable!!! I look forward to watching him grow up and hear of his adventures with Sissy and LilGirl.
Welcome to a wonderful home little one. :D

Randi
04-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Aww, he's adorable! :love: So glad you got him. :)

Queen of Poop
04-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Oh my goodness, he's so cute! Have fun with him.

phesina
04-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh, you are just adorable, little boy! Welcome HOME!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
04-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Oh my goodness, extreme cuteness alert! What a darling orange and white little boy! Hello, sweet kitten!

Karen
04-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Paul said "that's a scared kitten" and I told him that was probably the photo from Craigslist! Looks like a Bob(cat) to me!

chocolatepuppy
04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Oh my gosh! What a cutie! :love: Good luck! It will all work out.

pomtzu
04-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Adorable to the max! :love: Welcome to your wonderful new home, little one. :) I'm certain that you will be very spoiled. :D

Asiel
04-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Don't know much about cats but I do recognize a sweet little kitten when I see one. Love the orange colour.

Catty1
04-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Cute warning needed! I hope everything goes smoothly. He is gorgeous.

Freedom
04-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Oh my, still got his baby blue eyes! How old is he, Kay?

You sure do have some fun ahead of you, with a kitten in the house! Lots different than a mature cat, ha haaa.

Has Sissy stopped barking yet?

This so reminded me of my "Baby Chestnut," who also still had his blue eyes when I got him (in a PetCo parking lot). Orangies are great! (I've had 2).

smokey the elder
04-14-2014, 10:27 AM
If he's got blue eyes he's less than 6 weeks old. You might want to supplement his food with KMR for a couple more weeks. Good luck with the sweet baby!

mbsmum
04-14-2014, 11:26 AM
The little looks too cute to be true. Good luck and lots and lots happy years ahead.

Animalhouse26
04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
aww Very cute! I Love orange tabbys myself :)

catmandu
04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Would you please consider Michael as that was the name of my Mister Purr , My Dream Cat who became and Angel in his 21st year.
He would be such a Great Guardian Angel for your little Creamsicle Kitten:love::love::love:If you google Michael the Dream Cat Found Cat Hotel Photos, you will see Michael in all his glory.

kaycountrygal
04-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Tues, Apr 15 2014
Hello Everyone,
I thank all of you for your sweet comments. I appreciate the offer to name him Michael but I've decided to name him George because he is curious and can climb anything like a monkey. He is 7 weeks old today--born 2.25.14. Maybe his eyes will stay blue??

Perhaps you noticed I was not online much at all yesterday. I didn't get much sleep Sunday night; it was a bit better last night. At night little George is in my bedroom/bed and he sure can climb. Nothing stops him so he gets in the bed & sleeps near my ear & neck (hot for me but I let him do it). First though he wants to play & I had forgotten how sharp little toenails and teeth can be. These past two days have been exhausting with him and the pups, especially Sissy.

George is one calm kitten though and not afraid of anything--very well adjusted. He uses his litter boxes like a champ. He's very quiet when he meows which isn't that often; he's a sweet boy. Here's photo(s) I took this morning.

Here I go: Sissy is not cooperating at all with her constant barking at George. We've done the smelling thing several times. Sissy just acts as if she wants to get to him and do something. While she's barking, her tail is wagging but I don't trust her not to hurt George. I will not leave Sissy and George in the same room unless someone is holding Sissy.

LilGirl practically ignores George unless he gets too close. He is so fast & yesterday he suddenly was near LilGirl who jumped up & barked at him but that was it--not like Sissy.

ok, that's my report. I hope you all don't get tired of my "reports". It's been 12 yrs since I had a kitten. He is a sweetie and purrs like a train:).....Kay

mon
04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
George it is then! Wonderful name, what a sweetheart. Wonderful, fearless Georgie boy. Little bit jealous here ;)

Karen
04-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Kittens' eyes usually change between 7-9 weeks, so we will see what happens! And of course we think (curious) George is a fine name, why a Prince of a name indeed!

katladyd
04-15-2014, 12:57 PM
George is just too cute for words! He sounds like a handful and also extremely intelligent. Most orangies usually are. My Mac would belong to Mensa if he was a human being. Give that little cutie loves and pets from me!:love::love:

snakemama
04-15-2014, 01:31 PM
He is SO darling!! And I've raised foster kittens who looked just like he did at 7 weeks, so he's probably just a slow grower, which means you get to enjoy extra time with kitten cute! :love::love:

phesina
04-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Awwwwww!!! Little Prince George!!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

lizbud
04-16-2014, 10:58 AM
What a doll baby.:love::love: He almost looks like a toy kitty, he looks so perfect.:) Hello there little George.:love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-16-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm so in love with little George :love::love::love: he is so adorable!!!

kaycountrygal
04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Thur, Apr 17 2014
Hi Folks, You all are too kind, so sweet to little George and me. When I named him, I did not think of baby Prince George but that's ok because he's cute too:). Both are sweet!

In the household we're still adjusting to George. I must say a flyswatter is a marvelous invention for helping Sissy to stop barking all the time. I swatted at her one time (did not touch her) but that made an impression. Now when she starts the barking I show her the flyswatter. Actually I put a string on the handle and have it around my neck. Once in awhile LilGirl acts perturbed but gradually I think they are adjusting to George. I'll be so glad when all settle down because it is a job to keep watch all the time and not leave all 3 alone in the same room without supervision. Oh well, I asked for it, didn't it?

Yesterday I took George to my vet for a checkup and got some supplies. Shortly before I got him, he had been to a vet for his first vaccine and had one worming so I have to wait awhile before his 2d shot and more worming. Naturally all the techs know me from my pups and Luke and were thrilled and surprised that I got a kitten. I told 'em I was going through my second childhood LOL.

ok, that's my report for now.... Kay

Barbara
04-17-2014, 12:32 PM
I saw that thread and had my thoughts... And now I am very glad you gave that adorable little baby a home- he is more than cute:)

Karen
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Aww, glad to hear he is doing well! And of course the vets were charmed by him!

sirrahbed
04-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Oh my!!! what a cute kitten your George is. I am convinced that orangie males have the very best purrsonalities. It seems to me that we once did a PT poll or thread and discovered that orange males do have some genetics that are good natured and calm :) It will be great fun to watch George grow up!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-19-2014, 02:54 PM
He is so adorable!!! Bet he will soon have Sissy wrapped around his paws!!! She just considers him an intruder at this point. When she learns he is gonna stay, hopefully, she will calm down.

Congratulations!!! :D:love:

pomtzu
04-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Kay - I'll bet soon that Sissy will be running and playing with him, and with all the energy that they both have, it will sound like a stampede running thru the house. Wolfy loves his kitty playmates, and Luke is just as rough and tumble as Wolfy is. This morning Wolfy got a little too rambunctious tho, and was trying to drag Luke around by his ear. Needless to say, Wolfy took a paw full of Luke's claws to his nose. :eek::p They keep me laughing tho. :D

kaycountrygal
04-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Apr 24 2014
Hello Folks,
I have a kitten food question & a progress report. I could put the food question on Cat Health but I want to keep all of George in one place for awhile if it's ok, sort of like a Journal I guess.

First, I cannot believe the progress that the pups & George have made with each other. In a way it seems as if George has been here for months rather than since April 13. Sissy Pom & George actually play together (sort of chase each other) while LilGirl watches. Yes, Sissy has stopped that incessant barking & LilGirl doesn't growl at him nearly as much. Also I feel safe now for George to be alone with both of them as he has showed that he can protect himself if necessary & the pups aren't scared of him any more. George is no longer in my bed but now stays in the den with Sissy at night & I've brought LilGirl back to my bedroom. Little George is a sweetie with his purring & good personality but his claws & teeth HURT me when he played at night while I was trying to sleep.

Now here's my kitten food question. What is a good dry kitten food? I'm thinking Grain Free & perhaps Blue Buffalo Wilderness. When I got George he was on some kind of dry CAT food (not kitten I think) & I have been gradually giving him Purina Kitten mixed with his old food. Ever since I got him his stools have been very soft & sometimes diarrhea. I took him back to vet & got some Metro, some packs of probiotic, & some Hill's A/D canned food at $2.30/can. I can feed him that for awhile but don't want to have to take out a loan to feed him LOL. He is a little pig in the eating department--a can a day. I'm gradually adding the Purina kitten food but I'm not sure it agrees with George. I hate to buy many bags of different food because it's expensive for trial & error so I'd like to find one at the start that is good for him.

What do you all think of Dry Blue Buffalo Wilderness-Kitten? Do you think it will help with his soft stools? Do we agree that Grain Free is better than with grain?

BTW as of today 4.24, his eyes are still blue.
Thanks.... Kay

krazyaboutkatz
04-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Congrats!:D You sure picked a very cute little kitten and you can never go wrong with an orangie.:) I know I haven't been here in a while but when I read about him, I just had to take the time to read this thread and make a comment. From my experience, most of my kittens have had some loose stools. I would try to feed him a grain free diet if possible. There are a lot more to choose from now. Good luck and please keep the pictures coming.:)

kaycountrygal
04-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Apr 25 2014
Here's my kitten food question. What is a good dry kitten food? I'm thinking Grain Free & perhaps Blue Buffalo Wilderness. When I got George he was on some kind of dry CAT food (not kitten I think) & I have been gradually giving him Purina Kitten mixed with his old food. Ever since I got him his stools have been very soft & sometimes diarrhea. I took him back to vet & got some Metro, some packs of probiotic, & some Hill's A/D canned food at $2.30/can. I can feed him that for awhile but don't want to have to take out a loan to feed him LOL. He is a little pig in the eating department--a can a day. I'm gradually adding the Purina kitten food but I'm not sure it agrees with George. I hate to buy many bags of different food because it's expensive for trial & error so I'd like to find one at the start that is good for him.

What do you all think of Dry Blue Buffalo Wilderness-Kitten? Do you think it will help with his soft stools? Do we agree that Grain Free is better than with grain?

Here's some photos taken Apr 23 2014. I do enjoy taking closeup pics of George with his blue eyes but would enjoy also if/when they turn green. In the future I hope to have some videos to show up of George and Sissy Pom playing.... Kay

Catty1
04-25-2014, 12:14 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>>>>>>>>THUNK!!!!

Fell over from cuteness overload! :D:love::love:

George looks like he may have little brown or ginger smudges on either side of his nose as he gets older.

What a doll. I am glad the dogs are settling so well with him.:love::love:

snakemama
04-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Wilderness kitten is an excellent food, though it's rich and therefore I odn't know if it would help with the soft stools or not. An increase in the fat content of the food is a common culprit for diarrhea, and most grain free kitten foods are pretty darn fatty. I'm surprised the A/D agreed with him since it's ridiculously fatty...if that's agreeing with him then the wilderness just might too!

kaycountrygal
04-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Wilderness kitten is an excellent food, though it's rich and therefore I odn't know if it would help with the soft stools or not. An increase in the fat content of the food is a common culprit for diarrhea, and most grain free kitten foods are pretty darn fatty. I'm surprised the A/D agreed with him since it's ridiculously fatty...if that's agreeing with him then the wilderness just might too!

Thanks for your response. With the A/D his stool is still soft, not really formed the way I think it should be. I think the actual diarrhea has stopped but he still has soft stool. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between urine and bm in the cat litter box. The A/D is what the vet recommended but I don't know if it is what he needs. He's been on A/D since Mon 4.21. Maybe (and I don't know for sure) the metronidazole Benzoate is contributing to his soft stool; he took the last dose this morning. I hope he gets "normal" soon as he sure does use the litter boxes often either urinating or having a bm. Otherwise he seems perfectly ok--active, playful, and purring.

Randi
04-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Love the pics, he's so adorable. :love:

Have you checked this, it has reviews of cat food. Not sure it's also for kittens, but take a look!
http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

dehlers43
04-26-2014, 03:47 PM
How about a little bit of pumpkin? Helps make soft stools firmer and hard stools softer...it's the wonder squash!

maid25cats
04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I have never been owned by an Orangie
He is a Cutie
Glad they are all getting along

astrid
05-08-2014, 10:56 AM
awwwww!!!! what a cutie! :love:

snakemama
05-08-2014, 01:43 PM
How is his tummy? Did you find a food that agrees with him? :)

kaycountrygal
05-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks for asking about George. Yes, I'm feeding him EVO cat and Kitten canned food-no grain. He eats like a pig :). I'm trying to find him that exact food in the tall cans because it wont cost quite as much as these little 5 oz cans. I tried to order from Chewy and Wag but get "unavailable at this time". I hope it's just a temporary thing. There is an Innova food 95% meat that I might switch him to because I can find that in tall cans but it doesn't say "cat and kitten". I hate to change him though because he is doing good on Evo. He is growing like a weed LOL. So far, his eyes are still blue. He is the little boss of the house now.

snakemama
05-09-2014, 07:23 PM
That is an manufacturer thing with the big cans of Evo C&K being unavailable. Before I left my job we hadn't gotten it in months, and they still don't have it now. The Natura/P&G rep didn't have any ideas as to when it might be back in either. :/

wolflady
05-14-2014, 08:59 PM
OMG what a cutie patootie!!!! I have to agree with Tracey, you can't really go wrong with an orangie! Glad he's doing well and how cool are his eyes? :)