PDA

View Full Version : Mlb 2014

Lady's Human
04-01-2014, 07:16 AM
It's that time of year again.

The trucks have headed home to their stadii from spring training locales, and Opening day came in with a strange feeling, because the true Opening Day for America's pastime was in Australia? Huh?:confused:

In fine form, the Red Sox lost their opener to an AL East rival. I know the Red Sox have been successful the last few years, and they have a good team again, but as I'm a long suffering Red Sox fan, the thoughts of "Ah, well, wait until next year" are already coming to the fore.

(Oops, I know why they lost, Wally wasn't watching the game!!!!!)

cassiesmom
04-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Annnnnnd... it's the first day of the 2014 season, and the Cubs have already lost. (sigh) Please, Cubs, I don't want to go through another heartbreaking season.

On the other side of town ... It's the first day of the 2014 season! The weather cooperated for Opening Day, and the White Sox won :) Keep it up, Sox!

Baseball is returning to Chicago! Yay!

Lady's Human
04-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Sad to see that Don Baylor broke his femur catching the first pitch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/angels-hitting-coach-don-baylor-breaks-leg-on-ceremonial-first-pitch-070234256.html

He's always been a class act, I'm sure he'll be back. Get well soon, Don.

Karen
04-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Sad to see that Don Baylor broke his femur catching the first pitch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/angels-hitting-coach-don-baylor-breaks-leg-on-ceremonial-first-pitch-070234256.html

He's always been a class act, I'm sure he'll be back. Get well soon, Don.

Yowch!

I will forgive the Red Sox this first loss if they win the home opener ...

(who am I kidding, born and bred a Sox fan, we are an eternally forgiving (just cranky about it, sometimes) bunch ....)

cassiesmom
04-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Opening day 2014 at Wrigley Field! And ... the Cubs lost. :rolleyes:

Karen
04-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Opening day 2014 at Wrigley Field! And ... the Cubs lost. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Red Sox lost today, too - it was tied most of the game, this year's closing pitchers will have to do better as the season moves on!

RICHARD
04-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Time to play ball........

cassiesmom
04-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Time to play ball........

I don't think the Cubs have quite gotten that message yet :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
04-06-2014, 07:58 AM
A quick note to new followers of the game (particularly the Diamondbacks fans) and the writers at ESPN:

It's barely a week into a 162 game season.

The Diamondbacks are not allowed to panic despite a 1-7 start. That right is reserved for the fans of the Cubs and the Red Sox

smokey the elder
04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Where's a "like" button when you need one? "Only the Cubs and Red Sox fans are allowed to panic"...LOL!

Lady's Human
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
How dumb is Mr. Pineda?

First he gets ticketed for speeding at 90+ MPH then gets another ticket minutes later for 100+ mph.

Then a DUI

Then, after getting caught with pine tar on his hand in his last start for the Yankees against the Red Sox, he goes out last night and puts it on his neck in plain sight.

Sounds like a player who belongs in a glass box with a hammer outside that says" Break 5 minutes before gametime

Lady's Human
05-13-2014, 05:39 AM
The Red Sox need the pep talk from Major League II:

OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!

500 IN the division is fine. 500 against the rest of the league will get them in trouble.

Karen
05-13-2014, 12:36 PM
The Red Sox need the pep talk from Major League II:

OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!

500 IN the division is fine. 500 against the rest of the league will get them in trouble.

That always amuses me - hey two of something - wins or losses - happens, let's call it a streak or a trend or a slide ... way to hype everything, folks!

Karen
05-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Okay, just putting this out there - if the Red Sox were gonna have a 9-game losing streak, I am glad it is happening in May, and maybe we can avoid one happening in September/ And yes, I do think 9 games does justify the term streak. I was disappointed they lost tonight's game in 15 innings. Close doesn't count, folks.

Jessika
05-25-2014, 10:38 PM
That always amuses me - hey two of something - wins or losses - happens, let's call it a streak or a trend or a slide ... way to hype everything, folks!
The statistics and terminology they come up with in baseball ALWAYS amuses me... My dad and I make up our own statistics "Adam Wainwright has a 12-2 record of throwing strikes against left handed batters who are wearing red socks and orange helmets". I mean, some of these things are ridiculous haha.

RICHARD
05-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Whew,
What is in the water at Dodger Stadium?

--------

June's Playboy has an article/oral history about the Bosox. It's taken from the perspective of a handful of people - fans, writers and players. It was fun to read.

---------

In April I was able to go to an open house at Slugger Field, the home of the Red AAA farm club.

We got to walk thru the facilities and the into the dugout/clubhouse. During the tour I saw two signs in the dressing room that outlined the 'rules' about behavior in the CH, the dugout and on the field.
Some of the rules are common sense (Don't hit a player with a bat) to the kinda funny (Don't yell at the umpires).

Anyway, I would love to have a set of them for the man cave and was wondering if anyone had any info regarding who prints them, if they are available for purchase, etc.

I tried to contact the team and didn't get an answer back, I contacted the baseball HOF and they couldn't help me - I am going to email the office of the MiLB, but in the mean time I thought I'd try to ask the fans here on PT if they had any leads or info.

Thanks!

Lady's Human
05-27-2014, 10:55 PM
And the Red Sox manage to win 2 in a row......

Come on, guys match the losing streak!

RICHARD
05-31-2014, 11:11 AM
And the Red Sox manage to win 2 in a row......

Come on, guys match the losing streak!

I got a weird call last night.

A Florida Area Code?

It was a call from the Bosox dugout, They were running out of managers and wanted to know if I was available.;)

Karen
05-31-2014, 01:12 PM
I got a weird call last night.

A Florida Area Code?

It was a call from the Bosox dugout, They were running out of managers and wanted to know if I was available.;)

They were in Boston light night, silly! Yeah, it was entertaining seeing who they would place as manager next! I was very surprised Price was not ejected after his second hit batsman of the night.

And frankly, Mr. Price, if you are going to pick a fight with someone, it may not be smart to do with someone who is 6' 4" and 250 pounds - you may be 2 inches taller, but that does not make you a "bigger person" now, does it?

RICHARD
05-31-2014, 03:56 PM
They were in Boston light night, silly! Yeah, it was entertaining seeing who they would place as manager next! I was very surprised Price was not ejected after his second hit batsman of the night.

And frankly, Mr. Price, if you are going to pick a fight with someone, it may not be smart to do with someone who is 6' 4" and 250 pounds - you may be 2 inches taller, but that does not make you a "bigger person" now, does it?

I was laughing too hard at the highlights to notice.....sorry.

The CoolaCoo was probably next in line anyway?

Don't tell me Fenway don't have them?:eek:

http://www.coolacoo.com/

Lady's Human
05-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Nope, fenway franks!

Can they make it 6 in a row?

One might get the impression that TB and the Sox don't get along or something. The next hit batsman is going to cause a brawl, and the umpires aren't helping the situation with their halfassed handling of the situation.

RICHARD
06-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Happy anniversary!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

Karen
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Happy anniversary!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

Why anyone ever thought this was a good idea (limit 6 beers per customer) is beyond me! One or maybe two, but any more than that and you have to expect the game will not go smoothly!

RICHARD
06-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Rest in Peace, Gerbil.
:(

Lady's Human
06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
At the risk of cursing the team (gimme a break, I'm a Red Sox fan), they're finally above .500 at home!!!!!

Karen
06-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Okay - often when I am working at the computer when there is a Red Sox game in progress, I have had the SportsIllustrated MLB "Live" game page on my computer in the back, so I can click over and check the game progress. The other day they redesigned their page, and now it is awful - I am sure it looks fine on a smart phone, but it is nearly incomprehensible on a desktop machine, and the "Live" game updates no longer exist, one does not get the head shots for whomever is pitching and batting, and no "Ball in play, hit ..." or even balls and strikes count.

And I see nowhere on the page to complain!