PDA

View Full Version : Things I Have Never Understood ... add yours

Karen
03-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Hot Tubs - Every once in a while I see a hot tub in some TV show - I have never understood the appeal of one, just seems terribly unsanitary, like sharing a bathtub with everyone - knowing how readily germs and bacteria breed in warm, damp places, just seems like a bad idea to me! And I have a healthy immune system! Never mind of course all the deaths staged around them on TV shows.

Escargot as food - sure if you drown anything in garlic and butter enough it'll taste good, but why snails? I like snails at the beach, think their shells are lovely when I find discarded ones, but don't feel any desire to eat them. And I am an adventurous eater - before I developed food allergies, I have eaten frogs' legs, jellyfish, caviar and all sorts of other stuff.

Fois Gras - knowing how it is produced just makes it unappetizing - never mind it is expensive, and "traditional"

Tans - either fake or real, for cosmetic's sake. I have no issue with people who get them by working outdoors, or who are born with naturally tan skin. But dark tans on some people just make me think "that poor skin" and think the person will be really wrinkled at an early age, unless they die of skin cancer! (No I am not jealous, even though I am pale and do not tan - I burn, I feel bad for them! I am jealous of people's ability to be out in the sun without worry of burning, but that's separate.)

How about you? What things do you find uninteresting that pop culture touts as desirable ... besides certain celebrities, that is!

cassiesmom
03-26-2014, 01:28 AM
Brussels sprouts. They're like tiny cabbages. My whole family likes them, except for me.
Marathons. If I need to go that far, I'm not going on foot!
Parallel parking. I still stink at it after many years.

pomtzu
03-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Smart phones: Okay - I know the majority out there will seriously disagree with me, but..............I don't have one and have no desire to ever own one.

Is it necessary to carry a mini computer with you wherever you go? Do you really need it to take pictures with??? - isn't that what cameras are for? Must you have this phone to your ear while you are walking down a crowded sidewalk, making your way thru the mall, and shopping at the grocery store??? Is the conversation that you are involved in really that important that you couldn't wait till you got home? Must you talk/text and drive - even tho it's illegal in most states now? And I could go on and on, but frankly, I'm not even aware of all that these phones can do.

Yes - I have a cell phone, but it's not all that smart !:eek: It has a camera which I have used on occasion, browsing capabilities which I have never used, and some other features also. I purchased it to use as a PHONE, and I do text on occasion, and the only reason I bought it in the first place, was to have in an emergency when I was away from home. I will not answer if someone calls me and I am driving, unless I have the bluetooth activated, and I just utilized this capability when I was driving to and from NC - never use it for local driving.

Think back - you managed before the smart phone, so why can't you now?? :p Does anyone remember the now obsolete phone booth? :p

Taz_Zoee
03-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Smart phones: Okay - I know the majority out there will seriously disagree with me, but..............I don't have one and have no desire to ever own one.

Is it necessary to carry a mini computer with you wherever you go? Do you really need it to take pictures with??? - isn't that what cameras are for? Must you have this phone to your ear while you are walking down a crowded sidewalk, making your way thru the mall, and shopping at the grocery store??? Is the conversation that you are involved in really that important that you couldn't wait till you got home? Must you talk/text and drive - even tho it's illegal in most states now? And I could go on and on, but frankly, I'm not even aware of all that these phones can do.

Yes - I have a cell phone, but it's not all that smart !:eek: It has a camera which I have used on occasion, browsing capabilities which I have never used, and some other features also. I purchased it to use as a PHONE, and I do text on occasion, and the only reason I bought it in the first place, was to have in an emergency when I was away from home. I will not answer if someone calls me and I am driving, unless I have the bluetooth activated, and I just utilized this capability when I was driving to and from NC - never use it for local driving.

Think back - you managed before the smart phone, so why can't you now?? :p Does anyone remember the now obsolete phone booth? :p

I understand what you mean about phones and always being "connected". However, I feel lost without mine. :)
Also, just a few weeks after my parents bought me my first cell phone (back before smart phones) I got a flat tire out in the country at 1am. Came in very handy to call dad to come help me. :)

One thing I do not understand is a couple of TV shows. The first is/was Sister Wives and now My Five Wives. I just think it is ridiculous to show this on TV!!! I have never watched an episode and try to fast forward through the commercials. I don't want to watch a family that has multiple wives. UGH!!

cloverfdx
03-26-2014, 10:17 AM
People's obsession with tv, especially cooking & home renovation shows :/.

RICHARD
03-26-2014, 10:21 AM

I went to Walgreen's the other day and was ready to check out. I was behind these two oafs - a man and woman - who were dressed like walking billboards for the local university. The man was on his phone talking about 'energy efficient windows' and gesticulating like a windmill with one vane missing. The woman was pushing a cart looking at her phone. I wanted to scoot around them but had to wait, so I just took my time.

When they got to the register, the woman looked over her shoulder and shot me a dirty look as if to say, "Why are you following us?" I smiled and she went to unloading e basket. The guy stopped and went on with his convo and the woman, got everything onto the counter and went back to looking at her phone, she made only stopped to get her charge card out and to sign the slip. All the while, she was thumbing her phone like a maniac....I don't think she looked up at the cashier once.

Now, I know that there are people that will defend their ownership of their 'smart phones' but as with any tech, The phone is only as smart and useful as the person using it.

--------------------

Hot tubs are only good if you own one - you know who has been in it and what has been going on inside. Of course, you could live near the woods and then, all bets are off.
----------

My entertainment is seeing kids wearing the 'coolest' clothes - you know the kind, WITH THE HUGE LOGO/SLOGAN on the front. (and what is it with the North Face logo on the back of the jackets?)

The nike stuff reminds me of the line in my favorite song....
"The ad on TV says "Just do it", Hell if I know what that means."

I get the sunday paper and look at the sporting good ads and laugh. 25 dollars for a tee? I can get the same shirt, sans the free advertising, at target for 8 bucks. (I pay extra for the taller sizes). I am so glad that I never had the desire to feel like I needed to buy a pair of earth shoes, Members Only or Sergio Valenti jeans .......

RICHARD
03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
People's obsession with tv, especially cooking & home renovation shows :/.

I saw a program where a couple bought a home in El Lay as a rental and vacation property. The home was on stilts, on a mountain side and surrounded with chapparal/brush and bushes.

Fires, earthquakes and mudslides? They then went 20,000 dollars over budget. 750 dollars for a shower head and another 750 for faucets?

It's all about people long on money and short on brains.

------------

Cooking shows lost me a while back when they started to demand Pink Himalayan Salt blocks to cook on and that special cheese that comes from cows that eat from the pastures --with the special grass sown by chanting monks during a full moon and then milked during an eclipse when all the planets are in conjunction....

slick
03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Oh come on now Richard....aren't you still just a wee bit smitten with Nigella? :love:

RICHARD
03-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Oh come on now Richard....aren't you still just a wee bit smitten with Nigella? :love:

LOL, Helen Mirren shares my heart with NL.....It's crowded in there!

snakemama
03-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Smart phones:

Before the smartphone, I got lost ALL the time. At least once a month I would be driving somewhere new and suddenly be lost. I have spent over 30 minutes trying to get home from somewhere less than two miles away. I am apparently an idiot with directions, despite having lived in he same city for most of my life. :D

I know I could get a GPS (and I do own one now, it was a birthday gift) but I had a hard time spending that kind of money on something that only does one task. Now I can tell my phone to take me home, and voila!

I don't NEED my phone by any means. I use less than an hour a month of actual phone time, and around 100 messages. But I do so love not being lost anymore!

pomtzu
03-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I understand what you mean about phones and always being "connected". However, I feel lost without mine. :)
Also, just a few weeks after my parents bought me my first cell phone (back before smart phones) I got a flat tire out in the country at 1am. Came in very handy to call dad to come help me. :)

Yes Cindy - I do agree that cell phones are almost a necessity these days, and I too have one. My post was directed to the smart phone and the obsession that most of the population has with these mini computers. A "phone" is supposed to be a "phone" - right???:confused::D

I went to Walgreen's the other day and was ready to check out. I was behind these two oafs - a man and woman - who were dressed like walking billboards for the local university. The man was on his phone talking about 'energy efficient windows' and gesticulating like a windmill with one vane missing. The woman was pushing a cart looking at her phone. I wanted to scoot around them but had to wait, so I just took my time.

When they got to the register, the woman looked over her shoulder and shot me a dirty look as if to say, "Why are you following us?" I smiled and she went to unloading e basket. The guy stopped and went on with his convo and the woman, got everything onto the counter and went back to looking at her phone, she made only stopped to get her charge card out and to sign the slip. All the while, she was thumbing her phone like a maniac....I don't think she looked up at the cashier once.

RICHARD - you nailed it my friend - one of my points about smart phones and (smart???) people expressed in the "RICHARD humor" version. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-27-2014, 05:39 AM
- I never understood why people throw dirt on the ground when there is a wast bin not far away...:mad:
Is it laziness, or just plain stupidity?? I really don't get that, and it sometimes makes me very angry...
When I see an adult doing this, I don't react; but when I see a child doing this, I go ask her/him "don't you have a bin at home?"
Usually the child looks at me with an dumb look......:mad:

I now for sure (100%) that my kids who are adults now, never did this as a child, and never does it as an adult!!
Why don't parents teach this anymore to their kids???

- Why do some people never respect a waiting line of people and walk straight to the counter buy tickets or so?

- Why people pic up their phone and start talking loudly, no matter where they are, like in a shop, on a bus, in a wiring room at the doctor, etc....?? Don't they get it that this is disturbing for other people???

RICHARD
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
- I never understood why people throw dirt on the ground when there is a wast bin not far away...:mad:
Is it laziness, or just plain stupidity?? I really don't get that, and it sometimes makes me very angry...
When I see an adult doing this, I don't react; but when I see a child doing this, I go ask her/him "don't you have a bin at home?"

I now for sure (100%) that my kids who are adults now, never did this as a child, and never does it as an adult!!

- Why do some people never respect a waiting line of people and walk straight to the counter buy tickets or so?

- Why people pic up their phone and start talking loudly, no matter where they are, like in a shop, on a bus, in a wiring room at the doctor, etc....?? Don't they get it that this is disturbing for other people???

I have put in some time in the doctor's waiting room and this is how it goes.....

Ring, ring. (or some obnoxious music...)

Hello?
I'm at the doctor.
Yes, No, I have been here since one.
No, they have called everyone except me, this is BS.

(Now, this is happening in a full room and the person on the phone is talking quite loudly?)

Yes, well I have my knee, it hurts and it's swollen. I called to make an appointment and I'm here.
I hate this, it's stupid, they should get a system in here that works....
Oh, goodbye.

(the phone rings again, an even more obnoxious tune?)

Hello?
I AM AT THE DOCTOR.
WHAT? TELL HIM TO GET OFF OF IT.
NO, TELL HIM I AM GOING TO BEAT HIM WHEN I GET HOME.
PUT HIM ON THE PHONE, NOW!
IF I HAVE TO COME HOME....NO, YOU BETTER BEHAVE!

Ugh.

-----------------

The other bugaboo I have about phones is when you are talking to someone and their phone rings.
They act as if it's the president or prime minister calling. They start to go spastic trying to get their phone out to answer the call.

They then proceed to turn around and walk away from you to finish their call.

OR?

You call someone and they put you on hold to take a call. Isn't that what v-mail is for?

---------

I own a cell phone and I check it about once a week. The only time I do carry it on my person is......NEVER.
If you want to talk to me, call the hard line phone number, I will pick it up. Otherwise leave a message because the person you have called is currently unavailable?

kuhio98
03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Call waiting!

When YOU called ME and we're having a nice chat and you get another call and want me to wait, I say NO and hang-up.

Unless you are a doctor on call for an organ transplant.....
Unless you are the President and there is a world crisis you need to weigh in on.....

The person calling you can wait and we should continue our conversation.

phesina
03-27-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm with you there, RICHARD: You're talking with someone on the phone, and their call-waiting signals another call is coming in.. and they put you on hold to take it. They're in effect telling you: "Pardon me while I see if there's someone I'd rather talk to than you on the other line."

phesina
03-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Hah! Lisa! You just said, even better, what I was trying to say!!!

kuhio98
03-27-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm with you there, RICHARD: You're talking with someone on the phone, and their call-waiting signals another call is coming in.. and they put you on hold to take it. They're in effect telling you: "Pardon me while I see if there's someone I'd rather talk to than you on the other line."

That's exactly how I feel. They are keeping their options open in case someone more important/interesting calls, then they kick you to the curb.
Well, I gotta life too and I'm not hanging out on hold while you weigh the options. See ya!

phesina
03-27-2014, 11:35 AM

I'm with you completely on this one, Lut. Children learn from their parents' example how to deal with the outside world.

I've noticed that more often than not it's junk-food wrappers or cigarette butts or empty cigarette packs that are tossed out in public spaces. This makes me think that, since these people are okay about taking crap into their own bodies, they don't give a damn about throwing it out there for the rest of the world either.

Lady's Human
03-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Celebrity "news".

They are largely people getting paid for their looks (there ARE intelligent actors/actresses, however, that's not why they're on the screen). Make movies, TV shows, and let it rest there. I don't care what your viewpoint on vaccination, global warming, or any other cause du jour is, nor do I want to hear them unless you have a degree or direct experience in what you're discussing. Dance, monkey, dance.

RICHARD
03-27-2014, 05:37 PM
As god is my witness this JUST happened to me in the parking lot of the supermarket.

Some GD idiot on a cell phone walks out in front of the car while I am driving towards him, he stops turns away from
me and I see he has a North Face jacket on (logo on the back) he walks back up onto the sidewalk - he never looked up or around to see if anyone was going to run his rear over.

I laughed.

cassiesmom
03-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Brussels sprouts. They're like tiny cabbages. My whole family likes them, except for me.
Parallel parking. I still stink at it after many years.

People who abuse animals, children or the elderly (or any person, for that matter).
Why I still struggle with reconciling my checkbook every month. I've had a checking account since college and it's always been a problem for me.
Justin Bieber.

Freedom
03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't understand the new fad of reality shows. I have never watched one and, based on what I've heard about verbally abusive judges and players, I don't feel I am missing a thing. I miss the shows which taught a moral, and what happened to musicals for movies? Life is scary enough, sad enough, I don't need more of that as my 'entertainment.'

I don't understand people who have a garage, but park their brand new car outside. Your car is usually your second largest purchase of your life (the house with the garage is the largest). Why leave it out in the elements? Take care of it!

I don't understand people who think animals don't have feelings, emotions. Usually, I can see another person's point of view, even if I do not agree with it. But this is just so obvious and clear to me, I can't grasp what sort of person would NOT see this in animals.

cassiesmom
03-28-2014, 08:17 AM
I don't understand people who have a garage, but park their brand new car outside. Your car is usually your second largest purchase of your life (the house with the garage is the largest). Why leave it out in the elements? Take care of it!

I just heard a story on the radio about people who use their garages for everything except parking the car :) A laundry room, storage, a "man cave", an exercise room ... the car stays in the driveway, never quite gets into the garage. :wehavetoomuchstuff:

I take the tollway every day now. If they can collect my toll electronically through my I-Pass, and take a photograph of my car clearly enough to read the license plate number if my toll can't be collected -- why can't they use the same technology to catch speeders? The East-West Tollway (the one I regularly use) has a reputation as a road where drivers can go 75-80 mph and get away with it for long stretches. Figure it out, Illinois. You could collect a mint of money off of those speeding tickets. Maybe that would stave off another toll increase.

RICHARD
03-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Hashtags?

Growing up they were called Pound Signs.

I refuse to call them 'hashtags'.....I laugh and ask people, What is up with the tic-tac-toe things?;)

----------

I don't understand 'facebook' and do not ask me to look, post or join.

I don't want to see photos of

Nice weather when it's snowing in my back yard.
Your kid's b-day party, first anything.
Vacations?

-----------------

Vacations? A few months ago you were complaining about money and how much you were suffering because you couldn't afford to buy XXXXXXXX.

And yesterday you mention that you posted the photos your flying vacation to a theme park- on facebook.......

--------------

Lawyer commercials on the tube.

"you don't have to pay, unless I win your case!"

Kinda a win-win for them?

Lady's Human
03-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Many garages don't fit newer cars, and don't fit them with enough room to work on them. Besides, the elements aren't a car's worst enemy, their worst enemy is lack of maintenance.

Our garage's ceiling is too low for the truck, and would be a nightmare to get into in the winter. Hence, it's a workshop and tool storage than a garage. I was asked once what I was going to do with all the tools I own. My reply? Most anything I need to.

At our previous house, the garage was built for a model T........nothing would fit in there.

Lady's Human
03-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I just heard a story on the radio about people who use their garages for everything except parking the car :) A laundry room, storage, a "man cave", an exercise room ... the car stays in the driveway, never quite gets into the garage. :wehavetoomuchstuff:

I take the tollway every day now. If they can collect my toll electronically through my I-Pass, and take a photograph of my car clearly enough to read the license plate number if my toll can't be collected -- why can't they use the same technology to catch speeders? The East-West Tollway (the one I regularly use) has a reputation as a road where drivers can go 75-80 mph and get away with it for long stretches. Figure it out, Illinois. You could collect a mint of money off of those speeding tickets. Maybe that would stave off another toll increase.

The use of cameras to catch speeders has a questionable legal standing, court cases in regards to them have a mixed success rate, hence it would be more expensive to catch and prosecute speeders and then defend the inevitable court challenge.

They likely don't need the money specifically for the toll road maintenance anyway. The original bond bills to pay for the Mass Turnpike were paid off when I was in High School, but the tolls still exist. When politicians get a bag of free money, they don't give it up without a fight. It's easier politically to raise tolls than taxes.

Karen
03-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Hashtags?

Growing up they were called Pound Signs.

I refuse to call them 'hashtags'.....I laugh and ask people, What is up with the tic-tac-toe things?;)

To a musician they are "sharp" signs - put it next to a note and you play it a half-step up. I don't mind them calling it hashtag in that usage, what I mind is people saying "hashtag whatever" in spoken conversations, like they are being clever.

cassiesmom, I do think whether or not people use the garage for the car actually has several contributing factors - size being the most important. The house on the corner of our street when we lived at the old house was newly built, so the builders put in one side of the garage big enough for a Hummer, and the other side still big but not THAT big! And I never saw their cars NOT in the garage. But I have been in garages so small that that car technically would fit, but you cannot open the door to get out of the car. And know people who will not park in a garage that is under or attached to a house because they have heard of or know someone whose car started a house fire. Lastly, I do know one person who is mildly claustrophobic, and so claims his car doesn't like being in confined spaces!

Just saying, it is not always a matter of too much stuff!

Randi
03-28-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't understand the new fad of reality shows. I have never watched one and, based on what I've heard about verbally abusive judges and players, I don't feel I am missing a thing. I miss the shows which taught a moral, and what happened to musicals for movies? Life is scary enough, sad enough, I don't need more of that as my 'entertainment.'
I have to admit I have watched part of some of them - can't remember what the shows were called. These sad people will do just about anything for attention and fame. Most of them have only half a brain. They thought they could pick and choose any job after the shows finished. NOT! Now, they're feeling sorry for themselves and most normal people can't stand to be near them. :D

I don't understand people who think animals don't have feelings, emotions. Usually, I can see another person's point of view, even if I do not agree with it. But this is just so obvious and clear to me, I can't grasp what sort of person would NOT see this in animals.
People who can't see animals have feelings ought to spend some time with various animals, but they probably don't have empathy for other people, either. They must live in a "cold" world. Sad, isn't it! :(

Freedom
03-28-2014, 02:31 PM
I don't understand why we have the word: nonfiction. I mean, what is wrong with FACT? Books are either fact or fiction. Why do they have to be fiction and nonfiction? :p

RICHARD
03-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Here's another I just thought of.....

Going to dinner in a group and the server gets to the one person and begins to take their order.

"I'll have the steak......"

How do you want it cooked?

Medium and what does that come with? (It's on the menu but they have to ask because....)

Potato or mixed vegetable, rice and a salad...

Can I sub some onion rings for the potato and I want cole slaw.

Um, I'll see what I can...

Oh and What kind of dressing do you have?

Ranch, Blue, Italian and the house....

Is there tomato in the salad? I don't want cherry tomatos, I don't like them. What were the choices again?

Ranch, Blue, Italian and the...

I want it on the side.

What kind of dressing?

After 10 minutes of ordering/choosing, it's over and when the food does come?

This steak is cold/hot/not what I ordered.....

And it goes on and on and on.:rolleyes:

cassiesmom
03-29-2014, 12:13 AM
I don't understand why fast "distance" train travel isn't as widely available in the U.S. as it seems to be in Canada and Europe. I traveled by train from Chicago to Washington, D.C. It was crowded, noisy, and the train arrived late. Train service in other countries must be better than it is here.

Karen
03-29-2014, 01:09 AM
I don't understand why fast "distance" train travel isn't as widely available in the U.S. as it seems to be in Canada and Europe. I traveled by train from Chicago to Washington, D.C. It was crowded, noisy, and the train arrived late. Train service in other countries must be better than it is here.

Don't bet on it! I once was on a train from London to Glasgow that "took a nap" for a couple hours in the middle of nowhere - just stopped with no explanation and eventually resumed with no explanation! It was quite odd, and I finished the book I had brought with me on that one leg of the trip, when I had expected it to last for the ride back as well!

Lady's Human
03-29-2014, 04:11 AM

Shorter distances to travel, and in most European countries railroads were a prime target of both sides air forces during WW2. With all the destruction on the continent, they had a clean slate to engineer better railbeds. In addition, their economies were ruined by the war, so automobile travel didn't gain popularity until much later, by which time the railroads had been rehabbed and were in excellent shape.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-29-2014, 05:34 AM
I'm with you completely on this one, Lut. Children learn from their parents' example how to deal with the outside world.

I've noticed that more often than not it's junk-food wrappers or cigarette butts or empty cigarette packs that are tossed out in public spaces. This makes me think that, since these people are okay about taking crap into their own bodies, they don't give a damn about throwing it out there for the rest of the world either.

Exactly!! I hate this so much!!
Hey, what would these people say when others throw all that stuff in their own frontyard???:mad:

Karen
03-29-2014, 06:03 PM

I used to love Brussels Sprouts - before I became horribly allergic to anything related to cabbage.

That's not to like? They are like a whole cabbage shrunk down to one little bite, the leaves are much more delicate and it's like popping a whole little world into your mouth! ;)

It's funny you mention parallel parking, too! I grew up in a more suburban/rural area, where people had driveways and parking lots. I honestly thought, until I came to Boston for college, that "parallel parking" meant pulling straight into a parking space so you were parallel with the painted lines!

I did eventually learn how to do it, but when going out with one of my friends, she would spot a place barely longer than my car, and when I said, "I can't fit there!" she would literally make me stop the car, and stand by the side of the road while she parallel parked my car, usually in one smooth move!

cassiesmom
03-31-2014, 02:58 PM

the city of Chicago took away a lot of the trash cans on the sidewalks when the NATO summit was here, with the rationale that they would be too easy a hiding place for an explosive. So now people leave their empty junk food wrappers and cigarette packs on the sidewalk, because the trash cans just aren't there. Yuk.

pomtzu
03-31-2014, 03:50 PM
the city of Chicago took away a lot of the trash cans on the sidewalks when the NATO summit was here, with the rationale that they would be too easy a hiding place for an explosive. So now people leave their empty junk food wrappers and cigarette packs on the sidewalk, because the trash cans just aren't there. Yuk.

Then shame-shame-shame on the City of Chicago for not putting them back. Seems like a no-brainer to me. :p

Glacier
03-31-2014, 04:40 PM

I could never understand this one until I started to distance run. Even when I was 5-10km runner, marathoners seemed nuts to me. I've done several half marathons in the last year, with four more scheduled for this summer, and am training for my first full marathon this fall. I have found that runners are some of the most non-judgemental, supportive people I've ever met. I have a co-worker who runs ultramarathons(he's training for a 100km race right now). I still think he's a little nutty!

phesina
03-31-2014, 04:45 PM

So why DIDN'T they put them back when the summit was over? How long ago was that?

RICHARD
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Jimmy Gehton and Anita Hava?

I have heard of these two louts for years and have a real short tolerance for these manner-less buffoons.

Anita Hava was in line with me yesterday.

---------------------

Years ago a bunch of us neighborhood kids were comparing notes about stupid stuff when the topic of 'rude people' came up - one of the guys worked in a fastfood place and said that he hated the people that would come in and place their order by saying, "Let me get on a burger, fries and a soda...." No please or thank you. They soon became "Jimmy Gehton".

Anita Hava (I need to have a........) is another example of this kind of mannerless interaction with people who work in the service industry. I have been told that I am 'too nice' when I deal with clerks, cashiers, sales associates - But isn't that part of doing business with people?

Karen
04-02-2014, 11:36 AM
people that would come in and place their order by saying, "Let me get on a burger, fries and a soda...." No please or thank you. They soon became "Jimmy Gehton".

People would really "'get on' a burger"? Never heard that expression - I don't want to be on my burger, it would get squished! Is that a California thing?

kuhio98
04-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't understand why many beautiful places do not have underground utilities.
I watch those home and garden shows sometimes and the people will rave about the "million dollar view" and all I can see are all the power lines.
Yes, I know it would be expensive to redo old, established places. But, I'm so thankful that I've mostly lived in places with underground utilities.

Karen
04-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't understand why many beautiful places do not have underground utilities.
I watch those home and garden shows sometimes and the people will rave about the "million dollar view" and all I can see are all the power lines.
Yes, I know it would be expensive to redo old, established places. But, I'm so thankful that I've mostly lived in places with underground utilities.

Shifting ground, high water table, and old cities and towns - I have always lived places with above-ground lines!