PDA

View Full Version : My 50 gallon aquarium

Freedom
03-22-2014, 04:34 PM
I picked up a 50 gallon aquarium with stand back in Feb. Repainted the stand, slowly been cycling it and getting stock in. Today someone gave me a bunch of fish, so I think it is now full! (And then some!)

Here is a quick vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjpBRjJlLI&feature=youtu.be

This tank holds:
- 10 rummy nose tetras (H. bleheri)
- 10 lambchop rasboras (T. espei)
- 6 albino corycats (aeneus)
- 4 bronze corycats (aeneus)
- some danios (which I plan to shift to the other tank, where my danios are!)
- a yellow headed fish which I am trying to identify -- GOT IT! It is a Glo Blue Danio. The yellow on the head is natural.
- a glo fish (NOT my idea, believe me!)
- blue mystery snail
- gold mystery snail
- 4 red cherry shrimp (which you will not see in the video as they are small and hide all the time)

I also have 2 moss balls, subwassertang, anubias, java moss, java fern, and naja grass.

Among other things, ha ha.

For anyone interested, this link is a group of photos showing the development of the tank. There are descriptions under each photo to explain what you are looking at. I think there are close to 80 photos in this link.

http://s133.photobucket.com/user/sfsamm/media/2014/Feb%2028%20New%20Tank%20Set%20Up/tankstand6_zps52750704.jpeg.html?sort=2&o=0

pomtzu
03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Looks great Sandie - and very colorful. I had a 40 gallon for many years and it developed a leak along the front bottom seam. Never could get it repaired and sealed, and never got around to setting up a new one. I miss having one, and I've had 2 gallon to 40 gallon and about everything in between. They can be quite challenging and I don't think I have the patience anymore to maintain a healthy tank.

Freedom
03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Ellie!

I picked up more shrimp late Sunday - 30 in total, some red cherry, some sakura, some fire. Mixed bag. I put some in each tank. And I STILL can not find any shrimp ha haaa. They are so SMALL!! But they multiply rapidly so they will help keep my tanks clean.

I've had the small 68 litre tank for over 20 years, this is the first time I've had any live plants. Everyone kept teasing me about my 'beginner' tank.

pomtzu
03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Just an afterthought for you Sandie. If you ever get a leaky tank that you can't or don't want to repair, then just turn it into a terrarium. I did that with my 40 gallon - looked really nice and you can landscape and make terraces and just about anything that pops into your head. So the tank wasn't totally useless - just no longer housed any fishies.............:p

Alysser
04-15-2014, 08:03 PM
For some reason I didn't even see this :rolleyes:.. this tank is AWESOME, Sandie! LOVE the little corycats

Freedom
04-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Thanks, all! Alyesser, I think this tank is now complete, just maintenance and enjoy it now.