PDA

View Full Version : We don't have.....(gift swap?)

RICHARD
03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Years ago we started a fun thread about things that weren't available in our area or things that we were curious about.

I think it's time to start it up again?

---------------------

We did this for the people who were unable to get a product that they could not get or wanted to try.

Before we start, if you would like to participate or get something, please post your thoughts and then ????

-------

Bascially, it was a gift/food/trinket exchange - nothing too pricey or strange - just for fun and giggles.

I want to start by sending Slick some gravy mix so she can have biscuits and gravy!

Thanks.

Karen
03-06-2014, 09:20 PM
It would be a fun thing to start this up again! I'll participate, particularly if there's anything folks are interested in from hereabouts! But even little trinkets and stuff from wherever you are are fun, too! We usually set a dollar limit - I forget whether it was $15 or $25, so no one would feel they had to break the bank to participate!

Freedom
03-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I loved the gift swaps! I still think of them, I have a T shirt someone sent me, which I still wear. I think maybe it was from Amy Hulse? Pic of 3 bichons, and reads: Owned by Bichons Frise Then under the pic it continues: actually its vice versa LOVE that shirt! Hmm, maybe I should try to search and see who it was from.

When we did it, you did not know who had your name, I think that was how it worked? Sort of like a secret santa thing. LOADS of fun! But that was back when finances weren't an issue. I don't think I could afford to do one at this time.

smokey the elder
03-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I remember swapping Aquari-yums for crocheted mice with Gary years ago. That was fun.

phesina
03-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I think I'd like to be in on this.. if the dollar amount wasn't very high..

Pat

RICHARD
03-07-2014, 01:00 PM
About the GS?

It was more about people wanting a certain item they had heard about, wanted to try or was unavailable in the area that they lived in/moved to.

Hints?

Kitchen magnets, post cards, little figurines? I go to the dollar tables and find stuff that is marked down. The other day I found a really neat slogan/print T-shirt at Kmart for a few dollars...

I picked up making paracord bracelets and have made some pretty nifty dog and cat collars and people seem to really like them - handmade items are fun to get too.

Don't feel like you need to spend HUGE amounts of money on a package - that was the fun of putting together a box of stuff!

---------------

I think that they way we did it last time was that people asked for an item(s) and people were able to fill that request - it was entirely up to the sender to add what they wanted add to the box/package over what the person wanted!!!

---------

If enough people want to get this going, we can figure out what is what!

Thanks again and remember that it's not about the dollar amount you send, it's the thought?:cool:

slick
03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm in. Anyone want some real Canadian Maple Syrup?

Freedom
03-08-2014, 07:35 AM
So, I offer / suggest things which are 'typically' RI?

Del's Lemonade, Eclipse Coffee syrup, Autocrat coffee syrup, Catanzaro's white wine biscuits (there are more)

And then someone selects what they want? Cool! I could do this!

RICHARD
03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
So, I offer / suggest things which are 'typically' RI?

Del's Lemonade, Eclipse Coffee syrup, Autocrat coffee syrup, Catanzaro's white wine biscuits (there are more)

And then someone selects what they want? Cool! I could do this!

Yes, you can put together a box or ask if someone can fill a request you may have?

There are no real rules, aside from keeping it as a low cost, fun project!

-----------------

This sounds really bad but the Kentucky Derby is in a few months....No, not that Derby is coming, but the fact that I buy KD knicknacks AFTER the race because they go on sale! So, If you would like horse racing and don't mind waiting?

Pinot's Mom
03-08-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm currently in Utah - anyone want something Utahian?

But lots of things come to mind for when we get home! Bergers cookies, old bay seasoning, anything crab related, Snyder's pretzels...

Karen
03-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Gosh, I am lucky, as I have a local fabulous market where I can get lots of stuff from all over the world! Like Slick, I could offer maple sugar or maple syrup, I'll have to ponder what else is unique to here, as lobsters do not mail well ... certainly plenty of Boston stuff around of course,if anyone wants Boston postcards or trinkets! Salt Water taffy is available anyplace there is a coastline, right? And while Marshmallow fluff was invented here, I am guessing it is in Supermarkets worldwide by now!

Freedom
03-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Psst, Karen: Boston Baked Beans - the candy!

One of my indulgences on my rare trips up there!!!

Karen
03-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Psst, Karen: Boston Baked Beans - the candy!

One of my indulgences on my rare trips up there!!!

Wow, do they not have them everywhere? I knew black raspberry ice cream is a Massachusetts/New England thing, but didn't know Boston Baked Beans the candy were! For those not in the know, they have nothing to do with actual beans! (Sugar, peanuts and yum!)

wolf_Q
03-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Wow, do they not have them everywhere? I knew black raspberry ice cream is a Massachusetts/New England thing, but didn't know Boston Baked Beans the candy were! For those not in the know, they have nothing to do with actual beans! (Sugar, peanuts and yum!)

You can buy them here I've seen them plenty.

I like weird/new candy might be interested in something like that. I live in utah I could come up with some utah specific things.

Karen
03-09-2014, 03:19 AM
You can buy them here I've seen them plenty.

I like weird/new candy might be interested in something like that. I live in utah I could come up with some utah specific things.

That's fun! And for anyone landlocked, of course sea shells or coastal stuff I could do!

Casper
03-09-2014, 06:01 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun, but I've been sitting here racking my brain for what is unique to Arkansas and I haven't a clue! I'm still interested in joining in. :)

phesina
03-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Genuine Michigan cherry treats.. all kinds of University of Michigan stuff..

Freedom
03-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Casper, here is a tip: Use Google and put in: Arkansas products

Seems every state has a site which deals in their state specific stuff!

Here are just 2 of several, to get you started thinking:
http://www.arkansas.com/kids/fun-facts/facts-products.aspx

http://littlemagpie.org/2010/05/17/beths-arkansas-product-list/

slick
03-09-2014, 06:39 PM
I've just sent something to Anna and Mark, thanks to FB. Not necessarily a Canadian item, but something Anna expressed an interest in....well, OK, it's for Roxey, but what the heck. It's one of these:
http://images.wisegeek.com/metal-pronged-scalp-massager.jpg

phesina
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
My gosh.. just what IS that? How big is it, and what is it used for, and how is it used?

RICHARD
03-17-2014, 11:58 AM
LOL, I just thought of something we have in KY, Kentucky Fried Chicken?:rolleyes:;)

---------

Do we need more time to think about stuff to trade? I am offering Kentucky Derby stuff - If you'd like any kind of memorabilia about the race, Uni of Louisville or Kentucky stuff - it's all here.

I also will toss in hand made pet collars, I just need to know the size of your pets neck. I usually make the cat collars with a 'quick release' buckle and the dog collars are made with a 'Fastex style' buckle. I can add a loop for a leash on them, if you like....

Karen
03-17-2014, 12:28 PM
I was thinking of this thread the other day - a grocer store clerk was telling me his friend in college in California or Arizona introduced friend there to Marshmallow Fluff, and it was nothing they had ever seen, so he had his parents ship some to him and he was making huge profits selling it to them!