PDA

View Full Version : Betta peeps: Tank within a Tank set up!

Freedom
02-27-2014, 07:38 AM
This is from the Tropical Fish forum. Someone was tired of having 2 tanks to maintain, so added the betta to the community tank. However the flow from the filter was too strong for the betta, and the slow eating betta wasn't getting much food with the other fish eating so fast.

This idea is working well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gvilleguy/12794550275/

I think it is a fascinating idea!

Alysser
02-27-2014, 08:48 AM
The idea is a good one! I think that tank is also 3 gallons which is perfect! I bought a 10 gallon tank that came from Wal-Mart that came with a powerful filter and I used a plastic bottle as a baffler for the filter and it works wonders. I can take a picture for anyone interested. But what works for me doesn't work for anyone, and this is wonderfully creative!

Freedom
02-27-2014, 06:54 PM
It is a 40 gallon tank. The betta is in a half moon 1.1 gallon. Everyone on the forum says it is too small for a betta but "I'm not complaining because your solution is fantastic!" Or something along those lines, lol.

He tried putting a net around the HOB, but the flow was still too much, the betta remained under a piece of wood except to come out to eat. He also says the other fish go crazy watching the betta eat at his slow pace, after they have 'scarved down' their own food, lol.

I think he needed the high flow for the plants and / or the other fish in the tank.

Asiel
02-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Don't know much about fish but the arrangement was a good idea. I would have thought it would work well, guess I have some reading up to do about fish. It sure does look pretty though.

Freedom
02-27-2014, 08:57 PM
It does work well! He just needs to rework it with a larger tank so the betta has more room, that's all.

Alysser
02-28-2014, 05:23 AM
Well if this works for him than more power to him. I would hope he's looking into a bigger tank. I personally wouldn't keep a betta in anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon. My guys have 5 gallons to themselves.

chocolatepuppy
02-28-2014, 05:32 AM
It is a 40 gallon tank. The betta is in a half moon 1.1 gallon.

A bit small for the betta. I start out some of my tiny ones in a one gallon but don't keep them there.

cloverfdx
03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Way to small for the Betta, he'd have hardly any room to swim with all the plants as well.

Clever idea if they used a bigger holding tank.