PDA

View Full Version : Fat Tailed Gecko V Leopard Gecko

Scar
02-03-2014, 03:51 PM
So I have been debating this for awhile My Future husband used to have a snake... we cant have snakes here i wont let him can not stand snakes but i can stand eels... dont ask why dont know.... well ive been thinking about getting a Leopard Gecko or a Fat Tailed Gecko for us... and one for myself ... i have been doing my research both seems like great pets but im still not sure about them so i was wondering about some of the pros and cons of owning them any help will be appreciated.

Digi
02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Go with a Leopard Gecko, they are very good as a first time gecko.

They still need their basics though, and the humidity hide is very important (a little plastic container that contains a moist paper towel, with a tiny cave door cut into it). Feeding is easy, watering is easy, no fancy lighting, heating is easy, the tank doesn't need to be massive, and they can be pretty large (for a gecko I mean), so they are easy to hold without worrying about the tail falling off (unlike the fat tails).

Snakes are still better IMO though. Ball Pythons make wonderful pet snakes.

Scar
02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
My husband to be used to own a sand boa but as i said hes not allowed to have a snake because they terrify me to death. i have heard their tails fall off if stressed i have read alot of owner comments about the Leopard and the fat tails but thanks for the comment .

Digi
02-03-2014, 05:00 PM
i have heard their tails fall off if stressed i have read alot of owner comments about the Leopard and the fat tails but thanks for the comment .

They can even fall off if you touch the tail or hold the tail or bump the tail. It depends on the individual/species on how easily they'll drop their tails. The tail will also not grow back (a little fatty bump will usually grow in its place). Leopard Geckos are much more forgiving in that area. They can still drop their tails, but they are not nearly as sensitive as some other Geckos.

Scar
02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
They can even fall off if you touch the tail or hold the tail or bump the tail. It depends on the individual/species on how easily they'll drop their tails. The tail will also not grow back (a little fatty bump will usually grow in its place). Leopard Geckos are much more forgiving in that area. They can still drop their tails, but they are not nearly as sensitive as some other Geckos.

okay thanks :) for explaining that