PDA

View Full Version : I am very scared.

Cookiebaker
12-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Yipes! The skin on my side has been hurting really bad for a few days, and tonight I broke out into a rash. :eek: I just did some research on the internet and I'm pretty sure that it's shingles. I'm gonna call the Dr. tomorrow to confirm, but all the websites are so nasty & I'm really scared to be in pain for 6 weeks. :eek: Has anybody ever had the shingles?? Please tell me that all these websites are over blown. They all sound so scary!!!!!! Aaagggggh!!!!

aly
12-13-2002, 10:14 PM
I'm not too familiar with shingles but I hope thats not what you have. Let us know what you find out from the doctor. I hope you feel better soon and I hope its just something simple thats wrong.

Twisterdog
12-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Shingles are indeed horrible. My mom and my grandpa have had them, and they are very, very bad.

However, you probably have something else. Don't freak out!

Shingles is not all that common, and is often triggered by high stress situations. The same virus that causes chicken pox is responsible for shingles. The virus lies dormant in your system. Most of the time it never reoccurs as shingles. So, you would have had to have had chicken pox at some point in the past to get shingles. Shingles also affect only one side of your body at a time, never both.

Nomilynn
12-13-2002, 10:38 PM
I have never had shingles, but my aunt had it. She only took a few days off work, and then was able to go right back. She still had the rash, but the pain went away fast. So hopefully, if it is shingles, you will only have a very mild case!! Hopefully the doctor will be able to tell you more!

All Creatures Great And Small
12-14-2002, 12:33 AM
Yep, I've had the stress-related shingles before (coincidentally, right around Christmas time!). If your skin hurts and the rash is on your trunk, it sure sounds like shingles. I don't remember being too incapacitated, so they must have subsided on their own after a while. I remember using Caladryl on them and having to put a soft flannel cloth between them and my bra band. I don't recall that the doctor had anything he could prescribe for it since it's viral in nature. You know, there is a product called ViraDerm on the Internet that is supposed to relieve shingles instantly on contact. I ordered some for my daughter when I thought she had shingles, but it turned out to be contact dermatitis instead. Anyway, the company will let you return the unused portion for a full refund if you are not happy with it, for any reason. It might be worth a look at, even though it's pretty pricey. (I returned mine since it didn't work on dermatitis.) What the heck, give it a try - you'll only be out the postage if it doesn't work. Here's a link:http://www.tag-medical.com/VMain.htm Yeah, those websites try to scare the bejeebers out of you, but shingles aren't as bad as a full-blown case of herpes.

twiggie542
12-14-2002, 08:23 AM
o i do hope u get better!:( whatever it is .
plus i wonder if whatever it is can be passed on to animals or if they can even get it at all!
god i soo wish animals and humans could be safe to every illness

ne way i like all the pics aof animals i just cant do it tho how do i post a pic?

anna_66
12-14-2002, 08:52 AM
I hope it's not the shingles! Have you visited the Dr yet?
I had the shingles and it was just terrible. I've never had such an awful pain in my life.
Please keep us posted.
I'll be praying for you.
Anna

Cookiebaker
12-14-2002, 11:07 AM
I just got a call back from the Dr. and they want me to go to the ER for an evaluation/diagnosis. NOW I am REALLY scared. :eek: No offense to Dr.'s out there but I really HATE doctors. I HATE being poked & prodded and ferdoodled. HELP!!

All Creatures Great And Small
12-14-2002, 11:17 AM
Do you have to use the ER on weekends or after hours? That's probably why they want you to go there, not because of the urgency of the situation. They probably just want to get you some relief as soon as possible, instead of waiting until your regular Dr. can see you. Now, be brave, and if you're really good at the ER maybe they'll give you a Spongebob sticker!!:D ;)

HoRsELUvR
12-14-2002, 12:01 PM
Keep us updated.I hope its not too bad!

anna_66
12-14-2002, 01:08 PM
Strange they want you to go to the er for a diagnosis. My dr told me in the office when I had it. They just gave me some medications and after a couple of weeks I finally felt better. Hope that's not what it is. Please let us know what they say at the er.

COCatMama
12-14-2002, 01:17 PM
yeouch, will hydrocortisone cream help shingles? sometimes I get a small patch of dry itchy skin when under too much stress, the name of it escapes me atm....um ecsema *sp* that's it......

Cookiebaker
12-14-2002, 01:33 PM
The Dr. there was ugggghh all touchy feely. I'm glad the exam was over in less than 2 minutes.

Anyway, he said it was a little too early to definitely say it was/wasn't shingles. However, I have a prescription that I will start tomorrow afternoon if it is any worse at all and that runs for 7 days. Then I will be able to go back to work after that (ie a week from Monday). It's such a nasty time to take off work...we are so swamped & I will feel so stupid if it ends up being nothing. (If it just goes away by itself & ends up as nothing, then I can go back to the Dr on Monday, and then go back to work)

Anna, they sent me to the ER because the regular doctor's office is closed on the weekends. We have to pay a higher deductible for insurance though. And All Creatures, I didn't get a Spongebob sticker, but they gave me the wristband with my name on it. :rolleyes:

COCatMama
12-14-2002, 01:34 PM
just flash the rash to your boss...he'll practically shove ya out the door :D

trisha0503
12-14-2002, 06:38 PM
You'll be in our thoughts Anna :) Hope you feel better :)

ChrisH
12-15-2002, 03:29 PM
How are you today Anna?

Cookiebaker
12-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks for asking, Chris. Umm mostly I'm confused. The Dr. said that by tonight it should be very obvious, but it's not. One tiny bump has turned into a blister, but the rest have kind of faded, and the pain has subsided a bunch also. So I still don't know what to think...meanwhile I'm staying away from my sister in law (and best friend) because she is pregnant, just to be on the safe side. I haven't started the meds yet because I'm not convinced that it IS shingles...it might just be a coincidence of a regular rash in the area that shingles occur. Thanks everybody for the warm thoughts!

COCatMama
12-15-2002, 05:01 PM
I just thought of something horrid...
Shingle bell Shingle bell Shingle bell rock...
man oh man I must be losing it :D

Glad to hear you're feeling better anyway :D

Stenograsaurus
12-16-2002, 11:13 AM
I'm glad you're feeling a little better, Anna. I hope you find out what's going on soon. I'll be thinking of you.

NoahsMommy
12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
You may want to go to the drugstore and get some Aveeno cream (they make a cream for hives). It is oatmeal based and super gentle.

I had the same thing before my wedding (STRESS) and it went away in a few days.

They have oatmeal bath packets, cream and lotion that may really help you.

I hope you feel better soon. :)

anna_66
12-17-2002, 07:08 AM
A blister? Still sounds like it could be Shingles to me. How are you doing today? Are you having alot of pain in your back?

Cookiebaker
12-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi Anna, I went to the Dr. yesterday afternoon (my regular doc. not the ER) and she said that she definitely thought I HAD the shingles--the symptoms, placement, the type of pain, type of rash etc. all matched up to that of shingles. Apparently, according to her sometimes what happens is that your immune system is lowered a little bit, just enough for the virus to be activated. Then before the case becomes full-blown, your immune system will kick back in, and the result is a very mild case that will last 3-4 days. All I have is one blister, and the rest of the rash is gone. She told me to keep an eye on it, but otherwise it appears that I am on the way out of it. So I am very relieved & don't have to worry about being around my pregnant sister-in-law either. :D So thank you for asking!

anna_66
12-17-2002, 05:36 PM
So glad to hear! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
I'm happy to hear you are feeling better:D

P.S. Thanks again for the card!

Nomilynn
12-17-2002, 06:43 PM
oh I'm really happy that it is a mild case like that! See, even though I had no idea what I was talking about, I predeicted right! I'm glad for you!! :D :D :D

Cookiebaker
12-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
oh I'm really happy that it is a mild case like that! See, even though I had no idea what I was talking about, I predeicted right! I'm glad for you!! :D :D :D

Then Nomilynn, I certainly will credit you for the mild case for sending those good Pettalk vibes!! :D

And, Anna, I know what you mean about not wishing that on your worst enemy. I had the chicken pox when I was 16, and was the worst month in my life. :eek: Even though this was just a mild case, last Wednesday & Thursday I was in a lot of pain. It's such a sensitive area, and I really can't imagine it being worse than that. I am so sorry that you had a bad case of it. Oh, and you are certainly welcome for the card. Thanks for the response! :D

12-18-2002, 06:51 AM
I have never heard is shingles . But we know a rash here called the "zona" ; it is like a gurdle around your back and it itches enourmously . It is caused by inflamed ends of nerves . Is that it ?

I sure wish you the very best , Anna !!:D
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6603/graphic/pkbun.gif