PDA

View Full Version : Thursday #567. Arctic Vortex Thursday!

RICHARD
01-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I had to laugh at the "Arctic Vortex" moniker.

What ever happened to "Cold air from Canada"?

-----------

I hope everyone has made it thru this past week - It's always great weather here in Thursday's and shorts and tanktops are the uniform of the day.

Since the sun always shines here I think that the sgorppino should be the DOTD - I saw a variation of this drink on TV and thought it might be a winner.......

Ingredients
1 cup chilled Prosecco (Italian sparkling white wine)
2 tablespoons chilled vodka
1/3 cup frozen lemon sorbet
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves

Directions
Pour the Prosecco and vodka into 2 Champagne flutes, diving equally. Spoon a scoop of sorbet into each flute. Sprinkle with mint and serve immediately

----------------------------------

I think hot water, soup, homemade bread and a HUGE fire in the fireplace is in order!

DONE!

Karen
01-09-2014, 02:31 PM
We used to hear of the "Alberta Clipper" when the cold swooped in across the MidWest and NorthEast from up where Catty1 lives - this "Arctic Vortex," though, dropped further down, way down and had a swirling shape - it even briefly touched Florida, hit Tennessee and lots of the South ... Now that we have such good satellite imagery, the scientists and weather folks can see larger patterns than they used to be able to, so see the bigger picture with things like this vortex! All weather is local, but is also part of a global system, and now that we have off-planet satellites, we can see that better!

Cocoa please, with some of that good bread!

cassiesmom
01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm drinking tea because it's snowing again; would anyone like some?

My favorite radio DJ quipped this morning that there may soon be garage bands in high schools across the Chicago area named Polar Vortex. :)

Lady's Human
01-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Just keep LOH away from the soup unless you want to eat it with a knife and fork.....:p

Queen of Poop
01-09-2014, 07:23 PM
You know us Canadians, we love to share. :eek:

Hope everyone managed ok in the cold.

I've injured my foot on the ice here so I'm going to put it up, and hope Angel wants a snuggle.

Karen
01-10-2014, 01:30 AM
You know us Canadians, we love to share. :eek:

Hope everyone managed ok in the cold.

I've injured my foot on the ice here so I'm going to put it up, and hope Angel wants a snuggle.

I am sure Angel is already on your lap, Gayle, feel free to try to nudge her off if you want to, well, breathe or anything! But with that short fur she's got, she is a nice heat source!

smokey the elder
01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
That drink sounds really good! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Polar Vortex would be a good name for a band!:D

Lady's Human
01-10-2014, 03:13 PM

She'll always take a snuggle after a bout of rope, but if it's evening the rope isn't required.

She makes a very, very warm blanket, it's just a tad tough to breathe with 50 pounds of puppy insisting on snuggling on your chest.

cassiesmom
01-10-2014, 04:13 PM
And now, a brief winter joke (I heard this from the mother of a third grader at church choir last night).
What does a snowman eat for lunch? Iceberg-ers. :rolleyes:

Angel puppy, you and Q of P stay right there and I will bring you whatever you need.

catland
01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I'll see your Artic Vortex and raise you one Pineapple Express.

Pineapple Express is the catchy phrase used here to describe lots and lots of rain from Hawaii. Unfortunately, by the time it arrives here its just unseasonably warm (melting our Cascade mountain snowpacks which give us our summer irrigation), and rainy.

Karen
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Well we cannot blame Hawai'i for this but it is currently 57+ degrees and pouring here, and thunder and lightning. Fine weather for April, but January?

trayi52
01-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Do you still serve hot buttered rum, Richard?
If so please give me some, I need something to
To warm me up.

slick
01-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Richard, that DOTD sounds wonderful. Please sir, may I have one?
Have just spent the whole day taking down my tree and lights and packing them up for the locker. Always a sad task for me.

Lady's Human
01-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Have just spent the whole day taking down my tree and lights and packing them up for the locker. Always a sad task for me.

That's why ours stay up until Feb. or so.

RICHARD
01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Since we don't use the fireplace, I have them draped with Christmas lights on a timer. I always get the "Can you take the lights down" request, but I have forgotten - for the last two years.;) I love my lights.

Let's see here......

LH,

I hope you have some kind of connections, I NEED a Pat's win on Sunday.

Done?

Slick,
One DOTD for you! (keep a string of lights up.....)

Done!

HI TRAY!

Long, long time, hope all is well.

HBR and a seat by the fire.....DONE!

Catland,

Oh how I miss the PAE.....especially that miserable cold rain in CA!

CM,
When I was in high school, I was a camp counselor for 6th graders, they were telling the same jokes I told, six years later!!! ;)

STE,
And now, the Grammy winning, multi gold disc recording band....ARTIC VORTEX.
They'll play all their hits, including.....
Too Cool 4 u
I Got Cold Feet
The Freeze is ON!
Yellow Snow
You Got Me by the Snow Balls....:eek:

QoP,
I love to read mountaineering books and whenever I hear about extreme cold I think about two men who were stuck on a mountain. To ward off frost bite, they took off their boots and stuck each other's feet into their armpits. I hope your foot stays warm!:);) Feel better!

A round for everyone!!!!!!

DJFyrewolf36
01-13-2014, 10:04 PM
Every time it gets slightly below freezing here, people really get grouchy. I'm coming in to hide from the grump.

Hot coffee and some Midori, please.

Lady's Human
01-13-2014, 11:45 PM
I'll guard the bar against the grump, I can out-grump most anyone.

One loaded coffee and a grump free zone!

Karen
01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
I'll guard the bar against the grump, I can out-grump most anyone.

Hee hee - I can vouch for that! :D !!!!!

Rainy rainy day here - so hoping there's a spot by the fire I can dry my wet socks! (No Angel, not to play tug with them, I'd just like to get them dry, okay?)

RICHARD
01-15-2014, 10:04 PM
I need something hot and alcoholic.

I have been sick for the last few days.........

Another round?

Done?

Lady's Human
01-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you could use a hot ginger brandy, barkeep. I'll clean up and serve. DONE!

RICHARD
01-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Sounds like you could use a hot ginger brandy, barkeep. I'll clean up and serve. DONE!

That is so funny, I have been drinking ginger ale for the last week!!!!

:p