PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Mom

David_M
12-13-2002, 08:24 PM
OK, this is kind of a weird but troubling situation. My mom won't buy anymore canned food for the cats and dog since they are making a mess with it. She also says that canned food is bad for their teeth. My cats and dog are so used to it, they won't eat the dry cat food. I keep insisting with my mom that we buy a few cans, but she won't. I am tempted to buy cans secretly, even if I will get in trouble. Could you give me some advice as to what to do?

Nomilynn
12-13-2002, 08:29 PM
they probably shouldn't be eating canned food exclusively, but if they aren't eating at all it's a concern. maybe try some different drys until you find a flavour they like? From what my vet has told me, they are all different. Also, maybe mix some wet into some dry and slowly wean them off it. Other than that, I don't know what I would do? :confused:

David_M
12-13-2002, 08:31 PM
I mean they eat it off and on, but very little. I think they are still doing Ok because of all the leftovers we give them at dinner. I think I'll try the different types of dry cat foods, so I can find one they will eat. Thanks!

Nomilynn
12-13-2002, 09:42 PM
If you leave it out all the time, you may not see them eating it, either. I know my cats eat, but unless I really look closely at the bowls, I don't really know how much because they don't eat a lot either. Maybe they are eating while you are sleeping? That's when they would be awake anyway. But, if you think they would like a different flavour, give it a try! A little variety never hurt anyone! :D Just make sure when you introduce a new food of any kind, do it gradually and mix it with the previous food, so it doens't upset their stomachs.

Good luck!!

Lando
12-13-2002, 10:01 PM
David, actually, caats can live on dry cat food. It actually is probably more healthy that they are on dry cat food.

lynnestankard
12-15-2002, 05:18 PM
David my three cats all live on dried cat food - and it's recommended by my vet., it's much better for the cats - they must have constant supply of water. I bet your Mom's catswill be good and healthy.
If they won't take to the dried food straight away try mixing tinned food with it. Then you can reduce the tinned food until their are are dried food only.

Goodf Luck - hope it all turns out OK.

Lynne

Fuzzy317
12-15-2002, 08:05 PM
We free feed our cats dry Nutro Max Cat Adult. We give them a little canned only as treats on birthdays and such.

Kfamr
12-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Since they are used to eating canned food, tell your mom that maybe she should buy a few cans, just to mix in with the dry food, and keep reducing the amount until there's no can food left, there it wont be like a "cold turkey" type deal, and they will gradually get used to the dry food.

All Creatures Great And Small
12-16-2002, 12:40 AM
I can relate to your mom not liking the mess with canned food. My first kitty lived for 15 years on nothing but dry food. The kitty I have now was started on canned food, so by the time we got him, he was used to having his canned portion twice a day along with the dry that's always available. I know I am wreaking havoc on the environment, but I bought small coated paper plates and plastic forks, so when I feed the cat I can just throw all that out and not have to be soaking dried, crusty cat food off of my dishes. Maybe your mom wouldn't mind the mess as much then. My cat is just so darn skinny that I hate to wean him off the canned - I'm glad when he's eating ANYTHING.

David, I must compliment you on your fine use of the English language - it's refreshing to see a young person posting as thoughtfully and clearly as you do. You obviously were paying attention during your English classes! :)