PDA

View Full Version : Emma and Annie have arrived!

snakemama
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Today I got up before the sun and went to meet up with Kelly to retrieve Annie and Emma. Smart Emma had managed to open up the wire crate and get loose in the car, luckily she was easy to corral into her regular carrier!! 0.0 Annie went into her small carrier too, since my teeny car wouldn't accommodate the big crate, and off we went! Neither girl made a peep for the entire journey with me (though Emma drooled a bit at first), and I got them to the store faster than I would have believed possible.

They were pretty shut down with stress by the time we got there, so I got them into the condo with all of their things as quickly as I could, and then I bought a blanket to cover part of the condo to give them some privacy. They have a big bed and a blanket that smell like home, as well as their familiar litterbox and toys, so I spritzed a little feliway and left them to unwind.

These two were clearly dearly loved! The sheer number of toys that arrived with them is astonishing! They also have more treats, brushes, dishes, and goodies than you can shake a stick at! Despite clearly being terrified by the unexpected journey and being handled by a stranger, they were both very sweet and easy to handle. Even Emma only hissed at me once, then once I had her in my arms she quieted down and let me move her.

I AM a little concerned about their health. I think it is likely that once Gini got sick, monitoring the girls' food intake became too much to handle and they are both VERY portly. Nothing that can't be managed with time and careful feeding, but I DO want to run bloodwork on both of them to check for diabetes. (and just in general because it's a good idea!) We have an appointment on Monday the 13th, where we'll do exams and bloodwork. The low-cost vaccine clinic that stops by my work will do shots and microchips the evening prior to the appointment. I'm thinking that I'll get them carriers which open from the top....they are actually so portly that they can't be scruffed, so getting them out the small doors on their carriers was much more stressful on them (and me) than it needed to be.

And of course, I know everyone is wanting pics, not my ramblings, so here they are...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/emma.jpg
Emma actually seemed interested in the journey, peering out the front of the carrier.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/annie.jpg
Annie OTOH wanted nothing to do with the box or the car or the new people or the noises.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/emma2.jpg
Emma snuggling into their bed. Here you can see the weight issue, both kitties are around the same size.

I have $475 for them right now. $375 from Gini's brother (Who said that I was being compensated for gas) and $100 from Lisa (Lisa...I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know who you are on here, please let me know!!) If anyone wants to send Annie and Emma a paypal donation my paypal address is [email protected]

I spent about $66 getting them here, so I'm going to keep $60 for gas, and the rest is ALL for the girls. Anything that is left once they are vetted is for their new owners. I promised that I'd be 100% clear where every penny went. They came with lots of canned food, but I did get them a bag of SUPER low calorie kibble (Natural Balance Fat Cats formula, actually) and a bag of litter, which came to $38.35, and I spent $12.99 on the blanket that I covered their condo with. Soooo we have $363.66. :) I'm not sure exactly how much exams and bloodwork will be, though in this area exams are generally $50. The low cost vaccine people are going to discount their normal (already low!) prices even more for me because they are AWESOME. I will keep this thread updated (I'll shoot for every day at least a short update) and as soon as I know more PT will know more.

Catty1
01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
HAPPYDANCEHAPPYDANCEHAPPYDANCE!!!!!!!!

Hello, dearest Emma and Annie! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

I just know that Gini is overjoyed!

slick, snakemama, Noah's Mommy, you people just ROCK!!! And all who supported this....just WOW!

And yes, they are a bit, er, FLUFFY....

YAAAY!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

slick
01-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Donation sent. Should cover all the vet bills, I hope.

mrspunkysmom
01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Beautiful sweet girls. Ginger girls are unusual, as I'm sure most of you know. Can't wait until they calm down and settle in. I'd send some if I could.

snakemama
01-06-2014, 12:26 AM
I am........totally speechless at the generosity of the loving hearts on PT. Thank you Slick. Slick sent me $1000 CAD via paypal, which put $879 USD in A&E's account, so the girls have $1242.66 which ....I am tearing up and fumbling for words...Gini, Annie, and Emma are all lucky to have such loving friends.

I hope to have more relaxed pictures of both of the girls tomorrow evening after work!

slick
01-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Damn that CAD currency. Are you sure it wasn't more than that? I did pay $1000 CAD but that should have been around $940 USD not only $879?????

Karen
01-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Glad to see they arrived safely. I know that, since Gini's death, they were shut in half the space they were used to having, and spent much of their days alone, and didn't get a lot of playtime with humans, so it is not unexpected that they gained weight. But hopefully once everything settles down all can be managed safely!

I am glad it all took place with a minimum of hissing and no bloodshed, given everything they ave been through recently!

Blass you all, and glad their big journey is over and they are safe.

phesina
01-06-2014, 09:16 AM
HOORAY!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!

The cats and I are all doing the Happy Dance!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
01-06-2014, 09:49 AM
The power of Pet Talk strikes again. I am so happy to see how people (some that have never even met each other) have pulled together to make it happen. :D

NoahsMommy
01-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Great pics, Cathy!!! I'm so glad everything worked out so well for your trip home. They really are sweeties. I noticed that once Emma was in her crate - or on the back seat/window of my car she chilled out fast. :)

I'm sending Mike's other check -$235- to you tomorrow. So you can add that to their total. :) What LUCKY girls they are. So blessed and loved.

Slick, my friend, you are a most generous, kind and loving angel. :love: Love you!!! :love:

I was a little surprised at their 'dress size' as well...but like it's been said, was 100% impossible for our poor Gini to help. Especially as her brother Bill is allergic and not helping w them. Gladys was there for the house and to help w Gini. It couldn't be helped. And like Cathy says, hopefully being put on a good diet food will solve this problem. :)

Thank you all so much! Especially Cathy, Slick, Tonya (zippykat) and Staci (shaismom), etc, etc, etc! Having help and support w all this has been invaluable! There is no way we could have done this without you all. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Here they are before Emma's escape...

NoahsMommy
01-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry! My phone keeps flipping their photo!

redbird
01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
So glad to hear Emma and Annie are now safe and sound. Bless you for helping them out.

snakemama
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Damn that CAD currency. Are you sure it wasn't more than that? I did pay $1000 CAD but that should have been around $940 USD not only $879?????

Paypal fees took a little snip. :/

snakemama
01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Oh! Kelly reminded me via text message - I DID put latches on their condo to prevent Emma's clever paws from opening any doors. There are two doors, and each door got two locks!

Freedom
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Well done, everyone!

You likely know this, but don't feed them 'just' dry kibble - I did that for about 14 years as that was what the vet told me. I have since learned cats need soft / moist food as they don't usually drink much water. By nature, they get all the fluid they need from their 'prey,' so they aren't drinkers like dogs are. The lack of fluid helps to develop thryoid and kidney issues. I learned this the hard way, 4 of my cats have gone that route.

Ginger girls are rare and hence special!

snakemama
01-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I did leave some Fancy Feast out for them too - I don't go in until this evening and I have asked my employees to leave them be completely for the first day so that only one stranger is putting hands in their condo until they've had a little time to rest and recuperate and get used to me. Hopefully the Fancy Feast will be gone, and maybe a bite or two of kibble too.

Randi
01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Oh, it's wonderful to hear Annie and Emma have arrived safely. They do look like they need some peace and quiet to wind down. So many new things happening in their lives and they sure miss Gini... like we all do, but I'm sure Gini is dancing a happy dance up there. Thank you so much to all of you who have helped. :love:

I'll send you a PM about a contribution.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I am so happy they are safe and resting up now. Myself, I'd much rather see a fat cat than one that was skin and bones. Hopefully, when they get settled and have lots of room to play and the correct food, they will slim down. I'm sure our Gini is smiling down on all who helped them!!! :love:

Litterati
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Wonderful news!!! Terrific to see how obstacles can be overcome when caring and concerned people are willing to make a turnaround happen. Kudos to all who helped make this miracle happen for these kitties and in honour of Gini, whom I did not know but was clearly a lovely lady with equally lovely friends. :D

krazyaboutkatz
01-06-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm so glad to hear that they arrived safely.:) I hope that their vet exams and tests go well and they calm down quickly. I've learned that if you have an overweight cat that you should feed it less dry and more canned food because canned food has much less carbs in it than canned. You don't want them to lose weight too quickly though or they can get fatty liver disease. When my Ziggy was getting overweight my vet told me to feed her only 1/4 of a cup of dry food a day and feed her a lot of canned. This really worked for her. I now feed mine Merricks Healthy Weight dry food which is grain free to everyone except Alani who is on a special urinary diet. Good luck.:)

NoahsMommy
01-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Cathy and I have been texting so I can get updates on how A and E are settling in. Cathy is brushing Annie and rubbing her ears - which Annie is enjoying greatly. :) Gini's brothers told me they could tell Annie especially missed her daily 'cuddles and love sessions' when Gini got sicker and passed away. So I know Annie is in heaven with Cathy's attention. :love: :) (((Cathy))) Thank you so much for doing all this. :)

NoahsMommy
01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Oops! I wasn't done!

She said Emma is being kinda bratty when she tries to touch her, so she's leaving her be. :) I remember when the girls first moved into Gini's house from outside Gini had to invest a lot of time and patience into Emma. I know that seeing Annie enjoying all the love and attention will help. :love: :)

Karen
01-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Oops! I wasn't done!

She said Emma is being kinda bratty when she tries to touch her, so she's leaving her be. :) I remember when the girls first moved into Gini's house from outside Gini had to invest a lot of time and patience into Emma. I know that seeing Annie enjoying all the love and attention will help. :love: :)

Yes, jealousy is a powerful motivator - the one time my Dad ever got to see Pippin, LadysOtherHuman's original kitty, was when Dad was sitting in their apartment scratching Lucas kitty, and Lucas was purring so loud Pip came out to get in on the act and didn't notice (until he spoke) that it was my Dad doing the skritching, not Lady'sHuman!

snakemama
01-06-2014, 11:28 PM
I had a looooooong chat with the vet today and we opted to bump our appointment up to tomorrow, most likely so that she can tell me I'm overreacting and that I need to calm down too!

I *think* someone was picking at the canned food today, and all of the Temptations treats I put out early in the evening vanished, so I put some more out before I went home for the evening.

I also got a real purr out of Annie. My employees moved them to the break room this afternoon because it was busier than usual in the store. Once we closed, I opened one of the condo doors and sat down and chatted/sang to them and spent some time petting each of them. Emma doesn't care much for petting, so I mostly talked/sang to her. Annie really enjoyed her ear rubs though! She purred contentedly for quite awhile, until my behind got cold and i had to get up! They spent the afternoon in the bed together, but when I went to take pictures Annie had decided to curl up in the litterbox for awhile. (?? at least it was clean!)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-06191422.jpg
Emma in the bed. She's pretty interested in watching what's going on, even if she's not ready for petting yet.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-06191514.jpg
Annie in the litterbox, right after our petting session.

I'm hoping they are able to relax soon and can come back up front, I think they'll get a kick out of being able to watch the budgies in their cage!

I wrestled with myself about the carriers today, and finally decided to spring for two big, sturdy carriers that open from the top so it'll be easier to get them in and out to the vet/etc. The carriers came to $93.94, so subtracting that, and adding the second check that's on the way from Mike, we're up to $1383.72. What an astonishing group of people we have here. :)

I feel the weight of responsibility for these two much more than with any other fosters I've ever had. Knowing how many people are rooting for these two and relying on me to do what's best for them is both very comforting and a little scary.

I also felt, tonight...like someone was watching us and sending warm, happy vibes while I was petting Annie. I don't know for sure, but maybe Gini sent me a smile.

snakemama
01-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Also, does anyone have any experience or thoughts about using rescue remedy?

slick
01-07-2014, 10:55 AM
You know the last time I slept at Gini's in 2010 I had both cats on the bed with me and Emma especially was belly-up and she and I enjoyed the most amazing time with belly rubs, so the potential is there. She just takes time to get to know you.

If you can imagine the stress these two beauties have been through for the last 6 months, it's no wonder that they are acting strange. I know first hand that given time, they will come around.

As for rescue remedy I did try it once years ago when I had Max and Speckles but it didn't seem to work that well so I gave up. Mind you I've also heard good things about lavender. Jackson Galaxy swears by something called Spirit Essences and I'm not sure if that works or not. Just could be a marketing scheme but I'll try and do some research on it.

Thank you again Cathy for all you are doing. I just know that Gini's heart is bursting with all the support Annie and Emma are getting. Love the pictures and thanks for the updates. :love::love::love:

Alysser
01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
So glad they've arrived safely. I hope they come to a new sort of normal soon. I may have missed this but do they have a home lined up yet?

lizbud
01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
The girls look great to me.:) Clear eyes & they look bright and alert. Fur looks good.i think it'll be good to get the Vet appt.
over with so you know what you're dealing with in the health department. To me, it looks like the A & E will probably adjust
just fine. Just takes time & patience and, of course, TLC.:) They are both beautiful ladies.:love::love:

Karen
01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Sending you big, strong hugs! You are doing the most amazing and special thing ever, and if it were possible for all of us to love you any more, we would! I think they will need a couple weeks to be sure life is stable again, and love and attention will be an ongoing thing!

cassiesmom
01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
They are beautiful! Snakemama, I am sending you huge hugs !! I hope Annie will be willing to receive cuddles and love sessions very soon. Maybe Emma will be comfortable being pet and loved on eventually, too. :love: :love:

mrspunkysmom
01-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Just Hugs and encouragements. Believe!

Scooter's Mom
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Haven't been posting much but wanted to say THANK YOU!

AdoreMyDogs
01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
I have not been on PT lately, but I've been praying up a storm for those two girls to get a second chance at life. I'm so, so happy! Thank you for the amazing news, thank you for all you did for them :) Even though I don't come to PT much these days, I still feel like part of the "family". I'm proud of everyone involved that helped these precious kitties. How horrible it would have been to not only lose Gini, but also her furbabies. I will go to sleep easier tonight knowing they will be safe, loved, and will have a happy life :love:

snakemama
01-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Thank you again to everyone for your continued support and kind words! They mean a lot to me. :love:

The vet visit went REALLY WELL! I've been searching for a new vet(The vet I had been using hired a new doctor...who had been fired from her last clinic for verbally abusing my sister in law....small world huh?), and one hospital kept popping up in my searches as being great with cats. Then, completely unrelated, my aunt mentioned the same hospital and how much she LOVED them. Well, I can see why! If anyone is curious their website is http://pinnaclevets.com/

Dr. St. Germaine was amazing, and SHE GOT BOTH GIRLS TO EAT! It was just a few cookies, but it was more than I've gotten them to eat! She set them up on the table on a towel and just chatted to them and stroked their ears, and they both ate half a dozen or so greenies. She suggested some changes to the condo to make the girls feel safer, and then got me a bottle of Feliway, which I am to use generously until they're feeling better. :) Tomorrow I'll be returning the bag of kibble, adding more types of wet food, and heating it a teeny bit to make it more appetizing. If they aren't into the wet food tomorrow afternoon, they get a can of tuna! I also added a cardboard box for hiding (Going to look for a bigger one tomorrow, recycle-bin diving in the dark is not something I'm very good at...) which Emma likes.

I'm going to have to set up a playpen or fence off part of the store for Annie tomorrow too, because she is BORED! She wants to explore, and she did get an hour or so to wander around tonight, but she was disgruntled that I kept nudging her away from spots where a kitty would be hard to get to. Hehehe. When I finally decided to put her back in the condo and head home, her tail was giving irritated twitches and she kept trying to walk back out as I was closing the door! I'm hoping the fact that she's so animated now means she'll be hungry soon.

Both girls look to be in pretty good health for their size, aside from some yucky teeth (another reason to ditch the kibbles!). I should hear back about the bloodwork tomorrow.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-07181704.jpg
Here is Emma looking relaxed before her exam. As long as Annie is in her line of sight, she's pretty content.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-07181336.jpg
I think they both liked their carriers....here is Annie asking for tummy rubs in the exam room!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-07181721.jpg
Keeping an eye on each other!

I didn't know, but apparently this vet hospital does a free first exam on new rescues, so all I paid for was the bloodwork and the feliway. :) It was $326.50, so they still have $1057.22. (I'm using this thread to keep track largely for myself, because I lose pieces of paper!)

cassiesmom
01-07-2014, 11:23 PM
They're beautiful! Dear beautiful Emma and Annie, I am so glad you each munched on a few greenies! Annie, I am glad you got tummy rubs and Emma, you look pretty good to me in the picture where you have Annie in your view. Please try to eat your wet food, please pretty please. I am sending more positive (paw-sitive!) thoughts and good wishes for you two!

mbsmum
01-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Emma und Annie look great. I did not Gini, she must have been a great person. Thank you.

NoahsMommy
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Cathy just texted to say she got BOTH girls to eat today!!! :) YAY!!! I know her kindness, persistence and genuine heart :love: is helping to work her way into the girls world. I just know they'll see how much she is trying to make them comfy and happy.

Bless you, Cathy, for all you're doing with the girls. They have an amazing ANGEL in you. I know with all my heart and soul and Gini is ecstatic they are with you right now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :) And what an amazing vet - she sounds like she truly 'gets' cats. :)

P.S. I love their new carriers!! These are exactly what Mike and I ordered for them, but wouldn't get here in time, so they got their travel crate/kitty condo instead. Gini sure was steering us all in the same direction, huh?

((((((Cathy))))))

((((Annie and Emma)))))

Karen
01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
That's good, as we know not eating at all can cause issues, so it's good to hear they are continuing to settle in okay!

mrspunkysmom
01-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Wonderful news for Annie and Emma! You are doing a great job!

Pardon me for having to ask, but what type of store do you own?

moosmom
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
THANK YOU Snakemama! Those girls are in wonderful hands!

snakemama
01-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Wonderful news for Annie and Emma! You are doing a great job!

Pardon me for having to ask, but what type of store do you own?

I'll write up a more detailed reply in half an hour or so, but I had a moment so I thought I'd pop in and say I manage a pet feed store. We don't carry any animals, but we have two budgies who live in the store, and Annie likes to listen to their chirpy noises. :)

It's a REALLY quiet store for the most part, and both myself and my employees have been diligent about wheeling the kitty condo into the back any time there are noisy crowds....which generally is just for 90 minutes once a week when we have a low cost vaccine clinic come through, but occasionally a big family comes in and I don't think A&E would appreciate noisy kiddos.

snakemama
01-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Okie, more detailed update before bed. I came in to work this morning to find that the wet food was almost all gone and the dry food had been picked at too! I was on cloud nine, and I called the vet who cheered with me! Apparently they made a big impression on the receptionist, because she was cheering them on too! I'm HOPING they both ate, but there's no real way for me to tell since I wasn't watching. A few hours later, the doc called me back to tell me that all of their bloodwork was great! Kidney, liver, etc...all well within normal range. There was a slightly elevated...er...somethingorother for both of them, but apparently it's something that is typically elevated during times of stress and nothing to worry about.

We had lots of lap time today with both of them, and after several vigorously applied biscuits punctured my skin we did manicures for both of them too. Emma still doesn't seek out my attention, but she leans into my hand when I rub her face and ears so I think she appreciates the attention. She doesn't cringe away anymore at least! Annie REALLY likes lap time, she spent most of my lunch break keeping my lap warm and watching what was happening around us. Neither of them was really into food today, so I'm hoping for more empty bowls tomorrow morning. I put out two bowls with different wet foods, and I did bring a can of tuna with me just in case. :)

My employees hooked a BIG playpen to the condo today and once we were confident that it was escape-proof, we opened the condo door. Nobody ventured out on their own, but they both sniffed around when I took them out, and they both spend time in the big bed out in the playpen.

And of course, pictures!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-08190132.jpg
Cuddled up in the big bed after brushing and manicures.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-08194056.jpg
I found a bigger box today so they can hide out together!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-08182133.jpg
Emma can't decide if she's happy or annoyed to be in my lap.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-08182108.jpg
I admit, I'm slightly obsessed with Annie's nose freckles! One of my customers is a kindergarten science teacher, and she told me there is a technical name for the spots. I looked it up: it's letigo simplex. :) You can't see it very well in this picture, but she has freckles on her eyelids too!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-08175801.jpg
The thing my vet emphasized the most is that they need lots of hiding places, so I exchanged the bag of food they didn't like for this covered bed, and Emma took to it right away!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/2014-01-08175726.jpg
I just thought Annie's expression in this one was too sweet! :love:

I'm already wishing that I could just take them home and call them mine. Unfortunately, Kyubey has developed a habit of licking himself bald in huge patches whenever he's stressed by new things (putting up the Christmas tree resulted in s 3x5" bald patch on his back >.<) so bringing in new adult cats is out of the question. Sigh.

Karen
01-09-2014, 01:25 AM
It all sounds great, and we know you will help them get the best furrever home! Here's to empty plates in the morning!

slick
01-09-2014, 01:55 AM
Oh my Lord, I'm crying happy tears over here. This is so wonderful!! In a couple of months if they are still there I can send you a bit more money. Heck, who needs the frivolities of life when the money can go to this. :love::love::love: I showed Gini the pictures and she is thrilled. Grinning from ear to ear.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm already wishing that I could just take them home and call them mine. Unfortunately, Kyubey has developed a habit of licking himself bald in huge patches whenever he's stressed by new things (putting up the Christmas tree resulted in s 3x5" bald patch on his back >.<) so bringing in new adult cats is out of the question. Sigh.

Is he an only cat? Maybe he would like some friends? :love:

Grace
01-09-2014, 11:42 AM
There was a slightly elevated...er...somethingorother for both of them, but apparently it's something that is typically elevated during times of stress and nothing to worry about.

That is most likely the glucose level. When I take mine to the Vet - if they have blood drawn - it's the glucose that is often elevated.

snakemama
01-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Just a brief update today 'cause I'm wiped! I left out two bowls of wet food last night and both of them were empty this morning! Tracey came to visit them tonight too. :)

Karen
01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Aww, cool!

shais_mom
01-09-2014, 10:38 PM
finally got time to read thru this - and Cathy I KNOW it was Gini that you felt "over your shoulder" :)
Thank you for doing this for A&E and Miz Gini. She was special to a lot of us. I remember when I stayed with Gini in 2006 I woke up at one point having Emma curled behind my legs. I usually don't have an affinity for cats - dogs I can usually draw out but not cats. I was quite pleased with myself :)
I'll get a donation to you Cathy since I didn't get to send a memorial or flowers for Gini's memorial service.

shais_mom
01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
ok I sent the money and b/c I chose the send money to a friend/family member I **THINK** you should get the whole amount?

snakemama
01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Thank you Staci!! The ladies have $1112.22. On Sunday, if they continue to eat and explore, we'll do vaccines and microchips. Then I'll give them a few days to recover and make sure they're continuing to do well before scheduling dental cleaning! I'm going in to work a little late today because I helped someone load some stall mats into their truck and I am HURTING today, so I'll see them in a couple of hours. :)

Randi
01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm so glad you keep us updated on Annie and Emma, and I'm sure Gini is following closely from up there how they're doing. :)

I loved the pictures of them! Did you say our Tracey came to visit? I hope she got some pics, too.

Have sent you a contribution to their care, you should have it in a few days. Let me know.

Give Annie and Emma some kisses from me, please. :love:

snakemama
01-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Thank you SO MUCH Randi! I'll update immediately when I get it!

Today was a real breakthrough - I got a REAL PURR out of Emma! She looked so sad today...she spent most of the day with Annie in the cardboard box, not peering out or anything, I was getting very worried. I pulled her out for lap time in the afternoon, but one of my employees had to leave early so lap time got interrupted. In the evening, I stayed after and took her out again. She sat in my lap for a few minutes, then got up and tried to go back in the condo. I set her in the bed on the floor instead, hoping she would at least look around and be curious about her surroundings.

She looked around for a few minutes and even ate a couple of treats when I offered them, then went back into the condo and tucked herself into the covered bed. I reached in and started petting her in the bed, and she rolled over for a belly rub! (no mean feat for such a big kitty in such a little bed!) I rubbed her belly for a few minutes, and after a minute or so I felt a rumble...is that really a purr? I reached a little closer to her chin to be sure, and it was!! I went from intensely worried to delighted in an instant!

Annie has observed where the playpen opens when I come in, and she eyeballs that corner whenever she's wandering around. I keep waiting for her to try and shove it open to go for a proper wander. :)

Oh! I want to get them a scratcher! Does anyone who had stayed with Gini recall what they liked to scratch on? Cardboard/carpet, slanted/horizontal/vertical, etc? If not, I'll start with the basic flat cardboard scratcher and work my way up!

I didn't forget pictures either :P

Here's Emma's blissful bellyrubs!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/emmabellyrubs.jpg

And Annie pondering the best way to get out of the playpen!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/annieexplore.jpg

cassiesmom
01-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Yay, Emma! You purred! Hooray! *kisses* And Annie, you are so funny! I can see your kitty brain working on how to get out of the playpen! I am sending you some gentle petting and *kisses*, xxoo!

Karen
01-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Cathy, thank you so much for the updates on the girls, it really means a lot to all of us to see them adjusting and looking so well.

snakemama
01-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Well fooey, I forgot to get pictures today. It was the end of my work week, and I have tomorrow and most of Monday off, though I'll be stopping in to clean their condo and feed/snuggle them. Tomorrow is vaccine day! I talked it over with Annie tonight, and we agreed that they would both prefer to get their microchips while they are blissfully asleep having their teeth cleaned, so microchips have been postponed. If they continue to be happy and hungry after vaccine day, I'll call the white-coats on Tuesday to schedule the dentals.

Today a big dog barked once at the girls, and while they were both startled, I sat down with them a few minutes lat and they both seemed completely recovered. Today was also the first day I let someone other than myself come in to the playpen and pet them. Towards teh end of the night, when we were having lap time, one of my favorite customers came in. She's a lively older lady with a soft spot for orangies and a lot of kitty rescues under her belt, so I knew she would love them and she did! She also teaches at a local community college and has a LOT of contacts, and she offered to help put the word out about two sweeties needing a cozy bed to sleep in. :)

I also got an email today with a donation from Richard, putting the girls at $1212.22. Thank you Richard and crew! You rock! ^_^

And now...I worked over 50 hours this week, it's time for a hot bath! LoL. I'll be back tomorrow!

Catty1
01-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you SO MUCH for the updates - the pics are just a bonus. So you 'talked things over' with Annie? ;):D Good thing she was agreeable. :D

I just feel when the right home comes along they will do just fine. They are still youngish and have many years ahead of them.

Bless you all for transporting and helping them!

phesina
01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
We are all joining in with blessings and warm loving wishes for all concerned!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Pat and cats

snakemama
01-13-2014, 12:08 PM
I completely forgot to come update after vaccines yesterday! The vet that comes with the low cost vaccine clinic to my store is a sweetheart. My employees had wheeled the condo into the back before the clinic arrived since we tend to get a lot of bouncy, noisy puppies and very upset kitties coming in for their shots. When I got there, the vet asked "Oh, those two in the back?" and was VERY concerned that they were going to try to escape and get loose in the store. I explained to her that two calmer cats would be nearly impossible to come by, we closed up all the doors, and they were vaccinated and back in their beds very quickly.

It was chaotic enough in the store that I thought cuddle time would be more stressful than happy for them, so I heated up some wet food and threw in a handful of greenies and chatted with them for a few minutes before I left.

Since their vaccine records weren't found I opted to act as though they were due and we did a rabies and FVRCP for each of them. (Don't worry, they ONLY offer the safer PureVax rabies, none of those dangerous three year rabies vaccines - ick!) The vaccine clinic recommends I boost the FVRCP in a month, but I'm going to ask their regular vet about that too, because I'm skeptical that they need another one at their age. No FeLV of course, because I have no intention of adopting them to someone who will let them outside. :)

The low-cost clinic is such a bunch of sweethearts that they gave me a discount off of their already pretty darn low prices and it was $84 for both girls. They still have $1138.22. ^_^ If they are still happy and eating well, I'll be scheduling dentals verrry soon!

Karen
01-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Aww, all good news! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Catty1
01-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Yay! Glad all went so well and that they even got a discount! Everyone must know how special they are! :D:love:

NoahsMommy
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Excellent news and progress, Cathy! I'm so proud of the girls for realizing you are 'good people' and trusting you enough to see it for themselves. You go girls!! (Cathy included!) :love:

That pic of Emma getting BELLY RUBS is amazing! A feral girl getting tummy rubs?!? So great! Gini must be near and so HAPPY! :) :love: :)

Thank you to everyone for your donations, comments and support. I'm sure they help Cathy a lot. You're doing an amazing thing, Cathy!

I've been copying Cathy's updates and sending them to Mike and his daughters (Gini's beloved nieces) as are really interested. They are very happy the girls are doing so well. I've edited the parts about where they are as his conditions where 'forever home' or nothing. :( This is why I'm not referring him to this thread. I did originally (the the first thread). :) ;)

The following day after transport I returned to Gini's home to pick up Gini's 'cat art'. Mike gave it to us to hopefully benefit the girls. There is a lot of it - and I'll take pics and post them all. His idea was to 'sell' it for a donation - which would go to Annie and Emma's care. Not sure what everyone thinks about that - if PTers aren't interested (It would have to also include shopping fees as I am unemployed and cannot afford to pay for it on my own.) I don't know where else to use it for donations. Anyone's thoughts are welcomed. :)

snakemama
01-14-2014, 10:35 PM
I'd love to see Gini's art, and buy a piece for myself :) I think that's a great idea!

Not much to update today....I put Advantage on both of them since I spied one flea on Annie, and where there's one there are probably more. They probably picked them up from someone bringing them in on their shoes or something. >.< Emma was so offended by the Advantage that I couldn't even coax her into looking at me afterward, so I'll have ot make extra time for them both tomorrow evening!!

cassiesmom
01-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Sending hugs and lovies to Annie and Emma! Hello, sweet orangie ladies! Annie, are you still trying to figure a way out of the play pen? Emma, are you still offended about the Advantage? I am sending you gentle petting for whenever you think you're ready. :love:

snakemama
01-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Good news and worrisome news tonight

First! After closing tonight I pulled Emma into my lap and got her REALLY into some cuddling. There is a total lovebug hiding inside that nervous little lady! I am so thrilled at how much she's opening up, though she's only open to lap time once we're closed and nobody else is walking around. I thought she might need some extra love because last night their water bowl got knocked down and there was broken pottery in the condo! :eek: Not to worry though, I cleaned it all, checked both girls over thoroughly, and bought a stainless steel replacement which I placed in a more secure location.

Anyways, Emma was being cuddly and wonderful and adorable, and Annie was pacing back and forth anxiously, rubbing on my hands, waiting impatiently for her turn! Finally, she got sick of waiting, climbed ON TOP of Emma, and plonked herself down! She spent the next ten minutes licking my hands, Emma's side, and her paws, until my legs went numb and I had to get up!

The worrisome news is that while we were cuddling, I felt a mass on Emma's right shoulder. Since I had the phone on me for picture taking purposes, I called the vet about 30 seconds later and scheduled an appointment for Monday to have the mass biopsied. If it's something alarming, it can be removed when the girls go to have their teeth cleaned on the 28th. It feels like a lipoma, please send good vibes for it to be a nice benign lipoma!!

Here's the "catpile" on my lap! Annie's head is blurry because she was grooming Emma at the time!
Edited because I just realized that in this picture you can see the mass on Emma's shoulder. It looks bigger than it is because her fur is sticking out (once I found it I couldn't stop myself from prodding at it hoping that I was imagining things) but it's about the diameter of a fifty cent piece and a little thicker than one.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/catpile.jpg

I bought them a new bowl, new litter scoop, and a bag of litter today for $17.89 (gotta love that employee discount!) so we've still got $1120.33. :)

mbsmum
01-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Good vibes on the way to Emma. Hope the mass is nothing serious.

Catty1
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Wow! Gini would be thrilled to see the orangie pile on your lap! That is fantastic!!!

As for the mass on Emma's shoulder, it is likely nothing - prayers that it turns out to be a nothing! :love::love::love:

NoahsMommy
01-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Wow! Gini would be thrilled to see the orangie pile on your lap! That is fantastic!!!

I'm certain she can see this...and is thrilled! :) :D :) My heart is so happy reading and seeing this! :love:

I'll be praying Emma's mass is OK...maybe like the 'wisdom' spots/growths humans get. Thanks for the update!

Karen
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
I am hoping it is nothing serious, and got a grin from the "mid-grooming" picture, and of course she just plunked herself right on top of her sister - your lap is only so big! :) Such fun that you are making sun good profess with them both!

snakemama
01-16-2014, 04:39 PM
POTENTIAL ADOPTER ALERT! :D

I haven't heard from the customer who was my contact for the lady and her daughter - which worries me a little, as she is usually a once-a-week customer and I haven't seen her in almost three weeks. HOWEVER, as I was leaving today one of my favorite regulars came in and expressed interest in getting to know A&E better.

I had a headache or I would have stayed to chat with her longer, but we agreed that I'd call her as soon as I had Emma's lab results back. I'm going to invite her to come by after closing some evening and get to see the girls really shine.

She is a sweet lady who lives near my store and has an assortment of pampered bunny rabbits. She also has one elderly cat who has lived with other cats before, since A&E have also I'm hopeful that they could be housemates with a careful introductory period. She is also the kind of person who never hesitates to get her pets the care they need, even if it means stretching her finances. I'm tentatively hopeful and excited for this match! Please send prayers and good vibes for everything to go smoothly...biopsy, dental work, and placement!

phesina
01-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Prayers and good wishes that all goes well, with the best possible outcomes!

Karen
01-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Aww, that would be fun! Prayers said!

Randi
01-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Oh Cathy, that sounds promising, she sounds like the right kind of lady. :) I so hope A&E's biopsy results come back fine, and their dental work goes smoothly.

Give them some kisses from me. :love:

NoahsMommy
01-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Fingers crossed and prayers said that all tests and their dentals go really well. :) :D

Yay!!! This is excellent news! I hope she gets to know our Annie and Emma, like you do, Cathy. It's a great idea for her to come by when it's quiet and they know it's 'love on the kitties' time. :love: :love:

snakemama
01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Well I feel sheepish...the lump I felt is inflammation form the FVRCP vaccine. It's already noticeably smaller than it was. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

I'm headed back to work to call their potential adopter and update her in abut five minutes, but I wanted to post the good news first! I got a good pic of Emma in the exam room which I will post later.

The vet only charged me for a re-check exam so it was $26.50. I also got them a slightly smaller litter box for the condo (Emma knocked theirs over and scared herself) and a blanket to go on top of their cardboard box, since that seems to be their new favorite spot. So that was $12.68 and they're well stocked up at $1081.15. :)

Karen
01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Well I feel sheepish...the lump I felt is inflammation form the FVRCP vaccine. It's already noticeably smaller than it was. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

I'm headed back to work to call their potential adopter and update her in abut five minutes, but I wanted to post the good news first! I got a good pic of Emma in the exam room which I will post later.

The vet only charged me for a re-check exam so it was $26.50. I also got them a slightly smaller litter box for the condo (Emma knocked theirs over and scared herself) and a blanket to go on top of their cardboard box, since that seems to be their new favorite spot. So that was $12.68 and they're well stocked up at $1081.15. :)

I figured the lump might be that, but it is always best to check! Everything is sounding good for the girls!

RICHARD
01-21-2014, 12:45 PM

One of my All-Time Favorite PT pet stories had to do with the 'skin tag' found on the belly of a cat.

After a tense wait and doctor's exam.......it turned out to be a nipple!

---------

Good news about the lump!!!!!

And thanks again for your kindness!

slick
01-21-2014, 09:31 PM
LOLOL Richard. I don't remember that one.

My Speckles used to get that lump after vaccination. When she got to be about 12, I stopped giving them to her.

Good news and thank you once again for all you are doing for these sweet babies. I so wish I could fly down there to see them.:(

snakemama
01-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I got two very sweet cards today, one of them had a note and a donation from Randi, the other was the second check from Mike, which Kelli was kind enough to pass along. :)

We're at $1111.15 :) I'm almost out of canned food, which is what Dr. St. Germaine wants them eating primarily, so we'll get stocked up in a few days. They're starting to turn their noses up at Fancy Feast in favor of Merrick and Wellness Core....these girls have good taste!

Catty1
01-22-2014, 12:16 AM
LOL! They deserve to be spoiled!

I wonder if the vet will want some kibble in their diet, or dental treats, after the dental surgery to help keep their teeth clean.

Hug those girls for me! :love:

NoahsMommy
01-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Cathy, I'm happy you were on guard - I think it's best to be safer than sorry, any time. :) :D

Glad you got Mike's $$ and my card. It sounds like the girls are doing well in your care - and it's good to hear about the potential new Mommy to the girls. Fingers crossed and prayers being said it's a good match. :D :love: :D

Thanks for all you are doing, Cathy! :love: :)

snakemama
01-26-2014, 12:57 AM
I'm still here lol - I worked over 50 hours this week, which means the girls are getting lots of attention but I haven't had much time to myself. Annie is starting to explore the pen more, and to demand pets from people other than myself. This evening one of my regulars was chatting with Annie, who was alternately hissing at her and begging for ear rubs. I was very confused by the exchange, but she was purring the entire time so I think she was enjoying herself....at any rate, she could have walked away from the petting and she didn't. 0.0 Such a character!

Annie drools a TON when petted, and Emma does a little bit too! It's pretty funny and adorable, my knees are constantly damp from drooly kitties in my lap!

Catty1
01-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm still here lol - I worked over 50 hours this week, which means the girls are getting lots of attention but I haven't had much time to myself. Annie is starting to explore the pen more, and to demand pets from people other than myself. This evening one of my regulars was chatting with Annie, who was alternately hissing at her and begging for ear rubs. I was very confused by the exchange, but she was purring the entire time so I think she was enjoying herself....at any rate, she could have walked away from the petting and she didn't. 0.0 Such a character!

Annie drools a TON when petted, and Emma does a little bit too! It's pretty funny and adorable, my knees are constantly damp from drooly kitties in my lap!

LIKE! :D:love::love::love:

carole
01-27-2014, 09:21 PM
WOW this story is amazing to read, one of the many reasons i have been on PT for over ten years, seeing the love from people here to help animals, it is truly fantastic. You were asking who Lisa is, i only know one Lisa here with a huge heart of gold and that would be KUHIO, i imagine it would be this lovely lady.

It is wonderful to see these kitties together, i hope they will stay together and be in a very loving home.keep up the great work , you guys rock.:):love::love:

cassiesmom
01-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Good news and thank you once again for all you are doing for these sweet babies. I so wish I could fly down there to see them.:(

I do too! Could you please give Emma and Annie a pet from me? Looking at their pictures always makes me smile :D Bless you, snakemama!

snakemama
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeek, soooooo...dentals are underway right now, and I just got a phone call I was NOT happy to receive. Both girls have EXTENSIVE damage to their mouths due to feline orthodontic resorptive lesions....basically, their bodies are trying to re-absorb their teeth. This is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful, to the point where even cats who are anesthetized will get a spike in their blood pressure if a lesion is poked.

So there's good news and bad news. The bad news, obviously, is that they've been in a lot of pain for a long time. Also, they will both have to have a LOT of teeth pulled and it's looking like it's going to be close to $2,000 per cat. I'm going to start a new thread once I get the total this evening and try to get some fund-raising suggestions from folks here. My hubby is unemployed, so today's bill is mostly going on the credit card and I'm just going to...uh...hope he doesn't notice!

The GOOD news is that they will both feel a million times better after they recover!! Emma in particular has one tooth which is broken off at the gumline with the root exposed, and having that tooth removed will improve her quality of life immensely! Annie is having three canines removed as well as a few others, she's under as I type this so I'll update as soon as I know more.

I'm torn between absolute elation and panic right now. :eek:

Here is a good article about resorptive lesions: http://www.avds-online.org/info/felinelesions.html

snakemama
01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Here they are last night; I gave both of them lots of treats since I had to take their food away when I left for the evening.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/p480x480/1497455_10200787085674326_1073563021_n.jpg

cassiesmom
01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Snakemama, are they having their teeth extracted today? I was just wondering if there would be an opportunity to raise the funds before they have the procedure. If not ... well, I have not contributed to the Annie and Emma fund yet, so this would be a good opportunity :love:!

snakemama
01-28-2014, 02:31 PM
They are having them done today. The original estimate before the dental x-rays revealed all the hidden lesions was much smaller! I'll keep everyone posted, and I will start a new thread once they're home recovering. :)

snakemama
01-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Annie is all done and waking up, and Emma is going under now!!

Catty1
01-28-2014, 06:23 PM
I know all about FORL - Oscar has lost about 10 teeth to it. After he woke from surgery and was on painkillers I swear he slept for 24 hours straight!:eek:

I think you have enough in the fund to make a down payment, right? Hopefully the vet will give you time to raise some more funds!

snakemama
01-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Okay, we're home and the girls are settled! They got some pretty heavy duty pain meds, so like Catty1 said they are conked out! The vet was a darling and only charged me for six extractions total, even though between them I think they had 17 extractions! 0.0 They both lost three canines, Annie has a top one left and Emma has a bottom one. They also got microchipped, and Annie will be on some clavamox for the next two weeks. They're be re-checked in two weeks to make sure they're all healed up and hopefully by then I'll have a home with a soft bed lined up for them!

It came to $2,074.76 for both of them plus $15.55 for some nice soft food, so we're -979.16 at the moment. I put the balance on my credit card and I was a little vague with the hubby about how big the discrepancy was, LoL. I'll start a new thread now, then I'm going to fall asleep 'cause I've been up since 6am for their early-morning drop off! ^_^

Catty1
01-29-2014, 12:49 AM
WOW! That vet has been great to you!

NoahsMommy
01-29-2014, 01:20 AM
Oh my gosh! Poor babies!!! Poor Cathy! This really has turned into a huge roller coaster of a day for you three, huh? Wow!

OK, I know with Gini's Artwork you'll be getting some more money for the girls, but I know it won't be even close to $1000. (I'll send you a text or PM) I have a few more pieces "for sale" in the thread and am considering emailing Mike - even though he made it clear once the kitties were sent to their new place, they ( the family) were officially done. :( :( :( I'll send him an email tomorrow once I've "slept on" what to say.

I'll be crossing my fingers and saying my prayers.

((((Cathy, Annie & Emma))))

Catty1
01-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Kelly, maybe just tell him about the dental work - which no one could have foreseen cost-wise - and tell him about the fund-raising you are considering. Thank him for his generous donation before, and if he knows any friends of Gini's locally that might want to help the girls, to let them know.

That's just an idea - so you aren't asking directly. :)

snakemama
01-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Kelly - don't feel like you have to tell Mike about the dentals, I know I wouldn't want to!! FORLs hide themselves very VERY well, and without the x-rays that were done there was NO WAY anyone could have known what was going on!

Yes Catty1, I'm loving Dr. St. Germaine and the crew at Pinnacle. It was a Dr. Forgy who did the procedures yesterday, and I laughed when she called in the morning to thank me for dropping off a dozen donuts when I dropped off the kitties, as she had forgotten her breakfast! I've been searching for a new vet since my current one has started scheduling appointments too close together and doesn't give the detailed attention to me and the pets that he used to, and I'm going to switch my animals to Pinnacle too!

mrspunkysmom
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
If you remember, Sam and I went through FORL recently. The vet even thought his was a tumor. Sam has had this before.

I hope the girls feel good soon.

I'm more than a month behind on rent, so I doubt I can give any now. It's a wait and see with me. Even a little will help, and I'll do my best.

snakemama
01-30-2014, 12:00 AM
They're feeling fine today! They both seemed a little sore, so a dose of pain meds this morning put them in a cheerful mood, and they both ate a tremendous amount of food. :) Annie has clavamox tablets to take for the next week and she is NOT going to be easy to medicate. I gave her her first dose easily enough, but she saw the second one coming and objected HEARTILY. I think I'm going to dig up my trusty pill popper and bring it to work.

Luckily she is a forgiving soul, and thirty seconds after the pill she was purring in my lap again. Maybe she'll be easier to pill once her gums aren't so sore.

And I totally understand not being able to give right now. A couple of years ago we lost our health insurance, and the medication my hubby was taking that was WORKING to control his depression was $1300 a month. Those were fun times. (not) I stopped taking my meds so hubby could have his and we could still eat.

Catty1
01-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh gosh - re the meds - I thought some drug companies had a plan where they could provide meds to people who couldn't afford them. Maybe contact the company?

Glad Emma and Annie feel better. Yep - pill popper or Pill Pockets sound like the answer! :love:

NoahsMommy
01-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Oh gosh - re the meds - I thought some drug companies had a plan where they could provide meds to people who couldn't afford them. Maybe contact the company?

Yes, you are 100% correct. If paying for meds - ESPECIALLY meds for depression - is a problem, you must tell your doctor. They have samples, coupons and a drug rep from the company to ask for help. Many drug companies have programs that give free (or low-cost) Rx to people that cannot afford them. It was never any problem in temporary situations (for free samples from the doctor's office/drug rep) when we had enough on hand, but we could also get more if we called the drug rep. We gave samples to patients in every office I've worked in - and could give 1-2 mos. supplies when they had financial situations like this. Please don't ever go without your Rx...I mean this for everyone. Pls spread the word to anyone this can help. They also make a lot of generic versions that are much less expensive than the brand name.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now. ;)

NoahsMommy
01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Oh! Cathy - about Mike. Yea, I'm a bit apprehensive because he made it very clear that once Annie and Emma were taken from Gini's, 100% of their care became the responsibility of their new owner. He also mentioned that no one knew their health condition, and this still applied to the "100% responsible thing". :( He said this MORE than once or twice, so it's obvious he meant it.

That said, an email won't hurt. It's not like I'm ever going to see him or the family ever again...
I'll let you know if I get any response.

PS The CarePages total is already up to $365! Yay!!!!

snakemama
01-30-2014, 11:16 PM
Hee hee, Annie has discovered the cardboard scratcher! I was sitting with her in my lap today, and I put her paws onto the scratcher and made gentle scratching motions with them. She didn't seem interested, but a few minutes later she reached out from my lap and scratched it vigorously while her butt was still firmly planted in my lap! After that, I heard her come out and scratch on it a few more times. :D

Emma was purring and happy this evening too. I suspect the fact that she doesn't have to take any more meds helped with that! Her one remaining canine is on the bottom, and looks like an adorable snaggletooth! I love it!

NoahsMommy
02-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Smart girl! I bet she is loving the attention - getting love AND scratching...heaven!

How are they doing tonight?

snakemama
02-02-2014, 12:17 PM
I went home early yesterday because hubby and I had tickets to see a play, but I did get a quick snuggle in. Annie is getting easier to pill, I don't even have to put her in my lap anymore. She looked so cozy cuddled up with Emma last night that I didn't want to disturb her, so I just opened her mouth and popped the pill in, and she swallowed it! I've never had such an easy time pilling a kitty, ever! <3

Today I'm writing up a little bio for them to go up on petfinder courtesy of the lady I adopted Katie from. I'll link it here once they're up!

snakemama
02-02-2014, 05:01 PM
OK, here's the profile I wrote up, what do you think?

Annie and Emma are a lovely, loving pair of orange tabby girls looking for a cozy bed to cuddle up in. Only about 25% of orange kitties are female, so two unusual orange ladies together should bring their new family lots of luck as well as love. They are sisters, born on March 26, 2002, and taken in by a wonderful lady in Los Angeles who loved them dearly until she passed away in November. Some friends of their owner got together to make sure Annie and Emma were taken care of. They are looking for a new family to love, hopefully before their twelfth birthday!

Annie is a social butterfly and a lover. When it's quiet, she comes looking for any warm lap she can find, and she will purr and purr and knead with her paws on her person or in the air. She also sometimes drools a bit when she's really relaxed (cute!!). Belly rubs are her next favorite thing to laps, and if she can't get into a lap she'll roll over and gaze invitingly at whoever is near to try and entice them into rubbing her belly. Plus, she has vivid, gorgeous nose freckles!

Emma also very loving, but she is shy and takes awhile to feel comfortable with new people and situations. She doesn't beg for affection the way Annie does, but if you rub her ears and talk to her quietly, she'll purr and close her eyes, and after awhile she'll even roll over for a belly rub!

Annie and Emma have lived with other cats before and would probably adjust well to a mellow feline companion. They had not met any dogs until they arrived in San Jose, and have been clear that they would prefer a home without dogs. They would probably be fine with respectful older children too. They have been indoor only kitties their entire lives and should stay indoors. Since they've been together for their entire lives and they're best friends as well as sisters, they would like to be adopted together.

They've been vaccinated, microchipped, and their teeth cleaned. They also both had bloodwork done, showing them both to be in excellent health! They are both overweight, and are starting to lose a bit of weight now that they're eating mostly wet food. These girls are mellow and very easygoing for things like nail clipping, brushing (Annie can't get enough of the slicker brush, I think she would happily be brushed from dawn until dusk), and checking their teeth. They use their litterbox faithfully, and Annie LOVES their cardboard scratcher.

Does your home have a warm lap and some nice sun puddles for these two lovely ladies to enjoy? Please email Cathy at [email protected] to arrange a meeting! (or leave a message at ***-***-****)

Karen
02-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Awww, perfect! Nice job!

Catty1
02-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Wonderful! Who could resist that beautiful description of these beautiful kitty sisters? :D:love::love:

shais_mom
02-02-2014, 11:13 PM
OK, here's the profile I wrote up, what do you think?

Annie and Emma are a lovely, loving pair of orange tabby girls looking for a cozy bed to cuddle up in. Only about 25% of orange kitties are female, so two unusual orange ladies together should bring their new family lots of luck as well as love. They are sisters, born on March 26, 2002, and taken in by a wonderful lady in Los Angeles who loved them dearly until she passed away in November. Some friends of their owner got together to make sure Annie and Emma were taken care of. They are looking for a new family to love, hopefully before their twelfth birthday!

Annie is a social butterfly and a lover. When it's quiet, she comes looking for any warm lap she can find, and she will purr and purr and knead with her paws on her person or in the air. She also sometimes drools a bit when she's really relaxed (cute!!). Belly rubs are her next favorite thing to laps, and if she can't get into a lap she'll roll over and gaze invitingly at whoever is near to try and entice them into rubbing her belly. Plus, she has vivid, gorgeous nose freckles!

Emma also very loving, but she is shy and takes awhile to feel comfortable with new people and situations. She doesn't beg for affection the way Annie does, but if you rub her ears and talk to her quietly, she'll purr and close her eyes, and after awhile she'll even roll over for a belly rub!

Annie and Emma have lived with other cats before and would probably adjust well to a mellow feline companion. They had not met any dogs until they arrived in San Jose, and have been clear that they would prefer a home without dogs. They would probably be fine with respectful older children too. They have been indoor only kitties their entire lives and should stay indoors. Since they've been together for their entire lives and they're best friends as well as sisters, they would like to be adopted together.

They've been vaccinated, microchipped, and their teeth cleaned. They also both had bloodwork done, showing them both to be in excellent health! They are both overweight, and are starting to lose a bit of weight now that they're eating mostly wet food. These girls are mellow and very easygoing for things like nail clipping, brushing (Annie can't get enough of the slicker brush, I think she would happily be brushed from dawn until dusk), and checking their teeth. They use their litterbox faithfully, and Annie LOVES their cardboard scratcher.

Does your home have a warm lap and some nice sun puddles for these two lovely ladies to enjoy? Please email Cathy at [email protected] to arrange a meeting! (or leave a message at ***-***-****)

I agree - PERFECT!

snakemama
02-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Here's their Petfinder page! Major thanks to Ava of FOSMAS for posting them up for me! (Unrelated: she also told me that Freddie - the renal failure kitty I took in temporarily last year - is holding steady! Wooo!!)

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/28451264/

Catty1
02-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Great news about Freddy!!! :D

carole
02-03-2014, 02:30 PM
what an extremely wonderful person you are to have done so much for these two precious furbabies, a bit sad that Gina's brother is not prepared to do more,the petfinder description and pics are just amazing, i wish you all the very best of luck in re homing these darlings.,and bless you for all you and others have done to find new homes for these girls, i am sure Gina is up above watching and so relieved her furbabies are being cared for so well.:love::love:

phesina
02-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Here's their Petfinder page! Major thanks to Ava of FOSMAS for posting them up for me! (Unrelated: she also told me that Freddie - the renal failure kitty I took in temporarily last year - is holding steady! Wooo!!)

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/28451264/

That's great news about Freddie! Keep on keeping on, dear fellow!!!

snakemama
02-09-2014, 08:26 PM
So...that went really well!! Two ladies came by to visit, and sat with A&E for over an hour. Initially the store was still open and the girls were a little nervous to come out because of all of the customers and my noisy employees being hiper and loud. >.< Once the store cleared out, I turned off some of the lights and put on some music, and they both showed off their charms.

Annie came out right away, plopped onto a lap, and settled in like she'd always been there. Emma had to be picked up out of the condo and placed into a lap, but once she was there she sat stiffly for a few minutes....then decided she was ok, and made herself comfortable. She was even purring!

Tomorrow they have their final re-check for their teeth, and afterward I'll be bringing them to the house. They will be doing a slow introduction to their two current kitties (who have lived peacefully with other cats before!) and as long as that goes well, I think they're home!

We talked for a long time, about good cat foods and being conservative with vaccines, and kitties we've known over the years. It felt like a conversation with friends, and they live literally a few blocks from me!

mrspunkysmom
02-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Fantastic. Purrayers for a good vet visit and harmonious intro into their new digs.

Catty1
02-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Wonderful! :):love:

I hope they might join Pet Talk and give us updates on those precious girls! :D

shais_mom
02-09-2014, 11:46 PM
fingers crossed and purrayers lifted -
and a little help from Phred and Gini wouldn't hurt either!! :D)

krazyaboutkatz
02-10-2014, 12:45 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D I hope that everything goes well. Good luck.:)

Randi
02-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Cathy, that's great news! Sounds very promising. :) Thank you so much for taking time to find them a perfect home. If these ladies take them, I hope they will keep us updated on PT.

Please give Annie and Emma some kisses for me - good luck, girls! :love:

snakemama
02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I just dropped A&E off with their new family. I left them Pet Talk's address, and they did promise to keep in touch with me with any questions. I also offered to cat sit if they ever need...they live around 1/2 a mile from me!

I did have to take off pretty quickly before I started tearing up. I'm gonna miss those girls. So happy right now! <3

Karen
02-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Awww, hopefully everything works out! Such happy news!

Catty1
02-11-2014, 12:52 AM
WOOT! I know Gini is thrilled! :D:love::love:

mbsmum
02-11-2014, 05:19 AM
Great news indeed. Hope Annie and Emma have a very happy and long life with the new purrents.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-11-2014, 09:32 AM
So, I take it the meet and greet with the other kitties went well? :D How wonderful for everyone. Thank you for helping those sweethearts. I'm sure gini is dancing all over heaven right now. :love:

shais_mom
02-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Yay!!!
:d:d:d:d:d:d

snakemama
02-13-2014, 01:15 AM
I got presents from A&E's new family on FB!

I thought it would take Emma awhile to come out of hiding...boy was I wrong! on the bed and everything!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/emma-1.jpg

I guess it helps when your sister is there to boost your confidence. :)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/girlsbed2.jpg

They look pretty relaxed to me!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/girlsbed.jpg

Karen
02-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Aww, how nice! Gini must be grinning away from heaven!

Randi
02-13-2014, 08:06 AM
How wonderful! Being on the bed means they're feeling fairly confident, or they would be under the bed. It's great they could stay together. Thanks for sharing the pictures - they look good! :)

I hope their new family will join PT and keep us updated here.

Taz_Zoee
02-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Aww, this just brings on the happy tears. This is so wonderful!!!
Thank you to everyone involved in this amazing feat, mostly Kelly and Cathy.

I love my Pet Talk family!!! :D :D

phesina
02-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Lovely... just lovely!!! Welcome HOME, Annie and Emma!

lizbud
02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Wow, the girls look great.:love::love: It's wonderful that they have a real home again.:) Thank you to all that helped make it
possible & especially snakemama for caring for them & smoothing the way to their new home. You guys are great people.:love::love::love:

Catty1
02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Now that they are in a house again, they know what and who the bed is for! :D How fantastic!! Their new people will keep them on their diet I hope. I wish them many long and happy years in their new home! :love::love:

NoahsMommy
02-13-2014, 07:29 PM
OK, wow!! This is amazing news! I just finished replying in the Fundraising thread - letting you know that Mike wants to make sure you have the money you paid out on behalf of the girls...and asking for the info from the vet so he can determine how much to send you for their account to be positive. Wow! Such a huge change. I'm still in shock at the difference in the two threads - sorry if I am not conveying my happiness for the girls well enough. :)

Are you still owed money? We need to make sure you aren't out, Cathy. Pls let me know, as I think Mike really wants to set this right, Ok? You can text - as it's much quicker to have a convo.

Yay!

snakemama
02-13-2014, 11:42 PM
LOL Kelly - I JUST sent you a PM before I saw this!! Like...ten seconds ago!

Trinityagain
02-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Happy Dance! Pet Talkers are the most amazing people on Earth!

slick
02-14-2014, 11:17 AM
I see that Annie is doing her leg raises, practising for the Cat-o-lympics.:love:

What an amazing journey for them and us all here too. Praises to you Kelly and to you Cathy for all you've done.

Welcome home girls!

Barbara
02-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Oh this is wonderful news. i hope Annie's and Emma's new parents read all these threads so that they know what a very special purrson Gini was and how much the world was keeping paws crossed for her girls:)
But they sound just right and I am so glad these two have a new home.

cassiesmom
02-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Oh this is wonderful news. i hope Annie's and Emma's new parents read all these threads so that they know what a very special purrson Gini was and how much the world was keeping paws crossed for her girls:)
But they sound just right and I am so glad these two have a new home.

I hope they will register for Pet Talk so we can stay in touch with them and get updates on Annie and Emma!

shais_mom
02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
awesome!!

NoahsMommy
02-15-2014, 01:50 PM
I just re-read the last few pages of this thread. Thank you so much for all you've done for the girls, Cathy. You've been an absolute angel to those girls and I know Gini will forever be your guardian angel!

I transferred $125 into your account and as soon as I get Maggie and Slick's money, I'll transfer the rest of the balance owed to you. You have gone so far above and beyond for these girls and I am personally so grateful to you. I wish I could have done more to help you. But with my health and (before this week) lack of a job all I could do was Gini's Art and get the girls to you.

Thank you so much Cathy! As Mike says, your Animal Karma is overflowing! :love:

NoahsMommy
02-15-2014, 02:11 PM
a bit sad that Gina's brother is not prepared to do more

Mike paid out over $1500 already for getting Annie and Emma to Cathy. He paid each person for mileage and food for each leg of our trips, for their huge crate, for their travel litter boxes and donated all Gini's Art to us to raise more money for the girls. He sent $245 for initial vet visits and vaccines. This is pretty good for someone allergic to cats and that doesn't 'get' this whole 'treat your cats/dogs/etc like family' thing. That money most likely came out of the family's inheritance. When I emailed him again after their tooth surgery he said he'd send money to cover whatever Cathy was out and even alluded that he would make sure they had enough food/supplies until we could find a home for them. This is AFTER we agreed that once I picked up the girls, they would be 100% our responsibility. (Something he made clear more than twice.)

Cathy found this home so quickly and the donations from PT and the art will meet the negative amount, so he won't have to do this after all.

I think this is amazingly kind and generous. He lives across the country from Gini, Cathy and I in Massachusetts and truly didn't have to do any of this. He could have easily had them put to sleep and moved on. Additionally, he was paying Gladys - Gini's housekeeper - to come by the house twice daily to feed and check on the girls. That is with Gini's other brother, Bill, living there! (He's allergic to cats.)

Her brothers have been getting a bad rap regarding the kitties and I just wanted to clear this up. Mike has truly gone above and beyond for Annie and Emma. I know most of us at Pet Talk would have done all these things - without batting an eye - for Annie and Emma, but Mike isn't a PTer and we are constantly amazing him 'with our kindness' he tells me. For someone that isn't accustomed to treating their furkids like family, all that he has done is a HUGE thing.

I don't mean this to be negative in ANY way, nor is this directed at you, Carole. I just used your quote to reply to is all. :) :D :)

slick
02-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Bump. Looking for any A & E updates. Thanks.

snakemama
02-24-2014, 06:17 PM
I do have an update! The girls are now out of the first room and exploring the rest of the house. Emma prefers to hang out in the first room still, but Annie struts around as though she owns the place. :D

I think Annie's pretty fond of her new mama. :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/lap2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/lap1.jpg

Karen
02-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Awww! "I iz a lap kitteh!" says Annie!

phesina
02-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Sweeet!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

blue
02-25-2014, 01:25 AM
Ya'll are pretty dang amazing. Par for the course with this community.

They look great with their new family.

I was sorry to hear of Gini's passing.

Karen
02-25-2014, 01:36 AM
We are so glad they got a nice home, and even got to stay in California - not that Alaska doesn't have nice people, but I think your place would be a bit of a temperature shock for the orange ladies!

blue
02-25-2014, 02:10 AM
We are so glad they got a nice home, and even got to stay in California - not that Alaska doesn't have nice people, but I think your place would be a bit of a temperature shock for the orange ladies!

With Erp this is a one cat household. Californian ladies adjust just fine to Alaska.

Karen, you have built an amazing community on the web here.

Ya'll did a great thing for Emma and Annie, and most importantly Gini.

snakemama
02-25-2014, 10:09 AM
This morning's update is that the resident boss-cat is starting to relax a bit around them. She still hisses and grumbles a bit, but since neither Annie or Emma has made any move to usurp her boss-cat position, she is getting over it. :) Intros can be so sticky, I'm glad it's going well.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
What great news and pics. If Annie was any more relaxed in the first picture, she would just ooze on out of her new mommy's lap. :love:

slick
02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Tears of joy here!!! Thank you so much for the pictures Cathy. So, we can now say that they officially have a furever home??? Gini is grinning ear to ear. :love:

snakemama
02-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Tears of joy here!!! Thank you so much for the pictures Cathy. So, we can now say that they officially have a furever home??? Gini is grinning ear to ear. :love:

Oooh yeah we can!

Here's Annie and Queen Rosie yesterday. Rosie is apparently still grumbly but as you can see they both look pretty relaxed and they're getting quite near each other now!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/annierosie.jpg

Catty1
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Rosie is a gorgeous tabby! Looks like they will get along ok in the near future! :):love:

snakemama
03-09-2014, 11:23 AM
One more for now...Annie with the other kitty in the household, Daisy. :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/anniedaisy.jpg

lizbud
03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
One more for now...Annie with the other kitty in the household, Daisy. :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/anniedaisy.jpg

Just curious, but how old are Daisy & Rosie ? Are they close in age to Anne & Emma? Looks like Anne seems so comfortable in their presence.:)

snakemama
03-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Just curious, but how old are Daisy & Rosie ? Are they close in age to Anne & Emma? Looks like Anne seems so comfortable in their presence.:)

If I remember correctly, they're about four! :)

cassiesmom
03-10-2014, 12:10 AM
I was just thinking about Annie and Emma :love:! I'm glad to see they are doing well!

slick
03-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Cathy: Have 100% of your expenses been covered now??? If not, PM me with balance that you are out.:love:

snakemama
03-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Cathy: Have 100% of your expenses been covered now??? If not, PM me with balance that you are out.:love:

Yes, they have! The art thread raised a bit extra, actually!:)

Karen
03-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Aww. good to hear! :)

NoahsMommy
03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Mike (Gini's brother) actually sent me and Cathy an amazingly kind letter and a check each as a 'thank you'!! When he found out Cathy spent all that money on their teeth he wanted to be sure she wasn't out ANY money and he commended her on getting such a good price. (Cathy, you ROCK!!!) He is continually touched and amazed at the power and spirit of Pet Talk. (As am I! PTers ROCK too!!)

I know he and Gini shared the same generous, kind spirit. I'm still pretty speechless at such a sweet, unexpected gesture. :) He seems to also have a 'Pet Talker' spirit!

Btw, it's SO nice to see these pics. I'm going to send them to Mike and Gini's nieces. I know they'll be happy to see them. :love: :)

carole
03-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Aww how wonderful,yes pt is amazing ,So happy to see such a great outcome,gini would be so proud of you guys.

snakemama
05-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Rosie and Annie were the two that took the longest to get to be friends....but Annie's charms seem to be working on Rosie now...

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10325616_10152481308859136_1230190038690853262_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10371907_10152481308774136_1712313944640767634_n.j pg

Karen
05-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Awww, so nice to see! Gini must be grinning in heaven!

Randi
05-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Aww, that is wonderful to see! Annie looks so relaxed. I am sure Gini is delighted. <3

phesina
05-17-2014, 06:13 AM
AWWWWWW!!!!!!! What love bugs!!!

Catty1
05-17-2014, 09:49 AM
How SWEET!!! :D:love::love::love: Lovebugs indeed!

How is Emma doing? :)

snakemama
05-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Emma is great too! She's natrually a little more submissive than Annie so she didn't have quite as much trouble fitting in.

lizbud
05-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Oh, thank you for the update & pictures.:) It is so good to know that Gini's girls are doing so well.:love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-21-2014, 12:16 PM
I just found this thread...!
So, I am sorry for not having reacting sooner :o

I am so glad that Gini's orangies found such a good home, where they are loved and cherished !!
You rock Snakemama !!!:love::love::love:

Catty1
05-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Yet another question about these precious girls! - I expect they have slimmed down somewhat? ;):D

snakemama
05-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Yet another question about these precious girls! - I expect they have slimmed down somewhat? ;):D

I don't think they are being weighed regularly, but they ARE on a regimen of exercise and regulated food, and their new mama is a fitness nut, so my guess is yes. :)

Catty1
05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't think they are being weighed regularly, but they ARE on a regimen of exercise and regulated food, and their new mama is a fitness nut, so my guess is yes. :)

LOL! Great! :D