PDA

View Full Version : PT prayers needed for me too.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-04-2014, 05:09 PM
For the first time since I've been living in this house, I am frightened. Not by any people but by this weather and my health. I have been battling a cold since the weekend after Christmas. Because of the storms, and holidays, I have not been able to go anywhere. Plus, the bus only runs 3 days a week. So I have no medicine other than allergy medicine and asprin to take for it.

Today, I just got my front sidewalk cleaned off so I can access the street. The guy who used to shovel it for me has quit on me. I had to wait until I could feel up to doing it. I really had no business being out there but sometimes you just got to do things even coughing your head off and stove up with arthritis. We now have another major storm moving in. We are under major storm warnings from 6 tonight to 6 in the morning. We will get between 2 and 6 inches more snow.

What really frightens me is the warning that just came out. Starting Sunday night we are under wind chill warnings. Our actual temps will be 0 to -10. The wind chill will be -30 below.

If our power goes out, I have no heat. No family or friends near by. The cat's are stocked up for now but if I don't get out next week, they will run low on food. (I did order some food on line for them but it won't be sent until next week or get here until the 14th. On the only 3 days the bus will run: we will have the wind chill problem on Monday, freezing drizzle on Wed and Friday.

I already need some cough med and kleenex and a prescription filled that will just have to wait. Thankfully it's not my bloodpressure med.

I believe prayers are the only way out of this situation. Please pray for me and my cats and that our power stays on and the storms pass. And maybe spare an extra one for the two outdoor kitties I feed. They have to stay outside though all that because they are wild.

Freedom
01-04-2014, 05:19 PM
You got it, prayers from RI!

Living alone is HARD, and I get worried sometimes too, particularly when I am ill.

Here in RI, we have a listing to get on, for single folks, elderly, and people with a chronic illness. This recent snow storm, they organized folks to volunteer to shovel out the folks on the list (I have a self propelled snow blower, so I didn't need help w/ that).

Hang in there. I suspect this cold you have is really making you feel awful; perhaps time to see a doctor? At least, try to get some more meds!

As for the outdoor kitties, as long as you can keep leaving food in a sheltered area for them, they will work things out. It is not what we wish for them, but they are survivors!

phesina
01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Connie, you have our prayers too. That your power stays on, that you get over this cold, that the storms and temperature extremes pass without causing great trouble, that you and the cats remain well and safe and warm.

God bless, and love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
from Pat and cats

lizbud
01-04-2014, 05:56 PM
I will keep you & the kitty gang in my prayers for sure. They have been saying that this snow is mostly the light
fluffy type as opposed to the heavier wet snow that weighs down power lines. Lets hope that's true.:) If you ever
feel really sick yourself, don't hesitate to call for an ambulance. Hopefully the cat food supply will tide you ever until
you can shop again. Would cab fare be to expensive to get to the store & back?

Karen
01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Prayers on the way for you and the kitties, that you all manage to stay warm, and fed - keep yourself well hydrated, breathe steam as much as possible to help fight that cold. In our prayers for certain, stay careful.

Catty1
01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Oh Connie! Prayers that the storm will pass with no ill effects and you all will be warm and safe.

Your brother may not be near by but maybe let him know about the coming storm so he can call you and check on you.

HUGS! :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I will keep you & the kitty gang in my prayers for sure. They have been saying that this snow is mostly the light
fluffy type as opposed to the heavier wet snow that weighs down power lines. Lets hope that's true.:) If you ever
feel really sick yourself, don't hesitate to call for an ambulance. Hopefully the cat food supply will tide you ever until
you can shop again. Would cab fare be to expensive to get to the store & back?

We have no cabs. That's part of the problem. If you don't drive or have someone who can take you, the only way to go anywhere in our town is by the bus. It only runs Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 7:30am to 5 pm. It will run on Tues and Thursdays by appointments only but only to take people to work or to the dr. You need to tell them a day in advance though.

Funny thing, I just went to the dr on the 26th and was fine. Then two days later the sneezing and rest started. I suspect if I was feeling better, I might not be so freaked out now. But then again, I might be.

Thanks everyone for the prayers. It's helps no to feel so alone.:love:

chocolatepuppy
01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Prayers for you and your kittys. I also live alone with a houseful of furkids and fish and this really cold weather and storms make me very scared.
I worry most about losing power.:(

lizbud
01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Prayers for you and your kittys. I also live alone with a houseful of furkids and fish and this really cold weather and storms make me very scared.
I worry most about losing power.:(

I also live with just two dogs & a cat. Losing power is my biggest fear right now too. Maybe if we all just keep checking in
here till this storm clears out (sometime next week) we can cheer each other up. It does help to know there are others in the
same boat at least.:)

Felicia's Mom
01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and the kitties.

chocolatepuppy
01-04-2014, 09:58 PM
I also live with just two dogs & a cat. Losing power is my biggest fear right now too. Maybe if we all just keep checking in
here till this storm clears out (sometime next week) we can cheer each other up. It does help to know there are others in the
same boat at least.:)

Good idea Liz.;) At least we're getting a breather between the storms where I am. Still, you know it's coming. :(

Catty1
01-04-2014, 10:30 PM
MOFF - is there a town department that keeps an eye on people that might be stranded in a storm? Or some kind of agency?

Sending more hugs and prayers. :love:

mon
01-04-2014, 10:33 PM
In our prayers for sure! Not an easy time for you and your pets, hope you feel better so soon! Keep the faith

slick
01-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Prayers for you MOFF. I'll call you tomorrow and see if you are OK. :love::love::love:

Alysser
01-04-2014, 11:03 PM
I am so sorry to read about you predicament. That is very scary to face alone. If I was in your town or closer I would shovel for you or something. :( I will be thinking of you :love:

Karen
01-04-2014, 11:09 PM
I do like the idea of a call chain, just checking in on anyone who lives alone! Glad you're planning on calling tomorrow, Slick!

Litterati
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Blessings that your situation improves. Lots of great advice already provided. Wondering if your pharmacy will deliver your meds. Mine would and I believe they would also add some staples, like milk, etc. they even carry cat food, to the order. Just a thought.

cassiesmom
01-05-2014, 01:09 AM
BIG prayers for MoFF :love:

mbsmum
01-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Prayers on the way to everybody suffering under snow storms.

tatsxxx11
01-05-2014, 04:40 AM
I did find a taxi service by you, Connie, it's less than 1/2 a mile from your house! http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Martinez.Inc.316-587-7814/map Many taxi services will pick up and deliver items if you call ahead to the store. Is there a local pharmacy (not WalMart) you can call, ask them to put aside some cough and cold medicine, Kleenex? I did find this local pharmacy; it's about 3 miles from your house: http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/pharmacy/kansas/fort_scott/mercy_health_center_pharmacy.html?page=directions Try calling them and ask if they deliver, if not, maybe they can put some cough medicine aside for you for a taxi to pick up and deliver; tell them you're alone with no means of transportation, that you're disabled. Most smaller places are more than willing to help out in these situations. Just a couple of options. And definitely call the dr. tomorrow, OK? As long as you don't lose power you and the kids should be OK. But if you do lose power, you need to call the town to ask about any storm emergencies services they're providing, some place you can go until the power is restored; the police should be able to pick you up, or some elder service org., volunteers etc. In fact, you should call them ask today, before anything bad happens so you have a backup plan. It's a serious storm! I know you don't want to leave the kitties alone, but as long as you leave food and water out for them, they should be OK inside the house. Kitties are tough, way tougher than we are! And as catty1 has said, as I told you yesterday, you do need to call your brother just to let him know of your situation, so he can check on you! I'll call you tomorrow, OK? :) And make sure your cell phone is charged, and heat up some food, eat something warm this morning, just in case. Big hugs, and prayers on the way for you and the kitties, including the outdoor kids! XO

Litterati
01-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Also, please keep an "emergency" kit close by: a charged cell phone as mentioned, a battery operated radio (helps just to hear updates), a flashlight with extra batteries, all near a list of local emergency numbers - town hall/electric services etc. Hope this is never needed but best to be prepared in advance. Take care.

Queen of Poop
01-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Sending you prayers and many good thoughts. Darn, this winters a hard one.

Bonny
01-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Positive Thoughts & Prayers sent your way. I hope the electric stays on for you. Turn the radio on to some nice soft music to lift your spirits & sooth your nerves.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone. It helps knowing you are out there. Still snowing here but tapering off I think. (well hope) So far we have at least 4 inches. Hard to tell because it's blowing. It's 13 degrees. According to the weather channel's web site, if we make it through Tuesday, things will get better.

Sandra, I checked and that cab co no longer is in operation. The phone number is not even listed. I think it ran for only a short time in the spring.

We have an convience store about a block away from me, but I can't even walk that far with all the snow. I can't risk a fall because I can't get back up. Yep, I'd be the 'help I've fallen and can't get up' person. I have looked into getting one of those call for help buttons. Way to expensive for me. I carry my cell with me when I'm outside.

Speaking of outside, it looks like another planet out there. Not a thing is moving. The city has not even tried to plow the streets yet. Even the outdoor kitties must be hunkered down, they have not shown up and there are no kitty prints in the snow on the porch. I'm gonna go back to bed myself I think. :love::love:

Randi
01-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Connie, I'm sending lots of positive thoughts and hope the storm won't be too bad. I like the advice Sandra and Litterati gave. Please call some of these people to let them know your situation. Do you have any kind of fireplace if the power goes?

Stay warm and safe - hope you'll feel better soon! :love: (((hugs)))

mrspunkysmom
01-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Oh, hugs to you, moff. Have you tried Meals on Wheels? It has to be approved through your doctor.

Good luck with the weather-storm and hopefully someone can come through for you.

mrspunkysmom
01-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Just a wild thought. Have you called any of the pet rescues or other pet organization for help in getting food and medicine for you and them?

lizbud
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
We have an convience store about a block away from me, but I can't even walk that far with all the snow. I can't risk a fall because I can't get back up. Yep, I'd be the 'help I've fallen and can't get up' person. I have looked into getting one of those call for help buttons. Way to expensive for me. I carry my cell with me when I'm outside.

Speaking of outside, it looks like another planet out there. Not a thing is moving. The city has not even tried to plow the streets yet. Even the outdoor kitties must be hunkered down, they have not shown up and there are no kitty prints in the snow on the porch. I'm gonna go back to bed myself I think. :love::love:

It's good to read all the updates, prayers & suggestions. It is snowing big fat flakes here. Has been for awhile. Funny tho, it must have warmed up last night
because all the snow on my front porch had melted off. I think you are wise not to tempt fate with a walk outside for any distance. Rest well, it will help you get
over the cold. Still praying for the storm to make a quick pass & then move on out to sea.:)

momoffuzzyfaces
01-05-2014, 01:13 PM
The sun actually is out!!! Looks great. Was slightly tempted to go sweep the porch off until I realized the temp is 13 with a wind chill of -7. I just hate feeling trapped inside. But starting Tuesday, the highs will be near 40 for a few days.

Just need to make it through the night with power still on. No heat if it goes off. I would have hot water and my cook stove would still work though. :love:

redbird
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. We also have been snowed on and freezing for the past few days. Are there no neighbors that can be of help to you, it's a shame you have no family nearby.

I am sending prayers your way and hope you're feeling better soon. Hope the power stays on to keep you and kitties warm. Stay safe.

Karen
01-05-2014, 07:45 PM
The sun actually is out!!! Looks great. Was slightly tempted to go sweep the porch off until I realized the temp is 13 with a wind chill of -7. I just hate feeling trapped inside. But starting Tuesday, the highs will be near 40 for a few days.

Just need to make it through the night with power still on. No heat if it goes off. I would have hot water and my cook stove would still work though. :love:

And you have little fur-covered lap heaters if they will cooperate!

Randi
01-06-2014, 05:40 AM
How are you doing today. I saw pictures of the amount of snow you have, on the news. :eek: I really hope you have power still, and the outside kitties are safe and found shelter.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-06-2014, 08:59 AM
So far so good. It's -8 with a wind chill of -22 but the sun is out. That at least makes it look warmer. Going to warm up to 11 so they say. Not seen the outdoor kitties yet today but there are kitty paw prints in the snow so hopefully they are holed up near by.

Thanks everyone, for all the prayers and well wishes. Now if the temps would just warm up and melt this snow!!! :love: ps I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lizbud
01-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Wow, I just got back my Internet, TV cable & phone. They are all from the same network provider. The electric and heat stayed on the whole time.
I consider myself very lucky for that. It's now -12F with wind chill of -37 outside. I feel so sorry for the pups.:( They go outside when they need to but
don't go more that 10ft from the door, then hurry back in.

I put out food for the outside kitties last night & today. It's disappearing so somebody is eating it.:) Stay safe everyone.:)

Karen
01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Welcome back! I am sure whoever is eating that food appreciates it!

cassiesmom
01-06-2014, 05:50 PM
So far so good. It's -8 with a wind chill of -22 but the sun is out. That at least makes it look warmer. Going to warm up to 11 so they say. Not seen the outdoor kitties yet today but there are kitty paw prints in the snow so hopefully they are holed up near by.

Thanks everyone, for all the prayers and well wishes. Now if the temps would just warm up and melt this snow!!! :love: ps I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More prayers and (((HUGS))) for MoFF and your inside and outside kitties :love:

krazyaboutkatz
01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm just now seeing this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

chocolatepuppy
01-07-2014, 05:28 AM
I hope everyone made it through last night ok. Areas not far from me had power outages.:(

Going up to a warm 4*F today and a better than last night 2*F tonight!;)

Randi
01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Oh Liz, you're also in the middle of it, aren't you! Glad t hear that you've had heating the whole time and your TV cable and phone are back on.

I wish more would build little houses with blankets in for the outside kitties, Good to hear yours are fed. :)

Keep warm everyone! :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
01-07-2014, 10:13 AM
We've warmed up to 20 here and are supposed to get to 37 this afternoon. I sure hope so and that it starts melting this snow. I was hoping to get out tomorrow but that looks doubtful now. The city keeps plowing my sidewalk under. So insead of the 4 to 5 inches of soft snow, I have at least a foot and half of hard packed snow at the end. Just don't feel up to even trying to get through that. Not only is my cold, which I thought was better worse, but so is my arthritis.

I may call tomorrow and see if the bus could pick me up behind my house in the alley. I would have to wade through the snow in my yard but would at least be able to get out. Hopefully the drivers would call someone to come pick me up should I fall. I could at least get some med for my cold and some more soup and kleenex and my other med I need filled.

We are to have snow again Wed night. Only an inch they say. After that, the temps should really start warming up. In the 50s over the weekend. So, all in all, I should be able to get out for sure next Monday.

lesson learned: start stocking up supplies for me and my cats for next winter in July!!!!

Karen
01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
We've warmed up to 20 here and are supposed to get to 37 this afternoon. I sure hope so and that it starts melting this snow. I was hoping to get out tomorrow but that looks doubtful now. The city keeps plowing my sidewalk under. So insead of the 4 to 5 inches of soft snow, I have at least a foot and half of hard packed snow at the end.

Could you call anyone from the city, and ask for assistance to at least clear that end stuff? Maybe they have volunteers ... or the high school does ...

momoffuzzyfaces
01-07-2014, 02:22 PM
named John, just shoveld my walk for me!!!!!!!!!!

There have been people working on the old run down house next to me off and on for months. I heard someone out shoveling so trotted myself out on my porch and asked if he would shovel my front walk for me. He told me he would be glad too!!!!!!!! Now I can get out tomorrow!!!!!

His aunt is buying that house and they are working on it to fix it up. I asked if he would be interested to shoveling for me the rest of the winter. Of course, I do pay them for doing it. He said he would because he was looking for work and it would help out!!!!!

I'm sure prayers have been answered. Thank you all!!! :love:

Karen
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Yay! What good news, for you, and for him! :)

chocolatepuppy
01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
That's great news!:)

Catty1
01-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Wonderful! Two angels meet!

It's early yet, but I hope his aunt becomes a good neighbour. I wonder if she likes cats? :D

phesina
01-08-2014, 04:40 AM
That's wonderful news!

Continuing prayers and good wishes and warming energies are coming.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Asiel
01-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Just reading this thread now--sorry to be so late but very glad that things are turning out so positively fpr you. Hang in there, spring might come early and it looks like you've found new friends. So happy for you and I hope that cold clears up once you can get your meds.

smokey the elder
01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
That's super! I think neighbors ought to look out for each other.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Finally got out and got some cold medicine this morning and my prescrip I was needing. I will admit to stocking up on some soup and a few things too. We are to have temps in the 40s this weekend so the snow in the back yard should melt so I can go back Monday and get the heavy stuff and completly re stock.

My front steps are steep and slick and I don't take things up them unless I have no choice. Anyway, took some cold med and slept a couple of hours this afternoon. Just what I needed.
Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes and holding my hand through this. You are the best!!! :love::love::love:

Karen
01-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Yay! To soup and medicines and well-deserved nap! Glad to hear it all!

ChrisH
01-09-2014, 04:03 AM
moff, have you every tried online grocery shopping? I live in the UK and have been doing my shopping online for many years and as I have gotten older and less able to get about in bad weather it has become a godsend. I found these links which may be of use to you (if available in your area of course) ...

http://www.usgrocer.com/
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Grocery/976759

... there may be a few local to you ones out there, if you are interested it may be worth a search?

momoffuzzyfaces
01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
moff, have you every tried online grocery shopping? I live in the UK and have been doing my shopping online for many years and as I have gotten older and less able to get about in bad weather it has become a godsend. I found these links which may be of use to you (if available in your area of course) ...

http://www.usgrocer.com/
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Grocery/976759

... there may be a few local to you ones out there, if you are interested it may be worth a search?

I tried it for the first time for canned cat food just over a week ago. I ordered some canned food for the kat kids, just in case I couldn't get out. I ordered it from Amazon. It got here faster than I thought and they seem to like it. Funny thing, it shipped from Benton, AR from their Walmart store. Drove right past ours. We don't have those flavors here though. I never thought about Walmart delivering directly to my door if ordered on line. I'm certainly going to look into that; for groceries too.

That grocery site looks promising too. Thanks for telling me!!! :love: