PDA

View Full Version : Oh good grief, have I lost my mind?

catnapper
01-03-2014, 08:18 PM
A customer came in to the store today. She has a male cat, about a year old, that her granddaughter got for her college apartment. Long story short: the girl didn't realize how much work a cat would be, so she gave grandmom the cat. Grandpa is allergic so they've been boarding the cat to the tune of $400 a month. She was starting to cry as she told me how they've been looking and looking for a home for this cat. She even called the rescue I volunteer for, but there are no foster homes available to take him in. The daughter called her while she was in the store to tell her how the vet apt went today (he has a slight Upper Respiratory Infection thanks to being boarded)

Enter me, and my bleeding heart. I'm going to see the cat on Monday. I just might be back up to 8 cats. I called hubby and told him I had to meet a customer at her home on Monday and how she is trying to get me to take her cat. He said, "oh so you're trying to tell me we're getting another cat?" :D

I said this past summer that the right cat would find me.... that I didn't want a kitten and it would be the situation where it had a home but the owner couldn't keep it anymore. I worry that I'll upset the current balance we have --- I have seven very happy, very content, very confident cats. But maybe this young'un will be a good playmate for Mystic (so he won't chase Pouncer for "fun" anymore) Or.... new kitty and Mystic can team up and corner Pouncer :rolleyes:

Oh, and if I take this cat, she BETTER buy the chairs from me! :p

kuhio98
01-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Yep, you've lost your mind and we wouldn't have it any other way! :p
We've all been there. I'm just loving this Grandma and Grandpa that have been boarding the cat instead of dumping it at a kill shelter.
Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed that it all works out.
And yes, she blasted well better buy the chairs from you. Point out that you are saving her $400 per month in cat boarding! :D

catmandu
01-04-2014, 09:42 AM
I felt that way too catnapper when I took in the Empress , Sydney Colby Groucho and then Terrance Jeffrey , a Big Tom who was two yeras old and had some bad habits.
But I know that taking these Kittens and Cat were the only way to break the chain of unwanted Kittens.
We know that that Kitten will fit right in Cats of the Future are so adaptable.
Bless You for having a heart.:love::love::love:

phesina
01-04-2014, 10:59 AM
oh, God bless you, catnapper, and God bless that little kitty and may he and the current residents adapt to each other delightfully, and God bless those grandparents for boarding him at great expense and getting him needed vet care rather than just dumping him outside or else at the nearest kill shelter.

And may your customer enjoy her new chairs that she's about to buy!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
01-04-2014, 01:48 PM
You have not lost your mind, I promise. It is safely tucked away somewhere - probably under some piece of furniture with a few dusty, fur-coated cat toys! ;)

Prays it all goes relatively smoothly!

Catty1
01-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes! :D Prayers for a continuing peaceful kitty krew! :love:

catnapper
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that we have a temporary new member of the household: Aiden, my son's Boston Terrier. He moved back from Florida with his fiancé and they're staying with us until they find a place. Lord know how long that'll take :rolleyes: They have to adjust to one black and white bundle of energy, why not adjust to another black and white one? One barks, they other meows.

Aiden came in from Florida a couple hours ago. Callie thinks he's just another cat, and the cats have not come into contact with him.

mrspunkysmom
01-05-2014, 03:38 AM
Hugs to you and the grandparents. Hope all goes well.

catnapper
01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Well, I went to the customer's home today and left without a cat --- the daughter currently has him. I'm not sure I understood the reasoning why he wasn't there, but I urged her to contact the rescue via email - the rescue's leader told me to have the lady email her, and we'd post the cat on Petfinder for her. Grandmom liked the whole Petfinder idea and being able to choose the new cat owner herself. I explained making sure she lists an adoption fee, and why. I left without a kitty. Everything happens for a reason. I guess the reason here is for me to keep my options open. IF I'm meant to have 7 cats it'll stay as it is. If one is meant to find me, that'll be a good thing too.

Funny thing though, Hubby went to the appointment with me because I had some heavy stuff to take to show her, but stayed in the car after he carried things in and out of the house. As we're driving away, a couple miles out, he says, "Oh! where's the cat?!?!" :D

mrspunkysmom
01-06-2014, 03:32 PM
These are the situations I do my best to stay away from. But I wish the best for all concerned, most especially the cat.