PDA

View Full Version : SNL skit about the fake ASL interpreter - thoughts?

CountryWolf07
12-16-2013, 12:54 PM
My mom & uncle were talking about this skit yesterday and I hadn't had the chance to see it until today. I'm not really sure about to feel about this but I'm not surprised. It's American Sign Language, a form of communication that the deaf community relies on and a huge part of who they are. I had to rely on it growing up until I started speaking so it was and still my first language. Mixed feelings about it, I have to admit that. I DO understand they're poking fun at the fake interpreter, though but still… I GUESS maybe I am being a bit oversensitive but I am deaf.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/obama-mandela-cold-open/n44342/ is the skit if you wish to check it out.

phesina
12-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't think they were making fun of the fake interpreter or any ASL interpreters or anything to do with ASL.

What they were making fun of was that this whole screwup happened at all. Somebody did not do their job checking this guy out to make sure he really was who he claimed to be and had the capability he claimed to have, when he was going to be within a couple of feet of President Obama and other world leaders.

smokey the elder
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Apparently there is a South African sign language and the South African deaf community said he was signing gibberish.

CountryWolf07
12-17-2013, 09:14 AM
They may not be making fun of ASL or its culture, but to "fake sign"/"gibberish" and continue that as a joke is kind of making a mockery out of the language. :roll eyes:

But you're right - someone did not do their job right and caused all of this. Sad. Did they ever talk about what was going to happen to that fake interpreter?

lizbud
12-20-2013, 10:09 AM
But you're right - someone did not do their job right and caused all of this. Sad. Did they ever talk about what was going to happen to that fake interpreter?

The man has been admitted to a psych hospital according to this report.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/19/21969085-fake-interpreter-from-mandela-event-is-admitted-to-psychiatric-hospital-report?lite